Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is there a thread around for HealthKit compatible hardware or is it just passbook 2014 edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hughlander posted:

Is there a thread around for HealthKit compatible hardware or is it just passbook 2014 edition?

???

I use Passbook all the goddamn time.

It took a while to see adoption I guess, but at this point, it's super useful. I use it for movie tickets, to pay at starbucks, for concerts all over, whenever I fly, and for a handful of my more frequently used store loyalty cards.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

???

I use Passbook all the goddamn time.

It took a while to see adoption I guess, but at this point, it's super useful. I use it for movie tickets, to pay at starbucks, for concerts all over, whenever I fly, and for a handful of my more frequently used store loyalty cards.

Yeah I use it a few times a week. Boarding passes are handled PERFECTLY, as well. The whole thing is very "the future is now".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Yeah I use it a few times a week. Boarding passes are handled PERFECTLY, as well. The whole thing is very "the future is now".

Hell, not to mention that little thing called Apple Pay that uses Passbook as well. I use that all the time, and every time I feel like I'm in THE FUTURE.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

nPlayer question - I used to be able to watch live TV with nPlayer using my HDHomeRun via DLNA without any problems. Now the device immediately appears when I scan my network, same as before, but whenever I try to open a channel, it says "Service failure." and refuses to connect. I'll do this at the same time that I'm using Windows Media Center to watch TV on my PC from the HDHomeRun, so I know it works, but I want to watch it from another room on my phone and now I can't for some reason when I used to be able to? What gives?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

Hell, not to mention that little thing called Apple Pay that uses Passbook as well. I use that all the time, and every time I feel like I'm in THE FUTURE.

If you're in the UK and like coffee too much to go to Starbucks, Passbook is only useful for boarding passes. It's dead weight.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

nPlayer question - I used to be able to watch live TV with nPlayer using my HDHomeRun via DLNA without any problems. Now the device immediately appears when I scan my network, same as before, but whenever I try to open a channel, it says "Service failure." and refuses to connect. I'll do this at the same time that I'm using Windows Media Center to watch TV on my PC from the HDHomeRun, so I know it works, but I want to watch it from another room on my phone and now I can't for some reason when I used to be able to? What gives?
Maybe tuner conflict? For one of my Media Center machines I just have two of the three tuners assigned so there's always one free if I want to watch from my iPad. I'm not sure if you can watch a channel/stream on the same tuner as one already being used though...and for all I know something might've changed in HDHomeRun firmware for that. Plus you might as well ask the nPlayer devs and see if they know about it.

One more thing that might make this an unfortunate moot point though, something in the last version broke some WTV files for me, like they display completely wrong. At best the aspect ratio is a little tall, at worst half of the screen is cropped off. I told them about it with a sample file and they said it's fixed in the upcoming version, but it's been a while and it's still not out. Feel free to remind them about that if you email them.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You know when you go to the mall and connect to a wifi but then you have to go to the store's website to confirm? Is there an app that auto confirms or otherwise bypasses that step?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bigass Moth posted:

You know when you go to the mall and connect to a wifi but then you have to go to the store's website to confirm? Is there an app that auto confirms or otherwise bypasses that step?

I don't think so. Accounting for every variation in each company's landing page would be a nightmare.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I adore Accompli so very much. But I swear every time I go back to my springboard it has a badge with a number. (Let's say 5... But it varies.) I open up the app, and MAYBE have one (or none) new emails. I leave the app and the badge is gone. I come back a few min later to the app icon and there's a badge again... Anyone else?

[Edit] my icon had no badge, I just got ONE new email and the badge says 5.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Feenix posted:

I adore Accompli so very much. But I swear every time I go back to my springboard it has a badge with a number. (Let's say 5... But it varies.) I open up the app, and MAYBE have one (or none) new emails. I leave the app and the badge is gone. I come back a few min later to the app icon and there's a badge again... Anyone else?

[Edit] my icon had no badge, I just got ONE new email and the badge says 5.

Yep, I've found it fails to reflect emails I've read in the badge count. Open up the app and they're marked read.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

jot posted:

Yep, I've found it fails to reflect emails I've read in the badge count. Open up the app and they're marked read.

