Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait is Crazy Chocobo not already in Theatrhythm.

If no why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait is Crazy Chocobo not already in Theatrhythm.

If no why not.

It's DLC. You have to buy it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

corn in the bible posted:

sorry, i thought we were talking about games instead of jobs you have to pay for

I'm sorry you hate fun

Dubious posted:

If it was on Vita it would probably be much more tolerable. I got through about 9 hours of it, upgraded my phone and then found out square didnt put in the ability to migrate saves :effort:

If they put curtain call and dimensions on vita I could die happy

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I really liked the job system in Dimensions, pretty much everything else was ok but kinda forgettable, except for Alba who is terrible. It did make me realize I don't actually hate random battles completely as a concept, I hate random battles in modern jrpgs with (disc-based) load times and long flashy animations for everything.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Morden posted:

It's DLC. You have to buy it.
Is it at least a Battle theme so you can play it in Versus? It's probably Field, but I'm asking anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

fronz posted:

What's a midi chlorion

It's a kind of paradox.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is it at least a Battle theme so you can play it in Versus? It's probably Field, but I'm asking anyway.

It's a field, yeah.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Unfortunately most of the DLC I wanted was field so yeah no multiplayer on that. It's not just world map music though, the X-2 opening menu is "field", even the FF7 motorcycle race music was field which surprised me.

Also I found out the amazing menu music from the Theatrythm Vs screen is actually in FF Type 0, I am slightly more interested in the HD version now

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I've picked up a lot of the field DLC just because of the neat backgrounds they come with.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I don't know why they don't let you use field music in multiplayer, it's not like you're battling directly against the other player's party, why does it matter?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Suaimhneas posted:

I don't know why they don't let you use field music in multiplayer, it's not like you're battling directly against the other player's party, why does it matter?

They would have to add different effects from the Battle vs mode, you can't translate them all. Like imagine Judgement + the notes where you have to move up and down just giving you a string of MISS MISS MISS MISS for being a pixel off. plus I dunno how stuff like Variable Speed would work with the hold+move notes. I feel like they tried it, went "drat this sucks" and just cut it.

TurnipFritter posted:

I've picked up a lot of the field DLC just because of the neat backgrounds they come with.
It's true, that was a pleasant surprise when I picked up Balamb Garden. You actually walk around that circle pathway! I dunno why this impresses me!

I think KUON (X2 menu music) reused an FFX background though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's true, that was a pleasant surprise when I picked up Balamb Garden. You actually walk around that circle pathway! I dunno why this impresses me!

I don't have the DLC but I'm pretty sure it just reuses the background from Waltz For the Moon which also has you walk around Balamb Garden.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just beat Final Fantasy 3 in under 10 hours.

What an annoying game. Backtracking out the wazoo and random encounters every step, I can see why it didn't get brought over until 16 years later.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

I just beat Final Fantasy 3 in under 10 hours.

What an annoying game. Backtracking out the wazoo and random encounters every step, I can see why it didn't get brought over until 16 years later.

Which version? Because the remake is actually much worse than the original game in a lot of ways, including bumping up the random encounter rate and making encounters such a drat slog.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So I'm guessing that all the unique monsters in the Monster Arena in FFX all require you to have stupid high stats. I've been capturing monsters from Besaid/Kilika and he said I could fight them for free and in both cases I got stomped in one round. How many of the monsters are even worth fighting anyway?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Is Type 0 even good? All I know is it has battle kids and magic cards and that kind of sounds like FF8 and that turns me off, except for the magic card part because triple triad is the best.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I'm guessing that all the unique monsters in the Monster Arena in FFX all require you to have stupid high stats. I've been capturing monsters from Besaid/Kilika and he said I could fight them for free and in both cases I got stomped in one round. How many of the monsters are even worth fighting anyway?

A lot of them are the best way to acquire certain items and gear with specific abilities. At first most will wreck you though but that changes later. The best tip that I can give you is to make armor with both auto haste and auto protect. There is plenty of other good advice but that is the one universal constant imo.

Edit: Also get Anima asap and abuse him.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 27, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Overbite posted:

Is Type 0 even good? All I know is it has battle kids and magic cards and that kind of sounds like FF8 and that turns me off, except for the magic card part because triple triad is the best.

Type=-0 is good on PSP if you were a Japanese person who was able (And kinda still is) to play with other people and do the game together. As it stands, playing Type-0 solo is not the best experience because the game is not really balanced for solo play and it shows. However, the console versions are rebalanced for single-player optimization and I wouldn't doubt Tabata put more work into being a single-player team-based hack n' slash game. If you care about the story at all, it's not great, so yeah.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I recently finished Bravely Default so I decided to go play FF V, since I never have. I was wondering though, for the Blue Mage, is there any in-game way to know what monster abilities can be learned? In BD you have the Bestiary which sort of highlights the Genome abilities.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Overbite posted:

It is like most final fantasies where the first 3/4ths of the story is on the right track before it goes loco crazy literally-no-idea-what's-going-on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

irlZaphod posted:

I recently finished Bravely Default so I decided to go play FF V, since I never have. I was wondering though, for the Blue Mage, is there any in-game way to know what monster abilities can be learned? In BD you have the Bestiary which sort of highlights the Genome abilities.

