Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I finally finished The Stand.

Some thoughts:

I really enjoyed the character development that happened throughout. The collapse of civilization was gripping to read and it did get a little slow during the middle like you guys said it would. There are a few characters I wish Stephen King had explored more: The Rat Man, Randall Flagg (seriously), and the "normals" of Las Vegas - especially the kids. I also wish King had spent some time talking about cleaning out Boulder and all the horrible poo poo that was found there. The church scene was alright, but what about supermarkets and office towers and even the homes? The "shuttered tombs" line got dragged to death.

I can see how the climax is open to interpretation regarding the Hand of God. I'm going to side with the "not a literal hand" camp, where the Las Vegas people and Flagg brought it on themselves/himself through cocky overpower with a healthy dose of spiritual guidance.

Though I don't know why the four Free Zoners had to go to Vegas if Trashcan Man was just going to bring the nuke back anyway and cause the explosion. He had no idea they were in town, he was out in the desert.

The very end was also sort of silly. Island peoples? What? It felt like the sort of tacked-on ending lame horror films have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Damo posted:

Wow dude, talk about being condescending. I made it through reading all the poo poo you wrote in your post, so based on that I think I'm pretty patient.

You can be a patient reader and still think that something is boring or bad. Like the first 100 pages of Black House. It wasn't the worst thing I ever read, but it was pretty boring. If I wasn't patient I would have never made it past it. I can understand other people liking it, of course. It just wasn't my style.

Not that the rest of the book was amazing or anything in comparison. I think anyone would say The Talisman is infinitely better than Black House. My original post was just expressing how I didn't think it's complete poo poo like most people, that's all.

Good for you.

There is no accounting for taste. If you think I'm being condescending because Black House starts out slow, then, here: You can like it or lump it. I only explained one particular device Straub uses to good effect. Not patient enough to enjoy it? Not your style? I give zero fucks, and you are perfectly free to disagree.

Ok?

Good.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Good for you.

There is no accounting for taste. If you think I'm being condescending because Black House starts out slow, then, here: You can like it or lump it. I only explained one particular device Straub uses to good effect. Not patient enough to enjoy it? Not your style? I give zero fucks, and you are perfectly free to disagree.

Ok?

Good.

You're a dick, a very weird dick.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

ExtraNoise posted:

I finally finished The Stand.

The very end was also sort of silly. Island peoples? What? It felt like the sort of tacked-on ending lame horror films have.

You are 100% right about the lameness of the last chapter. It was as if King had to hammer the home the point that the battle between good and evil is cyclical and will never end. We get that from the ambiguous ending, which (in the shorter, original version) was Stu and Franny talking. That left it beautifully open ended.

The original Stand had both a better beginning (the car crashing at the gas station) and ending (Stu and Franny talking) than the long version. While I think the longer version has some advantages, in terms of narrative and pace the shorter version is superior. King himself did the editing first time round and he got it just right (I mean, I know the transition between parts 2 and 3 is rather rushed, but I mean in terms of working with the novel he had written King did a good job with the first edit, considering he was asked to cut a fair amount).

If I had to "fan edit" The Stand, I would have the long version minus opening and closing chapters, and I would revert to the 1978 setting (1990? why???). I might cut a few of the added passages later but those first points really grate.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 26, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

You're a dick, a very weird dick.
Best burn ever.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Black House is worse than Song of Susannah and Gerald's Game combined. The biggest insult I can find.

Getting into the home stretch of a re-listen to the DT series. Man, is that narrator change harsh as gently caress in book 5. (Yes I know why) Still, I like them both. Someday I should probably listen to the new recording of the Gunslinger, but I as a rule dislike special editions.

Song made me slightly less angry than it did the first time around. I still think it has the problem where it just feels like leftover business to set up the final novel, without any narrative focus of its own. With some much needed editing the final 3 could have been 2.

I still think the golden sneeches returning in book 7, particularly the second time, is the single greatest mistake in the series. I'm still a big fan of most of what goes on in book 7. But most of the real world references that were fresh at the time already feel distant a mere decade on. Granted SK is known for his timely reference which date his books, but they're usually not so central to the plot. 9/11, harry potter, and king's own accident don't have the punch needed anymore that they're designed to have.

One question I have, is any death in a SK story ever a surprise, or does he literally always tell you in advance?

I can think of a suicide in The Regulators that seemed very sudden and had nothing leading to it. But I know in the Stand, It, and Dark Tower (my most recent rereads) he always tells you when someone is about to die.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wait, doesn't the cut edition remove the "No Great Loss" chapter? That's like the best part of the book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wait, doesn't the cut edition remove the "No Great Loss" chapter? That's like the best part of the book.

Best thing he's ever written.

If it got cut, that's a great loss indeed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Best thing he's ever written.

If it got cut, that's a great loss indeed.

