Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
also, if they are smart and fast crawlers, they might walk late because "screw it...that's hard and this is so much faster!" *scoot scoot scoot*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My older son didn't walk until nearly 15 months old, but when he did walk, he did none of the stumbly drunk walk that you associate with a new walker. He had chosen to wait until he was completely steady on his feet (and freaked out if we tried to push him before he was ready when he could clearly walk if tricked into it).

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I don't know how much its helped, but I got one of those sit-to-stand learning walkers and my 8 month old daughter loves to walk around pushing it. I also like to walk behind her with her while holding her hands. When I do it I start out using my hands as a sturdy support for her to hold on to, but weaken my support more and more as she walks. She just took her first very small un-aided baby step the other day.

Of course it could be entirely due to the whole "babies are different from each other" thing, but it couldn't hurt to try those things if you haven't already. This is the walker I got: http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Stand-Learning-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B0053X62GK

It has a "speed setting" so it doesn't roll too fast if she leans on it.

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
i've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself
Thanks everyone for all your input :) it's always nice to hear from other parents!

I'm not really worried about them being late really, but it does get tiresome having a group of friends with babies all born within a few months of each other and there's all this unspoken comparison going on. "Momolypmics" as someone put it earlier. I hate it! Plus every time my father-in-law comes to visit he has some sort of comment about how 'so and so's kid is younger and is already walking, what's wrong with these two' *eyeroll*

They were born 2 weeks early but their pediatrician says they've made up the time and she's not worried either so I guess I'll just have to learn to tune out the comments better!

Thanks again all!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

luna piena posted:

I'm not really worried about them being late really, but it does get tiresome having a group of friends with babies all born within a few months of each other and there's all this unspoken comparison going on. "Momolypmics" as someone put it earlier. I hate it! Plus every time my father-in-law comes to visit he has some sort of comment about how 'so and so's kid is younger and is already walking, what's wrong with these two' *eyeroll*

No matter the subject, there will be folks comparing their babies to yours. Now it's teething, crawling, walking, etc. Soon it will be talking, jumping, climbing poo poo. Later it will be math, reading, sports. People love to brag about their own kids while throwing shade on yours.

My oldest (now 4 and very verbose) didn't really talk until 2 1/2. His sister is following his path, and at 2 has some words that you can understand but for the most part is a mumblemouth. I've already started getting the raised eyebrows and anecdotal advice from others that I got with her older brother.

I've got three kids now, and I'm sure with the third we'll start getting those same bullshit comments, comparisons, etc. It just comes with the territory.

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
Haha tell me about it! It was the same even when we were all pregnant!

I am learning to ignore it though, hopefully by the time it's reading and sports they will just be white noise :)

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Just to add another comfort anecdata point, my son didn't walk till 16 months either. There were no stumbly attempts at baby steps, he went from crawling/cruising to full on walking at once. He is off the charts verbal, so he was busy learning words and talking and figured that physical stuff could wait I guess!

He took so long to start walking that I'd forget he could walk... set him down somewhere, walk to the other room quickly to get something out of a cupboard, turn around and AHHH! HE'S STANDING RIGHT BEHIND ME!

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

sudont posted:

He took so long to start walking that I'd forget he could walk... set him down somewhere, walk to the other room quickly to get something out of a cupboard, turn around and AHHH! HE'S STANDING RIGHT BEHIND ME!

I had a nightmare a bit like this once right before my son started walking. I was dreaming I was standing at the kitchen sink, and I turned around to see my son standing right behind me glaring at me. Then in perfectly formed adult speech he said: "I've been fooling you, daddy, I could walk and talk this entire time..."

Creeped me the gently caress out more than any other dream I've ever had.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is anyone else's kid batshit obsessed with Parmesean cheese or, as Sydney calls it, 'cheese powder'?

