Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Or it simultaneously rolling out to the entire city limits. Nimbys didn't kill the rail initiative as much as the inner ring suburbs did. Central voted for it.

Lone star rail is looking promising though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

How would they get the money for the freight realignment?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's beginning...

quote:

Oil services company Baker Hughes Inc. says it will lay off about 7,000 workers as it prepares for a downturn in orders.

Baker Hughes previously reported a record $663 million in net income in the fourth quarter of 2014, more than double its earnings during the same period of the prior year.

Leading the growth was the company’s North American division, which posted revenue of $3.3 billion.

But the Houston-based company said in an earnings call Tuesday that it expects a “sharp drop in product sales” because of the plummeting price of crude.

The layoffs represent about an 11 percent cut to the 62,000-plus employees Baker Hughes says it employs worldwide.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

This is so weird to me. I grew up in Dallas, and Austin. I went to public schools both places. I went to college is Dallas. I was never forced to do a Texas Pledge, and until this discussion, I literally did not know that such a pledge existed.

The real question might be: when did you attend school? I never saw that garbage in college either, but it definitely existed in high school. However, there was a significant difference in frequency pre- and post-9/11. Before 9/11, they might do pledges 2-3 times a year. After 9/11, it became more like 2-3 times a week.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Or it simultaneously rolling out to the entire city limits. Nimbys didn't kill the rail initiative as much as the inner ring suburbs did. Central voted for it.

Honestly I kind of doubt the suburbs would vote for it even if it went out there. They might be afraid of it bringing the "criminal element" like in Atlanta.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

thefncrow posted:

The real question might be: when did you attend school? I never saw that garbage in college either, but it definitely existed in high school. However, there was a significant difference in frequency pre- and post-9/11. Before 9/11, they might do pledges 2-3 times a year. After 9/11, it became more like 2-3 times a week.

In Georgetown we did the pledges every single day. That's 5 times a week. When I lived in California we did the pledge on Monday only.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

thefncrow posted:

It became mandatory* under state law in I think 2003.

*For the school, students could get waivers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I didn't realize there was so much variation. In NEISD in San Antonio we had to do both pledges every morning since at least 1999.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

computer parts posted:

Michigan does and it's worse.

I pledge allegiance, your move creep.

Much better.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A group of conservatives is suing Dallas County under the Voting Rights Act claiming that not enough white people, I mean Republicans, are elected to the Commissioners Court.

quote:

"Like something out of the bad old days, a southern electoral body plays naked racial politics, intentionally using its power to minimize a dissenting race’s political sway," according to the lawsuit, filed last week in federal court by the Equal Voting Rights Institute on behalf of individual white plaintiffs.

The lawsuit asserts that the five-member Dallas Commissioner Court used its 2010 drawing of the county's districting map to "violate the rights of Dallas’s Anglo minority, denying it rights protected by the United States Constitution and the Voting Rights Act."

The suit notes that whites lost their majority status in 2006. According to the Census Bureau, Dallas County is now 32 percent white, 39 percent Hispanic and 23 percent black.

The suit argues that Hispanics and African-American voters tend to prefer Democratic candidates, while whites favor Republicans. For the moment, the board has three white members and one black and one Hispanic member.

That's the twist, as the Dallas Morning News reported last week: the Dallas County commissioners are mostly white, albeit Democratic. Four of the board's five members are Democrats. The suit alleges that the county board's current districting map is "designed to punish its racial enemies, while patting itself on the back for its adherence to the Voting Rights Act."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Two thirds rule in the Senate is gone, it's now 3/5s, or 19 members (there are 20 R's) I think it's more of a symbolic change rather than a practical one because basically the GOP has gotten everything they wanted in specials where there is no 2/3s rule. Basically it's saying, oh we are going to pass this poo poo during regular y'all, but in terms of what actually becomes law, I think it will be more or less the same.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Texas Observer did an amazing article about how companies are using property tax appraisal appeals systematically to drop their tax burdens and as a side effect gently caress over school districts:

quote:

There are basically two ways to challenge a tax appraisal—on value and on unequal appraisal. The first claims that a property has been appraised above market value. The second claims that while a property may be appraised at market value, others like it are appraised for much less. Before 1997, an unequal appraisal claim required an expensive property analysis called a ratio study, and it was seldom used.

Popp’s amendment created an easier, cheaper way to claim unequal appraisal and gain an automatic reduction in value—so easy that it is now routinely used in tax protests and dominates big-ticket litigation. You simply select a “reasonable” number of “comparable” properties (available on the appraisal district’s website), adjust their values up or down (your house has a swimming pool, mine doesn’t) and find the median—the middle number on the list. What’s reasonable or comparable isn’t spelled out. Market value is beside the point. If your valuation is higher than the median, it gets lowered to that number. The amendment is now called the equity statute, or simply “equal and uniform,” echoing the Texas Constitution’s dictum that taxation be “equal and uniform.”

