Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

In one of their podcasts, Quinns described 7 Wonders as 7 people cooking in the same kitchen. That analogy really fits for a lot of euros for me, for some reason.

That's not bad or unfun, of course. There have been a number of very successful shows based on a bunch of people cooking in the same kitchen, including Iron Chef and this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

homullus posted:

That's not bad or unfun, of course. There have been a number of very successful shows based on a bunch of people cooking in the same kitchen, including Iron Chef and this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

I now unironically want to release a game called Too Many Cooks that is a 7 Wonders-esque game where everyone get's menu items they are trying to complete, and have to draft the right ingredients to complete them. If any of you steal this idea, I won't like it, but I'll unashamedly play your game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, it was a positive take on it. And I mostly agree although sometimes it depends on whether we're making salads or baked goods or something in between :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Merauder posted:

I now unironically want to release a game called Too Many Cooks that is a 7 Wonders-esque game where everyone get's menu items they are trying to complete, and have to draft the right ingredients to complete them. If any of you steal this idea, I won't like it, but I'll unashamedly play your game.

Pressure Cooker is basically that, though you're competing over making the same things in real time (and thus cannot viably make all the things).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Countblanc posted:

Pressure Cooker is basically that, though you're competing over making the same things in real time (and thus cannot viably make all the things).

Well then! Might just need to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And now for more on the exciting frontier of board game repackaging:

You can fit the entirety of Machi Koro and the Harbor expansions, including dice, bagged coins and player starting buildings/money in bags, in just the Harbor box with the insert removed. Even if all the cards are sleeved.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Glazius posted:

And now for more on the exciting frontier of board game repackaging:

You can fit the entirety of Machi Koro and the Harbor expansions, including dice, bagged coins and player starting buildings/money in bags, in just the Harbor box with the insert removed. Even if all the cards are sleeved.

I freaking hate the Machi Koro base box haha. I fully expect to combine them into something much much smaller.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ChiTownEddie posted:

I freaking hate the Machi Koro base box haha. I fully expect to combine them into something much much smaller.

Probably, but the sleeves add a lot of height to the card stack. I filled around 3/4 of the expansion box, with its insert removed, with sleeved cards, and I think sleeved cards are good for a game with as much card-handling as Machi Koro.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ChiTownEddie posted:

If you want something smaller that's available in NA, there's the French version, Miniville. I don't remember how big it is, but it's much smaller than the English release.

The first modern board game I remember playing was Blockus. I think I was around 9 or 10 when I first played it, and I was pretty decent at it IIRC. I never owned the original version, but I still have the 2 player version. Some time later, I think grade 10 or so, I got Risk, and enjoyed it. Same for Fluxx, I got a copy and enjoyed it, but was never itching to play it. I didn't play it much, but I never lost friends over it. In grade 12, I discovered Catan. After playing it, I don't think I touched Risk again.

I didn't really know modern board games were really a thing until years later, even though I played several. I remember playing Carcassonne, Serenissima, Dominion (with 5 or 6 players), Pandemic, and Citadels. I enjoyed them, but never really thought about them after the game was over.

Back a couple years, in the summer of 2013, I saw a comic shop had a weekly board game night, and I decided to check it out, because why the hell not. That night I played The Duke, and TtR, and again, enjoyed them, but wasn't itching to play again. The next week, I played The Manhattan Project, and after playing it, I got really excited to go back. If I were to play again, I don't think I'd like it, but it did get me excited to play good games. I have never thought that Munchkin was a good game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I have a shameful confession to make. I requested to play Munchkin once. I remember the look of horror on my friend's face (he owned the game), and I refused to heed his warnings because I had heard quite a bit about the game, but nothing about its mechanics.

That was a miserable couple of hours that none of us will ever get back.

Fortunately, I now know to research games before I buy/request to play them so that I know that they'll be good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

I have a shameful confession to make. I requested to play Munchkin once. I remember the look of horror on my friend's face (he owned the game), and I refused to heed his warnings because I had heard quite a bit about the game, but nothing about its mechanics.

That was a miserable couple of hours that none of us will ever get back.

Fortunately, I now know to research games before I buy/request to play them so that I know that they'll be good.

That's your friends fault. Everyone who owns a copy of Munchkin has to throw it into the fires of mount doom or forever be cursed to have people ask to play it. Seriously throwing it into a fire pit was the most fun I ever had with my copy of Munchkin

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Oh god I remember that game. A friend of mine bought it and suckered us into playing it , then we all got stupid and played it again a week later. It was such a colossal piece of poo poo and it took like six hours to play, it was like arkham horror on steroids or something

I got to playtest the combat (and only the combat) of the original WoW boardgame. Which was actually pretty intricate and neat, if still full of dice. Unfortunately there was a bunch of other stuff in the game and very little of it worked plus it took absolutely forever as you say.

