Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Aaronicon posted:

the Big Bang Theory Trivial Pursuit nonsense my 'friends' want to play most of the time.

:staredog: im so so sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Find new friends.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I don't know what's sadder - that I've played it, or that I've won it every time I've played it without knowing anything about the show.

Iceclaw posted:

Find new friends.

I would but it's a 40k town. I'm not sure if I have the disposable income to make other friends willing to take a half-look at X-Wing. At least if I only ever play a single game I'm not out the hundreds in paints and models.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Aaronicon posted:

I don't know what's sadder - that I've played it, or that I've won it every time I've played it without knowing anything about the show.

I would but it's a 40k town. I'm not sure if I have the disposable income to make other friends willing to take a half-look at X-Wing. At least if I only ever play a single game I'm not out the hundreds in paints and models.

The best thing about x-wing is that it's really drat affordable compared to 40K, with the price of a single 40K army you can get pretty much one of everything and two of your favorites for x-wing ^^ And yes, it's very fast - the average 100-point match - which is kind of the equivalent for, say, 1500 points of 40K - will take you about twenty minutes to half an hour, with the minimum of poo poo-talking and rules arguments. That's about as long as it takes to set up the goddamned field and deployments for 40K.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Drake_263 posted:

The best thing about x-wing is that it's really drat affordable compared to 40K, with the price of a single 40K army you can get pretty much one of everything and two of your favorites for x-wing ^^ And yes, it's very fast - the average 100-point match - which is kind of the equivalent for, say, 1500 points of 40K - will take you about twenty minutes to half an hour, with the minimum of poo poo-talking and rules arguments. That's about as long as it takes to set up the goddamned field and deployments for 40K.

In all the games I've played their have been exactly zero rule arguments. The games rules are watertight compared to 40K's.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
It's kind of nice that when a card from X-Wing gets spoiled I know exactly what it does. That's more than I can say for certain other Fantasy Flight games.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

taishi28012 posted:

My roommate got me into this game a few weeks ago & I've been having fun in general, but I'm having trouble figuring out a counter for two big ships. Going up against a YT-2400 & a YT-1300 is a real pain in the rear end. What is a good counter for two big rear end tanks with turrets?

You can white-knuckle it until autothrusters come out.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So what's everyone's opinion on the TIE Phantom? I just got a chance to try it out in a kind of silly list on Saturday and, despite being really expensive, it felt kind of ridiculous with a gunner, fire control system, and advanced cloaking device. Between the decloak movement and the ability to do barrel rolls it was like my position at the beginning of a turn barely even mattered.

That said, I basically just play this game with a few friends and we treat it like a board game (splitting costs for a huge collection that everyone uses), so I'm pretty far removed from the actual meta. Especially since we mostly just toss together whatever looks fun rather than trying to make competitive lists.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Currently Phantoms ARE the meta for Imperials at the moment. It's either that or swarms (although Decimators that aren't too tooled out do pretty well as well).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
If you fly a Phantom without making any mistakes, you will win. Not making any mistakes with a Phantom is really hard.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

Tekopo posted:

Currently Phantoms ARE the meta for Imperials at the moment. It's either that or swarms (although Decimators that aren't too tooled out do pretty well as well).

Anecdotal Evidence--At a casual store tournament I played in last weekend, 2 out of 3 of my opponents were running a Decimator/Phantom combo, and I've seen them around many times before. It's probably the one Imperial build I would most expect to see at store tourneys this month.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just love that the goofy 90's FMV game TIE is top-tier in this game. :allears:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I have my store tourney this weekend and I think it is going to be awful. 5 rounds no elimination and from watching what other people have been playing the last few weeks I think I am going to be one of the only people:

Not playing Rebels.

Not playing large ships.

