Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remembered the story being pretty interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/f-16-pilot-was-ready-to-give-her-life-on-sept-11/2011/09/06/gIQAMpcODK_story.html

So the female pilot's dad flew for United at the time and could have been one of the pilots on flight 93 too, yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but how hosed is hosed? I mean "impacts the global food supply" can mean a whole slew of things. Does this mean lovely crops for 10 years and famine in 3rd world countries that are heavily import dependent? Does it mean catastrophically bad crops and famine in major producers, including first world nations? Does it mean a complete breakdown in our ability to feed ourselves as a species and massive die off complete with the collapse of modern society as we understand it? Does it mean an extinction-level event at least as far as Homo Sapiens Sapiens is concerned?

It is a major effect, and could kill billions even as a relatively controlled "limited scale" war. The main effect depends a lot where, when and how the nukes are used, but especially nuking cities will be really crappy thing for climate. Current cities are so huge and so full of burning material that they will shoot the black carbon (soot) to stratosphere where it will stay to block sunlight (and kill ozone as an added bonus!).

I just found from Robock's group an another good (and more general) article on the subject : http://thebulletin.org/2012/september/self-assured-destruction-climate-impacts-nuclear-war

It is, however, not open-access, so I will need to cut some key pieces from it:

quote:

Modern climate models not only show that the nuclear winter theory is correct, but also that the effects would last for more than a decade (Robock et al., 2007a, 2007b) because of an unexpected phenomenon: Smoke would rise to very high altitudes—near 40 kilometers (25 miles)—where it would be protected from rain and would take more than a decade to clear completely... a full-scale nuclear conflict, in which 150 million tons of smoke are lofted into the upper atmosphere, would drastically reduce precipitation by 45 percent on a global average, while temperatures would fall for several years by 7 to 8 degrees Celsius on average and would remain depressed by 4 degrees Celsius after a decade (Robock et al., 2007a). Humans have not experienced temperatures this low since the last ice age (Figure 2). In important grain-growing regions of the northern mid-latitudes, precipitation would decline by up to 90 percent, and temperatures would fall below freezing and remain there for one or more years.

(C)onsider a nuclear war in South Asia involving the use of 100 Hiroshima-size weapons ... surface temperatures fall and precipitation declines .. calculated results show a 10 percent global drop in precipitation, with the largest losses in the low latitudes due to failure of the monsoons...which would threaten a significant fraction of the world’s food supply, perhaps jeopardizing a billion people who are now only marginally fed as it is ... reductions of soybean and corn production in the US Midwest, and of rice production in China, of 20 percent for several years and 10 percent even after a decade

(N)uclear weapon states capable of deploying about 100 weapons globally could cause as many fatalities through the direct effects of the explosions as the Soviet Union was once forecast to be capable of inflicting on the United States during a full counterforce war. Hence, each of the nuclear weapon states except North Korea, which only has about 10 weapons, must be considered as dangerous as the Cold War adversaries of the previous century, as soon as they develop long-range missiles.

The last point is due to increased city population and delivery methods.

(and they end their discussion with need for further research :) )

and the scary figure:

Letmebefrank fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 26, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Well, my first question is probably Atmosphere Science 101 - what is lofting? Before I read that paper you posted, I thought ash was only getting into the stratosphere thanks to large fires or nuclear blasts. Evidently, it isn't - that paper has ash in the upper troposphere drifting into the stratosphere. I can understand why extremely fine stuff in the stratosphere persists for a long time - no weather like rain to wash it out - but why does this fine ash stay up there so long?

Question #2: I see that volcanic eruptions in recent history are quite useful events, as you can see if your models fit the historical record involving big dirty clouds of stuff. My question is what the difference is between volcanic activity in the stratosphere, and the fine ash of dead civilizations?

#3: (This one is a shot in the dark) Has anybody looked for historical events producing these clouds of ash in the stratosphere? I've mentioned World War 2 being a likely candidate, but for all I know Australian wildfires are much more useful. In retrospect, I ask this because these models look to calibration to stuff like volcanoes, but then explicitly say volcanic ash and nuclear winter ash are very unlike each other. I guess I'm wondering how good the empirical evidence is for the nuclear winter effect, and if there is real world data to correlate with the sims.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know that the Minuteman III Missiles were modded to a single warhead as part of Start II. When Start II never happened why did the US not go to return the MIRVed warheads to the Minuteman III and choose to keep them solely with the US Navy and the Tridents? I mean I understand they couldn't put the Peacekeepers back after being deactivated, but why not return at least some of the Minuteman III to having a mirv configuration?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That's neat. I think one of the reasons for confusion over all of this is that, to my mind at least, it seems like the entire concept of "nuclear winter" got somewhat oversold in the past. When I learned about it as a kid I remember it being taught as this civilization ending phenomenon that would kill all plant life and render the world unfit for human habitation, or at least human civilization; the best case was a kind of Fallout/Mad Max post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland of scavenging the ruins of dead civilizations for Twinkies and cans of beans. It wasn't something that would gently caress up crops and lead to famines, it was something that would alter the ecosystem the same as the asteroid impact that hosed up the dinosaurs.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's neat. I think one of the reasons for confusion over all of this is that, to my mind at least, it seems like the entire concept of "nuclear winter" got somewhat oversold in the past. When I learned about it as a kid I remember it being taught as this civilization ending phenomenon that would kill all plant life and render the world unfit for human habitation, or at least human civilization; the best case was a kind of Fallout/Mad Max post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland of scavenging the ruins of dead civilizations for Twinkies and cans of beans. It wasn't something that would gently caress up crops and lead to famines, it was something that would alter the ecosystem the same as the asteroid impact that hosed up the dinosaurs.

