Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're smushing together a lot of stuff here. "The moon is an egg" is a perfectly good idea, but when you get young-ish children getting confused and annoyed over the episode because "that's not how eggs work" (or words to that effect) perhaps you have strayed a little far from the path. There is obviously a difference between that and me whipping out one of the text books that I've got under this monitor (An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory by Peskin and Schroeder and Graph Theory by Bondy and Murty) and flicking through to find exactly the page that details why the episode is inaccurate*.

Also I like how you've implicitly decided that Hard Sci Fi is not part of human creative endeavour.

So what if kids know that's Not How Eggs Work? Some of them will get that the biomechanics aren't the point, and those that don't? Well, unlike the adults with the same wonko hang-ups, the kids might grow out of it.

Besides, "hard" SF isn't really any more realistic than anything else. Even the most "possible" story is still full of the more subtler unrealities - contrived events, coincidences, and all those other narrative quirks we all agree to ignore because that's the point of storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

So what if kids know that's Not How Eggs Work? Some of them will get that the biomechanics aren't the point, and those that don't? Well, unlike the adults with the same wonko hang-ups, the kids might grow out of it.

So your answer to that point is "Some children are watching Doctor Who wrong". You've gone off the deep end.

DoctorWhat posted:

Besides, "hard" SF isn't really any more realistic than anything else. Even the most "possible" story is still full of the more subtler unrealities - contrived events, coincidences, and all those other narrative quirks we all agree to ignore because that's the point of storytelling.

Contrived events, coincidences and narrative quirks are probably the most realistic part of storytelling. In real life, things just happen all the time for no reason.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kids are dumb. That's why they're kids. I was an incredibly dumb kid.

That said, I don't think there's necessarily a wrong way to WATCH Doctor Who, but I think there are wrong ways to criticize it.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
The biggest problem with the egg, science aside, is that its artificiality is rendered bare. It's wholly and entirely designed as a mechanical plot element, and it strains credulity because of this. It doesn't feel real, it feels like something a writer cooked up to create a certain scenario and have certain effects, and then could be easily tossed away.

Also, I mean, the whole life cycle of the drat thing is bonkers. It can't be unique, there was at least one more of the things flying around out there. And does this mean the earth is a fixed point for an extradimensional space dragon ovary? The mind reels.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

StatementsThatAreAntitheticalToTheIdealsThatWentIntoProducingTheSubjectOfTheThread.txt

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I loved the "oh it's unique and wonderful you can't kill it" idea, as if its lifecycle hadn't caused the death of thousands of species on Earth already.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I loved the "oh it's unique and wonderful you can't kill it" idea, as if its lifecycle hadn't caused the death of thousands of species on Earth already.

Unlike humans?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

StatementsThatAreAntitheticalToTheIdealsThatWentIntoProducingTheSubjectOfTheThread.txt

"Kids are dumb" and "kids should be treated as though they were intelligent" are not incompatible statements. That's how the kids get smarter - you make them exercise their minds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

josh04 posted:

Unlike humans?
I don't see what that's got to do with it.

It's a creature whose lifecycle causes a catastrophic amount of destruction. It's all well and good to say that you shouldn't kill it because it's unique and magical, but by doing so you're dooming a shitload of other stuff that's arguably just as special.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

Kids are dumb. That's why they're kids. I am an incredibly dumb kid.

I fixed this for you. Everyone has a phrase where they believe that all art is pure and can only be judged as some higher level emotional and thematic canvas. But it's bullshit. Some art sucks because it's so widely implausible it can invalidate the weight of its own emotions and themes, and some art sucks because they don't even try to make it good.

Trust me, only a handful of writers in this industry, and I'm speaking from personal experience, actually think what they do is art, the majority just see it as work, and their basically painting by numbers for a pay cheque.

Also, the idea that someone can view art wrongly because it doesn't align to your view point is the most teenage angst faux-deep view its possible to hold.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"But the moon isn't make of rock and stone, is it? It's made of eggshell. Which is basically limestone...on second thoughts, nuke the fucker".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a creature whose lifecycle causes a catastrophic amount of destruction. It's all well and good to say that you shouldn't kill it because it's unique and magical, but by doing so you're dooming a shitload of other stuff that's arguably just as special.

