Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So, a post for all you wanna be fighter carrier players out there. A few tips that will generally help you tip the air battle in your favor.

1) Achieve local superiority. This is actually probably the unconscious driving force that most pubs follow instinctively in tanks and botes. Basically it means have more planes in the air than your opponent in one place, and use them to crush his air wing without losing many planes or expending all your ammo. Even if you have better planes than your opponent, always try to make fighter dogfights into 2:1 affairs where you have double the number of planes engaging. They will die very quickly, and you might even win a dogfight against superior planes if you're lower tier.

2) Target bomber squadrons before they go after friendly ships. This may seem like a no brainer, but I've played the game with carriers for all of three days and already seen a half dozen instances of people leaving fighters orbiting friendly ships and forgetting they existed. Flying CAP for a friendly battleship might help you keep your planes moving without some serious micro, but they're also less effective flying CAP than they are shooting down bombers on orders. If you see some bombers out all alone, kill them. Every plane you shoot down is a plane you don't have to shoot down later.

3) Completely destroy fighter squadrons, leave one bomber alive in bomber squadrons. Fighter Squadrons can still hurt bombers even with one plane. It will be slow, but it's possible they could shoot down one or two before they get bombs or torpedoes off. Bomber Squadrons will generally not hurt ships with only one bomb or one torpedo. One torpedo is hilariously easy to dodge, and will do, at most, 10k damage. One dive bomb is barely a mosquito bite to a battleship. The reason you want to do this is that bombers must return to rearm before they can do any damage whatsoever. Bombers are slow. If you kill all but one, that's an entire squadron effectively killed for 40-50 seconds longer than if you'd shot down every plane, if not more, counting the time they have to rearm, relaunch, and in transit both ways..

4) Send your planes on oblique routes. Do not have your planes fly straight line from your ship to where they're needed. It will take a bit longer, but you will remain safer if you head around the edges first. This is especially true of your bombers, but your fighters are good to remember this too.

5) Keep your fighters away from big ships. Seriously, don't do it. Fighters do literally nothing to big ships, and you will just lose your fighters. The only exception is when you have some bombers going in for a run and you want to distract the AA guns on the big ship so that the bombers get a tighter spread on torpedoes. Otherwise, keep them the hell away.

This has been a PSA from your carriergoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

Considering it sunk a battlecruiser in under 8 minutes, damaged another one badly enough that it had to withdraw, took a few torpedoes and still managed to sail away... only to be scuttled by its crew after a 10 hour battle in which it was badly outnumbered and reduced to shambles... I think Bismark did okay.

The Hood was a poorly armoured ship that looked nice and also got pretty unlucky. Within the Admiralty, Hood was basically considered obsolete. The battle at Denmark Strait was heavily mismanaged by the British, there wasn't a point when the Bismarck did anything that another battleship, or the Prinz Eugen, couldn't.

All military equipment is a tool for some purpose. Bismarck and Tirpitz were bloated and hideously expensive with their 4/5 year construction times, yet were unremarkable at best in their capabilities. They had major weaknesses that were unique to the Germans.

Their armour scheme wasn't much better than the Hood's, with poor deck armour and a weak stern. They had strong inner citadels and weak outer armour, which was effective at keeping the ship afloat but resulted in major internal damage when penetrating shells ricocheted off the citadel armour. Bismarck probably did take 400 shells, but those shells did more to destroy her internals than another ship. If the RN had let her retreat to Brest, Bismarck would have been in repairs for the rest of the war, or maybe just scrapped at the harbour.

The AA complement on the class was weak. The 10.5cm flak cannons did their job, but were slightly under-sized compared to other nation's guns. The 3.7cm guns were atrocious. They were comparable to the 40mm Bofors, except they shot 3 times slower. Also, the separation of anti-ship and anti-air secondary armament was passe and made fire control a mess.

