Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

That is the weirdest coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

This is Sakurai's true vision.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/smash-4-wii-u-data-discoveries/

quote:

I did a lot of data-mining into the 3DS version; so I was super excited when the Wii U game files could finally be decrypted. Here’s what I found:

The Share menu (Sharing Mii Fighters, Snapshots and Video) is present in the Wii U version. The text for it is the same (AFAIK). There are no additional fighter characters. However…

C:\SSB4\ui\replace\chr\chr_00 chr_00_Virus_01.nut

C:\SSB4\ui\replace\chr\chr_11 chr_11_Virus_01.nut

C:\SSB4\ui\replace\chr\chr_12 chr_12_Virus_01.nut

Lastly… C:\SSB4\ui\replace\chr\stock_90 stock_90_Virus_01.nut

This strongly suggests that Dr. Mario was going to receive a stage. Perhaps the three different Viruses had a different effect on the players (Chill could freeze, Weird could give the effect of Lip’s Stick and Fever could give players fire breath). There’s no way to tell as the models and stage have been removed.

ui_mark_db has references to rhythm (in the fighter section) and diary (in the stage selection). This is the game’s database for the emblems (marks) used in the game. See the original order below (text edited to delete extra markup). One theory is that the Gematsu Leak was correct, and the Chorus Men were originally planned. Diary is a potential reference to Swap Note, as the Japanese name is for the series is いつの間に交換日記 with 日記 being diary. One proposed theory is that PictoChat 2 originally was going to be a Swap Note themed stage, but was changed after the controversy. However, nothing else in the files suggests that so far, and the actual textures for the emblems are missing. The emblem order follows the character order. It’s sad to see that the Ice Climbers and Snake were removed.

Please note, it seems that the textures for these series have been removed. Stay tune for additional information.

smashbros donkeykong starfox kirby fzero metroid mother pokemon zelda mario yoshi
fireemblem gamewatch
pikmin wario palutena famicomrobot sonic plankton touch doubutsu
wiifit xenoblade punchout duckhunt rhythm rockman
nintendogs miiplaza pacman tomodachi wreckingcrew
wuhuisland miiverse lightplane braintraining balloonfight diary etc

Personally, I feel this confirms the Gematsu leak. Most likely Chrom was pushed aside for Robin, early on in the development as Sakurai felt that Robin was a more unique character (And then Sakurai lampooned Chrom for even being considered in the Robin reveal trailer and Palutena’s Guidance).

Before I forget, there’s a ton of people to thank and recognize. The Wii U hacking has made significant progress in the last two weeks. crediar released his decryption software, chroxx and RandomTalkingBush made the code to properly extract the files for Smash 4 Wii U. Without their efforts, I would be very lost.

edit: tldr: There are references to a Dr. Mario stage, a Rhythm Heaven character, and something to do with Swapnote/Letter Box.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 26, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I Always Believed the Gematsu Leak

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I Always Believed the Gematsu Leak

I did too and was very very happy when it was destroyed

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I am the Gematsu leak

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The backpedaling and half-assed justifications after the leak was destroyed did make for an entertaining few weeks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I always assumed it was legit but partially based on outdated info.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't remember the specific details of the Gematsu leak anymore but that seriously had a lot of easy to guess predictions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have come to the conclusion that I don't get the grab mechanic. Opponents have an easy time grabbing me, but I can never seem to grab anyone. What are the tricks other than "don't play Ike?"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Smash has kind of a rock-paper-scissors thing going on where regular attacks are chumped by shields, shields are chumped by grabs and grabs are chumped by attacks (Attack > Grab > Shield > Attack). The easiest way I've found to grab someone is to block an attack, then grab. This works really well for aerial approaches from most characters because if they're approaching from the sky, they can't do anything but airdodge and attack, generally, so you can just shield until they land, then grab once they're either cooling down from landing or attacking. Just be wary of characters with a command grab, like Bowser or Ganondorf's side B because those will go through your shield. If you decide you wanna play a character with some kind of hitstun locking, like Ness's PK Fire, then you can try to catch them with the move that traps them in place, then rush up to them and grab. As a Robin player, these are basically the only reliable ways I've found to actually grab someone as her because her grab range is garbage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Worth keeping in mind that some characters have unusually lovely, slow grabs(pac-man, samus) which can really easily be chumped out, and even if you're not then you still might get unlucky timing-wise.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

shield grabbing is great in this game because almost nothing in smash 4 is safe on block besides projectiles

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

IronicDongz posted:

Worth keeping in mind that some characters have unusually lovely, slow grabs(pac-man, samus) which can really easily be chumped out, and even if you're not then you still might get unlucky timing-wise.

