Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The perfect accompaniment for this alcohol-flavored candy!

I love beer with a passion but :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Radio Paranoia posted:

I love beer with a passion but :barf:

I've had them. They're surprisingly good, which in itself I found a little disturbing. I don't know that I'd purposely buy them, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jelly Belly has tons of alcohol flavors.

Pina Colada, Margarita, Strawberry Daiquiri, Mojito, etc...

They used to have one called Champagne Punch that was my all-time favorite as a kid, but they stopped making it for some reason.

Edit: I'm aware there's a plain-old "champagne" flavor, but the old champagne punch flavor was better. Though I'm sure one can make a reasonable facsimile from a champagne and a tutti-frutti, or something.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Jan 25, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

That seems like the perfect ingredient for a Bloody Mary/Caesar. (Oh god I want a Bloody Mary now)

Also, I had no idea Jelly Belly had alcohol flavors. WTF? How does Joe Camel get the smackdown for making smoking seem cool to kids, but a candy company can essentially say "hey kids! Don't margaritas taste good?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That seems like the perfect ingredient for a Bloody Mary/Caesar. (Oh god I want a Bloody Mary now)

Also, I had no idea Jelly Belly had alcohol flavors. WTF? How does Joe Camel get the smackdown for making smoking seem cool to kids, but a candy company can essentially say "hey kids! Don't margaritas taste good?"

Because you can order alcohol free margaritas? You can't really get tobacco/nicotine free smokes.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Blackface:
Painting your face pitch black
Painting your mouth area red in an exaggerated shape
Wear a suit and top hat since it is a minstrel comedy show

OK what else are we forgetting? Oh yeah, it's the twenty first century and blackface is racist as all hell. Good job illamasque.

Dunking donut in Thailand also had an advert like this.

However they apparently don't have blackface in Thailand so nobody cared a and the campaign was fairly successful. Also the model is Lebanese and not Caucasian.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: I'm aware there's a plain-old "champagne" flavor, but the old champagne punch flavor was better. Though I'm sure one can make a reasonable facsimile from a champagne and a tutti-frutti, or something.

Their website actually has 'recipes' so you can mix-n-match your favourite drinks from jelly beans:

Etc..

I guess they have a lab full of guys inventing new jelly bean flavours and they need to keep validating their jobs so they come up with ideas like this?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Their website actually has 'recipes' so you can mix-n-match your favourite drinks from jelly beans:

Etc..

I guess they have a lab full of guys inventing new jelly bean flavours and they need to keep validating their jobs so they come up with ideas like this?

Holy poo poo beer flavoured Jelly Bellies?

gently caress yeah.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

Counting down until some group of hipster jelly bean enthusiasts will start cranking out craft jelly beans that are hoppy as gently caress.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The beer jellybeans just sort of taste like a sweet bread IIRC

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Beer tastes like sweet bread so appropriate.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I've done this and it works quite well actually.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Because Jelly Belly doesn't sell alcohol. Joe Camel was a mascot for a cigarette company used to market cigarettes to kids. Jelly Belly has no interest in whether alcohol sales increase, so there's not really any reason to see alcohol flavored Jelly Bellies as part of a conspiracy to market alcohol to children.

There are some comparisons that can be made to candy cigarettes I suppose, but cigarette manufacturers actively participated in the development of the candy cigarette market as a way to market to children.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Not My Leg posted:

There are some comparisons that can be made to candy cigarettes I suppose, but cigarette manufacturers actively participated in the development of the candy cigarette market as a way to market to children.

When I was little they still had the ones that were bubble gum on the inside, and you could blow through it to make the powdered sugar come out of the end in a puff 'just like dad!'

My dad used to go through four packs of marb reds a day (!) and it's probably what will kill him.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Not My Leg posted:

Jelly Belly has no interest in whether alcohol sales increase

Funny you should say that, I got these just yesterday

Part of a marketing campaign for the aforementioned Jellybean wines. Though to be fair the Jelly Belly logo only appears on the candy itself, which makes me wonder if they knew what their candies were being used to market

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
Alcohol just doesn't have the same stigma tobacco does. You never hear people complain that root beet might make actual beer seem more appealing to kids, or that wine is held in high regard by society. Maybe it's just because all the moms who normally give a poo poo about that sort of thing are secretly alcoholics.