I was asking because I haven't read the edited version, but I thought that was near the start of the book so...

Anyone?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ExtraNoise posted:

I can see how the climax is open to interpretation regarding the Hand of God. I'm going to side with the "not a literal hand" camp, where the Las Vegas people and Flagg brought it on themselves/himself through cocky overpower with a healthy dose of spiritual guidance.

Though I don't know why the four Free Zoners had to go to Vegas if Trashcan Man was just going to bring the nuke back anyway and cause the explosion. He had no idea they were in town, he was out in the desert.

Because Trash doesn't cause the explosion. Flagg does, when he invokes his little fireball to melt Whitney's face off. If they don't go, then they don't get captured, Flagg doesn't summon his followers to witness the execution, Whitney doesn't speak out against it. Instead of the fireball manifesting as the hand of god and setting off the nuke Trash shows up with, we'd have some other ending that doesn't invoke the superficial and lazy theology of God as Chess Player, and Abigail would just be some crazy old biddy instead of a divine prophet. I mean, a *real* God could just blow up Vegas on his own and incinerate everyone there, kids included, in a burst of holy fire, but the god that King writes about is much smaller and punier.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rypakal posted:

Black House is worse than Song of Susannah and Gerald's Game combined. The biggest insult I can find.
I think that is incredibly harsh and undeserved.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Because Trash doesn't cause the explosion. Flagg does, when he invokes his little fireball to melt Whitney's face off. If they don't go, then they don't get captured, Flagg doesn't summon his followers to witness the execution, Whitney doesn't speak out against it. Instead of the fireball manifesting as the hand of god and setting off the nuke Trash shows up with, we'd have some other ending that doesn't invoke the superficial and lazy theology of God as Chess Player, and Abigail would just be some crazy old biddy instead of a divine prophet. I mean, a *real* God could just blow up Vegas on his own and incinerate everyone there, kids included, in a burst of holy fire, but the god that King writes about is much smaller and punier.

I think this captures the end of the Stand pretty well. As I mentioned before, the Stand is his major work that I least liked, and a good part of it is that it has a very superficial theology. But as superficial as that theology is, it is still not just "literal hand of god as deus ex machina."

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Phanatic posted:

I think my only qualm is that everyone in Vegas was totally obliterated whether they were gathered or not. The nuke was SO large that Stu felt its heat from over at least six hours away (by car travel). I got the impression the nuke was bound to go off regardless of a magic fireball. That being said, your explanation makes a lot of sense and pretty much clarifies things. Thanks.

Edit:

GreyPowerVan posted:

I got to this chapter after everyone here had built it up and was a little disappointed. I thought it was good, but I was expecting more. Something more visceral or heart-wrenching. Something.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

GreyPowerVan posted:

I really can't be sure. It's been about 20 years since I read the short version. I think it was either shorter or cut. Some goon will have a copy to check.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ExtraNoise posted:

I think my only qualm is that everyone in Vegas was totally obliterated whether they were gathered or not. The nuke was SO large that Stu felt its heat from over at least six hours away (by car travel). I got the impression the nuke was bound to go off regardless of a magic fireball.

Yeah, but if they don't gather to gawk at what will no doubt be a stirringly brutal execution, then Whitney, one of the dissidents, doesn't speak out against Flagg and draw his wrath, so there's no face-melting. It's Whitney's speech about how "This isn't how Americans behave! We resort to more human methods of execution, like the electric chair, or smothering with cushions!" that provokes flag to summon the fireball, and it's that summoning that winds up setting off the bomb. Absent that, there's just a bomb sitting there in a trailer, no reason for it to go off.

Granted, Flagg's little ball of fire suddenly turning all big and hand-shaped and making a beeline for the bomb isn't much of a "reason" either.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

Ignoring later books, Flagg is pretty obviously a divine servant sent to test the people who survive superflu in The Stand. God activates him specifically to force a choice on the survivors- will they stay with the old world, or abandon it for something new? By making their stand against Flagg and rejecting the old world, they pass the test, and God annihilates them for it. But mankind is allowed to survive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Effectronica posted:

Ignoring later books, Flagg is pretty obviously a divine servant sent to test the people who survive superflu in The Stand. God activates him specifically to force a choice on the survivors- will they stay with the old world, or abandon it for something new? By making their stand against Flagg and rejecting the old world, they pass the test, and God annihilates them for it. But mankind is allowed to survive.

That doesn't even work unless you ignore the extended re-release. Unless God's such a dick that even beyond annihilating most of the population of the developed world, he then decides that he's going to send Flagg to some random rain forest tribe to test them as well, even though they're still perfectly happy with their old world and don't seem eager to abandon it.