What is it with Wehraboos and a fetishization for failure? The ship was scuttled as a gently caress-you gesture long after it lost the capability to effectively shoot back.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Strobe posted:

So, a post for all you wanna be fighter carrier players out there. A few tips that will generally help you tip the air battle in your favor.

1) Achieve local superiority. This is actually probably the unconscious driving force that most pubs follow instinctively in tanks and botes. Basically it means have more planes in the air than your opponent in one place, and use them to crush his air wing without losing many planes or expending all your ammo. Even if you have better planes than your opponent, always try to make fighter dogfights into 2:1 affairs where you have double the number of planes engaging. They will die very quickly, and you might even win a dogfight against superior planes if you're lower tier.

You will not win a dogfight against superior planes unless it's Ranger vs. Lexington. Leaderoforcs clowned 3 Langleys with two fighter squadrons from the Independence.

Edit: You are leaderoforcs

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You will not win a dogfight against superior planes unless it's Ranger vs. Lexington. Leaderoforcs clowned 3 Langleys with two fighter squadrons from the Independence.

I am Leaderoforcs, so I know this very well. The gap between levels of planes gets larger the further up the tree you go, but at tier 4 and 5 if you can get two full squadrons of fighters up against one squadron of fighters you might be at least able to break even, and it's the best contribution you're going to get as long as the enemy actually has fighters in the air.

Most of the time in that game I was ganging up on them 2:1 anyway, which made everything hilariously easy.

So, I guess you're correct, in as much as "You will not win a dogfight against superior planes used with more intelligence than a slightly lower than average pubbie".

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Strobe posted:

2) Target bomber squadrons before they go after friendly ships. This may seem like a no brainer, but I've played the game with carriers for all of three days and already seen a half dozen instances of people leaving fighters orbiting friendly ships and forgetting they existed. Flying CAP for a friendly battleship might help you keep your planes moving without some serious micro, but they're also less effective flying CAP than they are shooting down bombers on orders. If you see some bombers out all alone, kill them. Every plane you shoot down is a plane you don't have to shoot down later.

3) Completely destroy fighter squadrons, leave one bomber alive in bomber squadrons. Fighter Squadrons can still hurt bombers even with one plane. It will be slow, but it's possible they could shoot down one or two before they get bombs or torpedoes off. Bomber Squadrons will generally not hurt ships with only one bomb or one torpedo. One torpedo is hilariously easy to dodge, and will do, at most, 10k damage. One dive bomb is barely a mosquito bite to a battleship. The reason you want to do this is that bombers must return to rearm before they can do any damage whatsoever. Bombers are slow. If you kill all but one, that's an entire squadron effectively killed for 40-50 seconds longer than if you'd shot down every plane, if not more, counting the time they have to rearm, relaunch, and in transit both ways..

4) Send your planes on oblique routes. Do not have your planes fly straight line from your ship to where they're needed. It will take a bit longer, but you will remain safer if you head around the edges first. This is especially true of your bombers, but your fighters are good to remember this too.

5) Keep your fighters away from big ships. Seriously, don't do it. Fighters do literally nothing to big ships, and you will just lose your fighters. The only exception is when you have some bombers going in for a run and you want to distract the AA guns on the big ship so that the bombers get a tighter spread on torpedoes. Otherwise, keep them the hell away.

This has been a PSA from your carriergoon.

Following those points will not only allow you to improve your fighting chances with a carrier, but it will also ensure that you are hated just as much as an artillery player in WoT. The pubbie cries in chat will be all in caps.

I would add one thing when it comes to using fighters. Never ever engage against enemy fighters above the enemy ships. Especially not cruisers. You will lose your fighters in short order. In the same vein, try and engage enemy fighters above friendly ships, like cruisers. You will absolutely murder them.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
stop sperging out about loving 80 year old boats you loving autists. no one loving cares kyf

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Finished the second winter showdown mission and my mammoth crew is now at nearly 50% on the second skill. This is great for just half-assing through the day while listening to music and skyping with friends.
Gonna play some real battles now though and hope the ultra tomatoes are all busy drowning around the pointless cap circle in 8bit*.

