Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's not a question of humor. I can do w/o a woman (Lilith) being repeatedly stabbed by her captor in my Borderlands (offscreen, but so what).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Rinkles posted:

It's not a question of humor. I can do w/o a woman (Lilith) being repeatedly stabbed by her captor in my Borderlands (offscreen, but so what).

This 1950s are over grandpa. Now people of all sexes can be stabbed in videogames

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

CJacobs posted:

Anthony Burch is a bad lead writer and so are the rest of the Borderlands writing staff because the plot is full of holes, useless padding, monkey-cheese humor, and they expect you to take all this with a grin because they occasionally poke fun at themselves while continuously demonstrating the things they are making fun of. They try to handwave it away with the fact that the game does not take itself seriously but that does not in any way make it funny or enjoyable. I laughed a few times while I was playing but that doesn't mean the writing is good.

A trillion times this.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

I bet they let that bitch vote too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
not a fan of daggering in general, tbqh

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rinkles posted:

not a fan of daggering in general, tbqh

You must really hate the Walking Dead games then!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

It actually makes Lilith's incredible bitchiness in TPS make a little more sense, at least. A touch of PTSD on top of her already iffy mentality goes a long way toward explaining her terrible behavior in TPS backstory.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The characters in BL2 were genuinely funny and interesting. The story was hardly a gem, but it was serviceable and did a good job moving things forward.

TPS's characters were incredibly dull and I hated pretty much all of them. And the plot was a foregone conclusion, being a prequel and all, so... yeah. It had good moments, but certainly wasn't anything special.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Party Boat posted:

The evil CEO of Maliwan will wear a turtleneck.

:allears: Is it too soon to battle against evil space Steve Jobs? I hope it's not too soon for evil space Steve Jobs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure it's been stated the maliwan ceo is a woman. Of course that doesn't mean a plot can't have her usurped.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty sure it's been stated the maliwan ceo is a woman. Of course that doesn't mean a plot can't have her usurped.
Lilith goes insane(r), takes over Maliwan, starts wiping out every human structure on Pandora to return it to its natural state.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm all for Lilith becoming the villain in BL3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

I'm all for Lilith becoming the villain in BL3.

If Lilith slowly going nuts is actually leading up to her becoming a villain, I will be retroactively okay with her being such a loving awful character in TPS. But it's not leading up to that. The story of Borderlands deserves no optimism.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I won't be fully okay with it but it will less terrible for sure.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Sheesh. So many people think the story in BL2 is so bad, I'm curious what exactly you're comparing it to? I thought it was just fine for a game about shooting and looting. I don't expect a Game of Thrones level of story there.

If you want a good Borderlands story go play the Tales game. It's fantastic.

Also Krieg is still the best character and I'm pretty sure Burch had some hand in making/writing him, so you're all wrong and dumb.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I can think of a lot of games with writing that is inarguably worse than Borderlands and are actually supposed to be taken seriously but I can't think of one whose writer draws so much goon hatred.

Do people fall over themselves to call out the writers for Bioware games?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Save for the bookend scenes and trying to justify all the goddamn backtracking, the TPS' story is better than 2, but not as good as 1 (which didn't have a story to screw up). That said, the painfully inane humor (poo poo like the Bosun mission, RK-5 dialogue, everything in the Hyperion Hub of Heroism) is still killing any interest I had in the series. I miss the Mad Max 1 feel of the first game.

Does anyone have a rundown of what got announced at PAX this weekend?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

deadly_pudding posted:

:allears: Is it too soon to battle against evil space Steve Jobs? I hope it's not too soon for evil space Steve Jobs.

Sorry, space Steve Jobs was one of the founders of Hyperion. Check out the portraits of them hanging around helios. (I think they're all together in jacks office)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Jibo posted:

I can think of a lot of games with writing that is inarguably worse than Borderlands and are actually supposed to be taken seriously but I can't think of one whose writer draws so much goon hatred.

yes they do

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Jibo posted:

Goons were tripping over themselves to mock Bioware when Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were released, it still continues to this day even.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Judge Tesla posted:

Goons were tripping over themselves to mock Bioware when Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were released, it still continues to this day even.

