Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So for those who read the names before they download the episode, don't pass up the Melissa Etheridge episode. Spoiler alert - she tries to gift Marc some weed within the first ten minutes of the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I just listened to the Melanie Lynskey episode - I was finishing it tonight as I was driving home on an almost empty road, and the most amazing electric guitar version of Auld Lang Syne came on at the end of the episode. Anyone know who that is? Running through lovely versions on spotify is giving me a rage stroke.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pretty sure Marc's been messing around on the guitar at the end of episodes for a while now

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
It sounded more composed than "messing around" so I wasn't sure it was him.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah he writes stuff for the outros now. It's not pure improv.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Linklater should be worth listening to, if you haven't seen Boyhood yet be sure to check it out. I never thought I'd be upset that a three hour movie was over and wanting more at the end, but hey it happened.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Linklater and Paul Thomas Anderson interviews were great.

Also, Cosby refused to do the show because it had 'gently caress' in the title.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Haha which episode does he talk about that? I've not been listening to WTF so much lately

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Drunkboxer posted:

Haha which episode does he talk about that? I've not been listening to WTF so much lately

Yesterday's show (with Jeff Garmin). I remember him also tweeting this last year

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

That is hilarious.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Bonzo posted:

Yesterday's show (with Jeff Garmin). I remember him also tweeting this last year

That show also had some good Ddeja vu with the Louie episode a while back. "How may times have we had this conversation, Marc?"

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
TJ Miller is going off on twitter about Marc because of some brief mention on the Kumail Nanjiani episode.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

TJ Miller is going off on twitter about Marc because of some brief mention on the Kumail Nanjiani episode.

It was the Mike Judge episode. He also mentioned disliking TJ on an earlier episode from this month.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Yeah you're right.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Is TJ Miller's standup funny?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I watched his special from a few years back once, it wasn't terrible but I wouldn't watch it again.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I like the more recent clips of his that I've seen more than older stuff. He got in a stupid tiff with Dane Cook a few years back for tweeting when Dane bumped him to do a set where he was working out new material (then Deathsquad got involved).

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

what did marc say about him?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Politicalrancor posted:

what did marc say about him?

Regarding Silicon Valley: "I respect these guys and they’re funny guys, but I’m a cantankerous gently caress sometimes, and T.J. Miller, like, sort of as a person always sort of annoyed me. But he’s loving, he’s great, and I know him and I’m a known cranky bastard, but he’s great in that."

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
That's what everyone says about TJ, I don't know why that'd get him worked up. Dude had a growth in his brain and it took people months to realize he was being extra annoying.

Edit: If you ever find yourself watching the most recent Yogi Bear movie, realize that all throughout filming TJ had an arteriovenous malformation growing inside his head.

Edit 2: Upon further research, I guess it wasn't a growth, but an abnormal connection between the arteries and veins in his brain, and it could have existed since birth. It just didn't manifest symptoms until he was filming.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 21, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is TJ Miller's standup funny?

I think his stand up is really funny, but him as just a personality is just fantastic. Him and Eric andre on Anthony Jesselnick's show was one of the funniest and most chaotic half hours I have ever seen.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TJ's stand-up is funny, but listening to him riff is fantastic. He was one of the headliners at a comedy festival that I helped out at, so I saw him do four or five sets over four days and seeing how he would weave in and out of material in different ways each time was truly impressive.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What Marc said is not really anything to get pissed about.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Marc had a guest who did a kickass cover of Masters of War. Unfortunately it was so long ago I can't remember who that was. Any of you know?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Bunk Rogers posted:

Marc had a guest who did a kickass cover of Masters of War. Any of you know?

Eddie Vedder?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

agreed but I'd imagine being around him in professional circles must be loving grating still.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

KinkyJohn posted:

Eddie Vedder?

Na but his cover is good. Its not Ed Sheeran either.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Schwartzdog seems like a very nice guy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

Agreed. But I think it's the second time Maron has thrown shade at Miller now, and I did read something which said that Miller was just loving with Maron to annoy him rather than being genuinely pissed off with him.

However, it will make a great episode if he gets him on.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

ChickenArise posted:

I like the more recent clips of his that I've seen more than older stuff. He got in a stupid tiff with Dane Cook a few years back for tweeting when Dane bumped him to do a set where he was working out new material (then Deathsquad got involved).