*a man can dream

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Wow I cant believe how well the rommel is a war criminal troll works. People get so worked up about some random general who fought for a country theyve never been to.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Pookum posted:

Wow I cant believe how well the rommel is a war criminal troll works. People get so worked up about some random general who fought for a country theyve never been to.

Complain that the game isn't realistic enough due to tigers and panthers being able to leave the base. Actually anything involving tiger I insults can net some magical responses.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Atal Vataman posted:

stop sperging out about loving 80 year old boats you loving autists. no one loving cares kyf

rude. no kink shaming, thanks.

Jingles made a botes video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebx89jbm2vw
tldr: he likes it.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
How well does boats run? I get decent FPS in tanks on laptop but I think all that water might kill the frames for me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Is clicking on the community tab on https://worldoftanks.com making the website in Spanish for anyone else?

Edit: Bummer, they fixed it.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 26, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Pookum posted:

How well does boats run? I get decent FPS in tanks on laptop but I think all that water might kill the frames for me.
It runs better than tanks did, on my 4 year old laptop with integrated graphics.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you bait some pub into engaging your fighters above a friendly cruiser you can often get around this.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

notwithoutmyanus posted:

There's a button at the top of the forums you click. It says "clicking here will make all your dreams come true!" on some versions, and others it says "Log Out".

:getout:

That's funny, there's also text that says World of Tanks, as in the subject of this thread. I mean, if you guys want to throw more time, money and tears at another lovely WG game(and let's be honest, as fun as gameplay might be at the moment, WG will gently caress it up), go for it, but how about one of you spegs effortthread it.

Also, "botes" is loving dumb.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

NTRabbit posted:

It is, you're right. Could roleplay Blucher, sunk in a fjord by a torpedo and an officer both made for service in WW1 :v:

Is this the only time in WWII where a shore battery did anything of note? [I assume because most ships stayed away from them]

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Should I drop 60k free exp to get the E100 top gun or is the stock grind OK enough to just deal with it?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

KurdtLives posted:

Is this the only time in WWII where a shore battery did anything of note? [I assume because most ships stayed away from them]

Marines sank a Destroyer and forced off a Cruiser from Wake Island with shore guns, but it didn't change the outcome of the battle. Otherwise that's pretty much it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Darkrenown posted:

rude. no kink shaming, thanks.

Jingles made a botes video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebx89jbm2vw
tldr: he likes it.

Pointing out the damage he does in the BB to that cruiser with AP and that special ribbon for that hit.

With videos and stuff getting released there might actually be enough stuff that a thread wouldn't be an obvious please ban us for NDA breaches that are inevitably going to happen with a bunch of people with access talking.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 26, 2015

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

warcrimes posted:

Also, "botes" is loving dumb.

I agree, let's talk about tonks.
Anyone has a problem with their sell screen closing after like 2 seconds? Or all of the Winter Special mode buildings looking already razed?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, so Winter Showdown tanks is great right guys?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Arishtat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGOY2bSU2Y

It's a long one but I promise that the end is worth watching.

So not only did that piece of poo poo attempt to lose your team the game by trying to avoid repair costs, he also blocked your shots. And your teammates were openly berating him!

God drat I hate this player base so much.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Hey, so Winter Showdown tanks is great right guys?

kinda fun but i'm bored of it after 10 games.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
It would honestly be more fun if you could team up with teams of two three-man-platoons pitted against each other. Or if the map didn't require you to shoot through the walls to get to the opposition. Or if there wasn't a cap circle (or if there at least was any kind of loving merit to capping).

The matches are quick and the missions are easy. Since winning or surviving wasn't part of the mission I pretty just went in guns blazing, did my 2.5k dmg and died. The games don't count towards your stats so gently caress it. Free crew exp.

