Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Wii games they are releasing on the eshop so far require a wiimote yeah, which is why I haven't bought any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

hubris.height posted:

i skipped the wii entirely as well and of the wii games i've played the following appear worth it

-metroid prime
-super paper mario
-xenoblade (if you like jrpgs)
-mario galaxy 2
-the wii zelda games if waggle controls don't piss you off

If you like JRPGs, you should also grab The Last Story. It's basically a lost Final Fantasy.

Some other Wii stuff that's worth playing:
* Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
* Metal Slug Anthology
* Madworld
* No More Heroes 1/2

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 26, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
buy twilight princess on gamecube, not wii.

also i think skyward sword is pretty fun, not sure what people have against it besides the misleading promo art featuring the red bird you will hardly ever use.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

Already played through it on Gamecube. I was disappointed that the combat was a step back from Wind Waker to accommodate the Wii controls, but I skipped the N64, so ripping off Ocarina of Time seemed fresh to me. When I went back to play OoT on the Gamecube I realized how much had been borrowed.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
What is the chilest game for when you just wanna chill out and play a game

Controller support is a plus

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
eufloria hd

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

also i think skyward sword is pretty fun, not sure what people have against it besides the misleading promo art featuring the red bird you will hardly ever use.

some people don't like the overworld is basically a dungeon, which is a taste thing, and the tutorial does have problems with being a little intrusive, but most of the complaints are people banging their plastic spoon on the table and shouting about the motion controls, which were fine. it's a good game which is not the best zelda but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Ahundredbux posted:

What is the chilest game for when you just wanna chill out and play a game

Controller support is a plus

Fl0w

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Bicyclops posted:

some people don't like the overworld is basically a dungeon, which is a taste thing, and the tutorial does have problems with being a little intrusive, but most of the complaints are people banging their plastic spoon on the table and shouting about the motion controls, which were fine. it's a good game which is not the best zelda but not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

The motion controls were absolute garbage. Skyward Sword's motion controls were a bigger disappointment than playing Red Steel for the first time and realizing that the Wiimote was not gaming's ambrosia. And the tutorial is not "a little intrusive" it lasts loving forever and when I quit playing the game (about 5 hours in) the game was still holding my hand and not letting me go anywhere on my own.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The controls were good and added fun depth to the bosses and the tutorial is at worst mildly annoying.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

You probably play a lot of baby games and have a higher tolerance for terrible tutorials than I do

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The controls failing miserably at Skyward Swords E3 presentation should have been everyone's first major red flag.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

people loving love kingdom hearts 2 and it takes about as long to escape the tutorial in that game

I said come in! posted:

The controls failing miserably at Skyward Swords E3 presentation should have been everyone's first major red flag.

yeah i'm sure it had nothing to do with heavy interference from the thousands of cellphones and cameras buzzing in the crowd.

Adam Bowen posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2 is also an insanely bad game for literal babies though

here is a confirmation that adam bowen is trying to poo poo up another gaming thread, please ignore his posts

Excels fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 26, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Kingdom Hearts 2 is also an insanely bad game for literal babies though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Excels posted:

yeah i'm sure it had nothing to do with heavy interference from the thousands of cellphones and cameras buzzing in the crowd.

It didn't, because the way the Wii motion controls work, that stuff would have no effect on the controls.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Weirdly I was just listening to an old Bombcast about that exact presentation. Consensus was the presentation was worrying but the hands on demos seemed fine. For what it's worth the controls worked fine for me(didn't get very far in the game, granted). It's hard to account for the trouble people have, isn't the Motion Plus just a gyroscope?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

It didn't, because the way the Wii motion controls work, that stuff would have no effect on the controls.

It was wireless interference. Everyone who played it on the show floor said it responded fine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skyward sword is the worst zelda. Wand of gamelon or whatever terrible cdi game owns it everyday in fun. This is a fact.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8XUf-8PD8Y

but it brought us this.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

It was wireless interference. Everyone who played it on the show floor said it responded fine.

if, as you say, wireless interference was the cause, then would it not also be hosed up, on the show floor

clearly teh wii used in the conference was the issue

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

I was hoping for a real game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's good to know that Adam Bowen hates Skyward Sword, because it only increases my belief that it is in fact a great game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it is a game taht could be good if they would enable support for the classic controller

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ahundredbux posted:

I was hoping for a real game

Eufloria HD

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

hubris.height posted:

it is a game taht could be good if they would enable support for the classic controller

What makes it stand out from other Zeldas aside from the Motion controls?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I feel dirty every time Adam Bowen says something I agree with, but ... he's not entirely wrong. The game is one endless ultra-linear fetch quest from start to finish, by the time I was approaching the end game and the dragons sent me off to do the most contrived busywork ever -again- because I still hadn't 'proved my worthiness' I was just about ready to put away the game. The motion controls were alright though, never really saw peoples problems with those