I don't remember liking Parmesean until I was maybe 20, but Sydney wants it on everything including oatmeal (this is where I draw the line). Yesterday I gave her a couple of strawberries after dinner and was disgusted to see her rolling them around in cheese powder from her plate, and happily eating it. I fear what I'm going to find in her diapers today.
This stuff is just dried cheese powder:
http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese-Hoosier-Hill-Farm/dp/B008GG9ZS8

My kid will eat sautéed spinach or brussels sprouts of probably straight up dog poo poo if you sprinkle two micro grams of cheese powder on it.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sudont posted:

Just to add another comfort anecdata point, my son didn't walk till 16 months either. There were no stumbly attempts at baby steps, he went from crawling/cruising to full on walking at once. He is off the charts verbal, so he was busy learning words and talking and figured that physical stuff could wait I guess!

That is exactly what happened the day my older son walked independently. He scared me half to death. He was/is also extraordinarily verbal and has fantastic fine motor skills, so his ped pretty much said they only do one major skill at a time and walking came after everything else to him.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Any time a kid just appears in a place you weren't expecting to see them, it's like children of the corn.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The funny thing my kid does now is since he sleeps in his crib with the front rail removed, he gets up in the middle of the night and comes bursting through our bedroom door like Matt Foley, shouting Mommy, up! Daddy, up! Arthur, up! Somehow carrying five or six stuffed animals at once, which he throws in our bed.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Will changing the nipple on a bottle change how frequently a baby spits up? I understand that it's mostly a thing to wait out, but it feels like my 5 month old is either playing with the bottle (if it's a slow nipple), or chugging too fast and half of it comes up (with a medium nipple). It doesn't help that he's rolling over or trying to attack his feet if he's sitting on a lap. I swear he's half-camel with the range of his spits.

While I'm posting about one kid, may as well post about the other: How do you encourage a child to actually tell you if they have to potty? He's only had accidents at naptime, but we still have to take him to the bathroom every couple of hours. If you ask him if he needs to go, he will say no and just keep playing. He has absolutely no issues telling us he's hungry (which is almost every hour).

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

McStabby posted:

Will changing the nipple on a bottle change how frequently a baby spits up? I understand that it's mostly a thing to wait out, but it feels like my 5 month old is either playing with the bottle (if it's a slow nipple), or chugging too fast and half of it comes up (with a medium nipple). It doesn't help that he's rolling over or trying to attack his feet if he's sitting on a lap. I swear he's half-camel with the range of his spits.

Definitely, the same thing happens with my daughter. She's 8 months old now and still using nipples rated for a 3 month old. We recently tried the 6 month nipple and she constantly stops after a few gulps and then milk pours out of her mouth.

Although it's only while she's drinking, it didn't seem to have any impact on her spitting up after she's finished a bottle.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

photomikey posted:

This stuff is just dried cheese powder:
http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese-Hoosier-Hill-Farm/dp/B008GG9ZS8

My kid will eat sautéed spinach or brussels sprouts of probably straight up dog poo poo if you sprinkle two micro grams of cheese powder on it.

This is awesome and great to know, thanks! Hopefully they ship this to Canada because I kinda want to try it myself.

On the walking issue - enjoy the inability to walk while you can. I wish I'd savoured those days of Sydney being unable to open the cabinet looking for 'cereal' only to find she's eating dry ramen noodles by the handful.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

McStabby posted:

How do you encourage a child to actually tell you if they have to potty? He's only had accidents at naptime, but we still have to take him to the bathroom every couple of hours. If you ask him if he needs to go, he will say no and just keep playing. He has absolutely no issues telling us he's hungry (which is almost every hour).

Google Amalah advice smackdown. She's answered tons of potty training related questions covering most aspects of the process, and she links to great sources, and the comment section is also filled with anecdotes and experiences. I'm pretty sure I've read a comprehensive and thorough answer to your exact question there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Apogee15 posted:

I don't know how much its helped, but I got one of those sit-to-stand learning walkers and my 8 month old daughter loves to walk around pushing it. I also like to walk behind her with her while holding her hands. When I do it I start out using my hands as a sturdy support for her to hold on to, but weaken my support more and more as she walks. She just took her first very small un-aided baby step the other day.