Again, unlike humans? The Doctor explicitly makes this comparison back in Deep Breath.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

josh04 posted:

Again, unlike humans? The Doctor explicitly makes this comparison back in Deep Breath.
Again, I don't see what your point is.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'd have cared a lot less about the bad science in Kill the Moon if they hadn't spent a bunch of time at the start of the episode talking about how the moon was unusually heavy and that the increased gravity was causing tides that caused massive destruction and so on. They made me think about the science at the start and then spent a lot of time ignoring it.

rargphlam posted:

The biggest problem with the egg, science aside, is that its artificiality is rendered bare. It's wholly and entirely designed as a mechanical plot element, and it strains credulity because of this. It doesn't feel real, it feels like something a writer cooked up to create a certain scenario and have certain effects, and then could be easily tossed away.

These two, together, paint the issue for me. The science of the whole thing, ultimately, doesn't matter; the point is that we get to 'the moon is an egg', the actual science of it is completely secondary. And that should be completely fine...

Except, of course, for the fact that they put so much spotlight on it before we get to that point. The immense focus on the scientific angle only serves to make us notice the fact that none of the science makes sense. I think what they wanted to do was lure people in with a hard science-based story, and then throw us off with the most insanely fantastical swerve they could possibly manage, and that's a daring move I can't help but like in theory. Unfortunately, since they got the science completely wrong, that maneuver falls flat.

The worst part is that it doesn't have to be wrong. I'm sure that there is enough actual science to the hatching of an egg that you could apply it to that early part of the story, not actually change all that much of the plot, and at the very least have a stronger story, if not an actually good one. The sheer wrongness of the science as it is only serves to let the episode down, and while it's okay to have some absurd Non-Science in Doctor Who in general, here it's acting as a poor substitute for Actual Science in a story where there's no reason Actual Science can't be there instead.

I should say that I actually didn't mind Kill the Moon all that much, and the science was not my biggest problem with it (the 'lights on/lights off' solution, and the clear questions it raises when we see it, are). But it is a problem I understand, and it's really not one that would have been hard to fix.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 26, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As someone who gives zero fucks about scientific accuracy in my fantasy series about an immortal space wizard, I still thought the egg stuff in Kill The Moon was poorly executed. And that's the real problem. It doesn't matter that that's not how egg-laying critters actually work any more than it matters that time travel is impossible. It matters that the way it was presented serves to distract from, rather than enhance, the meat of the story.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*In case you didn't know, all post-grad maths and physics text books feature sections in them entitled "Why Doctor Who is mathematically/physically (delete as appropriate for the topic of the book) inaccurate".

Sounds like someone skipped Block Transfer Mathematics. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fungah! posted:

Other Valhalla facts: It's not very good. Not bad or anything, but I didn't enjoy it much. Just seemed like so much dead air.

Finally got around to finishing it, and the CD extras section made it all worthwhile.

Summary: Michelle Gomez says that she'd really like to play the Doctor and Sylvester McCoy hopes they eventually cast a Doctor with a thick Scottish accent. :3:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I've got a fairly big issue with any television episode where the entire "adventure" could have instead just been the protagonist and their sidekicks sitting around playing cards for their duration and nothing of substance would have changed.

There's going to be a problem -> outside forces develop their own solutions -> there are no consequences to this solution -> everything is hunky dory just... bothers me on a level worse than the "it was all a dream" ending, because at least with the dream sometimes it's a fun ride or opportunity to explore things with long reaching consequences that the program's premise isn't equipped to deal with, rather than an active chastising for thinking that wanting active involvement by the protagonist is something desirable and cool. It says "No, just leave everything alone, and it'll be fine." Which, you know, as a medicine taker (I have very bad migraines), and someone who works regularly with the mentally ill, I know it isn't.

And even more unfortunately, the "Something bad turns out to be something good" aspect makes me directly compare this episode to one of my very favorite, "Gridlock", where it suffers even worse in contrast, because "Gridlock" is one of the best episodes of nuWho, and, I'd even wager, best Doctor Who episodes period. There, it turns out that the traffic jam isn't some evil plot by the Macra or Novice Hame and the Face of Boe to enslave humanity, or a twisted ploy to remove undesirables from the outside world by an evil government; it was actually a last ditch effort to by the dying government to save humanity. But it's a salvation that can't last, and requires the Doctor and Martha to move it that extra last step, to really save humanity and let them move on.

