Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

I don't know what horrible bullshit is going on outside these forums in the kerbal world, but this animation is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Luneshot posted:

I hope we have an orange-suited female trio like Bill, Jeb, and Bob and one of them is named Sally.

Piper Kerman is famous for wearing an orange suit.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That Gif is amazing ^

Edit: the misandry one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BombermanX posted:

I don't know what horrible bullshit is going on outside these forums in the kerbal world, but this animation is amazing.

http://vimeo.com/64941331

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
^ Was going to link it, but you beat me to it. :argh:
Still, the description is gold, and fits perfectly for the manbabies throwing a tantrum over female kerbals.

quote:

A quick vid about just the worst dudes and just the worst culture.

Comments closed b/c of the worst dudes and the worst culture.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

illectro posted:

Piper Kerman is famous for wearing an orange suit.

:golfclap: I'm glad I'm not the only one who kept thinking that.

N/r: my sister is going to be an extra in the next season :dance:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Nth Doctor posted:

:golfclap: I'm glad I'm not the only one who kept thinking that.

N/r: my sister is going to be an extra in the next season :dance:

My headcanon is still that jeb/bill/bob are prisoners used for testing highly unstable rockets, hence why they're always the first ones each career :v:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Ugh. Sent Jeb to the Mun, but blew way over my fuel budget on the way out because I didn't realize the level 1 tracking center wouldn't show SoI changes. I spent a huge amount of fuel adjusting the location of my apoapsis to try and get the encounter marker to show up. Eventually gave up, flew out to apoapsis anyways, and realized I was actually not just going to encounter the Mun, but I was basically on a direct course straight through its center. Suicide burning my entire remaining fuel load bought me a manageable 30 m/s landing that destroyed the engine but otherwise left everything intact.

I used the contract money from landing to upgrade the tracking center and then launched a rescue mission that used basically the same rocket, with the science experiments stripped and a probe core to fly an empty crew capsule out there. Landed it next to Jeb with more than enough dV to return him to home. Switched to Jeb's lander, had him EVA, and as he jumped down to the surface to walk across to the rescue vehicle...the kraken ate everything. The entire screen went black, and I couldn't even return to the space center. Restarted the game, and where I previously had 2 landers and Jeb there was now a slew of debris on an escape trajectory from Kerbin. Even the flag.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Ugh. Sent Jeb to the Mun, but blew way over my fuel budget on the way out because I didn't realize the level 1 tracking center wouldn't show SoI changes. I spent a huge amount of fuel adjusting the location of my apoapsis to try and get the encounter marker to show up. Eventually gave up, flew out to apoapsis anyways, and realized I was actually not just going to encounter the Mun, but I was basically on a direct course straight through its center. Suicide burning my entire remaining fuel load bought me a manageable 30 m/s landing that destroyed the engine but otherwise left everything intact.

I used the contract money from landing to upgrade the tracking center and then launched a rescue mission that used basically the same rocket, with the science experiments stripped and a probe core to fly an empty crew capsule out there. Landed it next to Jeb with more than enough dV to return him to home. Switched to Jeb's lander, had him EVA, and as he jumped down to the surface to walk across to the rescue vehicle...the kraken ate everything. The entire screen went black, and I couldn't even return to the space center. Restarted the game, and where I previously had 2 landers and Jeb there was now a slew of debris on an escape trajectory from Kerbin. Even the flag.

Something something, Final Destination. You can run from death, but there is no escape.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
I don't have screenshots, but before I figured out how to unlock maneuver nodes in Career I winged a mission to explore the Mun, landed, satisfied my contract requirements, and burned back to Kerbin with literally less than 0.3 units of fuel in the tanks. Easily my closest shave ever!

And after an hour of trying to fulfill a satellite contract last night, I went and upgraded the building to get maneuver nodes and it was so ridiculously easy I could have hit myself. You never know how much you need these things till they're gone.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah that'll happen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What exactly were you trying to do there?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Be cool to his forum pals.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cubey posted:

Decided to fiddle with spaceplanes and uh...well now I see why people bitch about aerodynamics in this game, christ :negative:

Guess it's time to suck it up and install FAR.

