Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

yeah canadian netflix only

it's got a super good dub so if you're canadian i recommend it

But you miss out on the best engrish line in all of anime.

But seriously, the Steins;Gate dub is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

But you miss out on the best engrish line in all of anime.

Which one?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqrh65uOKJ8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh my god :allears:.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm tempted to watch the dub just because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mslZSL9Z84

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a kitten posted:

Fair warning; You will never ever forget the sound of her saying "Doo-do-doo!"

Seriously though, the dub of Steins;Gate is really really good.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Ahaha that was great, I completely forgot about the first one where he's saying sonofabitch at the end :allears: I can't imagine the dub does much justice to Mayuri's japanese voice though, because drat, it completely made the character for me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Also, part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCQ_xKpqK2k

e: All that said, the dub does have this beautiful gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taH07csN1co (Skip to :45 if you want)

e2:

a kitten posted:

I totally don't remember that. Which episode is it?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 25, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I totally don't remember that. Which episode is it?
Whichever one Kurisutina is introduced I think. I don't remember what she was bringing up in the subbed version, may it's the same I'm sure Daru loves himself some chicken tenders.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I like the animes where the protagonists and antagonists yell and shoot powers at one another. I think I might have read/watched all the good ones though(DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Hitman Reborn, Sevens Sins, JOJO the list goes on and on.) I'm looking for something new to fill that dumb yelling hole in my life, any suggestions?

Dreqqus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 25, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

I like the animes where the protagonists and antagonists yell and shoot powers at one another. I think I might have read/watched all the good ones though(DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Hitman Reborn, Sevens Sins, the list goes on and on.) I'm looking for something new to fill that dumb yelling hole in my life, any suggestions?

Watch Saint Seiya if you haven't already.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dreqqus posted:

I like the animes where the protagonists and antagonists yell and shoot powers at one another. I think I might have read/watched all the good ones though(DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Hitman Reborn, Sevens Sins, JOJO the list goes on and on.) I'm looking for something new to fill that dumb yelling hole in my life, any suggestions?

One Piece is better than half the stuff in your list soooooooo read that

You can probably watch One Pace, which is giving One Piece the DBZ Kai treatment(trimming all the filler/unimportant flashbacks/recaps/bullshit) though I've not watched it so I can't guarantee it's great, but I've heard good things.

If the art is an issue, just keep going, after Arlong Park it basically becomes irrelevant and you're reading it more for the pretty great emotional stuff and story alongside the goofy antics and man-punchin'(and boy does it just about do every single type of man-punchin' possible).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Watch the 2011 Hunter X Hunter anime, and Fist of the North Star, both of which are on Crunchyroll.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I read One Piece up till the arc where they're hanging out with some mermaid lady, and I.... I just couldn't anymore. I read manga more than I watch anime these days.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that was a pretty bad arc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sabaody Archipelago? That ruled and had some of the best scenes in the series in it. Unless you mean Fishman Island, in which case I can totally see what you mean, probably one of the weakest arcs in the series overall, even if it did give us Franky's IRON PIRATE.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah loving fishman island

really boring

luckily dressrosa's good if bloated because fishman island was bad and punk hazard mediocre

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What do people think of Wings of the Honneamise?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's gorgeous.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of Wings of the Honneamise?

good

digital404
Aug 4, 2006
beyond the recommendations in the adtrwiki, is there any other recommended like daily lives of high school boys, devil is a part timer, or level e?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dunno what the Wiki recommends but if it's not Nichijou and/or Nozaki-kun it should be.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

digital404 posted:

beyond the recommendations in the adtrwiki, is there any other recommended like daily lives of high school boys, devil is a part timer, or level e?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692700

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

digital404 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650665

digital404
Aug 4, 2006
saw nozaki-kun. thanks for the binan koukou rec. gonna check it out!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So a couple semesters ago I took a history of animation class at my University. I know the prof pretty good now, and during that time I told him that I thought he spent a little bit too much time on Ghibli stuff, and I thought the episode that he showed as an example of animation turned people off right away (It was a very good Paranoia Agent episode, but it had sex right at the beginning and people started laughing of course).

Well, this semester he said he wanted to talk to me about stuff he could show in class, and wanted my input on it. So, I pretty much know what to recommend as far as other animators are concerned, as last time he only talked about Kon and Miyzaki/Ghibli (Takahata was in there for a GotF clip but that was it), and that was pretty much it. So the people I'm planning on recommending he mention/show clips about is Yuasa (duh), Imaishi (Probably recommend a P&S clip to show that Japanese animation can also be very close to American as well), Koike (Redline, duh), and probably Shinkai, although I'm not much a fan.

What full length episode (20 something minute or shorter, no hour long) episodes should I recommend he show as a great example of Japanese animation/storytelling and can mainly stand on their own with little information needing to be given? Sub or dub works. Right off the top of my head, I thought that an episode or two of Time of Eve would work. Ghost in the Shell:SAC for good dub, plus action, Bunny Drop for more focus on regular life situation. What would you recommend?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'd probably go with one of the single-episode Hyouka plots. That show was pretty. Maybe the first episode? Good for slice of life/thoughtful stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

So a couple semesters ago I took a history of animation class at my University. I know the prof pretty good now, and during that time I told him that I thought he spent a little bit too much time on Ghibli stuff, and I thought the episode that he showed as an example of animation turned people off right away (It was a very good Paranoia Agent episode, but it had sex right at the beginning and people started laughing of course).

