Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Skunkrocker posted:

Okay I get that is their mindset... but... that doesn't make sense. If you're throwing a bone because of the awful Rumble you admit the Rumble was bad. If you're doing it because Raw shut down due to the storms you're going to piss off everyone who paid $9.99 or more to watch the Rumble last night. And then further more editing it you straight up admit the Rumble was bad rather than presenting your product as it was, so either way they know they screwed up and their solution to fixing the problem was to screw up more? I don't get it, I just don't understand. It's still pissing me off, like it's 12:30 at night and I'm still angry. I just... I gave this company my money, and this is what they did with it! They flushed it all away and gave away a major event for free! And it wasn't even the same, they actually changed what had happened, lying to everyone who didn't see it live! And I seem to be the only person who is upset about this! That I think has got me more confused than anything else, like why aren't you mad? They straight up just said to the whole world "We took your money, we don't care. We're going to purposely make Cena look good post being poo poo on and we don't care. We're going to give you a reason to not want to ever subscribe to the Network, an entire infrastructure that we have invested a poo poo ton of our stock in and we don't care. gently caress the stockholders, gently caress our employees, gently caress USA and our Network service providers, gently caress the Board of Directors, gently caress Philadelphia, gently caress everyone subscribed to the Network, and especially gently caress you because as one of our diehard fans said earlier you're all a bunch of retarded faggots who will continue to give us money as we bluntly show off how much we don't loving care. And for only $9.99 we are going to get our money's worth."
what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Under the vegetable posted:

That reminds me of the Patrice O'Neal story he told about writing for WWE. Stephanie fired him personally one day and he was like "ok sure. peace." and she allegedly continued calling him for weeks to remind him he was fired, because he just didn't care in the way she wanted him to.

Not only that, but she fired him on the private jet on the way back from a PPV, I believe. He was so apathetic about his firing, she called him shortly after the plane landed to remind him he was fired. Patrice telling that story was hilarious.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

NickRoweFillea posted:

im less angry at vince, creative, and roman and more angry that they have solid gold in people like bryan and ambrose and are too loving stupid to use it

That frustrates me too but they have a long history of underutilizing talents and now there's no WCW to jump to.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Under the vegetable posted:

The problem I have is yeah, it wasn't terrible. It was a solid midcard quality promo from a guy who has potential who should be working his way up the card. It was not in any way a promo I would expect from someone who is being crammed down my throat as the one to beat the one in twenty one and one.

I get that - but also, Brock Lesnar's promos are poo poo. He's a loving maniac and when he delivers a handful of lines, he's absolutely terrifying but he's not a great promo. That's why Heyman is there.

I'm not trying to make tons of excuses or anything, but the comparison in promo quality between Roman and Lesnar probably isn't very far off.

I think the only super over guy they could push as the new top dude (in Roman's place) who can also cut great promos would be Ambrose, though. Ziggler can be okay but I feel like he isn't consistent; Bryan is, again, a decent talker but doesn't really light any fires. I mean, I love Bryan and wanted him to win the Rumble last night but I think we can all agree he's not the best promo.

I'm bummed out on creative more than I'm bummed out on Reigns. I feel like that dude COULD be huge if he was given the time to learn and grow naturally, but he's just being pushed out there super quickly and I think it'll wind up hurting him more than anything else.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Speaking of 'stuff that cannot/isn't said', what bugs me about Roman and Bryan's promos is the ugly truth neither of them can say.

If Roman screws up? Doesn't get over? The crowd turns on him? He'll get chance, after chance, after chance, because he is the new golden apple of Vince's eye. He literally would have to make an effort to fail. See: Randy Orton.

Bryan screws up ONCE? Or is PERCEIVED to have screwed up by petty, stupid manchildren (ie HOW DARE HE GET HURT)? They try and shove him into the midcard so hard he ends up in China.