Anyways, turns out it's been almost 3 years since this happened. Where does the time go?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
When I lived in Phoenix, there was a big push for public awareness of the dangers of leaving your children unattended near your pool/not having a fence or gate around the pool because little kids were drowning like crazy. The radio ads, at least on the few hip hop stations I'd normally listen to at work, always featured someone describing the dangers of children falling into pools over an instrumental version of the Ludacris song Splash Waterfalls. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.

Not marketing, but really, what the gently caress?

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Gatekeeper posted:

The radio ads, at least on the few hip hop stations I'd normally listen to at work, always featured someone describing the dangers of children falling into pools over an instrumental version of the Ludacris song Splash Waterfalls. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.

That sounds amazing, and I need to find a recording of this, immediately.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Gatekeeper posted:

When I lived in Phoenix, there was a big push for public awareness of the dangers of leaving your children unattended near your pool/not having a fence or gate around the pool because little kids were drowning like crazy. The radio ads, at least on the few hip hop stations I'd normally listen to at work, always featured someone describing the dangers of children falling into pools over an instrumental version of the Ludacris song Splash Waterfalls. I don't know who thought this was a good idea.

Not marketing, but really, what the gently caress?

What the hell, Arizona? In Arkansas, it is mandated by law to have a fence or gate around a(n inground) pool.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Arizona is only interested in regulating your uterus.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Johnny Aztec posted:

What the hell, Arizona? In Arkansas, it is mandated by law to have a fence or gate around a(n inground) pool.

It is in AZ too, but only if a kid aged 6 or under is living in the home.
And just because it's mandated by law doesn't mean that people actually do it or know about it.

It's also illegal to leave your kids/pets in the car on a hot day and roast them, but every single summer here a dozen kids die anyway.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Part of a marketing campaign for the aforementioned Jellybean wines. Though to be fair the Jelly Belly logo only appears on the candy itself, which makes me wonder if they knew what their candies were being used to market

Why do you need to be 21 or over to try the non-alcoholic jellybeans? :confused:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

'Draft beer' seems extremely nondescript and general. What kind of beer?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Stoatbringer posted:

Why do you need to be 21 or over to try the non-alcoholic jellybeans? :confused:

Probably so they don't get complaints that they're marketing alcohol to minors.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Probably so they don't get complaints that they're marketing alcohol to minors.

The US is extremely puritanical about alcohol/tobacco and ads/promotions that can be seen as targeted to kids.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Phlegmish posted:

They can't just call it "beer," that's not how marketers think. Cheese chips are you loving kidding me? Get "blasted" in there somehow, goddamnit.

The answer is just "beer" though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Brach's jellybeans are kid jellybeans. Jelly Bellies are adult jellybeans. :colbert:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

The US is extremely puritanical about alcohol/tobacco and ads/promotions that can be seen as targeted to kids.

Europe both has stronger laws re: advertising to children and higher rates of alcoholism so I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sleeveless posted:

Europe both has stronger laws re: advertising to children and higher rates of alcoholism so I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

I think the point is "LOL AMERICA STUPID AMMIRIGHT?!"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Double helping of Burger King

The Virgin Whopper Promotion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Wl2auPUL4
Just bizarre, uncomfortable and all around lame.

Spongebob Squarepants commerical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5X4TSbGreA

This was only aired on children cartoon networks for their Spongebob movie toy commercials.

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

American Lager. They nail the flavor, but I'm not interested in nonalcoholic Budweiser candy.

Dr. Jamming
Apr 11, 2007

People are talking out there... and I hear it all.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Double helping of Burger King

The Virgin Whopper Promotion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Wl2auPUL4
Just bizarre, uncomfortable and all around lame.

Spongebob Squarepants commerical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5X4TSbGreA

This was only aired on children cartoon networks for their Spongebob movie toy commercials.

