Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I've got a box of Thunderwolf Cav and have no idea on how I should be kitting out the riders. I was thinking of storm shields and power fists for everyone, but that makes em very pricy.

The rest of the army is basically gonna be dudes in drop pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Asides from taking Grey Knights, what is the a good counter too daemons ?

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 26, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ What?

BeigeJacket posted:

I've got a box of Thunderwolf Cav and have no idea on how I should be kitting out the riders. I was thinking of storm shields and power fists for everyone, but that makes em very pricy.

The rest of the army is basically gonna be dudes in drop pods.

I tend to make them cheap and take more of them. Usually one guy with a fist/hammer and maybe one or two shields up front to take some hits, and I used to take units of 5. As you said, they get expensive fast

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Foul Ole Ron posted:

In general or with a specific army? Against any particular Chaos Daemon army build?

Aside from Grey Knights, Tyranid are second-best against a Psyker heavy army. They have enough ML dice to have a decent chance to counter manifest rolls and their -3 Ld. score against Psykers makes clearing units of Daemons in close combat much more effective (provided the Tyranid win close combat). Keep in mind that Chaos Daemons are essentially Fearless in Shooting but in Assault they must make a Leadership check if they lose close combat and suffer losses equal to the result minus their Ld. score (unless they roll a 2, in which case you're just boned).

In general Chaos Daemons aren't particularly powerful unless they get Invisibility off or something, it's mostly playing keep-away as the majority of their army is close combat oriented and has middling shooting aside from a couple stand-out units. Keep focus-firing units out, stay in terrain and the majority of the army has no way to assault at Initiative into terrain, and clear out any Psykers that are summoning (if any). There's really not all that much to it--a lot of the strength and weakness of Chaos Daemons is literally random and there's no defense against it, but that's the idea.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

BeigeJacket posted:

1-2 Fists or Hammers, depending on squads size, is usually sufficient; more than that is overkill. Storm Shields I would give to roughly half the dudes, although you could go up or down on that depending on what guns you expect to face. I find a lot of the time you're just rolling armor saves, though, which the Shield doesn't help at all with.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Any army that puts out large numbers of shots, especially high-strength ones, will be problematic for Daemons, since they are typically relying on invulnerable saves to protect themselves. FMC-based lists obviously have problems with anything that can bring much Skyfire (or that gets the first turn and can hit them before they're in the air.) Khorn Dogs and other aggressive ground lists usually struggle with strong counter-assault troops and blocking tactics (such as with cheap Rhinos/Drop Pods, etc.) Summoning armies tend to not have a lot of active ways to go after the enemy early and thus can't deal well with aggressive foes or ones that can sit back at long range with lots of shooting (especially lots of barrage weapons to snipe out the spellcasters.)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Jesus Christ, Hollismason. Who'd you piss off this time?

Master Twig posted:

It was against the old orks, but I once had an opponent have a shokk attack gun scatter just right so it hit a Trygon Prime, a Tervigon, the Swarmlord and a tyrant guard. Rolled double six and on one turn I saw almost half my points disappear. I was too amazed to be upset about it.
SAGs are great, especially when the Big Mek screws the Lootaz he's attached to out of a legal target by firing first and teleporting himself into melee with a pair of Carnifexen :getin:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the replies guys about countering daemons. I recently watched daemons curb stomping a decent Necron list and was just curious on how to avoid a similar fate.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Carnifices

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

Carnifices

Maybe they're were-Carnifices cursed by some Chaos witch? Ever think of that, smart guy? :colbert:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Carnipodes

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

SAGs are great, especially when the Big Mek screws the Lootaz he's attached to out of a legal target by firing first and teleporting himself into melee with a pair of Carnifexen :getin:

I use a squad of 10 grots for my mek's retinue. It helps keep him out of trouble for cheap, and doesn't tie up my lootas.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

HiveCommander posted:

The entire death thread pretty much

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Say I wanted to magnetize a resin mini. What precautions would I need to take when drilling to place the magnets? Would a simple paper mask work, or would I want a more complex filtration system? Thinking of setting up my Contemptor to be able to swap arms in case I do want to field Marines some day.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

NTRabbit posted:

The entire death thread pretty much

Taking how poo poo I imagine that thread to be, then how poo poo you'd have to be to get an avatar like that out of it, and I'm coming up with Hollismason. The science fits!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
It's Carnifeces.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Are you using a drill, or a vise? A paper mask is likely fine because regardless.