Opportunity doesn't really matter if it just keeps being handed to you to soothe a senile abuse victim's demons.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Okay I get that is their mindset... but... that doesn't make sense. If you're throwing a bone because of the awful Rumble you admit the Rumble was bad. If you're doing it because Raw shut down due to the storms you're going to piss off everyone who paid $9.99 or more to watch the Rumble last night. And then further more editing it you straight up admit the Rumble was bad rather than presenting your product as it was, so either way they know they screwed up and their solution to fixing the problem was to screw up more? I don't get it, I just don't understand. It's still pissing me off, like it's 12:30 at night and I'm still angry. I just... I gave this company my money, and this is what they did with it! They flushed it all away and gave away a major event for free! And it wasn't even the same, they actually changed what had happened, lying to everyone who didn't see it live! And I seem to be the only person who is upset about this! That I think has got me more confused than anything else, like why aren't you mad? They straight up just said to the whole world "We took your money, we don't care. We're going to purposely make Cena look good post being poo poo on and we don't care. We're going to give you a reason to not want to ever subscribe to the Network, an entire infrastructure that we have invested a poo poo ton of our stock in and we don't care. gently caress the stockholders, gently caress our employees, gently caress USA and our Network service providers, gently caress the Board of Directors, gently caress Philadelphia, gently caress everyone subscribed to the Network, and especially gently caress you because as one of our diehard fans said earlier you're all a bunch of retarded faggots who will continue to give us money as we bluntly show off how much we don't loving care. And for only $9.99 we are going to get our money's worth."

Cena had dueling chants Sunday night. This isn't Stalin erasing people from photographs. Calm down, dude. Take a walk. Jerk off. Anything.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
skunkrocker maybe take a breather for a while. they didnt edit anything aside from cutting entrances for time. not to mention one of the big selling points of ppvs is you see stuff live, everyone already knows what happened now so i dont think showing it to save a little face is gonna kill anyone

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Seams posted:

Weird how all the stuff about paying your dues etc etc go out the window for certain people.

where has roman paid his dues

electric funeral posted:

That frustrates me too but they have a long history of underutilizing talents and now there's no WCW to jump to.

join us in the NJPW thread

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bryan isn't the best promo but he can deliver a fiery underdog babyface promo really well and he's leagues ahead of Reigns who is only just above Jumpin' Jeff Farmer in promo skills.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

^ You got me.....mad now

Re:Skunkrocker, WWE is a brutally incompetent company but it is not as corrupt as you are claiming.

There is a huge difference!

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I can't really blame WWE for being gunshy about Bryan. I mean, what if he gets injured again? Maybe they think he is a ticking timebomb and don't want to go too big with him only to see him get hurt again.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

NickRoweFillea posted:

where has roman paid his dues

That's what I'm saying.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

DM Punk posted:

I can't really blame WWE for being gunshy about Bryan. I mean, what if he gets injured again? Maybe they think he is a ticking timebomb and don't want to go too big with him only to see him get hurt again.
remember when cena came back like two months ahead of schedule from surgery

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Seams posted:

That's what I'm saying.

oh, i am a big time dummy and misread you. sorry Seams

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

Cena had dueling chants Sunday night. This isn't Stalin erasing people from photographs. Calm down, dude. Take a walk. Jerk off. Anything.

Yeah, he had DUELING chants.
"Let's go Cena!" "Cena sucks!"

Instead, what do I hear on the replay of the match on USA? During where there was either a dueling chant or just straight boos is "Cee-naa! Cee-naa! Cee-naa!" like in a video game or something, which never happened that night, it was straight up inserted over the crowd audio.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

electric funeral posted:

Watch independent wrestling? There's a lot of it readily available on multiple website for streaming/download and tons that can be had via DVD?

Fiveace Attorney posted:

remember when cena came back like two months ahead of schedule from surgery
Which time?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NickRoweFillea posted:

im less angry at vince, creative, and roman and more angry that they have solid gold in people like bryan and ambrose and are too loving stupid to use it

freaking BNB is better than Reigns in every single aspect of being a pro wrestler and I don't even dislike Reigns

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gonz posted:

Not only that, but she fired him on the private jet on the way back from a PPV, I believe. He was so apathetic about his firing, she called him shortly after the plane landed to remind him he was fired. Patrice telling that story was hilarious.
Him telling that HHH was also pretty funny

Man now I'm sad that Patrice O'Neil is dead :smith:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cory Lidle posted:

Watch independent wrestling? There's a lot of it readily available on multiple website for streaming/download and tons that can be had via DVD?
Which time?

I think they're referring to there being no WCW to jump to for the performers, not the fans.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, he had DUELING chants.
"Let's go Cena!" "Cena sucks!"