As a general rule, if an ability has an animation and isn't a Black/White/Time spell, then it's blue magic. There's like, only a handful of exceptions and they're all endgame monster attacks.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah personally just truck a guide out.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/ff5/bluestrat.shtml

Despite the age of the site its still the best because it tells you which you can get in chronological order.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
Cross posting this from the Steam thread hoping to get a clear answer.

I have a question about Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2. I'm using DS4tool but the button re-mapping doesn't seem to be working with FF13-1. Are the controls hard coded? Nothing i'm doing seems to be working . The X O, square, and R2 buttons are all mixed up. Is there anything at all that can be done to make re-mapping work?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Which version? Because the remake is actually much worse than the original game in a lot of ways, including bumping up the random encounter rate and making encounters such a drat slog.

The DS version

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah personally just truck a guide out.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/ff5/bluestrat.shtml

Despite the age of the site its still the best because it tells you which you can get in chronological order.

Worth noting that the RPGC site's wrong about a couple of key spells. In particular, you can get Aeroga as soon as you get the sub, one of the random enemies around Moore uses it and IIRC so does one of the metamorphs (the one that turns into the fan? Feel free to correct me, little woozy today)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You can also get Flash on North Mountain by giving an Ether to those stone guys, which is crazy useful for the couple bosses between there and the Steamship.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

The DS version

Yeah the DS version is complete garbage. They bumped up the random encounter rate, gave enemies more turns than you do for absolutely no reason and put dumb limits on what classes you can change into. It's one of the few games where the Famicom original is easier and less poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

You can probably blame Tanaka for 3 DS

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
The Alexander fight with Hope in FFXIII is killing me. It's like I"m just relying on the RNG to give me a situation in which Alexander doesn't instakill Hope. It's basically Russian roulette with an Eidolon.

Edit: Got it on my tenth try with a sub-300 Doom counter :|

knockout fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 27, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've decided to start playing all the Final Fantasies in order cause I haven't played any of them since hating FFXIII back on its first release. I used to be a massive fan of the series and I'm interested to see how well the games hold up now that I'm used to games like Skyrim and Dragon Age. I started out with FFI:DoS and it was a real slog to start with. I'd forgotten how sucky grinding is. It took me a week to get through the first part of the game but as soon as I beat the Earth Cave everything started to flow really well and I breezed through most of the game in a day. These dungeons are so much smaller than I remember, ten years ago the Ice Cavern felt huge.

I understand the PSP version added another extra dungeon, what was it like?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rarity posted:

I've decided to start playing all the Final Fantasies in order cause I haven't played any of them since hating FFXIII back on its first release. I used to be a massive fan of the series and I'm interested to see how well the games hold up now that I'm used to games like Skyrim and Dragon Age. I started out with FFI:DoS and it was a real slog to start with. I'd forgotten how sucky grinding is. It took me a week to get through the first part of the game but as soon as I beat the Earth Cave everything started to flow really well and I breezed through most of the game in a day. These dungeons are so much smaller than I remember, ten years ago the Ice Cavern felt huge.

I understand the PSP version added another extra dungeon, what was it like?

grind-filled garbage

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Volt Catfish posted:

You can probably blame Tanaka for 3 DS

And for 3 in general.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

I've decided to start playing all the Final Fantasies in order

You might be in for a rough time of it. FF1 might be the best NES FF (though in context you'll appreciate what's in 3) but none of the games deviate terribly until 7. Five more games of about the same thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Skip to IV, just do it right now

I, II, and III are all not good, and III in particular is loving garbage

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Skip to IV, just do it right now

I, II, and III are all not good, and III in particular is loving garbage

II is even loving worse, god I hate that game

Also jesus christ Occ are you stalking me or something

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Whether the earlier games are worth it or not depends on what sort of stuff you like. If you enjoy mindless grinding, which I sometimes do, they're pretty good. I like II a lot myself, I is a great classic NES RPG, III is... eh, but it picks up later in the game when you have a lot of party options.

IV onwards are all sound though. I just finished playing through V for the first time about a week ago and it's one of my favorites.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

irlZaphod posted:

If you're playing the iOS version, IIRC all blue magic will have a certain symbol before the name. In the other versions, there is no symbol like that. The vast majority of blue spells will at least appear under !Control for easy experimenting and collecting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fungah! posted:

II is even loving worse, god I hate that game

Also jesus christ Occ are you stalking me or something

FF2 is the reason the Saga franchise exists and the iOS FF2 remake is far better than the FF3 remake because it actually made the game far less tedious instead of actively making it harder/worse. Plus you can still just wreck everything with status spells if you want to do so. Or grind Toad to level 16 then get a bunch of Genji gear and Masamunes for your party members via the Ice Sled mini game because there's a finite number of layouts the matching game uses and it'll just cycle through them, so if you note the layouts of each board's matches once it goes back to the first board again you can effectively clear it in as many or as few turns as you want.

Both are still terrible games while FF1 is ok but overall much easier since instead of just having one broken class (Black Belt) all the classes are stronger and you level much faster.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The remake of II owns, especially right after you play the remake of I, if you understand how the systems work. You don't even need to grind, just make sure to not run from battles unless it's a matter of survival and to Always Equip A Shield at low levels and you'll do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah I played the DoS version of FFII and I didn't mind it, as far as I recall it didn't even have stats lowering like the original did. At the very least, I remember trying the NES version and seeing "MIND down!" or whatever when I was using physical attacks a lot, and I never got a message like that in the remake.

The extra story bit at the end where you play as all the dead characters was kind of neat too even if it wasn't anything special.