Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
lol i got a dude who's hit 53 home runs so far in AAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm 3 wins away from my last season total with 33 games to play coming off of roster changes this drastic:

- Junior Rosa replaces Peter Higashioka at SuA
- Tom Smith replaces Juan Tavarez at backup C
- Ronald Gonzalez replaces Bernard Lavarnway at SuB
- De Aza Iglesias replaces Pat Knight as Fourth Bench Guy
- Jorge Santos replaces Jorge Mercedes as "awful Jorge shot into the sun midseason"

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Derrick Graves is the only Cleveland player I like.

Sigh

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

No hit by Bud. Nice.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
loving Salem, man

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

If someone can explain to me how Mark Ishikawa doesn't give up a billion dingers every season I'm all ears.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

AlleyViper posted:

If someone can explain to me how Mark Ishikawa doesn't give up a billion dingers every season I'm all ears.

who is this guy and how can i trade for him?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The broken bones posted:

who is this guy and how can i trade for him?

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=5046585

Like Otis Fleming, he's another guy I tried to trade for like 8--9 seasons ago.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

AlleyViper posted:

Because as I have sadly found over my years of being the ground ball king GB rating has dick all to do with how many dingers a guy gives up. It's all splits and pitch ratings as far as I can tell there. And opponent power obviously.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

Because as I have sadly found over my years of being the ground ball king GB rating has dick all to do with how many dingers a guy gives up. It's all splits and pitch ratings as far as I can tell there. And opponent power obviously.

Ask gyro about GB rating not mattering in giving up dingers from all the seasons he had to face Abe Pavlov and His Norfolk Groundballers.

But there's no good reason for Ishikawa having a better HR rate than, like, Ignacio Diaz for instance (and how the gently caress did Diaz have only one 30 homer season in Madison and then all 30+ homer seasons since leaving Madison?). The only thing I can figure is that playing in KC depressed Ishikawa's dingers and it hasn't corrected in just one season in Wrigley.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I've been #1 in ground ball rating from season 25 through this season; often by a wide margin. I have never cracked the top 5 in HRs allowed. In season 24 when I started this GB experiment I was #2 in ground ball rating and #22 in HRs allowed. Now outside of that season I haven't been bottom of the league in HRs allowed but I haven't been nearly where I would expect considering a 1.40+ GB/FB ratio every season and playing in a park that slightly suppresses home runs.

There's a lot of variables in play but my strongest theory is that guys who have a really bad pitch rating or two and catchers without the strongest pitch calling rating who call for those pitches tend to give up more of the long balls. Ishikawa has no bad pitches, so while he's giving up a lot of contact they're not going over the wall.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I really wish I could sort the leaderboard by least HRs given up by qualified pitchers to check into that theory a little harder.

Thanks WiS.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That of course requires that you subscribe to the theory that pitch calling is dynamic enough to be able to mitigate individual pitch ratings and isn't just a blanket pitching performance modifier (something which I've wavered back and forth on over time and currently sit at...not quite either).

Either way, I find it more than a little ridiculous that Ishikawa's HR/9 is better than Ignacio's, and for the moment I'm inclined to chalk it up to KC's park factor's as the primary cause.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 27, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Don't think I've seen this injury before

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

i hate when the sim schedules home/away series against the same team back to back

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I was looking at franchise record stuff earlier today, specifically at pitcher wins with the same franchise. Chick Wehner's currently in a tie for 20th with Mo Thomas at 156, with both of them set to pass Bernie Reyes and Footsie Everett (157 with current NY2 and Charlotte, respectively). Among active players, Deivi Elcano and Cam Surkamp are tied for the lead (185) while still playing for the franchise they have the wins with and Damaso Perez (202) is tops among active players period.

i'd have never guessed the two guys who are tied for first, ahead of Jack Strickland's 235. (I was thinking Angel Solano, although he's tied for 10th with Socks Cashman at 181) Answer: Lee Smith and Glenallen Mercker both have 269

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

Ask gyro about GB rating not mattering in giving up dingers from all the seasons he had to face Abe Pavlov and His Norfolk Groundballers.

