Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

SourKraut posted:

So I asked this question in the general Warlords thread but haven't gotten a response so figured I might ask it here:

Does anyone here have a rMBP with the GeForce 750m and play WoW? If so, I can send a pm to discuss stuff since performance is less than I was expecting/had read about, and the keyboard area is getting uncomfortably hot with the fan staying on as long as I'm in the game. Not sure what I need to do to make my new shiny laptop not kill itself.

As I said earlier on this page, the fan running is perfectly ok. If it didn't run, your computer would overheat. The heat has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is out the back and top of the case.

If you don't want the fan to ever run, never use your computer. Otherwise be aware that using it in a manner which produces heat is going to cause the hardware to attempt to cool itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

SourKraut posted:

So I asked this question in the general Warlords thread but haven't gotten a response so figured I might ask it here:

Does anyone here have a rMBP with the GeForce 750m and play WoW? If so, I can send a pm to discuss stuff since performance is less than I was expecting/had read about, and the keyboard area is getting uncomfortably hot with the fan staying on as long as I'm in the game. Not sure what I need to do to make my new shiny laptop not kill itself.

I have a 2011 MBP with a Raedon something, it's better than a 650m at least and it plays Wow rather well. The Fans do get annoying after awhile, but the real pain is the heat the video card produces.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sonic Dude posted:

As I said earlier on this page, the fan running is perfectly ok. If it didn't run, your computer would overheat. The heat has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is out the back and top of the case.

If you don't want the fan to ever run, never use your computer. Otherwise be aware that using it in a manner which produces heat is going to cause the hardware to attempt to cool itself.

Trust me, I understand that the fan can and will run, but as mentioned, I have previously seen others comment on using their rMBPs with various games at decent settings or at a scaled 1440x900, 1680x1050, etc., without issues of the fans spinning up and staying high constantly or the keyboard area getting so hot that it is barely touchable.

From reading around online, others have reported on acceptable performance without excessive heating/fan operation also, so I was putting the question out there to make sure that my system (which is from the Apple refurb store, mind you) isn't having any inherent problems itself. For the record, a friend has a late 2013 15" with the 750m also and doesn't seem to have issues with heat, even when playing the same couple of games I've tested so far.

So "the heat has to go somewhere" isn't actually helpful, when the question is "Why is the system producing so much heat when others don't seem to have the issue."

Lord Windy posted:

I have a 2011 MBP with a Raedon something, it's better than a 650m at least and it plays Wow rather well. The Fans do get annoying after awhile, but the real pain is the heat the video card produces.

Uh, the 650m was, at worst, equivalent to the 6770m in the Late 2011 MBPs and, at best, quite a bit better. The 750m is an improvement on the 750m across the board, and so its performance delta to the 6770m would only grow. The only situations where the 6750m or 6770m should see higher performance is when trying to drive a game at the full 2880x1800 resolution, but at 1440x900 it should definitely be above.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

SourKraut posted:

Uh, the 650m was, at worst, equivalent to the 6770m in the Late 2011 MBPs and, at best, quite a bit better. The 750m is an improvement on the 750m across the board, and so its performance delta to the 6770m would only grow. The only situations where the 6750m or 6770m should see higher performance is when trying to drive a game at the full 2880x1800 resolution, but at 1440x900 it should definitely be above.

I was just trying to point out that WoW runs rather well on my 2011. I'd expect the 750m to be better than my GPU. I just know my 6770m is better than my fathers 650m in his iMac. At the same resolution I get better performance.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The fans run when the system gets hot, and the system gets hot when you utilize the CPU or GPU heavily. When comparing two laptops it's possible one has better cooling than the other (ie, one is really dirty) but I'd guess that the game settings are different. Can you turn down some graphical settings? Enable framerate limiting or v-sync?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Must Love Dogs posted:

I ended up going with a refurb rMBP 15, 16gb/512gb with just the Iris Pro graphics and the 2.5 i7. The 13 seemed nice but I don't need to slim down too much since I'm driving most places and not flying.

It just shipped so we'll see how it goes.