Supposed objectivity aside, I actually found the first one really interesting, I'm not sure what you were referring to about it being awkward or bizarre... That sort of cultural interchange just seems fun, although, to be fair, I have spent about an hour over the last couple days watching youtube videos of foreigners trying US foods...

The Spongebob one seems funny and fun. Spongebob has a lot of older fans/ parents watching and I'm pretty sure that even kids would "get it" and the square buns are pretty non-sexual.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I could understand getting an imperialist interpretation from an American crew going to a foreign nation and "imposing" their culture on the locals, but it's not the Opium Wars or anything, it's just asking people to try a burger.

I'm assuming McDLT got posted already but I can't get over Costanza dancing around with a gimmick cheeseburger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Dr. Jamming posted:

.., I have spent about an hour over the last couple days watching youtube videos of foreigners trying US foods

Weirdest sentence I ever read.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

swims posted:

Weirdest sentence I ever read.

Why? The reverse is extremely popular, even within American regions.
Also, if that's the weirdest sentence you've ever read here, you certainly haven't been around long.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
No. Actually think about that. A guy spent his free time watching videos of other people eat food. No matter the circumstances.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

swims posted:

No. Actually think about that. A guy spent his free time watching videos of other people eat food. No matter the circumstances.

If the guy is a celebrity that sentence becomes every experience I've ever had with Japanese TV shows

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The KFC advert in Australia that got pulled because of American backlash was a pretty good example of how multinationals have to work to some international (American) ideal of advertising.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIhf41ctkM (With commentary)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Dr. Jamming posted:

Supposed objectivity aside, I actually found the first one really interesting, I'm not sure what you were referring to about it being awkward or bizarre... That sort of cultural interchange just seems fun, although, to be fair, I have spent about an hour over the last couple days watching youtube videos of foreigners trying US foods...

The Spongebob one seems funny and fun. Spongebob has a lot of older fans/ parents watching and I'm pretty sure that even kids would "get it" and the square buns are pretty non-sexual.

The Hmong people in Thailand are a hill tribe discriminated against by the Thai government but tolerated because of their tourist value. Specifically that tour companies exist to take tourists up to hill tribes and watch the people dance and weave and throw petals in the air and so on. They're discouraged from doing anything unorthodox like "going to school" because they're needed in these bizarre human zoos. This is just a continuation of that - LOL look at the child-people trying to eat our food! Take photos!

The Romanians in full national dress who didn't understand how to eat meat between loving bread despite apparently living a two minute jog from a McDonalds was some Borat level of offensiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

Blackface:
Painting your face pitch black
Painting your mouth area red in an exaggerated shape
Wear a suit and top hat since it is a minstrel comedy show

OK what else are we forgetting? Oh yeah, it's the twenty first century and blackface is racist as all hell. Good job illamasque.

Dunking donut in Thailand also had an advert like this.

However they apparently don't have blackface in Thailand so nobody cared a and the campaign was fairly successful. Also the model is Lebanese and not Caucasian.

Because East Asia never had a culture of "lets enslave Africans!" like the USA, other former European colonies, and former European colonial powers had, the taboo of blackface (esp. the minstrelsy shows that were popular 100+ years ago) just doesn't exist over here. If someone wanted to dress up as an African they'd probably do blackface because "hey, it's fun to dress up as other cultures... this is how I saw it in some pictures" and not even think about how potentially offensive it is. Asia has their own racism, but it's mostly just xenophobic or religious. Japan still clinging onto the Nazis on the other hand...

The lipstick/eyeshadow combo on the second picture is the real advertisement tragedy IMO.

E: devil's advocate post: If it weren't for the outfit, I could have passed off the first picture as "Asian woman dressed and painted both completely white and black" and wouldn't have cared. But the bow tie-tophat combo is too uncanny to be accidental. The second picture doesn't seem necessarily blackface-inspired, they just went with the charcoal theme and it turned out tragically uncomfortable looking.

Backweb has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jan 27, 2015