Samus has a very slow grab but it's also one of the few (the only?) that has multiple utilities. Specifically, it's an amazing spacing tool in midair.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Smash has kind of a rock-paper-scissors thing going on where regular attacks are chumped by shields, shields are chumped by grabs and grabs are chumped by attacks (Attack > Grab > Shield > Attack). The easiest way I've found to grab someone is to block an attack, then grab. This works really well for aerial approaches from most characters because if they're approaching from the sky, they can't do anything but airdodge and attack, generally, so you can just shield until they land, then grab once they're either cooling down from landing or attacking. Just be wary of characters with a command grab, like Bowser or Ganondorf's side B because those will go through your shield. If you decide you wanna play a character with some kind of hitstun locking, like Ness's PK Fire, then you can try to catch them with the move that traps them in place, then rush up to them and grab. As a Robin player, these are basically the only reliable ways I've found to actually grab someone as her because her grab range is garbage.
Yeah, this explains a lot about the last half hour.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I avoid grabbing because I get grabbed whenever I try to grab.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

shield grabbing is great in this game because almost nothing in smash 4 is safe on block besides Diddy Kong

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

You can shield cancel Robin's grab to give it a longer range.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/smash-4-wii-u-data-discoveries/

edit: tldr: There are references to a Dr. Mario stage, a Rhythm Heaven character, and something to do with Swapnote/Letter Box.

Let the unsubstantiated DLC rumors begin

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

thats not what i posted TheKingofSprings.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Let the unsubstantiated DLC rumors begin

Unsubstantiated nothing, we'll be getting a shitload of DLC within a year, guaranteed

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

wolf

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Now I just have to figure out the timing on shields. They seem way more useful for my opponents than me.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unsubstantiated nothing, we'll be getting a shitload of DLC within a year, guaranteed

I loving hope so :getin:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pichu's back.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Please do not stop playing Ike.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ike shares my avatar's haircut, so he is my spiritual brother.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Likewise, you have to play as Diddy Kong, because your avatar is terrible.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

A fun thing to do in For Glory when a match starts is stand perfectly still and see how long it takes the other guy to move after the round starts. Shields and grabs are very strong and everyone knows it, so you'll find a lot of people who won't even try to be the one to initiate, they just wait to punish. I hope Sakurai plays enough of those people to get really mad and turn the game into an aggressor's paradise.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

A fun thing to do in For Glory when a match starts is stand perfectly still and see how long it takes the other guy to move after the round starts. Shields and grabs are very strong and everyone knows it, so you'll find a lot of people who won't even try to be the one to initiate, they just wait to punish.
Doesn't that give a massive advantage to characters with projectiles, since they can force opponents to approach?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Other than the advantage afforded by the basic stage being Final Destination rather than Battlefield.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

that doesnt sound like a fun thing to do at all

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can shield cancel Robin's grab to give it a longer range.

How do I do that?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Likewise, you have to play as Diddy Kong, because your avatar is terrible.

Careful, the GC avatar mafia is always watching.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

How do I do that?

Initiate a dash, then immediately after hit shield, then immediately hit A. If done correctly a shine will appear behind Robin as you grab.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sharrrk posted:

that doesnt sound like a fun thing to do at all

It is fun to go online and not play a video game. :geno:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is that a Robin only thing?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

jeez louise, I'm tellin you...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Is that a Robin only thing?

Most characters can do it but it's not effective for every character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

No? They have to take several months to make Mewtwo because they finished and shipped the game. And then went "OH poo poo, people EXPECTED DLC?" "What's DLC?!". Mewtwo's development is literally starting from square 1 because of Japanese development house ignorance of the western market. And they've outright stated Mewtwo is a test and will probably be the only DLC.

• Locked thread