Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Frontline on concussions and CTE in the NFL was really good/horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I missed chat on The Fall but I just finished the second season last night and I still couldn't get over how the one detective (Martin?) bore an uncanny resemblance to Rob McElhenny from It's Always Sunny. I think it was exacerbated by the intense furrowed-brow look he often had and that his overcoat was eerily similar to "the duster". So when the rare moment of comic relief came when the technical crew member fell through the ceiling, and Fake-Rob flipped out, my wife and I just lost it.

Overall the second season was generally very strong. It was a little ham fisted with some of the themes, but the showdown between Spector and Gibson in the interview room was an amazingly intense climax. The ending scene felt a little rushed though. It felt like his storyline was closed but they slipped in a sloppy cliffhanger that could go either way if they get renewed for a third series.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 26, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought you guys were talking about The Interview because you were renting it on Amazon or something. What the heck is it doing on Netflix already?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

NESguerilla posted:

I thought you guys were talking about The Interview because you were renting it on Amazon or something. What the heck is it doing on Netflix already?

Its a Seth Rogan movie. hes the future Adam Sandler so its just the future peaking through.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You can pretty much make your decision about The Interview in the first 10 minutes. If you find the segment with Eminem to be hilarious, as I did, then congratulations you will probably like the movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You can pretty much make your decision about The Interview in the first 10 minutes. If you find the segment with Eminem to be hilarious, as I did, then congratulations you will probably like the movie.

Which is odd, because if there's one thing I hate the most about these post-Apatow comedies, its extended celebrity skits that don't really have any direct effect on the film's narrative. But in The Interview it works really, really well. I was dying.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I envy the fact that you clearly somehow missed the giant controversy surrounding its release.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

K. Waste posted:

Which is odd, because if there's one thing I hate the most about these post-Apatow comedies, its extended celebrity skits that don't really have any direct effect on the film's narrative. But in The Interview it works really, really well. I was dying.

The direct effect on the narrative is too introduce you to Seth and James characters in an entertaining and illustrative way.

Also that skit ruled and I can't believe anyone would find it divisive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I envy the fact that you clearly somehow missed the giant controversy surrounding its release.

I wish I had. I was just surprised that they weren't still trying to milk a $5 rental fee and make some of their money back.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People who pretend that Blackfish isn't entirely full of poo poo are ridiculous. SeaWorld is a animal rehabilitation place, it's not like they go out into the world and capture 100% fine animals, they help animals that are hurt and /or dieing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No its a theme park.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Abu Dave posted:

People who pretend that Blackfish isn't entirely full of poo poo are ridiculous. SeaWorld is a animal rehabilitation place, it's not like they go out into the world and capture 100% fine animals, they help animals that are hurt and /or dieing.

Then why do they continue to breed orcas? (So they can keep doing shows and making a profit because they're a business first and not actually interested in animal welfare.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

No, actually they captured and enslaved orcas until it was made illegal to do so. They use animals to make money and don't give a poo poo if they suffer or die unless that hits their bottom line.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Abu Dave posted:

If it was a rehabilitation place I couldn't pay to see a whale splash a bunch of tourists. It's a business and the sole purpose for a business is to generate profit for their stockholders.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then how come I saw vets performing life saving emergency surgery on a bald eagle in Busch Gardens Tampa? :911:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Abu Dave posted:

Then how come I saw vets performing life saving emergency surgery on a bald eagle in Busch Gardens Tampa? :usacry:

I don't know, why does a mechanic fix a delivery truck when it breaks down? You keep your equipment in working order.

e: The less cynical answer is that the vets and people working directly with the animals probably have good intentions but they are employees of a larger corporation, and corporations only care about the bottom line. The best thing for any wild animals is to be left alone in the wild and not paraded in front of people to make a profit. These are businesses, not non-profit organizations, they have shareholders and issues stock. They are concerned with money and if they can wrap that in a package that makes the consumer feel good about themselves in the process then bonus.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 27, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Abu Dave posted:

Then how come I saw vets performing life saving emergency surgery on a bald eagle in Busch Gardens Tampa? :911:

Can you explain why that dog is allowed to play basketball?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Can you explain why that dog is allowed to play basketball?

Sometimes a labs gotta go for the triple double baby.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Chichevache posted:

Then why do they continue to breed orcas? (So they can keep doing shows and making a profit because they're a business first and not actually interested in animal welfare.)