I really hope it isn't five rounds of losses in a row. Everyone was really chill when I started playing but now it is all laserpen arc checking and custom made movement templates, 3D asteroids and hand painted z-95's. :smith:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

To be fair I have found that the laser arc checking actually cut down on the arc arguments. I have custom movement templates cause they look awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Phrosphor posted:

3D asteroids and hand painted z-95's. :smith:

These sound awesome if done right.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Phrosphor posted:

I have my store tourney this weekend and I think it is going to be awful. 5 rounds no elimination and from watching what other people have been playing the last few weeks I think I am going to be one of the only people:

Not playing Rebels.

Not playing large ships.

I really hope it isn't five rounds of losses in a row. Everyone was really chill when I started playing but now it is all laserpen arc checking and custom made movement templates, 3D asteroids and hand painted z-95's. :smith:

Tulsa? I'll see you there. I'll be the guy playing XXE and praying I get good evades all day.

Also five rounds no break I'd infinitely better than the tourney a shop around here ran. Five rounds, break to 8 for 8 rounds during the day and 14 hours of game where two losses all but mathematically eliminates you from breaking. :psyduck:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The SC I went to was 5 rounds of swiss, break to top 8. So 8 rounds of 1:15 games.

That's torture. I'm not a mathematician but there has to be a better way of doing this.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

The SC I went to was 5 rounds of swiss, break to top 8. So 8 rounds of 1:15 games.

That's torture. I'm not a mathematician but there has to be a better way of doing this.

Game Cafe in KCMO, or somewhere different? GC had to be one of the first, since they held it so drat early.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Raleigh, NC.

Another SC was yesterday, started at noon. Can't imagine how long that one went.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Phrosphor posted:

I use a laser line thing because I loving suck at determining if something is within arc unless I'm at range 1, doesn't matter if it's me or my opponent who needs to measure. I'm chill as gently caress, too :smug:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

Tulsa? I'll see you there. I'll be the guy playing XXE and praying I get good evades all day.

Also five rounds no break I'd infinitely better than the tourney a shop around here ran. Five rounds, break to 8 for 8 rounds during the day and 14 hours of game where two losses all but mathematically eliminates you from breaking. :psyduck:

Naw, Aberdeen. Scotland.

Hopefully I can get some more games under my belt this week before it kicks off and I can actually get a list I am comfortable about!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What is the best resource for finding top 8 x-wing lists?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

alg posted:

Raleigh, NC.

Another SC was yesterday, started at noon. Can't imagine how long that one went.

When are they doing these? I'm in Greensboro and I'd like to play some X-Wing w/ folks other than my roommate and AFAIK there isn't a game store around here.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

When are they doing these? I'm in Greensboro and I'd like to play some X-Wing w/ folks other than my roommate and AFAIK there isn't a game store around here.

Monday nights we play at Gamer's Armory, store championships should be on the FFG site. PM me if you want some details

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

What is the best resource for finding top 8 x-wing lists?

http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/tourneys

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Technical question: say Ten Numb gets two crits attacking a target with an evade token and who rolls one evade. Does Numb's ability mean one of those crits gets through, or can the defender assign the evade die to one of the crits, and for the other that can't be blocked by dice assign the evade token?

For that matter, am I correct in thinking that spending an evade token is something different from rolling an evade, or does spending it functionally mean you're adding a dice to the roll with the evade side up?

I'm not 100% sure on how to rule on that, and the FAQ doesn't have anything for Ten Numb specifically.

Obama 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 26, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The answer is actually in your link:

quote:

When attacking, 1 of your critical hit results cannot be canceled by defense dice. (Note: This ability only applies to dice and added dice results such as from an evade token or C3PO, rules that specifically cancel dice results such as accuracy correctors are not affected)

I think having an evade token is pretty much equivalent nowadays: they even changed the ruling on the Autoblasters so that stuff like C-3PO and evade tokens wouldn't stop autoblasters from functioning as advertised.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Tekopo posted:

The answer is actually in your link:

Heh, true. Is there any 'official' FFG ruling on that I could point to if someone quibbles? Our store tourney is just a few days away, and I'm thinking of taking the following:

Ten Numb (34)
Marksmanship

Etahn A'baht (35)
R7-T1

Airen Cracken (19)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

or something like it. As you might guess, Numb's crits are a big part of what I'm trying to do here.