The market value of non-residential property is already difficult to get a handle on in Texas, one of only five states that does not require real estate sales prices to be disclosed. Companies jealously guard their financial information. Arguments over comparables are a blur of capitalization rates and intangibles and margins and triple net leases, comprehensible only to the attorneys and experts. But no matter how complex or inscrutable the business, the law now allows value to be determined with a sixth-grade math exercise: Find the median.

The 1997 equity statute and subsequent legislation that broadened its reach have effectively redefined what unequal appraisal means. No longer is it about relationships between property and market value, but between one property and another. It’s a radical departure from standard appraisal methodology, one that no other state has taken. “What this has morphed into is, just let me find examples of a few of my competitors and make my numbers look like theirs,” said Sands Stiefer, chief appraiser in Harris County.

It is fairly obvious that this is a recipe for tax appraisals that ratchet downward. The highest appraised company appeals, wins a reduction, the others appeal because the average appraisal has dropped (as described in the article the juries and companies are effectively using the mean, not the median), win, repeat. That's if they even wait for long enough: it seems now that everyone appeals because you can have your experts come up with myriad reasons to adjust the value of your property downward with regard to comparable properties.

We really need sales price disclosure. There is no logical reason why the appraisal shouldn't reset to the sales price when a sale happens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oooh fun stuff.

quote:

HB 138 by Rep. Dan Flynn, R-Canton, would prevent school districts from prohibiting posting a copy of the Ten Commandments in a classroom. With the same flavor, House Concur­rent Resolution 30 by state Rep. Phil Steph­en­son, R-Wharton, supports prayers, including the use of the word "God," at public gatherings, and displays of the Ten Command­ments in public educational institutions and other government buildings.
Flynn and Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, have offered up legislation barring the application of foreign laws (i.e. Sharia Law) to either state courts or marriage cases, despite the fact that the First Amend­ment and the Texas Constitution already ban imposing religious law as civil law. Lacking evidence to show Sharia is an actual creeping threat, previous attempts to pass the law have failed to materialize.
And then there's not one but two proposed constitutional amendments attempting to grant the state a "license to discriminate" – on religious grounds – against individuals, including members of the LGBT community. SJR 10 by Sen. Donna Campbell, R-New Braunfels, and HJR 55 by Rep. Jason Villal­ba, R-Dallas, seek to protect the "free exercise of religion" by allowing Texas businesses to turn away LGBT customers and fire gay employees if their act is "motivated by a sincerely held religious belief" – the bill could effectively undermine local non-discrimination ordinances. (Once again, a redundancy, as freedom of religion is protected by both the U.S. and Texas constitutions.) A similar bill authored by Campbell last session died in committee after unlikely opposition from an anti-choice group that worried abortion could be construed as a "religious right" under the bill language.

Reminder that these are all filed bills and not laws yet, and may not even get a hearing so keep some perspective.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The SCOTX extended the filing deadline for briefs in the school finance suit to August 11, meaning the earliest they could hear arguments is September with a possible decision in March '16. The take away from this that the Legislature will not be taking up school finance this session and depending on the ruling might not even look at it until '17.

Here's an interesting graphic on how many times the state has had to change policy because of court order.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lt. Gov. Patrick made the Senate committee appointments, cutting down the Democratic leaders from 6 of 18 to 2 of 14.

Notably, Patrick paid back some political poo poo by cutting the one Republican who didn't vote for the 3/5ths rule from his leadership post and adding the one Democrat who did vote for it to a leadership post.

Also, the Senate Natural Resources Committee is now the Senate Natural Resources and Economic Development Committee, so let that just tell you where this session is going.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

thefncrow posted:

I watched the second tower get hit live on the TV in my 10th grade geometry class. So graduating class of '03 in Farmers Branch, the suburb of Dallas. I guess if it became mandatory for the fall semester of '03, that would explain it.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I moved to Frisco from New Jersey in summer of 2002 and my 9th grade class did the Texas Pledge every morning along with the US Pledge though I never stood up for it and nobody cared. Kids who didn't give a poo poo about the Texas Pledge didn't have to stand and recite it. I made a point of doing the US Pledge and then sitting for Texas... by sitting down we stood out like sore thumbs yeah, but it was an easy way for me as a new kid in school to find like-minded potential friends. And fall into drugs and eventually drop out but that's a whole other thing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Randandal posted:

I moved to Frisco from New Jersey in summer of 2002 and my 9th grade class did the Texas Pledge every morning along with the US Pledge though I never stood up for it and nobody cared. Kids who didn't give a poo poo about the Texas Pledge didn't have to stand and recite it. I made a point of doing the US Pledge and then sitting for Texas... by sitting down we stood out like sore thumbs yeah, but it was an easy way for me as a new kid in school to find like-minded potential friends. And fall into drugs and eventually drop out but that's a whole other thing.