I personally prefer NEAR. You get all the sensible aerodynamic fixes and none of the :spergin:.

Here's a copy paste of the differences:

quote:

What it does that is similar to FAR:
  • Drag is based on shape and orientation
  • Body lift from parts
  • Infiniglide wings are gone, and now follow a velocity proportionality like they should.
  • Payload fairings and cargo bays function properly
  • Vehicle stability does need to be considered when building rockets and planes

What it doesn't do, that FAR does:
  • Changes in physics with Mach number
  • Complicated changes in wing lift and drag due to other parts around them
  • Aerodynamic dis-assembly (though they can still be broken off if they overload the stock joints)
  • Complicated aerodynamic analysis tools in the editor

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Met posted:

I personally prefer NEAR. You get all the sensible aerodynamic fixes and none of the :spergin:.

quote:

What it does that is similar to FAR:
Drag is based on shape and orientation
Body lift from parts
Infiniglide wings are gone, and now follow a velocity proportionality like they should.
Payload fairings and cargo bays function properly
Vehicle stability does need to be considered when building rockets and planes

Changes in physics with Mach number
Complicated changes in wing lift and drag due to other parts around them
Aerodynamic dis-assembly (though they can still be broken off if they overload the stock joints)
Complicated aerodynamic analysis tools in the editor
Here's a copy paste of the differences:

Here's the important things:

quote:

Changes in physics with Mach number
negligible and if your plane is well designed you probably won't notice

• Complicated changes in wing lift and drag due to other parts around them
this is actually good

Aerodynamic dis-assembly (though they can still be broken off if they overload the stock joints)
can be toned down or turned off (and is actually fun to have, surprisingly - mine is at 50% of the stock values and it adds a bit more suspense because you have to make better designs. still, if you want, can be turned off)

Complicated aerodynamic analysis tools in the editor
this is actually good? it makes it very easy to know if your plane will fly well or not. simply press a button and see if things are green (= good) instead of red (= bad)

FAR sounds way more scary than it actually is. I used to use NEAR and was terrified of FAR, but the transition is super smooth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I used FAR before switching to NEAR. I didn't find it particularly fun to guess and check every design and still have things break up by random chance one time after working flawlessly in the same situation before. I look for other challenges in my gameplay than an unforgiving aerodynamic model. I just want something that's more sensible than stock.

That's the difference between NEAR and FAR to me. It doesn't bother me if someone prefers FAR, I'm just presenting all the options available.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 27, 2015

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'm just presenting my point of view. In my experience I've never had any issue if everything was green on my aero analysis and I didn't do any crazy maneuvers (of course planes will be torn apart if you pitch up 90º after having lots of horizontal momentum)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've never had a plane, space or otherwise, break apart without hitting the ground. Most crashes are due to spinning out of control then hitting the ground and I'm not exactly gentle with the controls so what are you even doing to those poor planes, guy

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You two are a little defensive of FAR there. Offering an alternative aerodynamic model doesn't need to be met with, "What are you doing wrong that you can't handle FAR?"

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I had a rocket snap in two with FAR because it was going 700m/s at about 8km and I tried to turn it over.

It was pretty excellent.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Met posted:

You two are a little defensive of FAR there. Offering an alternative aerodynamic model doesn't need to be met with, "What are you doing wrong that you can't handle FAR?"

They're not defending FAR, they're attacking your piloting. :colbert:

I haven't used NEAR but I will agree with them that the scariness of FAR is overhyped. Use whatever you want, of course.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is really cool, the logistics of the various engines and lander assemblies make my brain hurt just to even figure out where to begin. How long did this take to plan?

A couple of months, starting out with the Jool 5 section and then Eve lander. The rest of the landings were a lot easier, I was surprised how many bodies just need a FLT-100 (plus a smidge more fuel) and a 48-7s to land on them!