And with that idea in mind, doesn't _The Stand_ seem so provincially American? About the only things we know about the non-American parts of the world is that, whoops, they got infected too so their populations crashed. But nobody in Russia or Europe got dreams about Abigail. No Cuban hopped on a raft to make his way to Nebraska. What with all the border guards being dead, it'd be easier than usual for Mexicans et al to walk North Across the border, but God's apparently not interested in their choice re: the old world vs. something new.

I'm bored at work.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Phanatic posted:

That doesn't even work unless you ignore the extended re-release. Unless God's such a dick that even beyond annihilating most of the population of the developed world, he then decides that he's going to send Flagg to some random rain forest tribe to test them as well, even though they're still perfectly happy with their old world and don't seem eager to abandon it.

And with that idea in mind, doesn't _The Stand_ seem so provincially American? About the only things we know about the non-American parts of the world is that, whoops, they got infected too so their populations crashed. But nobody in Russia or Europe got dreams about Abigail. No Cuban hopped on a raft to make his way to Nebraska. What with all the border guards being dead, it'd be easier than usual for Mexicans et al to walk North Across the border, but God's apparently not interested in their choice re: the old world vs. something new.

I'm bored at work.

I inferred that Flagg's reappearance was meant to be occurring at a different, maybe much earlier point in time. But it's been a long time and maybe King did explicitly say that it was still the post-Trips world.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

I'm bored at work.

That's clearly a different world, and a different test. It even tells you what the test is going to be when he says he's going to teach them civilization. It's the only thing that makes sense with him suddenly getting magic when Captain Trips gets loose, and losing his magic when people refuse to be intimidated by him.

King explicitly wrote it as an attempt at an American Lord of the Rings, so I don't know why you're surprised. If you like, you can figure the rest of the world, not being condemned by a cruel God, got back on their feet.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Black House was quite a slog to get through. I skimmed quite a bit of it and I don;t normally do that with any book.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I really can't be sure. It's been about 20 years since I read the short version. I think it was either shorter or cut. Some goon will have a copy to check.

Doing some comparisons with phrases from Google book search to my cut copy, I can confirm the "no great loss" chapter is gone.

In the uncut version, Chapter 37 ends with "But it was a long time before he could get back to sleep."

That line concludes Chapter 29 in the cut version.

Chapter 30 of the cut version starts with "Lloyd Henreid was down on his knees."

That's Chapter 39 in the uncut version.

Chapter 38 was the "no great loss" chapter.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Effectronica posted:

That's clearly a different world, and a different test. It even tells you what the test is going to be when he says he's going to teach them civilization. It's the only thing that makes sense with him suddenly getting magic when Captain Trips gets loose, and losing his magic when people refuse to be intimidated by him.

King explicitly wrote it as an attempt at an American Lord of the Rings, so I don't know why you're surprised. If you like, you can figure the rest of the world, not being condemned by a cruel God, got back on their feet.
Wow, this is a very good post. I never even thought of all that stuff. Seems glaringly obvious, now. Thanks.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I finished Revival a little bit ago, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was a great life story for sure, but it felt like my creeping dread (what little there was) didn't really pan out. At least not in a way I find particularly horrifying.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I don't want to start a war here, but since a few goons mentioned Straub recently, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on Ghost Story or Floating Dragon for my next read. I've never read any of Straub's stuff before.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't want to start a war here, but since a few goons mentioned Straub recently, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on Ghost Story or Floating Dragon for my next read. I've never read any of Straub's stuff before.

Ask Dr. Faustis. He has very strong opinions about Peter Straub. Me? I've found Straub hard to read but, admittedly, I was very young when I tried.

I've been reading Lisey's Story, which everyone here seems to hate, but 150 pages in so far I think it's OK. The phonetic writing is a tad grating and over the top but the story itself so far is compelling.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Someone needs to start a Straub thread to get this poo poo out of here.

Edit: Not genuine recommendations for what to read. The forum drama poo poo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Ask Dr. Faustis. He has very strong opinions about Peter Straub. Me? I've found Straub hard to read but, admittedly, I was very young when I tried.

I've been reading Lisey's Story, which everyone here seems to hate, but 150 pages in so far I think it's OK. The phonetic writing is a tad grating and over the top but the story itself so far is compelling.
Lol sensitive much?

Read Shadowland. It's like The Talisman,, but scarier.

Then read Floating Dragon. It will gently caress you up. (so will the end of Shadowland.)

Look how strong my opinions of Peter Straub are!

ExtraNoise posted:

Someone needs to start a Straub thread to get this poo poo out of here.

Edit: Not genuine recommendations for what to read. The forum drama poo poo.
Hey, you giant pearl, just skip the posts you don't want to read.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Dude if you can't tell you're being a giant dick in comparison to the standard tone of the book barn posting you are one dense weirdo. Just chill out man. Or take it to gibbis.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i do think it's funny that people make fun of koontz's inevitable ADORABLE DOG CHARACTERS but give king a pass for his equally consistent use of Magical Indigo Children, but koontz is absolutely 100% poo poo at writing anything apart from dogs, so yuo can't blame him for including them whenever possible

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Speaking of other authors, anyone with recommendations for recent horror books? I enjoyed Cutter's The Troop someone mentioned a few months ago here, and like the first 2/3s of Cronin's The Passage (but was seriously annoyed by the twelve).

