Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

AlternateNu posted:

The entire movie is only 45 minutes, though. That's a 1/4 of it and doesn't include Gohan, Piccolo, and Krillin faffing about with the cannon fodder bots. Any action feature that has literally half of it featuring fighting is pretty good, especially by Hollywood standards.

Good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I was oddly a big fan of Cooler when I was a kid. I was also a big fan of Broly. I can kind of see the appeal now, but I don't view them as great as I used to. For Cooler, he was liker a bigger, badder Freeza and Broly was marvel's Hulk ported to DBZ.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

For all we know, he just knows the basics and got by in the tournament scene with his raw strength

Truly, the Brock Lesnar of DBZ :v:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I never liked Broly. Even as a kid, I just couldn't buy it. I like that there was a legitimate Saiyan threat, but because it's confined to the movies, the set-up and plausibility (I know, DBZ) is pretty absent to me. At least during the series, the super strong dudes generally have a little build-up that makes me anticipate the fight. Broly was like, "oh by the way, we're totally making this rival for Goku, and he's super stronger than anything you've ever seen holy poo poo". I realize this is the general plot of the DBZ movies, but Broly stuck out just for the lengths they go through to make it happen.

Then when it finally happens, instead of clever little digs and smirks like from a Freeza or Cell, we get dumb screaming and white eyes. Nah.

Him bulking up into Super Ultra Turbo Saiyan did nothing to endear him to me. However, viewed in hindsight, I think Bio-Broly's end is pretty hilarious.

E: Also, I don't really like DBZA. I guess I'm alone in that? I'll try to give it another honest shot, but I think one of my favorite things about DBZ is just how honest everything is. It's pretty cool now to wink at the camera and make in-jokes, but I feel like a lot of DBZ is brutally sincere in it's way it tells the story, and I appreciate that.

E2: I also used to play on a DBZ MUD, and they named Freeza's race as "Icer". I kind of like that, and it sticks to me.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 27, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Covok posted:

I was oddly a big fan of Cooler when I was a kid. I was also a big fan of Broly. I can kind of see the appeal now, but I don't view them as great as I used to. For Cooler, he was liker a bigger, badder Freeza and Broly was marvel's Hulk ported to DBZ.

I kind of still like Cooler.

Though uh yeah I was a fan of Broly that kind of phased out.

I will probably make my Xenoverse Character a 4th form Freezian.

He will be Glacier.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Broly as a character, but the movies sucked. I love when heroes come out on top over foes that are imfuckingpossible to beat until they finally manage it in a magnificent turn around, but the movies....they didn't handle the concept well at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Firstborn posted:

I never liked Broly. Even as a kid, I just couldn't buy it. I like that there was a legitimate Saiyan threat, but because it's confined to the movies, the set-up and plausibility (I know, DBZ) is pretty absent to me. At least during the series, the super strong dudes generally have a little build-up that makes me anticipate the fight. Broly was like, "oh by the way, we're totally making this rival for Goku, and he's super stronger than anything you've ever seen holy poo poo". I realize this is the general plot of the DBZ movies, but Broly stuck out just for the lengths they go through to make it happen.

Then when it finally happens, instead of clever little digs and smirks like from a Freeza or Cell, we get dumb screaming and white eyes. Nah.

Him bulking up into Super Ultra Turbo Saiyan did nothing to endear him to me. However, viewed in hindsight, I think Bio-Broly's end is pretty hilarious.

E: Also, I don't really like DBZA. I guess I'm alone in that? I'll try to give it another honest shot, but I think one of my favorite things about DBZ is just how honest everything is. It's pretty cool now to wink at the camera and make in-jokes, but I feel like a lot of DBZ is brutally sincere in it's way it tells the story, and I appreciate that.

E2: I also used to play on a DBZ MUD, and they named Freeza's race as "Icer". I kind of like that, and it sticks to me.

I also don't like DBZA for pretty much the same reason.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I watched some more DBZA. Well...

KoB
May 1, 2009
I couldnt really get into it when I watched the beginning but sort of just jumped into the end of Freiza/beginning of Cell and I think its pretty great.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm trying to watch it from the beginning again. Give it a real good shot. On a technical level it's impressive, but man it got dated. Myspace jokes, South Park cut-outs, and clips from old Adult Swim cartoons. I'll stick it with it, because some things are clever and if you say it gets better I'll try it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Countblanc posted:

See, the main reason I like DBZA, as opposed to other abridged series (aside from how most of the others are all poo poo) is that you can tell that the creators not only used to be giant fans, but still are and really love the series. I think parodies like that don't really work if they are coming from a mean-spirited or cynical perspective.