You'll have a lot of fun, trust me :)

Just make sure to play around with the display scaling in the control panel like the cool kids do. No need to keep it at "native" retina res when you could have way more screen real estate and still get a gorgeous picture.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

SourKraut posted:

So many weird words

You're running Yosemite, I'll assume.

Check your Activity Monitor and the CPU usage. There's a bug with WindowServer taking too much CPU time. It went away when I checked Reduced Transparency and Increase Contrast in Accessibility. I gained 40-50 FPS in CS:GO after doing this.

And as for people saying they're rMBP doesn't get too hot while playing games, they're lying and you're crazy as hell for assuming that would be the case.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You'll have a lot of fun, trust me :)

Just make sure to play around with the display scaling in the control panel like the cool kids do. No need to keep it at "native" retina res when you could have way more screen real estate and still get a gorgeous picture.

It's a very, very nice computer.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SourKraut posted:

Trust me, I understand that the fan can and will run, but as mentioned, I have previously seen others comment on using their rMBPs with various games at decent settings or at a scaled 1440x900, 1680x1050, etc., without issues of the fans spinning up and staying high constantly or the keyboard area getting so hot that it is barely touchable.

From reading around online, others have reported on acceptable performance without excessive heating/fan operation also, so I was putting the question out there to make sure that my system (which is from the Apple refurb store, mind you) isn't having any inherent problems itself. For the record, a friend has a late 2013 15" with the 750m also and doesn't seem to have issues with heat, even when playing the same couple of games I've tested so far.

So "the heat has to go somewhere" isn't actually helpful, when the question is "Why is the system producing so much heat when others don't seem to have the issue."

I briefly (briefly because I didn't get sucked back in to the addiction) played WoW on my 2013 750M rMBP and it was fine, in my judgement. I think this is a problem of comparing subjective evaluations by different people plus unrealistic expectations on your part.

Yes, the fan will run. Yes, it will get hot. These things have a CPU and GPU which can draw about 100 watts combined when both have lots of work to do, and Apple optimizes their fan control loops to let chips run close to their rated temperature limits. (This lets them reduce the fan speed necessary to get rid of however many watts the computer's using, thanks to some basic thermodynamics.) When you run a heavyweight game like WoW, poo poo's gonna get hot, and the fans will be moderately noisy. The alternative, assuming different fan control algorithms, is somewhat cooler with hilariously awful noise levels.

You're not going to kill it either. Not unless there's a lurking problem like the one which killed so many of the 8600m generation NVidia laptop GPUs, and (knock on wood) hopefully NVidia learned something from all that. Note also that it wasn't actually high temperatures per se which killed 8600m chips, it was thermal cycling between hot and cold. Each cycle flexed the solder joints attaching the silicon chip to its package, which eventually caused fatigue cracking and failure. Running silicon at high temps isn't intrinsically horrible; if people could've kept those problematic 8600m chips at 85C continuously they likely never would have failed.

If you want to keep temps down a bit (to reduce fan noise if nothing else), put it on an open frame laptop stand like the Griffin Elevator while gaming, aim one of those little 5" desk fans at its bottom, and use an external keyboard+mouse. It's clumsy to play WoW on laptop input devices anyways.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Sooo update on the I took my new retina iMac in that was getting the random restarts on the daily in, and they said my computer was having a graphic card problem, but next time when I do my time machine I should only take over documents and applications..not system folders or what not. They ordered me a brand new machine and it got here in a week.

Well, as I began to do the time machine process about 80% of the way in the computer restarts, and goes through the same process of "you have a new mac would you like to transfer your data" so I'm like gently caress it. I do a restart and erase the disk of the hard drive and do a clean install of yosemite. Low and behold I get the random restarts on this one as well. Am I having really bad luck with a receiving bad hardware, or is there something in the software that is occurring?

I should note I installed additional in the machine before turning it on, and this ram was in the last machine. I took it and out, and am waiting to see if i continue to get the random restarts, but i feel like Apple would have seen that when I took in my first machine.