Obviously not the worst bug... Just annoying.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Acompli is definitely acting goofy tonight. I've experienced it being a hair behind in the badge total when I get a deluge of emails and I'm bouncing in and out of the app, but tonight I haven't gotten a new email in hours and it keeps pingponging between no badge (0, the correct value) and 17, a total it hit about nine hours ago.

Other than that, my only real quibble with it is it fails to sync my gmail drafts folder, so any draft saved in the desktop gmail site never shows up in Acompli. Drafts composed/saved in Acompli appear in the desktop gmail, though.

My company gives a microscopic poo poo about security, so I feel fine in continuing to use the app. Security is the only reason I wouldn't recommend it to everyone using an iPhone, but even for only personal gmail I wouldn't use mail.app or the gmail app over Acompli.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The security on Acompli is probably pretty good at this point -- I mean, Microsoft owns the company now, and you've got to think they're doing something right.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

The security on Acompli is probably pretty good at this point -- I mean, Microsoft owns the company now, and you've got to think they're doing something right.

That's not the issue. The issue is a third party handling your credentials to your corporate account. This is typically against most company's security policies. Additionally, if you handle any kind of company confidential, trade secrets, or government data with a security classification you probably have security policies in place that forbid this kind of thing. A lot of times this can open you up to dismissal and even civil or criminal proceedings.

When Acompli was first released, I had to dive into the Privacy Statement to see that they actually acted as a proxy for your email. Policy aside, I deal with pretty sensitive internal data so that made it a non-starter for me.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

That's not the issue. The issue is a third party handling your credentials to your corporate account. This is typically against most company's security policies. Additionally, if you handle any kind of company confidential, trade secrets, or government data with a security classification you probably have security policies in place that forbid this kind of thing. A lot of times this can open you up to dismissal and even civil or criminal proceedings.

When Acompli was first released, I had to dive into the Privacy Statement to see that they actually acted as a proxy for your email. Policy aside, I deal with pretty sensitive internal data so that made it a non-starter for me.

Sometimes I forget not everyone lives the same life as me. I work at a university and everything is done through Office365 (is this the new trend? Gmail/Outlook instead of self-hosted Exchange?) so it'd be handing off credentials from one Microsoft-owned property to another.

I've worked at universities my entire life, and I'm always blown away by people who have companies putting MDMs and all kinds of other poo poo on their phones.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Does Acompli sandbox from the personal email and calendar on iOS? I hated how my work account always commingled with personal accounts on my phone, so I actually got rid of the work stuff, but if I can basically have an app specifically for the work email and calendar then I'm in.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why is accompli better than mailbox?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why is accompli better than mailbox?

Mailbox only supports gmail and icloud correct? No exchange?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

What's a decent app for creating gifs from videos? Preferably something with an imgur uploader built in.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
So is there no way attach a file to an e-mail on iOS without a jailbroken app or am I just dumb?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LittleFuryThings posted:

So is there no way attach a file to an e-mail on iOS without a jailbroken app or am I just dumb?

Yes.

Use Mailbox for Dropbox links or Goodreader for raw files. I emailed a .mobi to my kindle yesterday with Goodreader (which doesn't read mobis), all done through the iPad.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

GoodReader is the most useful app.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Speaking of which. I was given a link to a cbz hosted on Dropbox. Is there any way from a pad to easily get it into chunky? I opened it in the embedded bowser of chunky and said download. Nothing visible happened. I linked chunky to my Dropbox but pasting the url to Dropbox was a find that failed. I went to add it to my Dropbox and was taken to the browser sign in for auth. Despite having just tasked switching from the iOS version. At that point I gave up trying to do it via iOS.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Speaking of which. I was given a link to a cbz hosted on Dropbox. Is there any way from a pad to easily get it into chunky? I opened it in the embedded bowser of chunky and said download. Nothing visible happened. I linked chunky to my Dropbox but pasting the url to Dropbox was a find that failed. I went to add it to my Dropbox and was taken to the browser sign in for auth. Despite having just tasked switching from the iOS version. At that point I gave up trying to do it via iOS.