Well according to the graph posted above from the recent atudy, "US-Russia War" is still about double what you'd need to send the world into another Ice Age, so (given the context of the time) that characterization sounds fairly accurate to me.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hubis posted:

Well according to the graph posted above from the recent atudy, "US-Russia War" is still about double what you'd need to send the world into another Ice Age, so (given the context of the time) that characterization sounds fairly accurate to me.

Accept there is arguably a far greater ability to cope with another ice age, by use of technology. Also to an extent wouldn't some areas by way of the temp drop now become possible for crops to grow in that you couldn't before?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Accept there is arguably a far greater ability to cope with another ice age, by use of technology. Also to an extent wouldn't some areas by way of the temp drop now become possible for crops to grow in that you couldn't before?

You can't just rush to set up modern agriculture in an area ready to go in a few months, nor would it be profitable to do so for just a year or two, so it wouldn't happen.

What would happen is that lots and lots of people in the developing world would die of starvation and likely follow-on wars over water resources.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
I try to answer for you. To make sure: I am not a meteorologist, but aerosol microphysicist with some experience with climate model studies. Happy to know if I am wrong..

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, my first question is probably Atmosphere Science 101 - what is lofting? Before I read that paper you posted, I thought ash was only getting into the stratosphere thanks to large fires or nuclear blasts. Evidently, it isn't - that paper has ash in the upper troposphere drifting into the stratosphere. I can understand why extremely fine stuff in the stratosphere persists for a long time - no weather like rain to wash it out - but why does this fine ash stay up there so long?

This is (in the context they use in here) is not really 101 stuff: Usually lofting in general is used in context where e.g. smokestack pushes smoke above near ground turbulence to stable above layers. In this case, they mean (I think!) situation where the some is pushed by fires to high troposphere, where it absorbs more solar light. This absorbtion warms the air - which raises higher and ... pushes the smoke to (very, very!) stable stratosphere.

(Sidetrack BTW: Interesting issue is that their model to my knowledge does not specifically take into account ozone loss chemistry (tricky and resource intensive..). This means that the ozone loss is just mentioned in the articles, not done interactively in the simulations. This in turn is very interesting as ozone is one of the main reasons for tropopause inversion - which makes the stuff so bloody stable there in the first place. What does this ozone loss affect the stability in lower stratosphere? Who knows? This is exactly kind of stuff I find very interesting...)

Nebakenezzer posted:

Question #2: I see that volcanic eruptions in recent history are quite useful events, as you can see if your models fit the historical record involving big dirty clouds of stuff. My question is what the difference is between volcanic activity in the stratosphere, and the fine ash of dead civilizations?

Big difference is particle size, composition and attached gasses and vapours. Volcanoes push a lot of ash - quite different from soot from burning. Volcanic ash looks like this: (big http://imgur.com/JGAZOLY ) and soot agglomerates like this: http://imgur.com/6p8TT4H . Ash is thus basically small dirty glass particles, but still very large (about 1 micrometer diameter) in aerosol world. They are also usually whitish in colour. Soot (typical product from unclean burning of e.g. wood, buildings, rubber and people) is instead black, consisting of unburned carbon and a lot of condensed complex organic crap. Typical size around 100 nanometers, and they absorb light a lot.

Light volcanic ash is a poor absorber, does mainly scatter light to space (cooling) but does not actually warm the stratosphere. They are less efficient in blocking solar light (per mass) than soot particles and are removed quicker from the stratosphere (as they are larger).

Soot warms the stratosphere - making it even more stable and blocks very efficiently light from the sun. Small soot particles have very slow removal processes - mostly veeeery slow gravitational settling - aerodynamic drag for 0.1 micrometer particles is a bitch.