Also, and this is less true in the early days, DBZA is a lot less meta than other abdriged series, the characters don't think they are in a show or a story.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

I like Broly as a character, but the movies sucked. I love when heroes come out on top over foes that are imfuckingpossible to beat until they finally manage it in a magnificent turn around, but the movies....they didn't handle the concept well at all.

There isn't really a lot to like about him as a character, though? I like some of the ideas for him, but they never do a drat thing with Broly besides make him really strong and even more angry. It's like a photo shoot without a model: just a bunch of well-lit props.

Firstborn posted:

I'm trying to watch it from the beginning again. Give it a real good shot. On a technical level it's impressive, but man it got dated. Myspace jokes, South Park cut-outs, and clips from old Adult Swim cartoons. I'll stick it with it, because some things are clever and if you say it gets better I'll try it.

They drop literally everything you listed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Countblanc posted:

Get the gently caress out.

edit: First eps are pretty rough because they used dated humor. But once they hit to Planet Namek and focus on Vegeta, I feel that is when it hits its stride.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 27, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

DBZA is subjective, as is all comedy, but their early stuff is really bad. I did find it funny when I was 14, because, well... 14.

I rewatch episodes every now and then because it takes so long to make them so I forget what they did and I always start around when they first reach Namek. Once Freiza enters the picture, it's all uphill from there, but there's still times when I roll my eyes as they pander to their dumb teen audience, as I enjoy only the most sophisticated memes. :wotwot:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Prison Warden posted:

Also, and this is less true in the early days, DBZA is a lot less meta than other abdriged series, the characters don't think they are in a show or a story.

That feels pretty true. Also, I do kind of like that unlike other parodies you can still sort of glean the story from the series... if it was just completely monkeycheese humour (which I'm already seeing a lot of), it might as well just be a Williams Street Adult Swim cartoon. I'll admit that I did like a bunch of those when I was younger.

I already did like two dorky gags, though: Piccolo can't pronounce Special Beam Cannon in Japanese, and Radditz's VA wanted to say "Double Sunday".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Firstborn posted:

I watched some more DBZA. Well...

I'd watch the Namekimania episode, that was the one that really got me hooked.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Crosspeice posted:

DBZA is subjective, as is all comedy, but their early stuff is really bad. I did find it funny when I was 14, because, well... 14.

I rewatch episodes every now and then because it takes so long to make them so I forget what they did and I always start around when they first reach Namek. Once Freiza enters the picture, it's all uphill from there, but there's still times when I roll my eyes as they pander to their dumb teen audience, as I enjoy only the most sophisticated memes. :wotwot:

I think there is some good stuff in the earlier episodes... but it's few and far between. I still crack up at the whole "Ahh, my space-armour!" joke chain, but other than a couple of bits in the first episode, I don't remember anything until the final fight with the saiyans being worth watching. That still has some good bits, like Yamcha being Yamcha'd and Vegeta is pretty much great from the get go.

Basically, you should just watch Dragonball Kai Abridged 1 and then skip straight to the Namek arc.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

I think there is some good stuff in the earlier episodes... but it's few and far between. I still crack up at the whole "Ahh, my space-armour!" joke chain, but other than a couple of bits in the first episode, I don't remember anything until the final fight with the saiyans being worth watching. That still has some good bits, like Yamcha being Yamcha'd and Vegeta is pretty much great from the get go.

Basically, you should just watch Dragonball Kai Abridged 1 and then skip straight to the Namek arc.

Piccolo calling Gohan a NERRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDD was pretty good too, but that was just a moment

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Honestly i'd point new DBZA viewers at the Freiza saga first. Come back to the earlier stuff (and the movies) after you've watched all of Freiza upto current and you'll appreciate how they improved.

Heck the only thing that will feel out of place with this thought process is Ghost Nappa, but i figured that was Vegita going off the deep end at the time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah actually thinking about it Frieza's little counting game was another of the moments that made me think 'yeah, this show is worth it'

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

There isn't really a lot to like about him as a character, though? I like some of the ideas for him, but they never do a drat thing with Broly besides make him really strong and even more angry. It's like a photo shoot without a model: just a bunch of well-lit props.