Clicking on it didn't give you open in... Chunky?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

tuyop posted:

Clicking on it didn't give you open in... Chunky?

That would just be sane! No it took me to a Dropbox webpage that said would you like to download it or save it to your personal Dropbox. Pressing download had no visible effect. Long pressing the url or the download didn't bring up a share sheet with Chunky as an option.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

That would just be sane! No it took me to a Dropbox webpage that said would you like to download it or save it to your personal Dropbox. Pressing download had no visible effect. Long pressing the url or the download didn't bring up a share sheet with Chunky as an option.

Try adding it to your Dropbox (button should be on the top right of that page) and opening in the iOS Dropbox app.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

tuyop posted:

Try adding it to your Dropbox (button should be on the top right of that page) and opening in the iOS Dropbox app.

See original post. When I did that it sent me to the Dropbox login page in the client. Despite Dropbox being on the device and authenticated. If I wanted to f around more that may have been the correct set of hoops. But I didn't want to find my Dropbox auth info and try it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

See original post. When I did that it sent me to the Dropbox login page in the client. Despite Dropbox being on the device and authenticated. If I wanted to f around more that may have been the correct set of hoops. But I didn't want to find my Dropbox auth info and try it.

I think that's the right way to do it, I do that pretty often for PDFs. For the future since I guess you solved this problem.

Open link in email>click add in safari (which is logged into Dropbox)>open app>open in... Goodreader.

The easiest way is to just put it in Goodreader's synced folder from Safari, but sometimes I don't want that.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is there any way to download YouTube videos for offline viewing?

It looks like there was a couple of apps on the app store but they have all been removed. I've been watching lots of "Lets Play" videos using cellular data and it's chewing through my data plan.

(I know I can use my PC to download the videos and then transfer them but that's a total pain in the butt...)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Goodreader can do that I think.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

Is there any way to download YouTube videos for offline viewing?

It looks like there was a couple of apps on the app store but they have all been removed. I've been watching lots of "Lets Play" videos using cellular data and it's chewing through my data plan.

(I know I can use my PC to download the videos and then transfer them but that's a total pain in the butt...)

http://www.gadgets4families.com/goodreadermedia-manager-too/

Edit: the iOS apps megathread: 2 hour EDM mix and let's play video solutions. :psyduck:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 26, 2015

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Goodreader can do that I think.

It can. I do this all the time. It's kind of wonky though. You need to load the youtube page in safari, start the video so that the html 5 element is loaded, and then activate a bookmarklet that will download the video, so it's not exactly the best experience.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
We should just make a list of things Goodreader can't do. Makes it easier on everybody.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

We should just make a list of things Goodreader can't do. Makes it easier on everybody.

It doesn't remember your position on media files (or didn't last year). That really sucks. It also doesn't update metadata or annotations alone, which is really crappy when you're syncing large PDFs.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

noirstronaut posted:

It can't check in my beers to untappd, so that's at least one other app I can't delete.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It can't help me hook up with local guys.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

tuyop posted:

It also doesn't update metadata or annotations alone, which is really crappy when you're syncing large PDFs.

Are there apps that can do this? This is something I've noticed as well, so I typically only do my syncing on wifi.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

Are there apps that can do this? This is something I've noticed as well, so I typically only do my syncing on wifi.

This is how Kindle works with notes and highlights in personal docs and Amazon books, so you could probably use that if you wanted to deal with PDFs only on your iPad, since the desktop clients for Kindle suck and don't let you read personal documents.

I've been wondering if the Adobe mobile apps like Reader sync better, but it's really not worth it for me to switch over right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Gunder posted:

The attached photo is a screenshot of Apple's weather app. What does the weather symbol for Friday mean? If it just means that it's freezing, then I already know that on account of the temperatures being in the negative. Why not show the sunny symbol or the snow symbol, or any other symbol? If that symbol just means that it's below zero degrees, then displaying any other symbol would be more informative, as I already can get that data from the numerical values.

It's probably for freezing, because people using non-Celsius units can't just glance at the +/-.

edit: whoops, this is an old post now.