Additional complexity is that volcanoes co-emit a lot of sulphur dioxide (gas) which is then pushed together with the ash to stratosphere: It oxidizes there to sulphuric acid which in turn make more particles, which scatter more light - making the differences between the two things less clear than given from above.

Nebakenezzer posted:

#3: (This one is a shot in the dark) Has anybody looked for historical events producing these clouds of ash in the stratosphere? I've mentioned World War 2 being a likely candidate, but for all I know Australian wildfires are much more useful. In retrospect, I ask this because these models look to calibration to stuff like volcanoes, but then explicitly say volcanic ash and nuclear winter ash are very unlike each other. I guess I'm wondering how good the empirical evidence is for the nuclear winter effect, and if there is real world data to correlate with the sims.

Not to my knowledge, as I actually had a proposal for that exact study... and it did not get funded (in last year's call). I would be surprised if no-one tries this though as WW2 was a time when the climate was actually cooling: Aerosols are the best bet for this, but there is very little good data on the subject and no real studies done. Or at least I do not know about them - which would then explain why I did not get funded...

Letmebefrank fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 26, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Thanks to a certain benefactor (let me know if you want credit) I got to visit Ågesta nuclear power plant today. It was the first commercial nuclear reactor in Sweden and was (commercially) active 1964-1974. During those years it was used to produce the only few kilograms of plutonium that was ever produced for the aborted Swedish nuclear weapons program. It's technically a civilian plant, but it's cold war as gently caress.

Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/L1oZq

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

You can't just rush to set up modern agriculture in an area ready to go in a few months, nor would it be profitable to do so for just a year or two, so it wouldn't happen.

What would happen is that lots and lots of people in the developing world would die of starvation and likely follow-on wars over water resources.

But if government funded or not setup with any initial profitability goal, it could work though, right? I'm not saying right away, but in a year or so.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

That seems like a really bad (yet awesome) idea.

Why would you do this? Emergency pickup or something?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gfanikf posted:

But if government funded or not setup with any initial profitability goal, it could work though, right? I'm not saying right away, but in a year or so.

No. There's nothing you can do about the growing regions for the staple food of a couple of billion people suddenly becoming infertile other than acting incredibly aggressively to secure your own food resources and hoping for the best.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

No. There's nothing you can do about the growing regions for the staple food of a couple of billion people suddenly becoming infertile other than acting incredibly aggressively to secure your own food resources and hoping for the best.

So yeah developing world screwed, but what about developed nations? You imply there is some potential in terms of aggressive food resources protection, acquisition, or production.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Was there anything to support the idea that in a full-blown WW3 nuclear exchange (60s-80s) that neutral non-combatant countries would also be deliberately hit as a general "screw you to buddy we're taking you with us" and to keep the playing field even ?

I'm thinking of places like Jakarta, Lagos, Dublin etc

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Hauldren Collider posted:

At some point during Iraq/Afghanistan someone realized that an Apache is both faster than other choppers and has it's own guns and rockets for self protection. So for absolute OOOOOH poo poo scenarios they rigged up some mounts to lift people out on them.

Definitely not standard operating procedure though and I think it only happened for real a few times. Wounded guy goes in the gunner seat, gunner gets to ride the side for the trip of a lifetime in which he probably has no hearing afterwards.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 26, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Also if one Apache is forced down in enemy territory, his wingman can potentially rescue both crewmembers, without delaying to wait for separate rescue team.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A greek F-16 has crashed during take-off in a Nato exercise in Spain, hitting parked planes and killing ten.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/26/spain-f16-fighter-jet-crash-albacete

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

They've been used for emergency pickups going back to Vietnam with the Cobra. A great modern example is told in Apache Pilot if you want to read more.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I'll be visiting Las Vegas at the end of February and I'd pretty much die to get into the Petting Zoo at Nellis.

I know the thing itself is open to the public Mon/Fri, but I have no way to get on base. I have a dbids card for Buckley, but I'm sure those are issued for individual bases.

Any suggestions? Anyone know a guy that knows a guy?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Alaan posted:

At some point during Iraq/Afghanistan someone realized that an Apache is both faster than other choppers and has it's own guns and rockets for self protection. So for absolute OOOOOH poo poo scenarios they rigged up some mounts to lift people out on them.

Definitely not standard operating procedure though and I think it only happened for real a few times. Wounded guy goes in the gunner seat, gunner gets to ride the side for the trip of a lifetime in which he probably has no hearing afterwards.

They don't have earpro?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

They don't have earpro?

Earpro, yes.
Enough earpro, maybe not.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

They don't have earpro?

There is only so much foamies and a flight helmet can do about sitting literally two feet from a running helicopter engine.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Video title: "[HD] F-16 90% or above throttle"

ground test of F-16 engine

Sound warning
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d9f_1422091862

edit:

same but indoors on F-22
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a68_1360455988

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 27, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Baconroll posted:

Was there anything to support the idea that in a full-blown WW3 nuclear exchange (60s-80s) that neutral non-combatant countries would also be deliberately hit as a general "screw you to buddy we're taking you with us" and to keep the playing field even ?