You're crazy. SeaWorld loves animals. They say so all the time. I mean why would you believe that a company that has been openly stating that their mission is to protect animals for 50 years is lying just because they keep massive animals in tiny enclosures and force them to do tricks in order to get fed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Not for nothing, but I'd imagine that slight amount of activity is the only thing keeping the animals from going completely off the loving rails insane.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

They may put some resources into animal rehab, but they have to turn a profit first. They do that by selling animals as entertainment. There may be rescue professionals and vets who work there to do good work, but they're all part of the show. After all, Busch let you know they were paying to save that loving eagle, maybe even by putting some kind of viewing platform in the rehab area. They're buying goodwill with that and a ton of syndicated animal rescue shows that totally gloss over where the money comes from.

They loving knew one of their orcas had killed people before and lied to some dumb college kid they hired as a "trainer," and then the orca loving killed him too. Gee, they must love animals to let three humans die in their parks and cover it up because the orca was too valuable as a stud to make more orcas because they can no longer get away with capturing them wild. They seem like real sweethearts.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ChickenMedium posted:

You're crazy. SeaWorld loves animals. They say so all the time. I mean why would you believe that a company that has been openly stating that their mission is to protect animals for 50 years is lying just because they keep massive animals in tiny enclosures and force them to do tricks in order to get fed.

Jesus, you sound like my dad. I get it, I'll lose weight. Right after this tuna.

Ps that frontline nfl episode was sad as hell.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Junkie Disease posted:

Jesus, you sound like my dad. I get it, I'll lose weight. Right after this tuna.

Ps that frontline nfl episode was sad as hell.

Can you seriously not detect the sarcasm there? Or can I not detect your sarcasm? It's hard to tell.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Can you seriously not detect the sarcasm there? Or can I not detect your sarcasm? It's hard to tell.

Latter. Seaworld is a horrible place to be.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, because the alternative, being dead, is SOOOO much better.

That's the problem. People watch Blackfish and go "rah rah Seaworld" but they still sit on their asses and don't do anything to help. You're all part of the problem.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why would the alternative be being dead? Are you threatening these orcas?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Abu Dave posted:

That's the problem. People watch Blackfish and go "rah rah Seaworld" but they still sit on their asses and don't do anything to help. You're all part of the problem.

The alternative isn't being dead; even if it was that is preferable.

I think we all just got trolled. :bang:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Abu Dave posted:

Wrong

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Abu Dave posted:

what.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

I have been doing what most people will be doing after the doc. Refuse to give SW money. And when they close help fund a solution that beats torture for animals and fish.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junkie Disease posted:

I have been doing what most people will be doing after the doc. Refuse to give SW money. And when they close help fund a solution that beats torture for animals and fish.

He posts from a iPad while wearing clothes made in China Slave Factories

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

He posts from a iPad while wearing clothes made in China Slave Factories

Hey some one here would say it's better to be a slave than dead.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Living on One Dollar is up on netflix and is pretty good. Makes me sad for the Guatemalans and all people living in poverty.

Also makes me think, I live in poverty in the US but i make so much more than they do and have a standard of living 10000x better.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 27, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Abu Dave posted:

Not the best troll attempt.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, Seaworld is losing mad stacks of cash and they blame blackfish, although it's not really clear that the movie is the only reason. Still, they'll be out of business within the next five years if they don't get attendance up.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Netflix-related post here...

Watching Automata. It's some Blade Runner and I, Robot kind of futuristic poo poo. I like it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

magnificent7 posted:

Netflix-related post here...

Watching Automata. It's some Blade Runner and I, Robot kind of futuristic poo poo. I like it.

Of the several things I wish that movie did differently in the latter half, I wish they didn't kill the cop as early as they did, I liked him a lot better than the gang of forgettable antagonists at the end.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2015

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Watching Blood and Bone, a DTV underground MMA movie starring Michael Jai White, and it has Rufio from Hook as a hype man/fight promoter.

Needless to say this is great.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Lycus posted:

Of the several things I wish that movie did differently in the latter half, I wish they didn't kill the cop as early as they did, I liked him a lot better than the gang of forgettable antagonists at the end.

and the robot design takes a "my kid designed this twist" for that little robot.
Holy hell they just added a bunch of History Channel nonhistory poo poo. And Stan Lee's lets pretend this freak is a super hero show has the shortest legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Blood and Bone is way better than it has any right to be.

• Locked thread