Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

UNC and Wake are playing a home-and-home in '19/'21 as non-conference games.
That is... puzzling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Basil Hayden posted:

That is... puzzling.
It's a pretty cool idea for rivals separated by divisons, relegated to only playing once or twice a decade by expansion, to just schedule a game because your fans want it. I'm just surprised it's being applied to UNC/Wake football. Would love to see Auburn do it with Florida or Tennessee, which used to be serious rivals in the pre-SECCG era.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

FSU's idiot brigade is going to make this week really depressing. :smith:

I hope she stays off the internet for a while.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It's a pretty cool idea for rivals separated by divisons, relegated to only playing once or twice a decade by expansion, to just schedule a game because your fans want it. I'm just surprised it's being applied to UNC/Wake football. Would love to see Auburn do it with Florida or Tennessee, which used to be serious rivals in the pre-SECCG era.

Yeah, the ACC and MAC seem to have teams in different divisions that almost never play each other. BG played Ball State this year for the first time in like 6 years. They haven't played NIU in the regular season in a long while either.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

Yeah, the ACC and MAC seem to have teams in different divisions that almost never play each other. BG played Ball State this year for the first time in like 6 years. They haven't played NIU in the regular season in a long while either.
SEC's the same way now. Auburn's next games against Florida are 2019 in Gainesville with the return trip in 2024. They last played in 2011.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

quote:

I don't know what happened, but I won't lie, I am suspicious of any girl who would align herself with an all female clique deemed the "FSU Cleat Chasers" who then ironically is involved in a rape case with an FSU athlete...

quote:

Maybe some of you should do a little fact checking before becoming internet experts. There are four people who know the truth by being there, and that is Kinsman, Winston, Darby and Casher. So Darby and Casher risked their scholarships, freedom and everything to protect a freshman who hadn't played a down of football for FSU. Which criminals do you know who video their rape acts while in progress? Have you ever heard of someone videoing their sex acts for fun?

:cripes:

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

I think her name had been floating around for awhile on the sites that most of said idiots hang out. So she's probably gotten the worst of it already I'd imagine. Now it will just be the rest of America that gets in their two cents.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

UNC and Wake are playing a home-and-home in '19/'21 as non-conference games.

I mean if that makes them happy

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It's loving stupid and proof that if you're going to be a 14 team league you need a 9 game schedule so that every team sees the entire conference within a 5 year swing. It's appalling that this hasn't happened yet, the only reason the SEC gets away with it is because of "LOOK HOW GREAT WE ARE". The ACC doesn't have that. Bolster your actual SOS with more conference games. 3 OOC games is enough.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's loving stupid and proof that if you're going to be a 14 team league you need a 9 game schedule so that every team sees the entire conference within a 5 year swing. It's appalling that this hasn't happened yet, the only reason the SEC gets away with it is because of "LOOK HOW GREAT WE ARE". The ACC doesn't have that. Bolster your actual SOS with more conference games. 3 OOC games is enough.

This is some grade a troof.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

People need to keep posting this until it is reality: https://theroommateswitch.wordpress.com/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
E: ^^^^^ This is the best option.

Three ooc games would be an issue for Clemson and South Carolina. They're both required by state law to play another, smaller school from South Carolina every year. If either of their conferences moved to a 9-game schedule, they would in effect only get a choice of one game per year between the cross-conference rivalry and the mandated in-state FCS matchup.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

SEC's the same way now. Auburn's next games against Florida are 2019 in Gainesville with the return trip in 2024. They last played in 2011.

This sucks because the game I want to see most is Muschamp@Auburn vs the Humane Society

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ACoolT5 posted:

People need to keep posting this until it is reality: https://theroommateswitch.wordpress.com/

This is a decent solution. 9 games with the standard 2 divisions feels fine though 6-3 division/non.