Ah yes, the overlooked gem Dragon Age 2. The game that dared to introduce Jig Dancin' Frankenstein Mom when nobody else would.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Does anyone have a rundown of what got announced at PAX this weekend?

Aurelia the Baroness is Lady Hammerlock, Sir Hammerlock's sister. There was a trailer for her, dunno if that's up anywhere but it showed her with Brick and Mordecai in Moxxi's moon bar for some reason, and then she froze everyone. She's a mean lady! She comes out tomorrow, Jan 27th. They showed some gameplay of her and went over her skill trees which were leaked a while ago. Her action skill looks like a mini blizzard AOE effect that can move from enemy to enemy to deal constant cryo damage and freeze dudes. You can command the shard to move to an enemy of your choice, and canceling it early refunds some of the cooldown time. Her melee attack is a very posh backhand slap.

The campaign DLC will involve going inside Claptrap's mind. :science:

The next Tales episode doesn't have a release date yet but will have Scooter in it.

They are finally going to start working on Borderlands 3 and are hiring a bunch of people to do that. Right now they're working hard on Battleborn, which actually looks pretty cool tbh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

The next Tales episode doesn't have a release date yet but will have Scooter in it.

Excellent. There was far less Scooter in TPS than I would have liked and I am glad they are rectifying this mistake in Tales from the Borderlands.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Aurelia's official skill tree is up: http://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltrees/aurelia-plus.html

There's some small changes from the leaked tree, which include capping Wait for It at 10 stacks but making I Never Miss even better.

Snicker-Snack fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 27, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The middle tree got a LOT of changes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What plot holes in Borderlands 2 do you guys mean? Besides the quest where you kill yourself despite New-Us not being canon.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RatHat posted:

What plot holes in Borderlands 2 do you guys mean? Besides the quest where you kill yourself despite New-Us not being canon.

I think the only one that bugged me was Roland dying in one shot despite everything implying he should have a shield on. It's still probably under the umbrella of general video game-isms that you should just ignore, but unlike the "lol why didn't they use a phoenix down on aeris" one it's closer to being actually annoying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I talked about plot holes I was mostly talking about TPS which has even more, namely the fact that the frame story does not work if you're not playing as Athena or don't have an Athena with you. The story falls apart LITERALLY immediately, the second you hit play, and it can never possibly recover because it doesn't make any sense. I'm 100% certain they did it that way so that they could tell their story without making 4 different opening and ending animations for each character (to not even speak of the fact that Athena is the only one that is still alive post-Borderlands 2 anyway) but god drat what a lazy fuckin way to write a game with a frame story.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CJacobs posted:

When I talked about plot holes I was mostly talking about TPS which has even more, namely the fact that the frame story does not work if you're not playing as Athena or don't have an Athena with you. The story falls apart LITERALLY immediately, the second you hit play, and it can never possibly recover because it doesn't make any sense. I'm 100% certain they did it that way so that they could tell their story without making 4 different opening and ending animations for each character (to not even speak of the fact that Athena is the only one that is still alive post-Borderlands 2 anyway) but god drat what a lazy fuckin way to write a game with a frame story.

Then I guess every other game is a giant plot hole too because if you play as one character you never see the other characters ever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aurora posted:

Then I guess every other game is a giant plot hole too because if you play as one character you never see the other characters ever

That is a good point but it's most certainly a special case for this game because those ones aren't told in flashback format by a character that doesn't have to be present. The games always assumed you would be rolling one Brick, one Mordecai, one Lilith, one Roland for story purposes, and so on for BL2, but Pre-Sequel is the first game that officially makes it so that the story is being told to you, the player, by someone who doesn't have to be there. It makes sense for Marcus to narrate the adventure as it's happening because Marcus is not part of the events unfolding. It doesn't make sense for Athena to do the same because she's retelling things that didn't happen to her from the first person. It's stupid and lazy.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 27, 2015

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Or maybe it's a handwave thing so you don't have NPC party members that are just the rest of the Vault Hunters and it's assumed they're actually there for the story. There's no way Nisha or Wilhelm join Jack if they weren't there, too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe. I can see your point. I guess it's a moot argument anyway because the other 3 characters (well, now 4 characters) besides Athena are dead, so even if they did want to play it in a way that made some drat sense they couldn't because she's the only one left to tell the story in the first place.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's not really a plot hole so much as it is lazy writing/game design.