Of course it could be entirely due to the whole "babies are different from each other" thing, but it couldn't hurt to try those things if you haven't already. This is the walker I got: http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Stand-Learning-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B0053X62GK

It has a "speed setting" so it doesn't roll too fast if she leans on it.

We have this, which is ADORABLE as a tiny and madly grinning child pushes a cart of snapping crocodiles towards you.

Alexandra used the heck out of this, and Vivian just started using it this morning. Which is great, because that's going to save my back, because she was hanging on to my fingers to walk before.

sudont posted:

Yeah, this. One night, I woke up to the visage of my child staring at me from the bedroom door, quietly moaning at me. She was sick and wanted to lay down with us, but it was creepy as hell to wake up to.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is there a trick to handle excessive peeing? We use cloth with a cover and we are new all of a sudden going through clothes like crazy. Shes only a month old.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Very little goons (ones who are one month old) don't usually pee a cup at a time every 4 hours, they pee a tablespoon at a time every fifteen minutes. With disposable diapers you can leave them in a pee-y diaper for a couple hours and nobody is the wiser (the magic pee eating substance keeps them from feeling wet), but with cloth they are just sitting on a wet rag the moment they pee. Not getting pee to soak through to their clothes is just a matter of changing them more often (as soon as they're wet), which when they're young is approximately 100 times a day.

Also, getting the diaper cover over the cloth diaper is critical. The thing is waterproof - if you get it on right, they can't get wet outside of it. (I'm using the word "can't" loosely here, but you get my drift.

Any idiot can use disposable diapers, and there is a bit of a learning curve to cloth diapers. Stick with it, you'll get it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
We had 24 infant-size cloths and did laundry every day or every other day. That period goes pretty quickly though and have been down to 12 diapers and laundry every 2 or 3 days since around 6 months old.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Re walker-chat - they're really great, and if you don't have one in your house, it's definitely worth a try - it gives them more control over the situation, and since it sounds like yours want to make absolutely sure that they know what they're doing before they let go, a walker might help them with the transition from holding onto big solid pieces of furniture to walking on their own.

As for recommendations, I'll just quote myself from a few pages back:

Sockmuppet posted:

If you want to buy something, every Scandinavian child has one of these. This is her at 9 months.

Yes, that's beer. She's got to earn her keep!

The psychedelic AT-AT in the background was also helpful, she'd push it around while mashing the keys and boogeying along to Old Macdonald.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I'm trying to imagine Scandinavian Old MacDonald: "With a bork bork here, and a bork bork there..." *baby whips out and consumes a liver pate covered sheep's head*

That looks useful and my nephew should be walking in the next few months... But doing a little googling it seems hard to find a freestanding-baby walker like that in the US. There's a few plastic monstrosities, but without somewhere to put the beers (or glue a few weights) I imagine my 30 lb nephew just tipping them over. Plus where will he store the sheep's head?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

I'm trying to imagine Scandinavian Old MacDonald: "With a bork bork here, and a bork bork there..." *baby whips out and consumes a liver pate covered sheep's head*

That looks useful and my nephew should be walking in the next few months... But doing a little googling it seems hard to find a freestanding-baby walker like that in the US. There's a few plastic monstrosities, but without somewhere to put the beers (or glue a few weights) I imagine my 30 lb nephew just tipping them over. Plus where will he store the sheep's head?

We really really like the Radio Flyer walker wagon. It's heavy and harder to pull over than the plastic ones and it doesn't look as gaudy either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm not sure but we got two of those as gifts and I think they got them from IKEA.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm not sure but we got two of those as gifts and I think they got them from IKEA.

Yeah, that's an Ikea toddle-wagon: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40060836/
It gets extra awesome when they figure out they can turn it backwards and use it as a scooter. Whatever Mom, what if I WANT a head injury, ever think of that?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Fionnoula posted:

Yeah, that's an Ikea toddle-wagon: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40060836/
It gets extra awesome when they figure out they can turn it backwards and use it as a scooter. Whatever Mom, what if I WANT a head injury, ever think of that?