Other issue I am getting is my trackpad for some reason lags every now and then like the bluetooth isn't connecting properly. Keyboard has been fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah it's gonna be that ram you put in.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Random restarts can easily be ram, and if it persists across both machines with clean software you have your culprit.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Agreed on ram, in my experience Apple computers have always been the most picky about it for as long as I can remember. Same thing happened with me and a Mac Pro, even memory that seems to work right on PCs can cause KP/restarts/generally undiagnosable strangeness.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

passionate dongs posted:

Agreed on ram, in my experience Apple computers have always been the most picky about it for as long as I can remember. Same thing happened with me and a Mac Pro, even memory that seems to work right on PCs can cause KP/restarts/generally undiagnosable strangeness.

Especially on the Mac Pros, the ram is crazy crazy specific, in addition to needing to be placed in very specific order.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kingnothing posted:

Especially on the Mac Pros, the ram is crazy crazy specific, in addition to needing to be placed in very specific order.

Yeah, pretty much. I hear a lot from clients bitching about having 'only' 64 GB of RAM max (some do super complicated financial forecasting / statistical programming with huge data sets) so I just shrug and tell 'em to wait for Apple to upgrade or buy a Dell Precision T-whatever.

Apple posted:

Requirements

When you upgrade the memory in your Mac Pro (Late 2013) it must meet these requirements.

1866 MHz DDR3 full length DIMM. Mixing memory speeds is not recommended.
Error-correcting code (ECC).
4GB, 8GB, or 16 GB DIMMs.
Unbuffered (UDIMM) or Registered (RDIMM). Do not mix UDIMMs and RDIMMs.
240 pin DIMM.
1.5 or 1.35 volts.
Use the same size memory modules across all slots to maximize performance.
DIMMs with heatsinks are not supported and may damage the DIMM mechanism.

Important: All DIMMs must be 1866MHz DDR3 ECC compliant. The Mac Pro supports both unbuffered UDIMMs and registered RDIMMs, but it is important not to mix these two types of memory. Mixing UDIMMs and RDIMMs will result in a memory error tone when you turn on your computer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for posting about that. I got a riMac on the 8th. Had a fine 8 days with it and then noticed a restart (waiting at my login screen when I woke up) on the 18th. Had a kernel panic on the 22nd upon a reboot. Had a restart overnight (waiting at login screen again when I woke up) last night.

So that first 8 days was fine but then (so far) had a restart or kernel panic every 2-4 nights since.

Did a hardware test and got no issues but realized I put in 16 extra gb ram (crucial) on the 16th. (Two days before my first restart.)

Just pulled them out and will now just see what happens...

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
So far about a day with the ram out and haven't experienced any of the issues. Weird though that Apple wouldn't spot that as the problem.

This was the ram in my computer

Did I get a bad batch, or order the wrong thing? and I had it installed like so: Apple 4gig / Crucial 8gig / Apple 4 gig / Crucial 8 gig

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Peacebone posted:

So far about a day with the ram out and haven't experienced any of the issues. Weird though that Apple wouldn't spot that as the problem.

This was the ram in my computer

Did I get a bad batch, or order the wrong thing? and I had it installed like so: Apple 4gig / Crucial 8gig / Apple 4 gig / Crucial 8 gig

I don't think it should cause crashes and reboots, but if you pair the ram (4-4-8-8) it should make your computer a bit faster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I don't think it should cause crashes and reboots, but if you pair the ram (4-4-8-8) it should make your computer a bit faster.

You mention 4-4-8-8 but my retina iMac came (4-empty-4-empty). It recognized 8 so when I bought 2x8gb more I slotted them in the empties for 4-8-4-8. It read all 24 in my about this Mac > Memory 4 4 on top /8 8 on bottom.

Did I have it slotted right? Are there variations? Could that be why I had restarts, etc...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

You mention 4-4-8-8 but my retina iMac came (4-empty-4-empty). It recognized 8 so when I bought 2x8gb more I slotted them in the empties for 4-8-4-8. It read all 24 in my about this Mac > Memory 4 4 on top /8 8 on bottom.

Did I have it slotted right? Are there variations? Could that be why I had restarts, etc...

On PC motherboards, you should pair like with like in similarly coloured slots to get the benefit of dual channel.

I don't have a retina iMac so I'm not sure how their slots are arranged. You should look at the manual to figure out how to pair them up.

In general though, in my experience, channels are physically beside each other. So you'd want 4-4-8-8 or 8-8-4-4.

