Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's a little soldering and chop chop that needs to be done; are you comfy with what they lay out for these? if so, hit it up, its a good project and deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

there's a little soldering and chop chop that needs to be done; are you comfy with what they lay out for these? if so, hit it up, its a good project and deal

yeah i think i could handle. its something ive been trying to get better at and probably just need to do more of. sweet. now i just gotta wait for the wife to find something that she wants that's ~$30

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

yeah i think i could handle. its something ive been trying to get better at and probably just need to do more of. sweet. now i just gotta wait for the wife to find something that she wants that's ~$30

two things of hand lotion or one thing of hair dye should suffice, if my books are to be trusted

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

two things of hand lotion or one thing of hair dye should suffice, if my books are to be trusted

oh poo poo you're right. she does this thing called birchbox which is like barkbox but for makeup/cosmetics samples and poo poo i should just tell her to get a full size of her favorite thing out of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mrs just re-subscribed to Graze and she's really excited :3: it's cute

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

mrs just re-subscribed to Graze and she's really excited :3: it's cute

i can't hate at all, i can totally understand. i get really irrationally excited when my $3 order from shenzhen shows up

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so since i did taxes and we are getting A LOT back, i convinced wife that we should each spend $100 on whatever the gently caress we want.

i want something for HF. either a ham it up, the kit I linked a few posts ago, or a proper SDR transceiver kit. but the peaberry one linked in the DIY thread is $150. oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnZsVajpkA

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
50 shades of graybeard

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
found a ham it up 'new never used' for $30 on qrz from a air force guy in italy. gonna see if he's still got it.

now i gotta think about antennas. idk what i want to get out of this thing anyway. besides my dual band stuff i have an old magmount cb antenna. should i just longwire it for now?

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 28, 2015

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

PuTTY riot posted:

found a ham it up 'new never used' for $30 on qrz from a air force guy in italy. gonna see if he's still got it.

now i gotta think about antennas. idk what i want to get out of this thing anyway. besides my dual band stuff i have an old magmount cb antenna. should i just longwire it for now?

you'll get more intermodulation interference if you use direct conversion (china full band radio) vs upconversion (ham it up)in my experience

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
how long is the wait time between a callsign expiring and when someone else can scoop it up because a callsign that was -made- for me is gonna expire very soon

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Korean Boomhauer posted:

how long is the wait time between a callsign expiring and when someone else can scoop it up because a callsign that was -made- for me is gonna expire very soon

E: https://ssl.qrz.com/vec

Renewals:
The FCC accepts renewals only when the license is within 90 days of expiration. Updates such as changes of address and replacement certificates may be ordered at any time.

If Your License Has Expired
Once your license expires, you have a two year grace period during which you may file for reinstatement. You may not operate (transmit) whatsoever once your license has expired.

After the 2 year grace period has passed, the FCC will cancel your license and make it available for reissue. If

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Palace of Hate posted:

you'll get more intermodulation interference if you use direct conversion (china full band radio) vs upconversion (ham it up)in my experience

nice. i shouldn't have too many issues with that either way. there aren't really any big sources of qrm around here tho.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
this will probably be the last ham thing i get to buy for a while cause we're squirreling money away for another kid. i guess thats why most hams are graybeards.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one thing to put on your list might be one of those qrp antenna tuners from china that are on ebay now

it will act as a bit of a filter, knocking down some of the worst IMD sources, and you can goof with antennas more without awful impedance mismatches rendering your stuff useless

just never forget that they never make antennas more efficient or better, they just reduce mismatch losses. and they need to always be as close to the feedpoint as possible, with very few exceptions

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

one thing to put on your list might be one of those qrp antenna tuners from china that are on ebay now

it will act as a bit of a filter, knocking down some of the worst IMD sources, and you can goof with antennas more without awful impedance mismatches rendering your stuff useless

just never forget that they never make antennas more efficient or better, they just reduce mismatch losses. and they need to always be as close to the feedpoint as possible, with very few exceptions

yeah, that and a couple pigtails should be enough for a while

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdFTwGv-CZY

watchin dis

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 28, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
lol i think i need to replace the battery on my lovely netbook that i use as a home jumpbox and packet terminal interface

root@KI6***:/etc# acpi -i
Battery 0: Unknown, 90%
Battery 0: design capacity 5400 mAh, last full capacity 2445 mAh = 45%

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
paper licenses are going away =/

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-paperless-amateur-radio-license-policy-goes-into-effect-on-february-17

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

that sucks. i gotta get mine laminated i guess.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
does that mean I don't have to find mine to go take the general exam

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so if i want to get a paper license i better act fast?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

so if i want to get a paper license i better act fast?