Maybe it's better to say I like the idea of him, and how's he's presented in the fighting games.

Two Finger posted:

Yeah actually thinking about it Frieza's little counting game was another of the moments that made me think 'yeah, this show is worth it'

I'mma deck you in the schnozz.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I actually used to hate DBZA and refused to watch it for ages, but I got bored one summer and it was something to throw on in the background. The first season is bad to mediocre with a few gems here and there, but it really does pick up starting in season two. I've rewatched it a few times and I usually spend most of the first season wondering how the hell it ever got so popular. Then Freeza starts and I remember.

Honestly, once they finish Buu, I kind of want them to go back and redo the first season. The difference between the first season and the second season is pretty glaring, just all around.

Edit: On the Broly talk, I've never gotten why people complain about him being a white-eyed rage monster. He did nothing but scream while under his dad's control, but as soon as he broke free he was making quips and taunts all over the place. He ends up talking quite a bit, and he got in some pretty good one liners. He just also wasn't big on standing around while chatting like Freeza and Cell, instead typically wrecking faces at the same time.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 27, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I'mma deck you in the schnozz.

Oho!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Firstborn posted:

The Frieza saga is where DBZA really hits its stride and never looks back. The quality of pretty much everything picks up and the writing gets a lot better.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Frieza saga is where DBZA really hits its stride and never looks back. The quality of pretty much everything picks up and the writing gets a lot better.

I completely agree with this. Frieza's VA and writing were absolutely loving top notch.
They took the smug emperor to a whole new level.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
There are alot of moments that stand out for me.

One of my favorites is when Vegeta v.s Racoome and they used the Ocean Dub line for Recoome.

The name is RECOOME, it rhymes with DOOM and you will be hurting ALL tooo SOOON, with the loving doom remix playing in the background. (and then Vegeta's music was Grand Tour)

2nd favorite is when Vegeta wakes up and goes WOW I must have been out for so long. On a planet with TWO suns.

Oh YOU MOTHERfuccccccccccckers. (and hear Piccolo in the distance saying OW my ear)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

What made DBZA Frieza so good was that occasionally the smugness would crack and he'd be genuinely menacing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Okay. Mr. Popo was pretty funny.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Testekill posted:

What made DBZA Frieza so good was that occasionally the smugness would crack and he'd be genuinely menacing.

Oh no, no, don't mind me, I'm just a little bit ABSOLUTELY LIVID

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Firstborn posted:

Okay. Mr. Popo was pretty funny.

You got me sitting with the second season on in the background, which episode you on?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
"Oh, please, don't mind me. By all means

give me some ideas"

was actually legit creepy and made my spine tinge.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
When I introduce people to DBZA, I start'em with episode 9, go through the Vegeta fight, and cycle back to the DBZA Kai for Season 1. Then we go to season 2.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Prison Warden posted:

You got me sitting with the second season on in the background, which episode you on?

Just started Episode 9.

E I realize you may have been asking what episodes had me laughing at Popo... I think starts at 7 and don't skip the musical number.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 27, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
DBZA season 1 is nearly unwatchable to me at this point but I've gone through s2 a couple times and it definitely holds up really well.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Just started Episode 9.

E I realize you may have been asking what episodes had me laughing at Popo... I think starts at 7 and don't skip the musical number.

Watch DBZ Kai Abridged Ep 1 after you're done with the Vegeta fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the Radditz fight in DBZA is pretty bad but it picks up from there pretty quick. I don't think there's a huge gap between the Saiyans and the Freeza arc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I just realized that 16 will be the 'You will quote everything I say' guy in the next Kai episode.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I think the Radditz fight in DBZA is pretty bad but it picks up from there pretty quick. I don't think there's a huge gap between the Saiyans and the Freeza arc.

The constant meta jokes around making Nappa the star was incredibly grating. Killing him off was what really started the quality because their joke crutch was gone and Vegeta became his own guy instead of a straight man.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Kild posted:

I just realized that 16 will be the 'You will quote everything I say' guy in the next Kai episode.

"I'd love to see your dinosaur."

"It does WHAT?!"

It gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ImpAtom posted:

"A full nelson? That wont work on me. I'm Raditz."

DBZA Season 1 is a lot like Season 1 of Parks and Recreation, where the quality is admittedly worse than the later seasons but it takes less than two hours to watch and let's be honest: like you have anything better to do.

• Locked thread