If the RAM is good, it wouldn't cause restarts. It would just cause poorer than optimal performance.

But I have no idea how it actually is on the retina iMac motherboard...

Pivo fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 25, 2015

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Feenix posted:

From what I read this is the correct way on Retina iMacs at least.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I may have slotted it right but that that wasn't going to have been the reason for kernel/restart anyway so I'm going to continue assuming/monitoring my iMac without the extra ram in it for a week or so... :)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
My 2010 Mac pro has been having weird display "hitches" where the screen will freeze for a few seconds (or sometimes more than a few seconds). Sometimes this message pops up:

It's been getting more and more frequent, and I fear my GPU is not long for this world. I do have the fear that it's actually something else, though.

If I do replace my GPU, what's the current best price/performance option?

EDIT: For some reason, like 99% of these involve Safari.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 26, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Peacebone posted:

Did you tell them you had 3rd-party ram in it? I'd be surprised if they tried to diagnose it and even swap it out knowing you hadn't tested it with the stock hardware.

I assume you haven't done an OS wipe/reinstall since you removed the ram. You should. hosed-up ram can cause all sorts of silent file corruption.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wdarkk posted:

My 2010 Mac pro has been having weird display "hitches" where the screen will freeze for a few seconds (or sometimes more than a few seconds). Sometimes this message pops up:

It's been getting more and more frequent, and I fear my GPU is not long for this world. I do have the fear that it's actually something else, though.

What do you have, the ATI 5770 or the ATI 5870?

If it were me, I'd get this Radeon 7950 Mac Edition for $300 as it's faster than the used 5870 Macsales is selling for $350. It also actually uses less power than the 5870 to boot.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 26, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

What do you have, the ATI 5770 or the ATI 5870?

If it were me, I'd get this Radeon 7950 Mac Edition for $300 as it's faster than the used 5870 Macsales is selling for $350. It also actually uses less power than the 5870 to boot.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same 7950 Mac Edition I have now (although it doesn't say if it's made by Sapphire or not on that page). I already had to RMA it once, no way I spend my own money for a third one.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

wdarkk posted:

I've been getting this on my 2012 rMBP. It's also been hard-crashing a lot lately when switching between integrated and discrete cards too, plus bizarre static patterns every time it wakes from sleep and occasionally across the screen during anything remotely graphically intensive (again whether using discrete or IGP). It's getting kind of ridiculous at this point when I can count on it to crash at least once a day. Not just one, but two genius bars told me to deal with it when I replicated the issues in front of them. v:shobon:v Safari has been the culprit in the majority of cases, but Adobe CC has done it quite often too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wdarkk posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same 7950 Mac Edition I have now (although it doesn't say if it's made by Sapphire or not on that page). I already had to RMA it once, no way I spend my own money for a third one.

Welp, then your only other choices are:

Buy a used Apple OEM Radeon HD 5870 for about $350

Buy the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition (comes in a white case not black) for about $480-500

Buy an EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition for $650 or so..

Buy an AMD R9 280X 3 GB used/refurbed for around $200-250. Card runs faster than a stock 7950, speeds up OpenCL tremendously, and is essentially the same as the AMD FirePro D500 being used in the trashcan Pro (which is why it works OOTB with 10.9.2 and up.) I'm running one as we speak.

Only caveat is that only certain vendors (MSI / Gigabyte / Sapphire) have been successfully flashed for EFI boot compatibility, see MacRumors forums for details. If you can live with seeing a black screen up until the login prompt, almost any R9 280X should work.

FWIW, I haven't seen that particular error either on my mid 2012 MacPro and the flashed R9 280X or on a 13-inch late 2013 rMBP with the stock Intel Iris 5100.. running 10.10.1 (cmon Apple we need 10.10.6 before we can call it stable, right?)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 26, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wheez the roux posted:

I've been getting this on my 2012 rMBP. It's also been hard-crashing a lot lately when switching between integrated and discrete cards too, plus bizarre static patterns every time it wakes from sleep and occasionally across the screen during anything remotely graphically intensive (again whether using discrete or IGP). It's getting kind of ridiculous at this point when I can count on it to crash at least once a day. Not just one, but two genius bars told me to deal with it when I replicated the issues in front of them. v:shobon:v Safari has been the culprit in the majority of cases, but Adobe CC has done it quite often too.