But seriously, gently caress tomatoes rushing the cap circle and 'winning' before anyone has had a chance to do enough damage to get the experience reward. Why the gently caress is there even a cap circle?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a cao circle because Wargaming likes to troll its players :shrug:

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

There's a cao circle because Wargaming likes to troll its players :shrug:

Yes, this was already pointed out to me when I posed the same question earlier in the thread. I really can't think of any other reason, so that must be it. It's just so goddamned dickish words fail me.

Also don't bother with premium ammo, you don't want to spend money on healing your teammates.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Doffen posted:

Yes, this was already pointed out to me when I posed the same question earlier in the thread. I really can't think of any other reason, so that must be it. It's just so goddamned dickish words fail me.

Also don't bother with premium ammo, you don't want to spend money on healing your teammates.

I think you get damage counted for you if you heal your teammates, so there's that if they're all being fucktards and clogging the firing lanes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvvqUvars0

Video by iChase, an alpha who has a vague idea how to battleship with AP shells and also carrier action.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

xthetenth posted:

The German WWII designs sucked. The Bismarck was 5000 tons heavier than the Richelieu and got a few debatable advantages and disadvantages. With a weak stern prone to collapse, bad underwater protection and unprotected key systems she was very prone to hits damaging her capabilities, something a commerce raider simply cannot afford, and all of those weaknesses contributed to her getting turned into a smoldering pile of scrap unable to resist by a bloody 1920 design.

Their cruisers sucked harder. Look at how much more weight the Eugens needed than the British county class cruisers of 1928 to achieve mostly the same thing. Or their American, Japanese (overloaded but they did much more), Italian or French contemporaries. In fact, the Zara and Algerie are very good designs, and the French Algerie is regarded as one of the best treaty cruisers (the Zaras were a radar set away from fantastic). Half again the weight for not much capability if any, and a bunch more crew.

The German destroyers were big fat pigs, compare the 1936-As to the French Mogadors. Weep softly. Move on.

German aircraft carriers were actually just one lumber warehouse with a planned air wing that made British ideas look good. Sorry, but with access to Japanese practice, using biplane torpedo bombers for your scouts is pathetic. And 109s as carrier fighters is a very dubious idea. And guess what? She was way overweight. Half again the weight of the Yorktowns and an air wing of under 50 planes. If you like the small air wing of British carriers and the enclosed hangar with no armored flight deck of the Japanese tinderboxes, this is the lumber warehouse for you.

A running theme can be seen between German tanks and boats: they weigh at least half again as much as comparable designs to do the same (at best). Panther - 45 tons. T-44 - around 32 tons with comparable if not superior armouring and much smaller profile. Pershing - 42 tons, but with a considerably larger gun and designed by a nation with the industrial capability to support it. Christ, even the IS-2 (with better armour and gun than the Panther) was comparatively small and only weighed a ton more.

Also, the idea of landing a 109 on a carrier is horrifying. The things were dangerous enough on the ground. I can't imagine how carrier landings would've gone even in calm seas with experienced pilots.

Dalael posted:

Considering it sunk a battlecruiser in under 8 minutes, damaged another one badly enough that it had to withdraw, took a few torpedoes and still managed to sail away... only to be scuttled by its crew after a 10 hour battle in which it was badly outnumbered and reduced to shambles... I think Bismark did okay.

poo poo, I wasn't even aware that the germans had a concept for a carrier, no matter how lovely it was.

A battleship sinking a battlecruiser isn't that impressive, it's kind of the whole point. Battleships have armour, battlecruisers don't. The point of a battlecruiser is to not get hit by a battleship or you're going to have a super lovely day. At any rate, Hood was beginning to show her age and there was no way she could've survived a hit to her magazines. Bismarck would likely have been in deep poo poo then and there had KGV's gunnery not been hosed up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The scenario Independence versus three Langleys is the entire reason I run fighter carriers. Fighter carriers are hard counters to other carriers. Counter battery all the time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rossmum posted:

A battleship sinking a battlecruiser isn't that impressive, it's kind of the whole point. Battleships have armour, battlecruisers don't. The point of a battlecruiser is to not get hit by a battleship or you're going to have a super lovely day. At any rate, Hood was beginning to show her age and there was no way she could've survived a hit to her magazines. Bismarck would likely have been in deep poo poo then and there had KGV's gunnery not been hosed up.