Regarding the slingshots, for Moho I used Arrowstar's KSPTOT: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36476-WIN-MAC-KSP-Trajectory-Optimization-Tool-v1-1-9-Many-New-Features! to work out when to do the Eve transfers and then worked out the rest as I flew them. Using Moho to lower your Solar AP if you mess them up can really save your rear end.

For the Eeloo, Jool and Dres slingshots the trick is to look for Kerbin being in the right position with respect to Eve on it's DN, which happens every few orbits or so. This gives you the Eve/Kerbin boost, after that it's a question of seeing if the following Kerbin encounter is close to your target transfer window, or Kerbin/Duna for another boost. The Eeloo trip isn't the lowest I've seen either, Plad (who has also written a tool to work this out) in the forums knocked a couple of hundred off this at least.

To be honest unless you need to send a huge ship to Jool or Eeloo the time it takes to work these out is probably not worth the fuel savings, unless you are playing extra hard career mode.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Met posted:

When did I say that?

I'm just trying to show my side of the discussion.

Ironically you seem to be on the defensive.

It's okay, buddy, nobody's going to judge you by the mods you use. unless it's made by flowerchild

we'll still judge you for your bad piloting, though

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nice

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Met posted:

I think it's more along the lines that FAR gets a bad reputation from players who haven't tried it. I used to think it was hard and scary, and post that it was hard and scary, but when I actually tried it it made the game much less arcane and wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought.

I would highly recommend it, and I'll be interested to see the differences when 1.0 comes out.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
FAR (maybe NEAR too?) also has the benefit of making getting to orbit much easier due to the lower dV needs, which can lead to some interesting stage designs.

It's probably too complex for most people, but stock should address that once the release hits and there will likely be an updated FAR for the rest of us.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Can someone explain why someone would want to use FAR? I was able to fly the very first plane I designed without any trouble and shaving a few dv off of launches doesn't seem worth the trade off of having to shield everything you launch with fairings and being super precise with gravity turns. I kind of like just shooting dumb hunks of poo poo into space. Is the big appeal of FAR that it adds design challenge for people who are bored with stock or for people who want the most realisms? Because it doesn't seem like a fun addition to the game or a QoL improvement to me but I'm totally open to being wrong about that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a little of both. Stock aerodynamics is extremely unrealistic in a lot of ways, to the point that a plane designed to work in KSP probably wouldn't work in real life and vice versa. FAR goes a long way towards unifying them and making the design process and its goals more like reality at the cost of making the hilariously clumsy monstrosities a lot of players would rather build unworkable. I don't use it myself but I can definitely see the appeal.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Can someone explain why someone would want to use FAR? I was able to fly the very first plane I designed without any trouble and shaving a few dv off of launches doesn't seem worth the trade off of having to shield everything you launch with fairings and being super precise with gravity turns. I kind of like just shooting dumb hunks of poo poo into space. Is the big appeal of FAR that it adds design challenge for people who are bored with stock or for people who want the most realisms? Because it doesn't seem like a fun addition to the game or a QoL improvement to me but I'm totally open to being wrong about that.

The biggest problem with stock aero is that it's unintuitive as poo poo and people have to unlearn common sense to build an efficient rocket. Expecting people with no aerospace knowledge to know about stability and stalling and lifting bodies is a bit much but all FAR really requires you to know is "make it look like a rocket" and "don't turn too quickly" and you can safely ignore everything else that goes on until you start building planes. NEAR ultimately does the same thing when it comes to rockets.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 27, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Because I know how aeroplanes work, but a logical one built in KSP with stock aerodynamics doesn't really work well. I disabled the breaking up from stress bit because that poo poo is dumb, but otherwise flying an aircraft has been way more intuitive and making one that can fly well doesn't require crazy amounts of wings and flaps. Actually even with a lot of wings and control surfaces, planes still don't fly 'well' stock, they just fly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

300 kilograms is still not light enough for one parachute to land on Duna without bouncing and falling over (but it is light enough for the Okto core to torque upright).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

300 kilograms is still not light enough for one parachute to land on Duna without bouncing and falling over (but it is light enough for the Okto core to torque upright).