Honestly, I wouldn't wear anything at all. You're drilling for a second. I'm sure if you had a career where you were surrounded by resin dust you'd want some protection, but 'drilling two contemptor arms' will probably not create enough dust to be harmful even if you snorted it. Also, resin dust seems to be pretty heavy, so I don't think it'll really be aggressively entering your airways.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

It's Carnifeces.
Nah, that was back in 5th

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Are you using a drill, or a vise? A paper mask is likely fine because regardless.

Honestly, I wouldn't wear anything at all. You're drilling for a second. I'm sure if you had a career where you were surrounded by resin dust you'd want some protection, but 'drilling two contemptor arms' will probably not create enough dust to be harmful even if you snorted it. Also, resin dust seems to be pretty heavy, so I don't think it'll really be aggressively entering your airways.

Pin vise, yeah. Drill would be way to easy to wreck the mini with.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Holy hell those kick rear end.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Esser-Z posted:

Say I wanted to magnetize a resin mini. What precautions would I need to take when drilling to place the magnets? Would a simple paper mask work, or would I want a more complex filtration system? Thinking of setting up my Contemptor to be able to swap arms in case I do want to field Marines some day.

In order to get any sort of health problems, you'd basically have to be surrounded by piles of resin dust every day for hours on end and/or snorting it through a straw like it's cocaine.

Don't worry about it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Boon posted:

Just wait until someone uses the Scatter Laser to TL that Pulsar which they then fire at a seperate target because it's a Super Heavy and can technically do that. That'll make you want to punch someone in the face (I don't do this because I think it's bullshit).

If it helps any, keep in mind that both of it's weapons are hull-mounted and so only have a 45 degree field of fire (22.5 off the bow).

The pulsar can't split fire. Yes super heavies can shoot at separate targets with separate guns but all of the shots from one gun must resolve into the same target.

I traveled to our sister store in Minot this weekend and played in a little RTT. Tabled my first two opponents then lost to one of my teammates playing for top table. Because of battle point scoring that pushed me to 4th (out of 20) while my teammates picked up 1, 2, and 6th(ish).

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

HiveCommander posted:

Nah, that was back in 5th

I've actually been running them at my FLGS lately. They're decent and a fun to play with, but I wouldn't bring them to a tournament. Kind of on the same level as Trygons right now. Tyrannocites really opened up the game for them.

We're starting a campaign soon that will only go a few weeks and the organizer is making it so there's no allies, no formations and no forgeworld. It's strict, but those kind of restrictions I think are a huge boost for Tyranids since they don't really need to rely on those to make a good list. My poor Malanthrope will sit on the sidelines, but it's looking to be a lot of fun. Problem is I'm the only Tyranid player in the campaign, so they're having trouble putting me on a team (they're trying to make teams fluffy).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

I can't even really parse what the helmet is supposed to be.

Esser-Z posted:

Pin vise, yeah. Drill would be way to easy to wreck the mini with.

You probably don't need to wear anything, but a paper mask would be fine.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Naramyth posted:

The pulsar can't split fire. Yes super heavies can shoot at separate targets with separate guns but all of the shots from one gun must resolve into the same target.

I traveled to our sister store in Minot this weekend and played in a little RTT. Tabled my first two opponents then lost to one of my teammates playing for top table. Because of battle point scoring that pushed me to 4th (out of 20) while my teammates picked up 1, 2, and 6th(ish).

I think hes saying that you use the scatter laser to hit, which gives the other weapon twin linked, but you can then fire that at another target because super heavies can split fire between weapon systems.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

What kits are these?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

I think hes saying that you use the scatter laser to hit, which gives the other weapon twin linked, but you can then fire that at another target because super heavies can split fire between weapon systems.

Tangentially, it's always weirded me out that normal tanks CAN'T split fire. So many of them have sponsons. The entire point of sponsons is to be able to engage additional targets!

Oh, and thanks for the info on the resin dust, guys!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 26, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JerryLee posted:

What kits are these?