The WoW "adventure game" that they released later didn't even have that much in the way of redeeming qualities. Though I guess it was shorter.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I'm hosting a board game night with the family on Friday, and there looks to be around 9 people coming. None of them are play board games, and I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to play. I'm trying to avoid splitting into two groups, because I'd likely end up just being the rules ref for both games.

I already own Dixit: Odyssey, Shadow Hunters, The Resistance (but not Avalon), Wits and Wagers, and I've got a PnP copy of Two Rooms and a Boom (made the cards myself because the official PnP ones are terrible and all the pdfs on BGG are ugly). I also own 7 Wonders and Formula D, but I think 7 Wonders would be a bit too dense for the table, and Formula D never struck me as too much fun.

Any ideas? Panic on Wall Street looked interesting, and the werewolf games looked good but I can't find a copy of One Night Ultimate Werewolf anywhere.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Arkham Horror on steroids" makes me think of Android, which I have never (and will never) played but it makes me sad that a game with such a great premise (solving noir murder mysteries in a Blade Runner esque future) is the quintessential FFG game to end all FFG games. I guess the Netrunner revival came out of it so it's not a total loss?

I think I got introduced to Catan in college, prior to that the board game of choice for me and my friends in high school was Risk 2210. I think the first time I ever played Monopoly was in high school too and was very clearly able to tell it was bad. I also played a lot of Magic in middle and high school but it wasn't until I was post college that I really played board games. Catan, Arkham Horror, a couple games of Betrayal at the House on the Hill. I bought both Zombies!!! and SJ Games' Frag when they were on a half off sale and regretted both almost instantly, and I've only ever played one game of Munchkin which was quite enough for me. Later one of the guys in my at the time gaming group bought a copy of Risk: Legacy which was a lot of fun though we never got to 15 games before I moved, oh well.

Back in college I bought a copy of Twilight Imperium because it looked rad and I was an idiot with my money. I tried teaching it to a group of friends and we wasted about five hours and accomplished basically nothing. That was the one and only game I ever played of it, and I think I managed to sell it for like $30 later.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

In high school all we played was Munchkin, Mafia, and Mao.

The very first game I played in college was Battlestar Galactica, and the second was Dominion. I never looked back.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I first played Dominion and then was later exposed to Munchkin and Shadows over Camelot and the like.

I got jaded very quickly. I think if my group was composed of the average smelly gameshop nerd and not otherwise cool people I would have been driven off of this hobby.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That's your friends fault. Everyone who owns a copy of Munchkin has to throw it into the fires of mount doom or forever be cursed to have people ask to play it. Seriously throwing it into a fire pit was the most fun I ever had with my copy of Munchkin

In a similar vain, I once found a copy of Fluxx from my formative years and threw it in the trash with no regrets.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I haven't done that yet. I've actually kind of tried to make it work, but I don't know if that actually helps solve any problems. I've had a couple of playtests but that's too small a sample.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is Machi Koro any good? My wife and I were at a game night and someone had just picked it up so 4 of us played it. My wife won by basically just not buying anything beyond a few starter cards and then just hoarding cash until she could flip all the attractions. I was the only one that ever really rolled 2 dice, and it never really helped me. I tried to formulate some kind of strategy based on what numbers were likely to come up (aka buy cards that activated on as many rolls as possible) but there just aren't that many options. It was enjoyable but it didn't really seem very deep, was I missing something?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Duct Tape posted:

I'm hosting a board game night with the family on Friday, and there looks to be around 9 people coming. None of them are play board games, and I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to play. I'm trying to avoid splitting into two groups, because I'd likely end up just being the rules ref for both games.

I already own Dixit: Odyssey, Shadow Hunters, The Resistance (but not Avalon), Wits and Wagers, and I've got a PnP copy of Two Rooms and a Boom (made the cards myself because the official PnP ones are terrible and all the pdfs on BGG are ugly). I also own 7 Wonders and Formula D, but I think 7 Wonders would be a bit too dense for the table, and Formula D never struck me as too much fun.

Any ideas? Panic on Wall Street looked interesting, and the werewolf games looked good but I can't find a copy of One Night Ultimate Werewolf anywhere.

7 Wonders was something that my aunt and stepfather enjoyed playing even though their only background was card games (i.e. Hearts, Spades, Progressive Rummy, etc.). It's probably simple enough for them to pick up if you stick to the base game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

djfooboo posted:

In a similar vain, I once found a copy of Fluxx from my formative years and threw it in the trash with no regrets.

Y'know, I'm gonna be honest about it, I also played a few games of Fluxx around the post-college period of Arkham Horror and Betrayal and such, and compared to Munchkin I would play Fluxx any day of the week because at least Fluxx ends and ends quickly. Like yes, it's a game with no real depth at all to it and nothing in the way of strategizing, but as a "game you're playing because the host wanted to play something brainless as a sort of social facilitator" it's vastly better than Munchkin, less likely to reveal awkward and uncomfortable things about people you know like CAH, and doesn't require even the setup of something like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit.

