Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Serious Frolicking posted:

This event is all about groups and physical contact. Mineta has the potential to be the mvp this round, assuming someone with half a brain tells him to do something other than hide and leer at girls. He can glue his horse, freeing up arms and making the rider secure. He can glue clashing groups together, making them vulnerable to a third party. The sky's the limit, really. poo poo, messing with headbands is the absolute least he can do.

I forget, though. Exactly what was the tentacle dude's quirk again?

His quirk is...weird. Sort of a shape shifter. He can grow more mouths, eyes, ears, etc, and more importantly arms, which makes him pretty strong. Also, octopus-like. I'm guessing his power works sort of like if Nico Robin's DF power only worked on herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ToiletDuckie posted:

Couldn't help but notice the rules specified that the headband "Has to be worn above the neck" and not "Has to be worn as a headband".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

His quirk is...weird. Sort of a shape shifter. He can grow more mouths, eyes, ears, etc, and more importantly arms, which makes him pretty strong. Also, octopus-like. I'm guessing his power works sort of like if Nico Robin's DF power only worked on herself.

I guess the question now is what happens to the body parts he grows when he is done with them? If they shrink and then retract that is pointless, but if they completely dematerialize he can grab the balls and precisely stick them to things without getting stuck himself.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Part of me kind of hopes that we go a while without finding out what invisible girl's deal is, and she just inexplicably keeps showing up and proceeding in this event (and succeeding at other stuff where "invisibility" wouldn't be overly useful).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I believe tentacle guy can't grow full arms or other limbs. He can just make the ends of his tentacles into other body parts like ears, mouths, ect from my vague recollection of his power brief box.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Emzedoh posted:

If Grapes can't stick grapes to himself, how did he manage to hitch a ride on class rep girl last chapter? He can switch it on and off.

So yeah, his quirk is absurdly well suited to this challenge.

They were stuck to his clothes.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Peel posted:

They were stuck to his clothes.

But he's wearing gloves in the page RatHat linked! I'm pretty sure he has some discretion over how his grapes work, but let's see how it shakes out.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

They could also be special gloves since it's his costume, but discretion would also make sense. It'll probably be explained at some point.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Liking this trend of revolving door partnerships. Do your best Hawkboy, Gadget Girl.

Also impressed Iida can turn rival without being a dick about it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Todoroki's team is made up of some goddamn hard hitters. You've got the 2 scholarship students with broken rear end powers, a dude who electrifies anyone who touches him, and a guy built for speed. On the other hand, Todoroki's powers open him up to accidental teamkilling, and lightning guy's desperation attack zaps everyone around him and turns him stupid. Wonder how that's gonna work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Todoroki's team is made up of some goddamn hard hitters. You've got the 2 scholarship students with broken rear end powers, a dude who electrifies anyone who touches him, and a guy built for speed. On the other hand, Todoroki's powers open him up to accidental teamkilling, and lightning guy's desperation attack zaps everyone around him and turns him stupid. Wonder how that's gonna work.

Not at all for comedic purposes would be my guess.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I am so excited to see more of Birdboy.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I downloaded the newest english WSJ issue today, there's an announcement at the end saying they'll have the first chapter next week as an intro, then after that they'll publish chapters simultaneously with the Japanese release.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Xoidanor posted:

Not at all for comedic purposes would be my guess.

Yeah, I think what we're going to see emphasized here is that Deku built an extremely synergistic team, and didn't stick just to Class A to do it. Even though he (probably) doesn't show off his actual quirk, he gets to display his tactical aptitude. We're definitely going to see at least one team that clearly didn't think things through enough.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Protodude posted:

I downloaded the newest english WSJ issue today, there's an announcement at the end saying they'll have the first chapter next week as an intro, then after that they'll publish chapters simultaneously with the Japanese release.

That's kinda dumb. They should publish the first three chapters as an intro cause just the first is bleh and doesn't have Deku bulking up which is a cool thing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kinda hoping he gets to show off that he can at least sorta use all for one without powdering his bones at some point during this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Weekly Shonen Jump is basically a simulpublish, right? It's not like a week behind?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Weekly Shonen Jump is basically a simulpublish, right? It's not like a week behind?

Yeah, but scans (for popular series) are earlier because they leak from the printer or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eh, I can live. Now that Weekly Jump has three series I'm reading, guess I better get a sub.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Protodude posted:

That sure is cutting out a lot of quality content for the sake to keeping up. I know VIZ Media takes a more lenient attitude towards unofficial translations than some, but this seems like an oddly open invitation to fill in the blanks on your own so to speak.

Does this mean it's been licensed for print publication?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Most likely.

And really, part of the reason the digital version of WSJ exists the way it does is to directly try to curtail bootleg scans, so they're partially targeting people who have already been reading scans.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I figured as much, I'm just wondering about genuine newcomers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it kinda sucks for them, but I don't think it's the first time a series has been put in the magazine in media res.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it kinda sucks for them, but I don't think it's the first time a series has been put in the magazine in media res.

Nope, both Nisekoi and Food Wars both started with the current chapters. Nisekoi I didn't care about, but I would have liked to read Soma from the beginning so I just skip it each week.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-028--Plans-Upon-Ploys-Upon-Plays?id=219981

EDIT: Invisi-girl's team-mates are surprisingly relaxed about carrying a naked girl around.

EDIT 2:Asui Tsuyu continues to awesome.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And now I'm justified in getting that Jump subscription. It'll be interesting to compare the two translations.

More translated names are neat as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, class B has a monologuer. And he decided to monologue at Bakugou. So much for craftily hanging back so as to be smart and take advantage of the the situation. You don't mock the bear while you poke it, man.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing that Midoriya is going to lose the headband. Otherwise there won't be as much tension for later matches. Either that or he's going to be forced to use All for One.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that Midoriya is going to lose the headband. Otherwise there won't be as much tension for later matches. Either that or he's going to be forced to use All for One.

They're never going to finish the tournament before getting attacked by supervillains.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, in the middle of things, Orochimaru is gonna attack Yuuei and everything's gonna go to poo poo. Then we'll need to find Tsunade to take over as headmaster.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

The optimal solution is that Team Deku loses their headband, grabs someone else's and the Deku headband keeps changing hands before the final attempt before time results in no one being in possession of it. Team Mount Erebus ends up the only team to retain their own headband, Team Deku has the highest single headband, and Team Bakugou has the most headbands.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

EDIT: Invisi-girl's team-mates are surprisingly relaxed about carrying a naked girl around.

They look pretty embarrassed about it in the first panel they're in.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Gyges posted:

The optimal solution is that Team Deku loses their headband, grabs someone else's and the Deku headband keeps changing hands before the final attempt before time results in no one being in possession of it. Team Mount Erebus ends up the only team to retain their own headband, Team Deku has the highest single headband, and Team Bakugou has the most headbands.

Burn the headbands.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Waffleman_ posted:

And now I'm justified in getting that Jump subscription. It'll be interesting to compare the two translations.

More translated names are neat as well.

Are they ever going to bother making a web app for anyone not in the US?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's really more a question for them. I know they distribute in companies outside of America, but I don't know what kinda rights they're getting for these simulpubs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sorry it was more of a general question. Its annoying as gently caress that unless I want to read stuff on my phone I'm out of luck

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eh.
Fits better than Mangastream's One piece.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't posting that to call out the vulgarity as bad translation. I love it. That panel is fantastic and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

kidcoelacanth posted:

They look pretty embarrassed about it in the first panel they're in.

In fact it appears as though they made her put on pants.