The underwater hit the Bismarck took was the sort that a commerce raider simply cannot afford if they get caught not near port. It could just as easily have been the Bismarck scuttling herself in port waiting for fuel in South America after an inconclusive fight, not the Graf Spee. The KGV and Bismarck against each other is probably a roll of the dice to be honest, it's all about critical hits, and the KGV could easily knock out the Bismarck's fire direction like Rodney or flood her machinery with more underwater hits or something bad could've happened to her. That sort of thing is a numbers game. Problem is the Bismarck weighed enough to be armed with and armored against 16", and that would've been no contest.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

xthetenth posted:

The underwater hit the Bismarck took was the sort that a commerce raider simply cannot afford if they get caught not near port. It could just as easily have been the Bismarck scuttling herself in port waiting for fuel in South America after an inconclusive fight, not the Graf Spee. The KGV and Bismarck against each other is probably a roll of the dice to be honest, it's all about critical hits, and the KGV could easily knock out the Bismarck's fire direction like Rodney or flood her machinery with more underwater hits or something bad could've happened to her. That sort of thing is a numbers game. Problem is the Bismarck weighed enough to be armed with and armored against 16", and that would've been no contest.

Yeah that is true of the guns, while during its construction they abandoned the London/Washington treaty, though the Bismark its self did not get any modification during its construction, unlike its sister ship that started construction later, which is probably where the idea of making the ship harder to sink at the expense exposed areas, If it took a few hits but still made it back. who cares? it would of probably been retrofitted coming back, but of cause it did not come back.

In terms of in game, I think the Bismark will be a premium ship. But its sister ship the T7-8 battleship, since Bismark lasted less than a year and so no upgrades :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also tons of pubs in their tubs wanting to steamship around in a Bismark and would be willing to :homebrew: to do so.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm just waiting for the Scharnhorst class battlebotes because they were so undergunned for their size. Tier 6? 7?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What should I take as my second skills on my E-25 crew? Right now we have sixth on the commander and camo on everyone else.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Making the Bismarck a premium ship would be a good move financially while just having the Tirpitz be the regular tier whatever. You just know all those wehraboos would be more than willing to fork over for a genuine Kriegsmarine Legendtm.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What should I take as my second skills on my E-25 crew? Right now we have sixth on the commander and camo on everyone else.

Clutch Braking is great, Snapshot works on moving the gun, Smooth Ride only works on moving forward but is still worth taking. Safe Stowage on the loader, view range skills on Radioman and Commander for bullshit viewrange/camo silliness, and BiA if you want to gold retrain when you're some way through your third skill.

Off Road Driving is literally worthless, don't bother.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
It would have been nice if these winter mission tanks were premium so I could cycle crew through them easier.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You know, you guys whine about my effortpoasting, but at least I post about tanks in the tanks thread. Maybe create a boats thread in PGS if you're that paranoid? You guys realize you don't have to pay to open a new thread, right?

maev posted:

Should I drop 60k free exp to get the E100 top gun or is the stock grind OK enough to just deal with it?

Well on the up side the stock gun is the E75/45B/Maus gun. On the down side, the stock gun is the E75/45B/Maus gun.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

This is the World of Boats thread now :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CitizenKain posted:

It would have been nice if these winter mission tanks were premium so I could cycle crew through them easier.

Agreed, that would be very nice. But actually, having a poo poo/non-trained crew in the 8bit tanks isn't that big of a handicap. The mission requirements are laughably easy if you know what you're doing.