:colbert: Sounds like proof to me not reciting the Texas pledge has Texas God smitin y'all down. :clint:

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Why blame God when you can blame His government?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

I watched the second tower get hit live on the TV in my 10th grade geometry class. So graduating class of '03 in Farmers Branch, the suburb of Dallas. I guess if it became mandatory for the fall semester of '03, that would explain it.

You're actually slightly behind me then (graduated '02). I didn't even know about the mandatory thing, it was just my high school noticeably changed their attitude afterwards.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

thefncrow posted:

You're actually slightly behind me then (graduated '02). I didn't even know about the mandatory thing, it was just my high school noticeably changed their attitude afterwards.

'04 here. We did both Federal and state every day with the announcements. Nobody stood for either and the teachers seemed more annoyed at the interruption to their class.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So the open-carry activists have a new thing to push. They're rallying tomorrow foropen carrying handguns WITHOUT a license.

Also in that story, something I didn't know before now, the Texas Legislature isn't allowed to pass bills for the first 60 days of session unless the governor tells them there's an urgent budgetary matter. What the gently caress is up with the Texas Constitution? Legislature only meets every other year and then they have to sit on their hands for 60 of their 140 days?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

So the open-carry activists have a new thing to push. They're rallying tomorrow foropen carrying handguns WITHOUT a license.

Also in that story, something I didn't know before now, the Texas Legislature isn't allowed to pass bills for the first 60 days of session unless the governor tells them there's an urgent budgetary matter. What the gently caress is up with the Texas Constitution? Legislature only meets every other year and then they have to sit on their hands for 60 of their 140 days?

A lot of it has to do with Reconstruction era reforms, and some populism.

The legislature is actually expected to have day jobs. Since they only meet up a few weeks every two years, it encourages legislators to actually have their poo poo together when it comes time to getting a bill passed. Instead of just putting out fake bills that have a snowballs chance in hell.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PostNouveau posted:

I think a majority of state legislatures aren't actually full time.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

I think a majority of state legislatures aren't actually full time.

Ours is notoriously part-time, though. That said, it leaves a lot of the actual governing in the hands of agency bureaucrats from Austin, and that has probably saved the state from our own dumb election choices. Also, for capital staffers it's a nice situation, because they work so much while the lege is in session (12+ hour days basically every day of the week) that they end up with lots of comp time they get to use on nice vacations during the years the lege isn't in session.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do y'all really want the Legislature to pass more laws?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes! I've got a whole book of laws I'd love to see the legislature pass!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok do you want to see this Legislature pass more laws?

I get most of my news from following #txlege and the number of people going "UH WE PAY YOUR SALARIES SO" and not realizing that legislators make $600 annually for their duties is hilarious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drat it.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

Ok do you want to see this Legislature pass more laws?

I get most of my news from following #txlege and the number of people going "UH WE PAY YOUR SALARIES SO" and not realizing that legislators make $600 annually for their duties is hilarious.

Uh what? I mean it's poo poo pay at around 25,000 per year but you are way off with 600. Plus don't forget those bennies, when Tom Craddick retires he will be pulling a pension of over a 100,000 per year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh sorry it's $600 a month also if you include the per diem.

I doubt many of them rely on it as a source of income. It's also not like the US Congress where they make almost $200k a year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nearly everyone in the capital is well off through outside means, state government pay is poo poo because it's assumed you're coming in with other sources.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nearly everyone in the capital is well off through outside means, state government pay is poo poo because it's assumed you're coming in with other sources.

That's the problem. Nearly everyone in the legislature is there on behalf of their real employers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea absolutely. Low pay for politics serves only to either get the rich in power who can afford the salary drop or serves to make lobbyist 'contributions' all the more powerful. Like, no I don't think politicians should be getting RICH doing their job but the big kabuki "WE PAY OURSELVES LITTLE TO SHOW WE'RE OF THE PEOPLE (while taking in massive profits in other sources)" is absurd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unlike the US Congress where the members only serve the will of the people. Both approaches have their problems, the Texas approach was intended to instill a "citizen legislature" as opposed to one made up of career politicians, but the practical effect was that only the rich can afford to serve. One of the special elections for a Senate seat last year, one of the guys spent a million bucks of his own money in the primary and lost.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think Texas is better off because the businesses are more powerful than the politicians.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I think Texas is better off because the businesses are more powerful than the politicians.

I was listening to TribCast the other day and they were shocked (shocked!) that Dan Patrick's business advisory group or whatever was made up of traditional big businesses with issues before the state. The Tea Party was supposed to be opposed to crony capitalism!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I was listening to TribCast the other day and they were shocked (shocked!) that Dan Patrick's business advisory group or whatever was made up of traditional big businesses with issues before the state. The Tea Party was supposed to be opposed to crony capitalism!

What's funny is all it's doing is making the relationship between industry and government more transparent. It's just what's been happening, it's just now it's out in the open!

Also related to lege pay and corruption.

Oh and look who's back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Those people realize that they did indeed come and take it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm more disturbed by the fact that the guy on the left is wearing some sort of cargo jeans.