I know three or four people are going to rush to tell me this is the essence of damning with faint praise which, no poo poo, but I still find Fluxx comparatively inoffensive next to what I suppose you'd consider its peers.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Duct Tape posted:

8-10 players is pretty tough and you have most of the big names covered (that player count would eliminate 7 wonders anyway). My extra recs would be (in order of how much I like them):
1. Panic on Wall Street -- This is a very fun game, full of desperate deals and shouting across the table. It is super simple, so it shouldn't scare off newer players, and plays relatively quickly. Its theme also means that it doesn't come off as super nerdy, if that is something that you were worried about. You are already leaning towards it, so I would recommend that this be your pick!

2. Click-Clack Lumberjack -- This is like a good version of all the games you used to play as a kid -- you take a silly novelty axe and play a game of reverse Jenga (try to knock pieces of bark off a tree without destroying the whole thing) Tactile, quick, and incredibly fun.

3. Mascarade plays up to 16. It is a game where everyone has a hidden role and every hidden role has a power. You can lie about what role you have but other player's can call your bluff (at some risk to them). The fun comes in from the fact that you can't look at your own card without spending a turn and as soon as people start switching the cards (or sometimes thinking that they switched them but didn't) that the bluffing and deduction comes in. There is also a lot of room for amusing mistakes. Ultimately I think that it is a decent game in the vein of a more random Resistance but I have no idea how quickly it would play with 10 (it is a bit slow with my group).

Other possibilities (that I have not played but I have heard good things about): Ladies and Gentlemen: a silly team game about being a parody of a Victorian couple.

Also, you should buy the new Resistance expansion and substitute the Avalon roles, it really makes the game much better (in my opinion, at least).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Whoever it was who wanted the rules for Fief, they're up here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113006/fief-rules-v-105

Apparently there are improvements as well?

Edit: Nope these are still terribly formatted. Although man, I didn't know Uprising destroyed Strongholds and Mills. That's baller.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 27, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Alright, I pulled the trigger on X-Files: The BG and Scoville tonight. Going to try to get a first run on at least one of them if not both tomorrow and see how they compare to my expectations / hopes. Trip report to follow!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have come to love FrancoTrash a lot more than Ameritrash, at least in terms of my two favorite games. I've never had the opportunity to play a Vlaada game; I would like to, some day.

I know one of them is Claustrophobia, what's the other?

I was bitten by a radioactive nerd when I was a kid so my origin starts with D&D, Magic, Warhammer, Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, etc. Kind of grew distant from the culture a bit but still liked games, played mostly video games. A few years ago, discovered Catan and modern games and got back into tabletop while also suffering from a short term Magic relapse!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If any of you guys that have an old copy of Betrayal and don't want it, I'll pay for shipping to take it off your hands!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

DirkGently posted:

Other possibilities (that I have not played but I have heard good things about): Ladies and Gentlemen: a silly team game about being a parody of a Victorian couple.

I love Ladies & Gentlemen but I think it'd only work if your group was willing to get into the spirit of it and adopt the persona of a bickering couple. Mechanically it's not amazing but it's hilarious fun when everyone plays as intended.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

alathar posted:

Just found Twilight Struggle for $20 at goodwill. I guess it's time to read about what makes this the #1 rated game on bgg. From what I've skimmed so far, I probably shouldn't read the cards so that I'm equally (un)prepared as whoever I find to play it with?

Personally, I'd recommend looking through the deck- if you're teaching it to someone then it helps if you have some idea of how the game is supposed to 'flow.' If nothing else you really, really need to be aware of Wargames.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So I'm taking my sister out with my girlfriend tomorrow night and I want to introduce her to boardgames at a local tabletop cafe. She's played stuff like TtR and Catan, but I'd like to introduce her to better games, I'm thinking a bit of dominion and 7 Wonders. Any other suggestions, she's not super nerdy, but I think she'd might go for some thematic games.

E: Here's the game menu

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 27, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

berenzen posted:

So I'm taking my sister out with my girlfriend tomorrow night and I want to introduce her to boardgames at a local tabletop cafe. She's played stuff like TtR and Catan, but I'd like to introduce her to better games, I'm thinking a bit of dominion and 7 Wonders. Any other suggestions, she's not super nerdy, but I think she'd might go for some thematic games.