Pakled: My response is, So? If you have to kill 1 game a year with instate FCS so be it, but that's a wasted game anyway. It should be a better game. That's not really a fair reason to stick with a trash schedule. You should have 2 OOC games to play with given you have to play an instate rival. 1 chump team, and a mediocre P5 or quality G5 team. I just don't think that should matter when you look at the league as a whole, your ADs would figure it out.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 26, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ACoolT5 posted:

Pods are the stupidest thing. Just go to 9 games.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I didn't read any of any of these posts but I do agree that the MAC is the best

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

Pods are the stupidest thing. Just go to 9 games.

Even at 9 games it's impossible to host every team in the conference in 4 years with a traditional two divisions. I think playing everyone else in the conference home and away within a 4 year cycle is what everyone should aim for.

I'd still be game for a nine game schedule though.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Pakled posted:

E: ^^^^^ This is the best option.

Three ooc games would be an issue for Clemson and South Carolina. They're both required by state law to play another, smaller school from South Carolina every year. If either of their conferences moved to a 9-game schedule, they would in effect only get a choice of one game per year between the cross-conference rivalry and the mandated in-state FCS matchup.

No it would not. Until pretty recently everyone played 11 game schedules and 8 conference games. Going to 9 conference games would in fact be a kind of return to the norm. Using this argument against 9 conference game schedule is stupid.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pakled posted:

The state of South Carolina requires you to play one game against a local cupcake, something both South Carolina and Clemson would have done even if that law was not in effect. If the SEC went to a nine game conference schedule, that means that instead of the two to three cupcakes you play a year, you'd be down to one to two. Oh well!!!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Pakled posted:

Sorry your state legislature sucks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah surprise, playing a team from your conference instead of loving Southwestern Chattanooga State means you'll have a tougher schedule with fewer free wins. That's kind of the whole point, besides the added side benefit of actually playing all the teams in your conference more frequently than once a decade.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I don't know why fans accuse other fans of having soft schedules.

By-and-large fanbases loving hate cupcake games. They aren't much fun to attend or watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Part of the reason teams play those cupcakes beyond the easy win is that they are guranteed home games, and schools with popular football programs make a shitload of money from home games. Going to 9 conference games is likely going to mean fewer cool home and and home series between power conference teams, not fewer cupcake games.

In Iowa's case it probably means our only major conference OOC game every year is going to be Iowa State. Not that I care that much about playing Pitt or whatever, but it still kinda stinks.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LeeMajors posted:

By-and-large fanbases loving hate cupcake games. They aren't much fun to attend or watch.
I think everyone should by and large be fine with an OOC schedule consisting of 1 FCS team, 1 G5 team, and 1 or 2 P5 teams. The thing is that I think fans don't like the games themselves, but like the consequence of the games. It means that teams will, by and large, have fewer wins because the probability of beating a P5 team, even a bad one, is a lot lower than your probability of beating a G5 or FCS team. This makes fans upset, though with the way the playoffs work there is some margin for error, and it's probably way easier to bounce back from losing to a P5 team than it is to bounce back from losing to a perceived lesser team. And no, not all teams have soft schedules: look at USC's scheduling. This season their OOC was Notre Dame, Fresno State, and Boston College, which is a good group of games (and Fresno is not exactly the lightest and fluffiest of cupcakes). Glancing ahead at them, they've got a boring schedule next year, but in 2016 there's Alabama and Notre Dame. Losing to either of them won't really hurt their playoff prestige. Arizona, on the other hand, has horrendous scheduling and we haven't had a good OOC series since Iowa a few years back, though BYU appears in a few years (and that's a good rivalry to revive!).

The FCS games aren't going away, so you gotta live with them. The FCS teams won't stop scheduling them, the NCAA won't ban them, and some states mandate them. It also helps fund their athletic programs, so there's that. I just...don't want to see some juggernaut lining up against poor Presbyterian or Incarnate Word and destroying them, that kinda sucks. If you're a good FBS team, schedule decent FCS teams, guys. Yeah you couldwill lose to NDSU, but it's still better than scheduling some team that's going 1-10 in the FCS or something crappy like that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish everyone had to play one OOC game against every other P5 conference every year, randomly selected during some sort of insanely overhyped ESPN show. If you've got a rival in one of those conferences that you like to play every year, that team can count for that conference requirement.