I'm thinking of places like Jakarta, Lagos, Dublin etc

An otherwise 'neutral' target wouldn't be hit unless it could be of some strategic use to an enemy. Jakarta's got a very large port that could be (and would be) requisitioned for military purposes after their main ports have been destroyed. Lagos and Dublin, less so. It's hard to imagine a single strategic target in Africa other than the Suez Canal and Diego Garcia, which is still considered 'Africa' since they made a stink about nukes being stored there violating the Pelindaba Treaty.

And lastly, in a 'full-blown WW3 nuclear exchange,' the people who aren't vaporized are the unlucky ones, so it'd be less of a 'screw you too, buddy' as it would be mercy-killing if any spare warheads found their way into population centers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 27, 2015

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Ocean Hellfires
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=74d_1422222939

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

It's missing "Somalian Pirates, We" being played over it.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
cringeworthy UXO fuckery
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b10_1422102621

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

An otherwise 'neutral' target wouldn't be hit unless it could be of some strategic use to an enemy. Jakarta's got a very large port that could be (and would be) requisitioned for military purposes after their main ports have been destroyed. Lagos and Dublin, less so. It's hard to imagine a single strategic target in Africa other than the Suez Canal and Diego Garcia, which is still considered 'Africa' since they made a stink about nukes being stored there violating the Pelindaba Treaty.

And lastly, in a 'full-blown WW3 nuclear exchange,' the people who aren't vaporized are the unlucky ones, so it'd be less of a 'screw you too, buddy' as it would be mercy-killing if any spare warheads found their way into population centers.

Wouldn't it be possible that the continent of Africa could get some more land that would be farmable in the aftermath of a global nuclear war? I mean since it would cool down by quite a lot.
(I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to how the climate works so apologies if this made anyone want to blow their brains out)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Greggster posted:

Wouldn't it be possible that the continent of Africa could get some more land that would be farmable in the aftermath of a global nuclear war? I mean since it would cool down by quite a lot.
(I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to how the climate works so apologies if this made anyone want to blow their brains out)

Unless radiation works like we thought it did in 50s sci-fi movies and magically reverses desertification, no. Much of the un-arable land in Africa is that way due to factors other than climate.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Letmebefrank posted:

I try to answer for you.

Thanks for the reply! When you have no background in this stuff, it is difficult to find answers to your questions.

TheFluff posted:

Thanks to a certain benefactor (let me know if you want credit) I got to visit Ågesta nuclear power plant today. It was the first commercial nuclear reactor in Sweden and was (commercially) active 1964-1974. During those years it was used to produce the only few kilograms of plutonium that was ever produced for the aborted Swedish nuclear weapons program. It's technically a civilian plant, but it's cold war as gently caress.

Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/L1oZq

It is very impressive! Am I imagining things, or is this thing entirely underground to boot?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

gfanikf posted:

"I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair a little mussed..."

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nebakenezzer posted:

It is very impressive! Am I imagining things, or is this thing entirely underground to boot?
The turbine hall is in an external building, but yes, the control room and reactor hall are both underneath a mountain. This is, after all, 1960's Sweden we're talking about. Everything that could be built underground was.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Disappointed this didn't end with the video very unexpectedly cutting out.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Found this on DID a few days ago, a pretty good rundown of the PLAN and its plans. Not overly technical, so a good read for anyone interested in reading about shooting missiles or flying planes off boats, including their future plans for carrier groups.

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL33153.pdf

Also, China just purchased 6 battalions of S-400s. That, IIRC, would give them capability to shoot over the entire Taiwanese mainland instead of the fraction the S-300s could reach.

http://wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20150127000074&cid=1101

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 28, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mazz posted:

Also, China just purchased 6 battalions of S-400s. That, IIRC, would give them capability to shoot over the entire Taiwanese mainland instead of the fraction the S-300s could reach.

http://wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20150127000074&cid=1101

Yeah, there were pretty credible reports announcing a deal got inked last Spring, so this would seem to be them actually paying money and/or physically receiving the weapons.

Either way I'm sure it's kept some PACOM planners up at night ever since the sale was announced. Something worth mentioning is that if deployed further to the north on the mainland they've got the range to reach out over the Senkakus.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
China is going to be a serious problem in the 2030s.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Godholio posted:

China is going to be a serious problem in the 2030s.

Assuming they don't succumb to numerous crippling environmental, social or economic problems first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Assuming they don't succumb to numerous crippling environmental, social or economic problems first

Either way we should spend more money on aircraft carriers obviously.