Enough to make me stop watching? Nah. Every show has bum episodes. But I didn't like it, especially after having high hopes due to the Blake reference in the title.
I disagree. There are plenty of great narratives about a few people holding out and having no affect on the greater problem being solved. War movies. zombie movies. Irish plays. This one was just told poorly and focused on the event instead of the characters.

Also, I wouldn't hate kill the Moon nearly as much if the following dialogue would have appeared anywhere in it...

Person: "you said it's an egg, that's not how eggs work."
Doctor: "oh you and your puny human brain. What is it like in there? It's a space dragon who's species is at least as old as the universe itself, it feeds on time energy and converts it to mass. The more time ruptures near it, the heavier and closer to hatching it gets. I'm sorry if it doesn't work like your chickens and come in a dozen on the market shelves."
Person: "If it feeds in time energy, why chose earth? It's not like we rupture time time."
*Clara looks at the Doctor and cocks her head*
Doctor: "Well, something, around earth must. Quite often... probably for really good reasons."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

RodShaft posted:

Person: "you said it's an egg, that's not how eggs work."
Doctor: "oh you and your puny human brain. What is it like in there? It's a space dragon who's species is at least as old as the universe itself, it feeds on time energy and converts it to mass. The more time ruptures near it, the heavier and closer to hatching it gets. I'm sorry if it doesn't work like your chickens and come in a dozen on the market shelves."
Person: "If it feeds in time energy, why chose earth? It's not like we rupture time time."
*Clara looks at the Doctor and cocks her head*
Doctor: "Well, something, around earth must. Quite often... probably for really good reasons."

I can hear capaldi saying those lines

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

That said, I don't think there's necessarily a wrong way to WATCH Doctor Who, but I think there are wrong ways to criticize it.

DoctorWhat, you do realize that "Suspending disbelief is the wrong way to consume fiction" is an idea that is possibly even more bizarre and alien to the world of criticism than continuity nerddom, right? I like the moon egg, but you do need a proper grounding in "reality," whatever that means for the particular work, for the tone and feel of a story.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The problem with the lack of scientific accuracy in Kill the Moon isn't with the inaccuracy itself, but rather that it is used to completely negate the consequences of the decision that was made. Having the moon be an egg all along is fine, it's completely impossible but it's central to the story and introduces an interesting conflict. The whole thing falls apart when the creature lays a new moon with the same size in the same location. This is pretty absurd even by Who standards, but the main issue is it that it breaks the laws of physics so that Clara and co can essentially have their cake and eat it too by saving the creature and having absolutely no effect whatsoever on the Earth. It completely ruins the moral dilemma. Yes, they weren't sure what would happen, possibly nothing, but the way it happened seemed like a major cop-out, and its why the lack of scientific accuracy sticks out like a sore thumb in this episode while it is completely acceptable in others. It would have been way more interesting exploring an Earth that has no moon, but instead the status quo is maintained.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The thousands of people killed by it weren't on screen so their mourning families don't get a say. Unless they're in Europe in which case they get to turn off their houselights.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Unless they're in Europe in which case they get to turn off their houselights.

Please, like the government didn't cut the power for them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Space dragon, what are you talking about? I was just going to bed!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Kill The Moon is the first episode of television where the ridiculous pseudoscience actually offended me. And I say this as someone who has watched hundreds of episodes of Star Trek, Doctor Who, Twilight Zone, X-Files, Fringe, etc. That's how angry this poo poo episode made me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

See that's what I don't get. Why do people have these arbitrary thresholds for scientific accuracy? It's so strange but people seem to cling to these random standards of "acceptability" or have limits to where they can "suspend their disbelief" and I just don't understand the mindset. I can "suspend my disbelief" indefinitely but it seems like other people can't?

So that's why I rage against "suspension of disbelief": because so many people seem to be so bad at it that they ought to try approaching media from an angle that they might get more out of.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I, too, get to arbitrarily decide the standards by which I consume media

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

See that's what I don't get. Why do people have these arbitrary thresholds for scientific accuracy? It's so strange but people seem to cling to these random standards of "acceptability" or have limits to where they can "suspend their disbelief" and I just don't understand the mindset. I can "suspend my disbelief" indefinitely but it seems like other people can't?