Well, this semester he said he wanted to talk to me about stuff he could show in class, and wanted my input on it. So, I pretty much know what to recommend as far as other animators are concerned, as last time he only talked about Kon and Miyzaki/Ghibli (Takahata was in there for a GotF clip but that was it), and that was pretty much it. So the people I'm planning on recommending he mention/show clips about is Yuasa (duh), Imaishi (Probably recommend a P&S clip to show that Japanese animation can also be very close to American as well), Koike (Redline, duh), and probably Shinkai, although I'm not much a fan.

What full length episode (20 something minute or shorter, no hour long) episodes should I recommend he show as a great example of Japanese animation/storytelling and can mainly stand on their own with little information needing to be given? Sub or dub works. Right off the top of my head, I thought that an episode or two of Time of Eve would work. Ghost in the Shell:SAC for good dub, plus action, Bunny Drop for more focus on regular life situation. What would you recommend?

This one's easy; Show an episode of Cowboy Bebop. The visuals and soundtrack are generally gorgeous, and most episodes are stand-alone with a general western-style setting that should be pretty easy for the class to enjoy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A history of animation class that, from the country that produces 60% of the animation in the world, only shows Ghibli and Kon is kind of really missing something, mainly the stuff that isn't fluidly animated. By embracing and improving this style of production, anime has developed markets for animation beyond family films, and developed styles that couldn't be justified at the cost of fluid animation. Without it knowing about it you really can't understand Miyazaki (who's basically makes limited animation his enemy) and Kon (who's works were sold to an audience that was developed thanks to the breadth allowed by limited animation).

Yuasa is a great example of how innovative animation styles can work on a tiny budget, but unfortunately his early work isn't available in America and his later stuff takes a whole series to be understood. Mind Game would be great for this kind of class, maybe the first episode of Kaiba.

I think the first two episodes of Mononoke would work great. It's by Toei, which actually had Miyazaki on payroll back in the late 1940s and 50s when they made feature films. In the 1960s they transitioned to TV animation to compete with Tezuka and Astro Boy, and for obvious reasons lost Miyazaki. While it still does interesting things, it's mostly concerned with toy and manga merchandising, most of which looks like garbage. Mononoke is an exception, and it's interesting in that it uses mostly still frames and 3d rendered digital backgrounds, but with moments of gorgeous animation that serve the mood and story.

Other great history of anime stuff to watch include The Rose of Versailles and Revolutionary Girl Utena, both of which show how anime can do great things while still being shaped by television.

Mamoru Hosoda's movies are also worth looking into.

Maybe check out this book, Anime: A History. It does a much better job than I can of putting things in context, as it actually starts in the early 20th century, through world war 2, and doesn't get to Astro Boy until over halfway through the book. You see the hundred years or older forms of entertainment that influenced later styles, how Otaku and Gianax happened, lots of good stuff that someone who is teaching a class like this should know!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 28, 2015

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm not well versed in my studio history, but wasn't Shaft well known for having really visually interesting, but low budget shows before the Madoka/monogatari money started rolling in? Maybe something from them would fit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

unpronounceable posted:

I'm not well versed in my studio history, but wasn't Shaft well known for having really visually interesting, but low budget shows before the Madoka/monogatari money started rolling in? Maybe something from them would fit.

I don't think you could convince an American professor to watch a show about magical girls or a maid cafe. They definitely are super influential and even better examples of digitally produced limited animation than Mononoke, but likely a no go for someone who isn't super into this stuff already.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

A history of animation class that, from the country that produces 60% of the animation in the world, only shows Ghibli and Kon is kind of really missing something, mainly the stuff that isn't fluidly animated. By embracing and improving this style of production, anime has developed markets for animation beyond family films, and developed styles that couldn't be justified at the cost of fluid animation. Without it knowing about it you really can't understand Miyazaki (who's basically makes limited animation his enemy) and Kon (who's works were sold to an audience that was developed thanks to the breadth allowed by limited animation).

Yuasa is a great example of how innovative animation styles can work on a tiny budget, but unfortunately his early work isn't available in America and his later stuff takes a whole series to be understood. Mind Game would be great for this kind of class, maybe the first episode of Kaiba.

I think the first two episodes of Mononoke would work great. It's by Toei, which actually had Miyazaki on payroll back in the late 1940s and 50s when they made feature films. In the 1960s they transitioned to TV animation to compete with Tezuka and Astro Boy, and for obvious reasons lost Miyazaki. While it still does interesting things, it's mostly concerned with toy and manga merchandising, most of which looks like garbage. Mononoke is an exception, and it's interesting in that it uses mostly still frames and 3d rendered digital backgrounds, but with moments of gorgeous animation that serve the mood and story.

Other great history of anime stuff to watch include The Rose of Versailles and Revolutionary Girl Utena, both of which show how anime can do great things while still being shaped by television.