E: Here's the game menu

Play something that you know well and can teach smoothly. Doesn't matter how good the game is if they're board shitless waiting for someone to read the rule book.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
I guess we're swapping 'getting into board gaming' stories now. Been gaming for a long time, mostly RPGs, things like munchkin and the like. Played Zombies!! and Betrayal at a friend's house once and even back then I had enough sense to hate those games for being random shitpiles. Also getting in and out of Magic the Gathering over the years. Whenever I would play games like this though I would always have a nagging feeling like surely this could be a little more fun, not drag as much and be more satisfying. Started learning about this 'eurogame' thing on SA threads and decided to have a go with Dominion.

Immediately after the first game my thought was essentially 'holy poo poo this is so much better than Magic it's not even loving funny'. One of my friends who played with us was a huge Magic nerd like 10 grand into the hobby and goes to tournaments and poo poo. After playing a few rounds of Dominion he went out and bought a set right away.

Couple of years later i'm angering my wife with a second bookcase purchase to support even more boxes full of printed cardboard and little wood cubes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Actually, looking back on it I forgot one of the first board games I ever bought with my own money back in the heady days of middle school was Robo-Rally.

Many a game was played amongst me and my friends. Not one actually went to completion.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Roborally is good provided you play with exactly 8 players, only one board, and only 2 or maybe 3 flags. Unfortunately the rulebook encourages you to play with 4 players, 2 boards, and 4 flags.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yea, I was like...15?...at the time, so of course me and my three friends thought it would be a great idea to play with literally everything you just said not to do, boards, flags, all the expansion cards (yes, I owned the expansion, why do you ask), etc.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is Machi Koro a good game for 2 beginners? And does it work solo?

It looks really cool and I am interested after seeing the talk about it.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

goodness posted:

Is Machi Koro a good game for 2 beginners? And does it work solo?

It looks really cool and I am interested after seeing the talk about it.

Played it 3 players at a meet up. Found it pretty simple. It's fast and probably really nice for introducing kids to boardgames, but I found the strategies limited. Would never play it solo. I was thinking about getting it to play with the gf since she likes shorter games, but even for someone new to games it's just a bit too random and easy.

Basically you buy cards numbered 1-12 and when you roll that number you get money, some cards get money when any player roll that number and some steal from a player that rolls that number. A few cards combo, like the cheese factory gives farms x2 money when you roll it. Both our games was won by the person who bought most of the best anyones turn cards.

How is d-day dice? Me and the gf played a lot of drunken balcony yatzee each time we where on vacation, she loves co-op games. Think this would be fun?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Roborally is good provided you play with exactly 8 players, only one board, and only 2 or maybe 3 flags. Unfortunately the rulebook encourages you to play with 4 players, 2 boards, and 4 flags.

Roborally does a good job of simulating my interest in Formula One racing - the potential for a cool pile-up right at the start, then hours of boredom where the winner has become clear.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kai Tave posted:

Y'know, I'm gonna be honest about it, I also played a few games of Fluxx around the post-college period of Arkham Horror and Betrayal and such, and compared to Munchkin I would play Fluxx any day of the week because at least Fluxx ends and ends quickly. Like yes, it's a game with no real depth at all to it and nothing in the way of strategizing, but as a "game you're playing because the host wanted to play something brainless as a sort of social facilitator" it's vastly better than Munchkin, less likely to reveal awkward and uncomfortable things about people you know like CAH, and doesn't require even the setup of something like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit.

I know three or four people are going to rush to tell me this is the essence of damning with faint praise which, no poo poo, but I still find Fluxx comparatively inoffensive next to what I suppose you'd consider its peers.

No you're entirely right Fluxx is a fun, decent filler game. It can drag on like Munchkin. The more people that are playing Fluxx the more "screw you" cards will be out there preventing the game from being won. A two player game often lasts no longer than 5-min, an 8-player game could drag forever. Most of the time it ends quickly though. People say that there is no excuse not to be playing Coup or Love Letter instead but meh I say Fluxx is on the same level :shrug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm kind of lucky with my board game beginnings. Though I played a lot of Risk in high school/college, my friend's girlfriend and her friend played a ton of designer board games during that time, so they started us off on Puerto Rico, which kicked off our big board game kick. I think the only big missteps were Fluxx (which we played one game of and dismissed) and Arkham Horror (which my friend still loves and honestly I don't mind playing either every once in a while, though he has Eldritch now so there's really no point anymore). I bought Catan early on after enjoying the first game I played, but that was kinda dull after a few more so we got rid of it. We really got into Dominion (we got a former MtG player into board games through Dominion) and it just expanded from there.

Though I still buy some duds every now and then (Panic Station, and though Machi Koro and Sentinels of the Multiverse are good for beginners I regret buying them, and god knows how much money I've wasted on various Thunderstone sets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I discovered board games through Betrayal at House on the Hill and Descent 1st Edition about 8 years ago. Cue months of trying to invite people over to play a sprawling dicefest dungeon crawl and getting that ridiculous "Road to Legend" expansion that nobody in their right mind would actually play to completion.