I like this lander

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Car metaphor: The debate of FAR/NEAR versus stock is a lot like car games and manual/auto (at least if you're in the US). Automatic players will talk all day long about how they actually drive faster with auto, and they can appreciate car feel just fine with auto, and why are these asshats insisting on manual transmission when it drives people away from the game. Manual people shake their head into their facepalm and try to humor those delusions. Eventually the auto person dedicates some time to making the switch, and generally results in someone going "oooooh, so THAT'S what I was missing, gotcha".

KSP doesn't have to have aero as detail as FAR, but it needs to get better. Stock aero is so dumb, stuff that should work doesn't (space shuttle), and stuff that shouldn't work does (suddenly flipping 90 degrees over going mach 3). If stock aero can get good enough to make planes fly well enough that I as a flight sim fan don't feel completely disconnected from my craft, I'll quit complaining. Right now that is not the case.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Acquire Currency! posted:

I like this lander

Seriously. My probe landers are way too big, apparently.

E: I prefer NEAR but I actually don't have a logical reason for it. I think it's because I was bad at aerodynamics when I used FAR (probably because I was also using DE), but I did better like three months later when I reinstalled KSP with NEAR. I think the only thing to really be concerned about are mach effects, but I can't even remember how much of an issue that is.

E2: This weird picture is like my smallest unmanned lander over Minmus:

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 27, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

haveblue posted:

Apparently we think alike!

(was supposed to be an Eve lander before I realized I forgot a parachute. Whoops)

Currently have two more in transit, one to Pol and one to Bop.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cubey posted:

Because I know how aeroplanes work, but a logical one built in KSP with stock aerodynamics doesn't really work well. I disabled the breaking up from stress bit because that poo poo is dumb, but otherwise flying an aircraft has been way more intuitive and making one that can fly well doesn't require crazy amounts of wings and flaps. Actually even with a lot of wings and control surfaces, planes still don't fly 'well' stock, they just fly.

Yeah, I don't know how airplanes work and I kind of don't care. Of course, I didn't get KSP as a lego flight sim so that's just preference. I've built a few planes and if they don't immediately shake apart or flip over on the runway they seem to work ok but maybe they could be way better? I guess I've just never run into those situations where I was all "ugh stupid aerodynamics gently caress kerbal forever" that seem to plague some people, especially over at the official forums.

revdrkevind posted:

:iiaca: "oooooh, so THAT'S what I was missing, gotcha".

You're probably right, which is kind of why I was asking. I'm curious to see how Squad changes the aero profile in the 1.0 update - hopefully its not too rough on dummies like me who like to throw chunks of garbage into LKO with a bunch of strutted up orange tanks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'm curious to see how Squad changes the aero profile in the 1.0 update - hopefully its not too rough on dummies like me who like to throw chunks of garbage into LKO with a bunch of strutted up orange tanks.

Well the problem a lot of people have with the stock aero model is that planes are harder to fly than they should be. I really doubt that the new model could do anything but help people who want to get into aircraft, whether they know how they work or not. Even FAR is easier to build a good plane in, and whatever Squad's plan is surely won't involve making it as punishing as FAR is.

That said, I'm not sold on FAR yet, mostly because of what it is doing to my rockets. I might just bin it and wait for Squad to update the aero instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like paying lots of attention to the design of your planes, it allows you to make things that work incredibly well compared to stock KSP.

It also fixes some silly things that the stock aerodynamics model lets you do that can be a bit exploity/irritating when you don't want your plane to do that.

It also makes flying stuff generally more interesting in the sense that there is a lot more to take into account. As well as making things that look like good planes/rockets actually work better, which again stock KSP doesn't.

That said, I use NEAR because it does most of that without modeling the weirdness that is transonic flight.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 27, 2015