Event exclusive Iron Warrior and Alpha Legion models.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
And here we go!

quote:

Necron Special Rules:

Renanimation Protocols - When a model with this rule suffers an unsaved wound, it can make a special reanimation roll to avoid being wounded. This is not a saving throw and can be used against attacks that state "no saves of any kind are allowed". Reanimation protocols rolls may even be made against hits that cause Instant Death, but cannot be used against hits from Destroyer weapons, or an attack that states the model is removed from play.

Roll a D6 each time the model suffers an unsaved wound, subtracting 1 if the wound caused Instant Death. On a 5+, discount the unsaved wound. Modifiers to this dice roll can never be improved to better than 4+.

If a model has both reanimation and FNP, you can choose to use one or the other but not both.

quote:

Canoptek Scarabs are Fast Attack, 60 points.

WS2 BS2 S3 T3 W3 I2 A4 Ld10 Sv6+

May include up to six bases at 20 pts per base

Entropic Strike: To wound rolls of 6 wound automatically and cause glancing hits if they wouldn't penetrate

Fearless, Swarm

Lychguard are 125 points for a squad of 5.

WS 4 BS 4 S 5 T 5 W 1 I 2 A 2 Ld 10 Sv 3+

Warscythe, Reanimation protocols. May select a night scythe as a dedicated trasnport.

The entire unit may exchange their warscythes for hyperphase swords and dispersion shields.

quote:

Dispersion Shield

A mdel equipped with a diispersion shield has a 3+ invulnerable save, but can never claim the two weapons bonus in the fight sub phase.

Mindshackle Scarabs

When fighting in a challenge, a model with the scarabs has the Fear rule. Fear tests taken as a result of the scarabs are taken on a 3D6

Mind Shackle Scarabs now cause fear. Hahaha.

And Reanimation now works on every wound, but is weaker against Instant Death.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Rest in peace cool robots getting knocked down and standing back up. Now it's just a new way to not get knocked down. MY NARRATIVE.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Esser-Z posted:

As a guy super sensitive to dust who can't even use glue without some precautions, I wear either a scarf or a paper mask whenever I model for longer than an hour.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

So no new units for the Necrons then? No Newcrons.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Lol mindshackle scarabs didn't just get nerfed, they basically got removed from the Codex. Fear is so situational, though I guess on 3d6 its OK. Needs to be appropriately costed to even be considered.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Flayed Ones, Elites, 65 Points for 5 guys

WS4 BS4 S4 T4 Wi I2 A3 Ld10 Sv4+

May include up to 15 other Fllayed nes at 13 pts per model

Deep Strike, Fear, Infiltrate, Reanimation Protocols

Two Flayer Claws: AP 5, Shred

quote:

Whipcoils can be purcahsed for 3 pts per model. S = user, gains swiftstrike (+3 init)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That's a weird as hell Alpha Legion dude. I like the mask, but the topknot.. not so much

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
If you don't like topknots, find another game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Esser-Z posted:

Rest in peace cool robots getting knocked down and standing back up. Now it's just a new way to not get knocked down. MY NARRATIVE.

Games Workshop, more out of touch than Tony Abbott

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So Entropic Strike is just gauss in close combat? Good to see there's no shortage of imagination in the design team these days.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The collective rage about mindshackle scarabs has caused them to now be pointless haha.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Eh, the Reanimation Protocols are a good and a bad thing making it just another save makes it a bit faster gameplay wise, but helps in areas like assault and people not surrounding the Bargelord to make him not be able to get back up. It doesn't help in areas with the shooting phase etc..

It'll help units like Lychguard, who are 25 points a model, and actually worth it now. Praetorians apparently are the same cost as Lychguard.

Entropic Strike is a bit weird now, 6s autoglance is actually pretty interesting.

Not remotely surprised about Mind Shackle Scarabs, all the butthurt that item caused. It getting moved to cause fear and fail a fear check on 3D6 is all but useless pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Getting back up after dying was THE iconic Necron mechanic. "I'll Be Back" and the Terminator-reference, becoming the robot-zombies thing. When I think of Necrons, I think of that mechanic.

They no longer have it.

• Locked thread