So that's why I rage against "suspension of disbelief": because so many people seem to be so bad at it that they ought to try approaching media from an angle that they might get more out of.

The only one who's been getting continually smacked down and refusing to examine his arguments is you. Please take a deep breath and consider your views, and possibly your choices in outerwear.

I could go into detail about how that script's main fault is that it used "suspension of disbelief" to cheat its way out of its own stakes, but since that'd make it like the fourth time I trotted that argument out I think I'll just let it rest in the hay. That old girl's been put through her paces.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Today I'm watching The Expendables 2 and will consume it in the manner of someone who is orgasmically pleasured by the sight of things exploding near some elderly action heroes.

Tomorrow I watch Even Dwarves Started Small, I shall decide closer to the time if I will use the same criteria.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

You really are the perfect person to spearhead a goon wiki project.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

A good example of the problem with this thinking is the movie The Happening, in which, halfway through a suspenseful movie about conspiracies, a person suddenly flies off into the sky and it immediately and accidentally becomes a comedy.

Stories (at least many, and certainly Doctor Who), intend to move us through empathy with the characters, and when a sense of unreality forces us to become detached from those characters, it undermines the intent behind the art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Tennant has taken the role of Zebediah Kilgrave (the Purple Man) on Marvel's AKA Jessia Jones, the second of their Netflix series.

That's one way to distance yourself from a previous role.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Basically DoctorWhat, imagine if we had a tense Doctor Who episode where the Doctor could do a number of things supported by the story, but instead, to save the day, he just starts flying around without any build up and then turns all of the bad guys into puppies with the power of SCIENCE LOVE.

That's the kind of writing you invite when you go down this path, utter and completely nonsensical trite.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

What in the good god are you talking about

E: I mean, I've seen some absolutely amazing try-hard efforts to defend some of the dumber ideas in sci-fi in general and NuWho in particular, but basically saying "people just aren't suspending their disbelief correctly" is one of the most out-there ones I've ever seen. Why not just post "just turn off your brain and enjoy it" while you're at it.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 26, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That's a ridiculous slippery-slope argument, Burkion, and I'm sure you know it. The biomechanics underlying the moonegg's life cycle do not constitute a "cheat". Upthread, someone suggested a bit of technobabble to "explain" the increase in mass. If something can be explained like that, then it's not nearly as big a problem as you're all complaining about. You've come up with explanations of your own, the episode didn't need to spell one out with magical science-y words just to satiate you.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

I can "suspend my disbelief" indefinitely but it seems like other people can't?

I'm pretty sure Burkion was replying to this and was using the magical power of hyperbole

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't want people to turn off their brains. I want them to put them to better use. I get frustrated by surface-level critiques and nit-picks because there's so many other ways, far more interesting ways, to critique and analyze art. And when it comes to "scientific accuracy" in Doctor Who, it's all nitpicks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

That's a ridiculous slippery-slope argument, Burkion, and I'm sure you know it. The biomechanics underlying the moonegg's life cycle do not constitute a "cheat". Upthread, someone suggested a bit of technobabble to "explain" the increase in mass. If something can be explained like that, then it's not nearly as big a problem as you're all complaining about. You've come up with explanations of your own, the episode didn't need to spell one out with magical science-y words just to satiate you.

I personally am not talking about To the Moon, which I liked, but about your assertion that the very concept of suspending disbelief is a farce or the wrong way to view fiction, or that believability or in-world authenticity is not important. It's kind of become a slippery slope argument because you tilted the discussion at a 45 degree angle and poured ice all over it, man. :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

forgive me for having cold things on my mind, we're getting 2-3 feet of snow in NYC tonight and it's freezing my brain pretty bad already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

forgive me for having cold things on my mind, we're getting 2-3 feet of snow in NYC tonight and it's freezing my brain pretty bad already.

Yeah, Boston is getting it too, and I actually have to pick up some food from the grocery store on the way home. When I am trampled to death by those people who horde water before a blizzard, please leave a piece of the coat on my tombstone.

• Locked thread