Also, I've only played this build once, so any suggestions on how it might be improved are welcome. Ten Numb with Autoblaster sounded fun, but it makes him very expensive and I feel like I'd want to bring Ion missiles or something to maximize his range 1 opportunities, which started to feel like too many moving parts.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Give Numb a Merc Copilot with the E2 mod, and then proxy a Mangler Cannon. Have fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd drop marksmanship and add sensor boosters: marksmanship feels kind of redundant with Etahn aboard as well. Otherwise that list is almost a copy of the tourney list one of my friends flies (I don't remember the exact list though).

I wouldn't suggest Autoblasters to be honest.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you have both Marksmanship and Etahn and a TL, you're almost guaranteed to get three crits. With a Merc Copilot and a Mangler, you can drop the Marksmanship and get 3 crits literally every time you get three hits.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Seems to be a lot of points on just getting crits, especially since only one of them is cannot be cancelled with Ten's special.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Proxying anything at a Store Championship isn't legal, AFAIK.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Tekopo posted:

I'd drop marksmanship and add sensor boosters: marksmanship feels kind of redundant with Etahn aboard as well. Otherwise that list is almost a copy of the tourney list one of my friends flies (I don't remember the exact list though).

I wouldn't suggest Autoblasters to be honest.

What do you mean by 'sensor boosters'? System Upgrades?

What would you think of popping an Ion cannon on him instead of an auto blaster? If one crit getting through is all I'm relying on anyway, I would be able to trade that for 1 regular damage and an ion token. For a high evade/shielded target, that may be a good deal...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

errr I meant Advanced Sensors, sorry about that.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Obama 2012 posted:

What do you mean by 'sensor boosters'? System Upgrades?

What would you think of popping an Ion cannon on him instead of an auto blaster? If one crit getting through is all I'm relying on anyway, I would be able to trade that for 1 regular damage and an ion token. For a high evade/shielded target, that may be a good deal...

That's actually pretty interesting! A cit means that Ten can effectively always Ion something. However, the only thing I'd caution against is that large ships (which need two Ion tokens to be Ionized, or whatever it's called,) are pretty popular in the meta.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Feeple posted:

the only thing I'd caution against is that large ships (which need two Ion tokens to be Ionized, or whatever it's called,) are pretty popular in the meta.

That's what all the crits are for!

My biggest fear would be a chubby Chewbacca. Chubacca? Is that a thing? It should be. The only magic trick I have at that point is trying to ionize him off the board.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I'm a fool and decided my first tournament will be the store championship at FFG's Game Center, I want to avoid using big ships if possible and am kicking around a list like this. Any suggestions from the more seasoned players?

Etahn A'baht
-R2 astromech
-PtL
-Adv Sensors

Keyan Farlander
-PtL
-E2 mod
-Kyle Katarn

Tarn Mison
-R7 astromech

In place of Tarn, I was also thinking of having Jake Farrell with Chardaan Refit and PtL.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

You have no way of dealing with Whisper. That's cool if you're cool with it, but you will get tabled by a decent Whisper player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Good point, how about this list instead?

==================
[BAX Squadron]
==================

99 points

Pilots
------

Tycho Celchu (31)
A-Wing (26), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Veteran Instincts (1), Experimental Interface (3), Push the Limit (3)

Keyan Farlander (43)
B-Wing (29), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Push the Limit (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Kyle Katarn (3)

Tarn Mison (25)
X-Wing (23), R7 Astromech (2)

Basically have Tarn be a slippery X-wing who can help put out some damage, have Keyan try and keep at range 3 for whatever he's shooting at and have the action packed Tycho zipping around.

• Locked thread