I'd much rather lose two OOC games than watch Akron and Temple get their poo poo pushed in every year.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
This is all really just convenient talks to avoid watching a MAC school yet again upset half the dang Big Ten.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MAC is trash. Only Northwestern has a lovely record against them.

Even Purdue has won four times as many as they've lost, and Purdue has the most MAC losses

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As long as we avoid the Directional Michigans we're usually safe. At one point we were the only team to beat Ben Rothlisberger for like two years.

I'm not going to look it up but it feels like we have a way better record against Michigan and Michigan State under Ferentz than we do against Western.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
It's almost like....one is the underdog(g).....

It's also like one is fun to watch and the other is 2 good teams and a giant boatload of trash that are pretending they're relevant despite only being in the news for funny and or terrible things in recent memory

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Actually making it a rule that all P5 schools need to play an OOC P5 team and an OOC G5 team every year and they can do whatever the hell they want with their remaining OOC games (and the G5 requirement is waived if you have a 10-game conference slate I guess) would be kinda cool.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Part of the reason teams play those cupcakes beyond the easy win is that they are guranteed home games, and schools with popular football programs make a shitload of money from home games. Going to 9 conference games is likely going to mean fewer cool home and and home series between power conference teams, not fewer cupcake games.

In Iowa's case it probably means our only major conference OOC game every year is going to be Iowa State. Not that I care that much about playing Pitt or whatever, but it still kinda stinks.

Yeah, I get the appeal for the schools. But it's weird when people are bagging on UF's lovely OOC schedule and I have to be like "uhhh, yeah, I agree it's awful and lovely and I hate it."

It's just a weird thing to throw at other fans. I think all fans want good games and not awful FCS slogfests.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUAtU1Y2Hw

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

ACoolT5 posted:

I know UK is pretty low on the pecking order in football but I still feel like I should object to a proposed system that cuts us off from three of the four conference opponents we've played more than fifty games against.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Basil Hayden posted:

I know UK is pretty low on the pecking order in football but I still feel like I should object to a proposed system that cuts us off from three of the four conference opponents we've played more than fifty games against.

"Cuts you off" in the sense that you only play them every other year instead of every year.

Big whoop.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

LeeMajors posted:

Not trying to start a conference dickwaving thing, but I don't think this is really that true. I've seen a ton of SEC fans touting the company line about how FCS teams really want to be there and need the money and their legislature makes them and so on.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

Strobe posted:

"Cuts you off" in the sense that you only play them every other year instead of every year.

Big whoop.

Seriously. The whole point is that everyone plays everyone every two years.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
From the founding of the SEC until we went to divisions, Tennessee played Alabama, Kentucky, Vandy, and Ole Miss more than 50 times and Auburn more than 40. We played Georgia Tech 25 and Florida 18 and UGA 11. We played Duke 26 times.

Everyone in Knoxville has basically moved on from hating Ole Miss as a rival but we've picked up on UGA and Florida just fine. You get over it.

FunkyBean
Mar 17, 2011
Low on fat and calories so gonna go eat some peanut butter.
Yea, I think the best thing to do is to hate all the cousin fuckin fanbases you have to play.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yes this is really Bowden's FB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Crotch Bat posted:

Yes this is really Bowden's FB.

I'd be upset also that some kids cheating in an online music class cost me games and knowingly covering up child rape for years and years and years cost the other guy... um... well, a statue... for now...

At least Bobby can take comfort in the fact that he didn't die in utter misery with his legacy in burned ruins around him and the words "kiddy-loving enabler" permanently attached to him. That's a pretty big win IMO.

• Locked thread