Hah, I split open my lip doing that exact thing on a plastic red wagon when I was like 4. Got a pretty good scar to this day from it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

We had this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WZNXBA/

But there are a bunch of different ones available on Amazon. My daughter liked hers a lot when she was learning to walk but got annoyed with it once she was able to walk on her own because it's hard to turn.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

skeetied posted:

We really really like the Radio Flyer walker wagon. It's heavy and harder to pull over than the plastic ones and it doesn't look as gaudy either.

Lots of good suggestions from people but this one wins, I'm totally getting it. Looks harder to use as an impromptu scooter and has room for dozens of sheep heads (I'm kidding, he's an American baby - it's going to be 50 Big Macs).

I grew up with a full-size Radio Flyer wagon, a steep 150 yard long driveway, and zero helmets. Used to stuff three of us into that thing. How we survived childhood is a mystery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Question about teething.

Does every tooth hurt when it's coming in? My daughter's about to get her 3rd tooth (1st top one) finally at 13 mos, and I can't imagine her going through this pain for every tooth that comes in :ohdear:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Question about teething.

Does every tooth hurt when it's coming in? My daughter's about to get her 3rd tooth (1st top one) finally at 13 mos, and I can't imagine her going through this pain for every tooth that comes in :ohdear:

It's different for each kid. My son was miserable the first few teeth, and then wasn't ever really more than a bit disgruntled about it for the rest. Until his molars started coming in, and he was miserable again. His adult molars are coming in now, and I pretty much would have had no idea from the way he acts, if I didn't see them myself.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BoyBlunder posted:

Question about teething.

First few were awful, all the rest including his molars were just a little crankiness and surprise night waking at worst. Most of them we wouldn't even know it was teething as opposed to just general wrong side of the bed-ness.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

Question about teething.

It can vary tremendously from child to child. In addition to that, some teeth hurt more than others (naturally, concidering some are slim and small and some have big surfaces), and unfortunately for you and your poor daughter, the older the kid is, the more it tends to hurt (according to our doctor, anyway).

My daughter got her eight front teeth very early without batting an eye, she only drooled a lot and wanted to gnaw at stuff. Then she got her first set of molars, and they bothered her more, and when she got all four of her eye teeth at once over Christmas (age 1,5), she was in obvious pain for a week, we bought the gum numbing gel from the apothecary for the first time, and even that didn't seem to make much of a dent in the pain for her. It was horrible for all of us.

Hopefully your daughter will have an easier time with the next teeth, and based on our experience, I hope they come in batches - I'd much rather deal with one bad week and then peace and quiet for months than constant low-level discomfort and upset from an on-going parade of teeth.

luna piena
Apr 7, 2006
We actually do have one of those walkers that you push along, but we don't really have that much space in the living room to move around freely, and it's always getting caught in the carpets :(
They seem to like it anyway though and sometimes fight over who gets to push!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Surprisingly ours haven't fought much over who gets to push, they're usually happy riding or pushing, except this week they both tried to get in and they kept falling out and eventually there was crying and screaming and the crying...

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
They are seriously cute. :3:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Re: creepy walking baby chat, I woke up recently to our 18 month old standing at the side of our bed, not saying anything, just staring. Turns out my wife had already been up for a bit to let him out but it weirded me out for a bit

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Re: creepy walking baby chat, I woke up recently to our 18 month old standing at the side of our bed, not saying anything, just staring. Turns out my wife had already been up for a bit to let him out but it weirded me out for a bit

my kid does that. little velociraptor can open her bedroom door. seriously creepy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
At 2am last night, my 2-year-old shouted out "Papa, open the door!" and I was more happy about his grammatically-correct and well-enunciated sentence than I was upset about him waking me up at 2am.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I use one of those light alarm clocks that slowly gets brighter about a half hour before you get up. There is also a button to turn the light on full brightness so you can use it like a bedside lamp. My toddler is well aware of the button and loves to come in and turn it on t let me know he is there and wants to come in the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
How do I keep my 2 year old from drinking bath water?