Mamoru Hosoda's movies are also worth looking into.

Maybe check out this book, Anime: A History. It does a much better job than I can of putting things in context, as it actually starts in the early 20th century, through world war 2, and doesn't get to Astro Boy until over halfway through the book. You see the hundred years or older forms of entertainment that influenced later styles, how Otaku and Gianax happened, lots of good stuff that someone who is teaching a class like this should know!

Ah, yeah. I forgot Hosoda. Should definitely add him in there.

The problem with the class is that animation gets sidelined to about 1 class (From what I remember) that's about 2 hours long. Yeah, I think it's poo poo too, but the majority of the class focuses western stuff. I have the book you mentioned which is completely fantastic, and I feel that a class on Japanese animation itself can be done, but for right now, I pretty much can try to just get the prof to show some really cool and unique stuff that hopefully might get some people interested.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This one's easy; Show an episode of Cowboy Bebop. The visuals and soundtrack are generally gorgeous, and most episodes are stand-alone with a general western-style setting that should be pretty easy for the class to enjoy.

As much as I'd agree with Bebop, I want to go more into the unknown of things and preferably have something shown that isn't so prevalent and get interested in not just the action aspect of anime. That's why I'm leaning more towards Time of Eve. Ghost in the Shell:SAC was a thought because it is well animated, and has action but also some good ideas get thrown out there, and while the movie was huge I think the show was less so. I'm thinking Time of Eve might be the best choice though.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
What would be super cool to slot in would be an episode of Baccano! if you could come up with some way to make it fit. Or maybe just the OP? That's honestly the real reason to include it, even if my personal feelings are the more you show of it the better. The entire show is an homage to Guy Ritchie and to a lesser extent Quintin Tarantino. The latter is likely a tenuous connection at best, but watch Snatch and if you can't see the parallels through both I don't know what to tell you. Not just the opening, but the entirety of Snatch is reflected in Baccano! The interwoven plots, the large casts, even the general feeling of everything happening at once and the often breathless pace of the narrative. Guy Ritchie movies are nerdy in their own way, but not something I'd pegged for influencing such a well regarded anime so much. Even if it did so once removed through a series of light novels.

e: You could even pitch it as something to bring up in a lesson outside of anime day, if only to show how frequently animation is influenced by things other than itself. Even where the normally insular Japanese are considered.

linall fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Cowboy Bebop / Space Dandy, Time of Eve, Mononoke/Mushishi

I think the hard one to put in would be a Gainax show, none of them are really episodic. Maybe you could do Dead Leaves? That's longer than 20 minutes though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Cat Soup" is only 30 minutes long.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

just tell him to show episode 4 of the first Patlabor OVA

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Any Opening Yoshinori Kanada ever worked on, the "Kanada Dragon" scenes from Harmageddon and X (the clamp movie).

The first episode of 0080 War in the Pocket, because the cyclops team scene by Mitsuo Iso is amazing. Episode 12 (the beard one) of Denno Coil is really funny and works standalone as a good story as well, has some cuts by the man himself too.

Any episode of Cowboy Bebop that has a Yutaka Nakamura fight sequence.

Episodes 12 and 54 of Yatterman (2008) imo are the great samples of the Imaishi style of animation, lots of hella cool Gainax people, I think there might be some subs for them.

For Yuasa I'd probably go for the first episode of Kemonozume honestly. Kaiba if you really really have to show off something "unique".

Any episode of Space Dandy really, but I'd go for the finale for extreme animation show-offiness. Or you could go for episode 18 which was entirely animated, directed, storyboarded, etc. by Kiyotaka Oshiyama on his own, who has worked on Ghibli stuff.

Anything from Nichijou honestly. Kyoani is showing off hella hard on that show.

The first episode of Rolling Girls.

I'll prob edit when I remember more stuff.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 28, 2015

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Robot Carnival has some really amazing animation. Also, most of the episodes have very little or no dialogue and manage to tell a story completely through visuals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

As much as I'd agree with Bebop, I want to go more into the unknown of things and preferably have something shown that isn't so prevalent and get interested in not just the action aspect of anime. That's why I'm leaning more towards Time of Eve. Ghost in the Shell:SAC was a thought because it is well animated, and has action but also some good ideas get thrown out there, and while the movie was huge I think the show was less so. I'm thinking Time of Eve might be the best choice though.

I know what you need then - show the first episode of Mushi-shi. It's dubbed, stand-alone (and takes a moment to explain what Mushi are), and it's gorgeous :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't think you could convince an American professor to watch a show about magical girls or a maid cafe. They definitely are super influential and even better examples of digitally produced limited animation than Mononoke, but likely a no go for someone who isn't super into this stuff already.
The useful/interesting part about Shaft shows is that they treat animation as unique a very separate medium from film, rather than just mimicking film cinematography and conventions. The abstraction of background characters and focus on two or three characters against a non-representative backdrop draws more heavily on theatrical styles than on film styles, with even more freedom to just run wild with it than physical props would allow. If you want to emphasize how animation can be a unique medium, you'd be hard pressed to find better.

• Locked thread