Cutter actually just had another book called The Deep come out and it looks awesome. I'm definitely gonna read it soon.

Adam Nevill's Last Days is one of my favorite recentish horror novels. It's about a 60s hippie cult gone bad and was very dark and creepy.

Talmonis posted:

I finished Revival a little bit ago, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was a great life story for sure, but it felt like my creeping dread (what little there was) didn't really pan out. At least not in a way I find particularly horrifying.

I had the same reaction basically. I think for me it might have been because the book started out so dark, what with the Rev's family getting wiped out in that brutally described car crash after becoming attached to them in the book's first act and none of the other horror-type stuff that happened after that came close to matching the dread of that one scene for me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

savinhill posted:

I had the same reaction basically. I think for me it might have been because the book started out so dark, what with the Rev's family getting wiped out in that brutally described car crash after becoming attached to them in the book's first act and none of the other horror-type stuff that happened after that came close to matching the dread of that one scene for me.

Yeah, as the father of a toddler, that scene shook me up pretty good. Had to put the book down for a day or so. What the Rev was screaming there isn't something I want to think about ever again.

Sometimes King is really good at plain old human grief and emotional pain as a horror device. Nothing else in that book came close to it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

An opinion is not "undeserved". Nothing "deserves" a good opinion. And yes it's harsh, but I hated Black House with a seething passion. Gerald's game is his most awful book on thematic grounds, but Black House is worse to me because it's tied to the Talisman, one of his best.

e: and song of susannah is his most unnecessary book. Take the three final dark tower books and trim them down to two. No great loss.
e2: No great loss is indeed cut from the original Stand.

rypakal fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 28, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

i do think it's funny that people make fun of koontz's inevitable ADORABLE DOG CHARACTERS but give king a pass for his equally consistent use of Magical Indigo Children, but koontz is absolutely 100% poo poo at writing anything apart from dogs, so yuo can't blame him for including them whenever possible

The only book of Koontz's I like was Intensity and it was the first one I ever read by him. It suckered me into thinking he was good and I wasted time reading 3 or 4 more of his before I came to the conclusion that he sucks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked the first 75% of phantoms.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If anyone REALLY likes Salems Lot and wants to throw money at King -

Super deluxe limited edition version

Special Features For This Deluxe Special Edition:
• an introduction by Stephen King
• an afterword by Clive Barker
• many deleted scenes that were cut from the original manuscript
• the short stories “Jerusalem’s Lot” and “One for the Road”
• deluxe oversized design (7 inches X 10 inches) featuring two color interior printing as part of the page design
• printed on a heavy interior specialty paper stock that is much thicker than the paper in a normal trade edition
• epic wrap-around full color dust jacket artwork by David Palumbo
• a different full color dust jacket for the Numbered Artist Edition painted by David Palumbo
• full color interior paintings by David Palumbo
• interior artwork will be printed on a heavy glossy stock and tipped into the book
• an original map of the town drawn by Glenn Chadbourne exclusively for this special edition
• signature sheet artwork for all three editions by Glenn Chadbourne
• high-quality endpapers and fine bindings
• an exclusive reproduction of the first reader’s letter to point out the Father “Cody” error and several internal memos from Doubleday about changing the pricing after the first edition of the book was already printed
• extremely collectible print run that is a tiny fraction of the TENS OF MILLIONS of copies of this novel you’ve seen in bookstores over the years!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

$95 regular edition in slipcase (3,000 copies)

$250 signed and numbered by artist edition in traycase (presumably they mean "clamshell") (150 copies)

$1,250 signed and numbered etc by King artist (52 copies) (thanks for pointing that out)

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Note that none of those editions are signed by King. Based on Carrie , though, it's going to be a lovely book.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Most of this content seems similar to the Illustration Edition released a few years ago.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Salemslottrade.jpg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What would you guys say is King's most underrated book? Based on this thread, I'd say Cujo, Gerald's Game and Rose Madder.

Also, is it mainly the phonetic spelling in Lisey's Story that most bothers people about it (because it is a pain in the rear end to parse) or is there some other thing in it I'm going to be crushed by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BiggerBoat posted:

What would you guys say is King's most underrated book? Based on this thread, I'd say Cujo, Gerald's Game and Rose Madder.

Also, is it mainly the phonetic spelling in Lisey's Story that most bothers people about it (because it is a pain in the rear end to parse) or is there some other thing in it I'm going to be crushed by?

I've never felt the desire to read Rose Madder, though I thought Cujo was fantastic. What would you recommend about it?