Instead, what do I hear on the replay of the match on USA? During where there was either a dueling chant or just straight boos is "Cee-naa! Cee-naa! Cee-naa!" like in a video game or something, which never happened that night, it was straight up inserted over the crowd audio.

I like how they completely skipped the introductions too.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

no offense but youd have to be crazy to complain about them sweetening the tapes. i mean they left in all the massive boos and BULLSHITS and whatever else. do you really think anyone is watching those matches on raw and coming away with different viewpoints than the people who watched it live

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Phenix Rising posted:

I think they're referring to there being no WCW to jump to for the performers, not the fans.

Yeah. I regularly watch NJ and occasionally watch indie wrestling. I'm just lamenting the lack of a major US-based company with money behind it. It would be better creatively and for the wrestlers themselves.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Fiveace Attorney posted:

no offense but youd have to be crazy to complain about them sweetening the tapes. i mean they left in all the massive boos and BULLSHITS and whatever else. do you really think anyone is watching those matches on raw and coming away with different viewpoints than the people who watched it live

What's really hosed about it is how many times have they done this? This was the first time I've actually noticed actual piped in chants during a match, when else have they done it? Smackdown? Old pay per views on the Network? DVDs? I don't know!

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Skunkrocker posted:

What's really hosed about it is how many times have they done this? This was the first time I've actually noticed actual piped in chants during a match, when else have they done it? Smackdown? Old pay per views on the Network? DVDs? I don't know!

Superbrawl Saturday?!

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Skunkrocker posted:

uhhh they did it after literally one of the best rumbles ever in 92

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Fiveace Attorney posted:

that phoenix splash was loving gorgeous

He ate poo poo rly bad on it and came up fairly short. but it is a pretty move i agree

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Phenix Rising posted:

All the more reason we need to keep watching Lucha Underground until they can get above ground and become a competitor.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

take off the tinfoil hat and make some chicken pot pie

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

take off the tinfoil hat and make some chicken pot pie

I CAN'T! I spent all my money on buying beer and pizza for THE ROYAL RUMBLE! :cry:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Vince McStalin airbrushed Chris 'The Poison Dwarf' Benoit out of history.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Skunk I think you should maybe stop watching wrestling for a little while and reevaluate some things

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Skunk has seen the Ascension entrance too many times. Or, maybe, not enough times.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Skunkrocker posted:

Someone here wasn't alive when Saturday Night's Main Event was on the air.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

perhaps it was your choice of beer. i recommend steel reserve. the tall ones.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Fiveace Attorney posted:

uhhh they did it after literally one of the best rumbles ever in 92

What'd they sweeten there? I was actually at that Rumble but I was 9 at the time, so my memory is a bit fuzzy from what actual reactions were to what appeared on video.

I feel like I remember lots of boos for Hogan, or maybe that was just my friends and I totally giving up on him for being eliminated like a chump.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Phenix Rising posted:

What'd they sweeten there? I was actually at that Rumble but I was 9 at the time, so my memory is a bit fuzzy from what actual reactions were to what appeared on video.

I feel like I remember lots of boos for Hogan, or maybe that was just my friends and I totally giving up on him for being eliminated like a chump.

Hogan was booed massively for pulling Sid out of the ring. Subsequent airings placed loud obviously fake Hogan chants over it.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Despite my own leans, it seems like there's a non-zero chance the revolt could blow over for WWE more calmly than the initial reaction would suggest. Philadelphia is indeed Philadelphia and in fact is really more "northeastern smarks who traveled for the Rumble" than that. I took a quick look at the WWE Facebook page for response to this episode and it was largely positive, a lot specifically for Reigns; not having a crowd there and having Heyman's promo expertise in the end segment might've been a convenient blessing in disguise. Thursday should be interesting to see a 'neutral' crowd in action.

I should disclose I also thought the same possibility about Batista last year, so read this post at your own risk.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

I bought Yuengling for the Rumble because it's better. It was BYOB and you should have seen what the other guys brought. Croatian pilsners, nitrous ales, and SURGE! Holy poo poo by the way they weren't kidding, the Surge 16 ouncers taste just like you remember so... yeah.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

The heat against WWE at the Royal Rumble wasn't hot enough to melt steel, so how did it all fall down? Wake up and ask questions!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

I bought Yuengling

Well theres where ya went wrong!

• Locked thread