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The combat is cool, each boss is like a little puzzle, especially Ghiranim.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I feel dirty every time Adam Bowen says something I agree with, but ... he's not entirely wrong. The game is one endless ultra-linear fetch quest from start to finish, by the time I was approaching the end game and the dragons sent me off to do the most contrived busywork ever -again- because I still hadn't 'proved my worthiness' I was just about ready to put away the game. The motion controls were alright though, never really saw peoples problems with those

skyward sword came out like a full year after everyone stopped thinking motion controls were cool so a lot of people were ready to hate them and with the introduction of flapping and bomb bowling they weren't disappointed.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

nothing, its a zelda game. i have a kind of unwarranted nostalgia for it because i started to play it last year and got frustrated with motion controls and decide i couldn't play through it, and i never will

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bicyclops posted:

The combat is cool, each boss is like a little puzzle, especially Ghiranim.

The combat is an artifact of the motion controls, no? I can't imagine it'd be that fun with an analog stick. I didn't like Dead Island, anyway.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i broke a small sweat fighting Demise at the end, it was pretty fuckin hype. it's too bad you have to go through Imprisoned bullshit and the Time Boat to reach the fun parts

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
TLoZ for the NES is my favorite Zelda

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

When I was a kid, my dad and I were both into RPGs; we played the few NES RPGs that came out in America together, taking turns with the controller. Beat Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, and a few others that way. We had been working on Zelda 2 for a few months, and were on the final palace; we were stuck, because we hadn't figured out that you needed Thunder to beat Thunderbird.

One afternoon, my dad was late coming home from work, and I was playing it solo with a friend watching. He wasn't familiar with NES carts that saved games, and thought it'd be funny to hit Reset a few times. The save file ended up becoming corrupted. Dad was sad enough about the lost progress that he didn't play video games for years afterward.

gently caress that guy.

One of these days I'll go back and beat Zelda 2.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

every time i wake up i scrape the ooze between my balls and rear end and deposit it in a jar
today is has finally reached enough quantity so i can add cement powder to it and make a solid shape
i press a knife against memory foam, and pour the liquid in the cavity
every time i regret telling you about something, like LA MANO, i mark my face with a line wit my new ball knife
i look like the loving pinhead got zandatsu'd

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

you should be glad that widestancer likes you, as they are one of the coolest posters in Games.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Excels posted:

you should be glad that widestancer likes you, as they are one of the coolest posters in Games.

That's more of a statement about Games

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ullerrm posted:

When I was a kid, my dad and I were both into RPGs; we played the few NES RPGs that came out in America together, taking turns with the controller. Beat Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, and a few others that way. We had been working on Zelda 2 for a few months, and were on the final palace; we were stuck, because we hadn't figured out that you needed Thunder to beat Thunderbird.

One afternoon, my dad was late coming home from work, and I was playing it solo with a friend watching. He wasn't familiar with NES carts that saved games, and thought it'd be funny to hit Reset a few times. The save file ended up becoming corrupted. Dad was sad enough about the lost progress that he didn't play video games for years afterward.

gently caress that guy.

One of these days I'll go back and beat Zelda 2.

Ugggghhhh worst game for that to happen in

I played through it for the first time like a year and a half ago. I'm 2bad@games to really enjoy it I guess because I found it to be a major pain in the rear

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was kind of a dick to my best friend as a kid because we both loved the legend of zelda and every now and then I would call him up and be like "dude Legend of Zelda 2 is out! It has a spear!" and after about 10 minutes I'd be like "haha syke". this was before the internet and you know if you can believe it there wasn't any actual information about Zelda 2 even existing as far as I could find

until one day I'm in K-Mart with my mom and I look over at the video games all casual and see a golden box behind the counter that says LEGEND OF ZELDA 2 BITCH and I made her buy me that so fast

when i got home and called my friend I had to be like "no seriously FOR REAL THIS TIME GO TO K MART" and his mom got on the phone and was all like "YOU BETTER NOT BE SYKING HIM OUT AGAIN YOU LITTLE poo poo"

it was funny

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm playing it for the first time, and I don't think I can bring myself to call Duke Nukem Forever a horrible game. It's simple as gently caress and the "Duke Is Totally Awesome In Every Way!" poo poo is tiresome from minute one, but the weapons are designed so similarly to DN3D that the nostalgia is smoothing over the varied annoyances I've had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

it's only a bad game in the sense that it would have been cool if it had come out like ten years ago. you can cut it in half and see the layers of FPS trends it's been shoving in since the 90s

• Locked thread