But there's no good reason for Ishikawa having a better HR rate than, like, Ignacio Diaz for instance (and how the gently caress did Diaz have only one 30 homer season in Madison and then all 30+ homer seasons since leaving Madison?). The only thing I can figure is that playing in KC depressed Ishikawa's dingers and it hasn't corrected in just one season in Wrigley.
Well gyro plays in a clowndick park made for garbage pissboys

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of garbage pissboys, this is my "I'm playing Austin and 10 games up on the entire NL" lineup.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
fwiw i had a guy in another world who had outstanding everything else ratings and 0 ground ball rating and it went just about how you'd expect it to (oav under .200 but about half the hits he gave up were dingers) so, like, the rating definitely matters to some extent

edit: behold, mo miller

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 28, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

I've been #1 in ground ball rating from season 25 through this season; often by a wide margin. I have never cracked the top 5 in HRs allowed. In season 24 when I started this GB experiment I was #2 in ground ball rating and #22 in HRs allowed. Now outside of that season I haven't been bottom of the league in HRs allowed but I haven't been nearly where I would expect considering a 1.40+ GB/FB ratio every season and playing in a park that slightly suppresses home runs.

Also, here's how the Norfolk Groundball Crew fared when I was working them:

code:
Season  GB:FB          HRs           
18      1.39 (3rd)     186 (7th)    
19      1.42 (2nd)     178 (3rd)
20      1.40 (2nd)     172 (t-3rd)
21      1.50 (1st)     163 (2nd)    
22      1.58 (1st)     184 (3rd)   
vOv

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

fwiw i had a guy in another world who had outstanding everything else ratings and 0 ground ball rating and it went just about how you'd expect it to (oav under .200 but about half the hits he gave up were dingers) so, like, the rating definitely matters to some extent

edit: behold, mo miller

Mom Iller

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I mean I'm glad for any wins right now but i don't really get any pleasure from beating up on 44% stamina Cla Walsh

gardenald fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 28, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Your AL Cy Young ballot, presently:

Sean Priest (legit ace)
Bud McDonald (legit ace)
Cody Roosevelt (legit ace)
Ismael Barrios (legit ace)
Moose Sellers (legit ace)

Your NL Cy Young ballot, presently:

Chick Wehner (arguably the best pitcher in Dimaggio)
Lewis Stammen (ERA above 5 two of the last four seasons)
Matt Cambridge (career 4.37 ERA)
Orlando Mercedes (solid 2/3, career 3.93 ERA)
Jerrod Riley (JERROD RILEY??? )

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm kinda surprised I got Phil Kida for like 70k, but I'm the guy who's gone after Ichiro Zhou and Ronald Gonzalez and Yovani Villafuerte so vOv

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Bo Doyle has way more DINGERS and RIBBIES than Julio Blanco this silver slugger poo poo is rigged

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Devo posted:

Bo Doyle has way more DINGERS and RIBBIES than Julio Blanco this silver slugger poo poo is rigged

Power and speed motherfucker can you speak it

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Psh, your work is so derivative

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

AlleyViper-sempai finally noticed me :swoon:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Need a replacement owner in Clemens, we're in ST so you literally get an entire season for free

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Please get to the end of the season ok, Cla :ohdear:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

nasboat posted:

Need a replacement owner in Clemens, we're in ST so you literally get an entire season for free

gently caress it I'll go, I can keep an eye on a second team

What's the team like

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

if Don Magruder and Pablo Espinosa can each hit 3 dingers in 18 games, 7 out of my 9 starters will have hit at least 20 homers this season woo

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

also this is, going by win-loss, the best team I have ever fielded in the franchise's history since taking it over

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I never thought I'd say this, but I think my team is too old.

edit: also gently caress shane kearns

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gardenald posted:

What's the team like

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/FranchiseProfile.aspx?fid=3702

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

gardenald posted:

What's the team like

I won the division with 63 wins last season. I am going to win it again, but with a winning record because i'm bringing up all my prospects. You'll have a pretty good team, though.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's a good thing my team scored all the runs against gyro because, hey, HBD decided it wanted both of my available catchers to get hurt in one game, in six innings. :waycool:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I think my team is too old.

edit: also gently caress shane kearns

Hey, barring gyro or Arthur sweeping me, you're the only NL team with a winning record against me this season. Austin has a chance to go 0-10

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

I won the division with 63 wins last season. I am going to win it again, but with a winning record because i'm bringing up all my prospects. You'll have a pretty good team, though.

I am graduating all my prospects on a team with already good talent that will actually be watched this year, you are not winning the division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Art would totally win the division if he were still the New Britain Same Great Taste!

• Locked thread