CJacobs posted:

Maybe. I can see your point. I guess it's a moot argument anyway because the other 3 characters (well, now 4 characters) besides Athena are dead, so even if they did want to play it in a way that made some drat sense they couldn't because she's the only one left to tell the story in the first place.

They could easily retcon Nisha as not dead (either the sidequest never happened or she faked her death after being shot by you), they could discover a backup of Wilhelm's brain or something, same with Claptrap.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I wouldn't call it a plot hole but lilith saying you go alone to savr her boyfriend person she didn't know. She just goes to sanctuary.

If she had started to go with you then gets message sanctuary was being attacked it would make better story

I kept asking why do I care to save Roland when no one else does

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I get the feeling I missed a lot in not viewing this thread or playing the game itself. Or maybe nothing was really missed. I dunno.
Still, yeah, I agree on the whole "writing's not too bueno" thing. And even the main idea of the series (read: loot and pillage for guns to loot and pillage with) wore out I think. Or it's still somehow there, but muddled. With that in mind... I'd like to make BL3 plots that will never get picked up because Gearbox/can't be hosed to click that hirin' link.

Idea 1: Four people want to leave Pandora. It now sucks, corporations are still mining it out, and let's just say Lilith goes overboard again because screw it. Plot's less focused on getting loot and more on getting out. End result is just everyone dies except for the four. Also Pandora blows up somehow. Salt the earth for future games, so to speak.
Idea 2: Aim for the future. As in, everyone from BL1 to BL2 is now dead dead. Save fan faves because because. No more vaults, but there is a new goal: Survive in a twisted game someone made. Basically Battle Royale but not-serious and probably really crap. End result is one guy lives, kill the big bad, and et cetera.
Idea 3: Just make likable NPCs into playable characters with trees and poo poo. Plot's just "poo poo let's usurp control: the game". End result's just they're filthy loving rich and have the entire drat planet. The end.

... in other words, storyline's done for, so might as well do drugs and make poo poo up. Can't do any worse to the already off plot.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

mycot posted:

I think the only one that bugged me was Roland dying in one shot despite everything implying he should have a shield on. It's still probably under the umbrella of general video game-isms that you should just ignore, but unlike the "lol why didn't they use a phoenix down on aeris" one it's closer to being actually annoying.

Another neat thing about that part is that Angel doesn't want Lilith going into the control core due to her being a siren but doesn't care if Maya goes in. :v:

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Borderlands 3: You play as Mr. Jakobs, Torgue, (Cloned/robot/dopple) Jack and Mrs. Tediore, with Dahl/Maliwan/Vladof/Bandit supporting cast/dlc chars. A new corp shows up and is making fuckin great guns everybody loves so people stop buying old guns and poo poo. The old manufacturers spokesmen/CEOs show up to wreck their poo poo.

I just really want to play as Torgue, honestly.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Another neat thing about that part is that Angel doesn't want Lilith going into the control core due to her being a siren but doesn't care if Maya goes in. :v:

That's something that really would have benefited how the Presequel's/later DLC's had character specific lines.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jibo posted:

Bioware writers are flawed but as far as I know none of them have pressured their wives into an open relationship then thrown a bitch fit when this results in them getting zero sex, culminating in the games being used as an outlet for their sex and dating problems.

Burch is pretty loving pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

culminating in the games being used as an outlet for their sex and dating problems.
This sounds like Dragonage 2/Inquisition to me.

• Locked thread