Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't know if you guys get to experience this, but down in Dixie it's a big dick-swingin' thing to just ramp your truck forward over the parking spot block instead of backing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it is considerably less impressive when you do that in an 89 sunbird

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm the 2WD crew cab Ford F-250 being driven by an accountant.

same but with a lift kit oversized tires and a you can keep your change bumper sticker that I can read real clearly because he just cut me off on the highway

yeah that exit he takes to his job every fuckin mornin really crept up on him this time I guess

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there is scientific research that the more expensive of a car you drive the less empathy you have towards other drivers

not that driving like a dick is exclusive to people with expensive cars

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

qirex posted:

there is scientific research that the more expensive of a car you drive the less empathy you have towards other drivers

not that driving like a dick is exclusive to people with expensive cars

blew my mind when I found out that the Crew Cab F-250 started at $65k. it truly is the white trash Mercedes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
capping fares at the time that supply will be shortest and demand highest absolutely guarantees shortages during an emergency

dynamic pricing is only efficient when uber wants to make money, the rest of the time, shortages are fine

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

quack quack money quack capitalism quack THE RICH quack quack

now in ubervision

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

does it use the blockchain? this is important

it has blocks of people with chain wallets if that's what you mean

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

capping fares at the time that supply will be shortest and demand highest absolutely guarantees shortages during an emergency

dynamic pricing is only efficient when uber wants to make money, the rest of the time, shortages are fine

actually i think this is because nyc is ready to completely ban them if they exploit the emergency???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

blew my mind when I found out that the Crew Cab F-250 started at $65k. it truly is the white trash Mercedes

this is why all of detroit almost went out of business, they made $10-20k/unit on light trucks so they never figured out how to make a small car that wasn't crap and sold at break-even

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

this is why all of detroit almost went out of business, they made $10-20k/unit on light trucks so they never figured out how to make a small car that wasn't crap and sold at break-even

They never figured out how to make a light truck that wasn't crap that sold without federal tax breaks, either.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
AMURRICA OUR TRUCKS ARE TEH BEST *literally pays its citizens to buy Fords and Chevys while the Hilux quietly continues running the non-American world singlehandedly*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember in 2009 there was a dealership selling h2s buy one get one free

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

aren't toyotas the biggest non-f150 trucks these days

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

must be a regional thing. the biggest assholes here drive luxury suvs

Yeah, when I'm on my motorcycle I make a point of staying far away from any large luxury suvs. Bmw x3/x5 and any Lexus thing especially. They are guaranteed to be the angriest shittiest drivers on the road, every time.

Also zipcars. Might as well put a sign on that says "I SELDOM PRACTICE MY DRIVING SKILLS AND I AM PROBABLY NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS VEHICLE"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

AMURRICA OUR TRUCKS ARE TEH BEST *literally pays its citizens to buy Fords and Chevys while the Hilux quietly continues running the non-American world singlehandedly*

it's this

though i sorta want to see a technical made from a an f-350 dualie (that's shot to pieces after it ran out of gas, lol)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

computer parts posted:

aren't toyotas the biggest non-f150 trucks these days

maybe but the point is that toyota can make money selling camrys and scions all day instead of depending on people buying rx300s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I miss the Ranger

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

it's this

though i sorta want to see a technical made from a an f-350 dualie (that's shot to pieces after it ran out of gas, lol)

There's pictures on the internet of the Iraqi ISIS technicals and half of them are exactly this, because they've started using the trucks the American contractors left behind

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ford and especially GM hosed up bad by being the best in the world at making a car that hasn't had a real market since the seventies.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

actually i think this is because nyc is ready to completely ban them if they exploit the emergency???

uber is legal and regulated in nyc tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

americans do not like or want small cars. they're impossible to sell for a profit.

it's not like toyota and honda are printing money selling the fit/yaris. they're relatively unpopular vehicles compared to the bigger japanese cars.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
americans don't want small cars because small cars have historically been crap.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
what kind of transmission did the hilux have

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the only thing that's going to protect my family from a bad driver in a big car is a good driver in a big car

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

There's pictures on the internet of the Iraqi ISIS technicals and half of them are exactly this, because they've started using the trucks the American contractors left behind

you're confused there, most of those are the result of american companies exporting trashed up stateside contractor trucks to overseas clients rather than try to sell them to americans.

like that one texas plumbing company truck that still has a houston are code number on it.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

uber is legal and regulated in nyc tho

and that regulation places bans on exploiting emergency situations for surge poo poo bruh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's going to be shortages tonight either way, considering that a travel ban is being declared. i'm sure uber is sacrificing a whole lot of money by capping fares during a period when the governor is ordering all cars off the road anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

let's encourage our drivers small business owners to work in dangerous conditions!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

must be a regional thing. the biggest assholes here drive luxury SUVs.

but would you be able to tell your car not to go to "undesirable" parts of town?

there's a little robot arm and hand in the car that tightly grips a knife whenever a minority gets in the car

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

the hilux is basically the previous gen tundra/4runner so whatever those use

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

qfb. MODS???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

let's encourage our drivers small business owners to work in dangerous conditions!

that's the beauty of 1099s, it's up to the individual to make that decision, no one's forcing them, no one's going to fire them for not doing it

it's up to the individual to make that choice after carefully evaluating the potential profits versus costs. which the captains of industry that drive for uber are clearly doing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

infernal machines posted:

that's the beauty of 1099s, it's up to the individual to make that decision, no one's forcing them, no one's going to fire them for not doing it

it's up to the individual to make that choice after carefully evaluating the potential profits versus costs. which the captains of industry that drive for uber are clearly doing

right nobody will fire them.

uber will just deactivate their drivers accounts. completely different thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you can't fire someone who's not an employee

you just choose to discontinue the business relationship with that partner

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol "only" a 2.8x multiplier

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

also probably difficult to get in/out

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

kalstrams posted:

also probably difficult to get in/out

Americans are fat.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

shaggar is a beautiful font of conventional american wisdom re: cars and driving

it's like the 1950s never ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in 20 years cubans will be driving shaggar

• Locked thread