The thing that was so bad about this, and what got a few other comedians mad at TJ, was that he started live tweeting the actual jokes that Dane was working on, not just talking poo poo about him. Lots of headliner comics pop into clubs to work on new material and as a consequence other comedians have to wait for them to finish before they can go on. Unless its Dave Chappelle who will drop into a club and do two hours, its usually only 10-20 minutes of a comedian working on a premise or two, fine-tuning them to take on the road, for a tv spot, or for a special. Any hour special or late night talk show you've watched where a comedian has performed, they have bumped a lesser-known comic in a club to refine a bit or get the timing down for a tv spot. It happens and is accepted. To bitch about it can be understandable, but to tweet the actual content of a work in progress is a really lovely thing to do.

Even if it was Dane.

You could even take this into a discussion of west coast versus east coast comedy and how the clubs and comedians themselves are different, but that's a lot to talk about.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

DrVenkman posted:

Agreed. But I think it's the second time Maron has thrown shade at Miller now, and I did read something which said that Miller was just loving with Maron to annoy him rather than being genuinely pissed off with him.

However, it will make a great episode if he gets him on.

Wow it's pretty serious to throw shade like that. I hope Mark Maron doesn't throw shade again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JFC posted:

The thing that was so bad about this, and what got a few other comedians mad at TJ, was that he started live tweeting the actual jokes that Dane was working on, not just talking poo poo about him. Lots of headliner comics pop into clubs to work on new material and as a consequence other comedians have to wait for them to finish before they can go on. Unless its Dave Chappelle who will drop into a club and do two hours, its usually only 10-20 minutes of a comedian working on a premise or two, fine-tuning them to take on the road, for a tv spot, or for a special. Any hour special or late night talk show you've watched where a comedian has performed, they have bumped a lesser-known comic in a club to refine a bit or get the timing down for a tv spot. It happens and is accepted. To bitch about it can be understandable, but to tweet the actual content of a work in progress is a really lovely thing to do.

Even if it was Dane.

You could even take this into a discussion of west coast versus east coast comedy and how the clubs and comedians themselves are different, but that's a lot to talk about.

Yeah it's pretty much something that every comic does to try out material. Chances are if you hear about a comic meeting their idols they'll always tell a story about how so and so showed up that night to do a set and just went on at like midnight or something and yes, it's always at the expense of someone else.. It doesn't matter who the comic is, livetweeting their in progress stuff is something to be frowned upon. I mean Cook is still an rear end, but it's like why bother ripping the piss out of a work in progress?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If I recall correctly, TJ wasn't tweeting the jokes Dane was working on. That's a move that almost no professional comedian would pull on a fellow comic, no matter how mad they were, if for no other reason than it having a huge amount of blowback, regardless of who was "right". He was tweeting about Dane bumping people and doing, like, two hours of rambling, aggressive material that was making the crowd uncomfortable. TJ understood getting bumped because it's Dane's home club and he's earned the right to just walk on. It was Dane going so long, making the show unsalvageable for anyone who had to follow, and making it questionable if there would even still be an audience left. Dane even talked about it a little on Rogan's podcast about how he was in a weird place that night and was working through it on stage.

Again, this is just how I remember it and I could be wrong. Not saying this means anything or lends me any sort of credibility, but I listened to this being discussed from the point of view of someone who does a lot of open mics and I couldn't help but agree with TJ. That said, he absolutely handled it wrong by airing his grievances publicly.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
Little six degrees of separation this episode! I'm kind of excited about this.

WTF has Kevin Allison as a guest this week.
Kevin Allison hosts storytelling show RISK!
I'm a guest on RISK! this week. That's me in the thumbnail.

My brush with fame for today. The downloads for my show have gone through the goddamned roof.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I've been listening to WTF for about a year now (started when Marc reposted the Robin Williams interview) and find most of his interviews pretty good. The insecurity thing can be a bit wearing, but it's part of Marc and I have become used to it. One day I'll get around to subscribing so I can hear his earlier interviews.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Just so you know, the insecurity is about 10% of what it was

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Harry Shearer interview was great. He's a testy fellow but he isn't afraid to tell a story. His time on SNL sounded like a nightmare.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

The Harry Shearer interview was great. He's a testy fellow but he isn't afraid to tell a story. His time on SNL sounded like a nightmare.

A nightmare for other people. In the oral history Live From New York, nobody has anything nice to say about him.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah I thought it was a universally held opinion that Harry Shearer is a massive, pompous prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah I thought it was a universally held opinion that Harry Shearer is a massive, pompous prick.

Even the way he talked about former comedy partners left me with a bad taste. It's obvious that he loves burning bridges. God only knows how The Simpsons staff, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest deal with him

• Locked thread