Under the new procedures, licensees will access their current official authorization (“Active” status only) via the ULS License Manager. The FCC will continue to provide paper license documents to all licensees who notify the Commission that they prefer to receive one. Licensees also will be able to print out an official authorization — as well as an unofficial “reference copy” — from the ULS License Manager.

can you print out the 'official authorization' right now? all i have seen is the one with REFERENCE COPY watermarked on it

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
The WTB recently stopped using distinctive paper stock to produce hard copy licenses and has been printing these on “standard, white recycled paper.” The Bureau noted that the distinctive paper stock it had used was six times more expensive than the plain recycled paper it now uses.

lol

i think mine was on cardstock now i gotta check

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dang jello this would be such a good starter station

vintage beef

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
drat I'd be down with that but I'm too far away

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

dang jello this would be such a good starter station

vintage beef

one of the local guys was telling another guy on the repeater he'd loan out his 'ancient' icom but the guy he offered to loan it to said he wouldn't have time to play with it. might ask him at the meeting on Monday. I sent that $500 digipeater link from the DIY ham thread to the club listserv and apparently it might actually get bought, lol.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

So how much study time should be dedicated to getting a basic license? Getting into radio is something that I"m really interested in but I've got so much poo poo going on right now I was wondering if I could do it during the semester or should it be something that I reserve for a summer break.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

faxlore posted:

So how much study time should be dedicated to getting a basic license? Getting into radio is something that I"m really interested in but I've got so much poo poo going on right now I was wondering if I could do it during the semester or should it be something that I reserve for a summer break.

find a phone app with the question pool and take a practice test each time you poo poo. if you don't know the answer offhand, look it up afterwards.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
I got technician and general with a few weeks of half hearted study for each while in school and going through practice exams online. Longest part of studying for the general was learning Morse code only to have the code requirement dropped a couple months after I took the exam

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
hamstudy.org 20 minutes a day until you pass tech. then move to 20 minutes a day on the general test until you pass it. then take both practice tests a few times and you're good. extra is hard, tech and general are easy.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the whole 'eliminate obvious wrong answers' strat works well too. it's very much a 'how good are you at taking tests' type of test if that makes sense

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

is anyone here a skywarn spotter? can't decide if that's a thing i'm wanting to do. it's kinda blizzarding here, but all the repeaters that are supposedly skywarn are dead silent.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ham club decided to buy that new repeater i found for $500 in the other ham thread. then they decided we should get two if we can and ppl literally started throwing hundred dollar bills at the treasurer. it was kinda weird.

paid my dues and threw in an extra $15 for the repeater fund...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
we might be able to get a repeater on top of a fire tower on the top of Thacker mountain which would be p cool. the county EMA guy was there and he's got approval to put it there it sounds like

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
possible echolink on the ole miss repeater. real glad I didn't miss this meeting there were a lot of hams there even a female and a guy I knew from college who I didn't know was a ham. good poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tahts tight dude, glad there was some interesting stuff going on.

I gotta find the right set to roll with out here, gotta make sure I dodge the EMCOMM whackers and the old men with 100k stations

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

tahts tight dude, glad there was some interesting stuff going on.

I gotta find the right set to roll with out here, gotta make sure I dodge the EMCOMM whackers and the old men with 100k stations

everyone seems pretty even keeled. like, one of the main reasons they went for a new one is because our current one is for reliability in an emergency, but that's really reasonable imo, because we do get tornado warnings multiple times a year, and that's when the
thing gets busy. but next meeting will be about HF antennas so it's a good mix

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh poo poo there's a god drat tunable IF filter in the R820t sdr stick

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/testing-built-filter-r820t-rtl-sdr/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yayyyyy i left my original sdr dongle back in AR but my new one is out for delivery
got one o them R820T2 ones off amazon, also a UHF adapter so I can plug it into the Big Antennas

overloadsville here we come hahahaha

e: i'm just a few miles from DIA so I expect really good results playing with ADS-B this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

yayyyyy i left my original sdr dongle back in AR but my new one is out for delivery
got one o them R820T2 ones off amazon, also a UHF adapter so I can plug it into the Big Antennas

overloadsville here we come hahahaha

e: i'm just a few miles from DIA so I expect really good results playing with ADS-B this time

u gonna put it on that tram you've got up in the air? i keyed up a 'peater ~30 miles away on my drive home last night and now I want to put one up on my roof. I can't even hit the 440 repeater from my driveway cause I'm kind of on the side of a hill

• Locked thread