Yosemite I'm assuming? My wife's late 2013 rMBP has been doing the same, although not as bad. Disabling/controlling gpu switching seems to be the magic fix until Apple gets around to fixing it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6602046

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 26, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

Most of mine involve Safari, but I've seen other apps have issues as well.

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, then your only other choices are:

Buy a used Apple OEM Radeon HD 5870 for about $350

Buy the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition (comes in a white case not black) for about $480-500

Buy an EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition for $650 or so..

Buy an AMD R9 280X 3 GB used/refurbed for around $200-250. Card runs faster than a stock 7950, speeds up OpenCL tremendously, and is essentially the same as the AMD FirePro D500 being used in the trashcan Pro (which is why it works OOTB with 10.9.2 and up.) I'm running one as we speak.

Only caveat is that only certain vendors (MSI / Gigabyte / Sapphire) have been successfully flashed for EFI boot compatibility, see MacRumors forums for details. If you can live with seeing a black screen up until the login prompt, almost any R9 280X should work.

FWIW, I haven't seen that particular error either on my mid 2012 MacPro and the flashed R9 280X or on a 13-inch late 2013 rMBP with the stock Intel Iris 5100.. running 10.10.1 (cmon Apple we need 10.10.6 before we can call it stable, right?)

Actually I think that's a different one, since mine is a Sapphire. AMD R9 280X 3 GB certainly seems like an option. I'm going to avoid buying anything until 10.10.2 comes out though.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm a dummy and I have a dumb question. Why do macbooks use dual core processors? Why isn't everything using i5 or i7 quadcores?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ramadu posted:

I'm a dummy and I have a dumb question. Why do macbooks use dual core processors? Why isn't everything using i5 or i7 quadcores?

Price and heat, I imagine.

I just googled a bunch of Wintel i5 laptops and looked up the specs for their processors and they're all dual core as well. So it's not like the MacBooks are bucking the trend.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 26, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ramadu posted:

Mobile i5s are dual core. The higher end mobile i7s are quad core.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ramadu posted:

The 15" Pro does use a quad-i7. The 13" Pro and the airs use dual-core chips

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Probably a dumb question, but can the MacBook Retina 13's power two of these monitors?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JB6HCIC/

I know it has DisplayPort and the MBPr essentially has two DisplayPorts, but I don't know if there are any quirks or anything involved.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

space marine todd posted:

Probably a dumb question, but can the MacBook Retina 13's power two of these monitors?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JB6HCIC/

I know it has DisplayPort and the MBPr essentially has two DisplayPorts, but I don't know if there are any quirks or anything involved.

Yes, it can. Since the monitor also supports daisy chaining through DisplayPort 1.2, you could also have potentially gone that route also. But as it is, you can use each of your TB2 ports to output to each monitor.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Maneki Neko posted:

Mobile i5s are dual core. The higher end mobile i7s are quad core.

YEah I saw that I guess I was just wondering why? Isn't dual core stuff like 10 years old at this point? It just seems weird to me that they are using it and cost so much, even excluding the apple tax.

Look, I just want a a super good air with retina and a cool processor and all the ram for 900-1k ok?

And a pony.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Name other 13" laptops that have i7 quad core processors. It's too much heat.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ramadu posted:

YEah I saw that I guess I was just wondering why? Isn't dual core stuff like 10 years old at this point? It just seems weird to me that they are using it and cost so much, even excluding the apple tax.

Look, I just want a a super good air with retina and a cool processor and all the ram for 900-1k ok?

And a pony.
Cause mobile chips have power consumption and heat output limits. Intel has been focusing on getting those down, and leaving two extra cores out helps, particularly since they're not really needed for most people. They've also been improving their GPU to compensate a bit. It's a tradeoff that makes the form factor and battery life possible.

The pony would be to get all the power without actually increasing the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ramadu posted:

And a pony.

Er, adding more cores just doesn't make things faster. The dual core CPUs of today are not the same of 10 years ago.