Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Joementum posted:

What his campaign is most worried about is that he can't be on the KY Senate and President primary ballot at the same time.

This is why I love you Joementum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

FAUXTON posted:

Welcome to my world since the first time I saw that pop-eyed motherfucker.
If you discovered this please spam it out to the hot-takes political blogs and sassy nightly shows of the world. It needs to be a thing that follows him like Santorum's santorum problem and Mitt's roof-dog.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

shadow puppet of a posted:

If you discovered this please spam it out to the hot-takes political blogs and sassy nightly shows of the world. It needs to be a thing that follows him like Santorum's santorum problem and Mitt's roof-dog.

Rand's got a much more pressing problem of "dudes in white hoods" following him around.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ErIog posted:

Rand's got a much more pressing problem of "dudes in white hoods" following him around.

Yeah but 'dude looks like a toy phone' would hurt him in a republican primary.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah but 'dude looks like a toy phone' would hurt him in a republican primary.

On the other hand, he did appear at Howard University and condescend to the students with an absurdly cherry-picked history of the 20th century v:v:v

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ErIog posted:

Kentucky state law won't allow you to be on the ballot twice in that situation. Rand needs a state law passed in order to allow him to keep his senate seat while running, and the GOP-controlled state legislature hates his guts. They already told him to get bent about a year ago when he asked nicely if they'd pass the law for him.

That's why Rand running is such an interesting question. If he gives up his senate seat while running for president then we know for certain he's not a grifter in the same ilk as his father just using the GOP primary to drum up his national fundraising.

Haha! Did not know that. Fair play, Kentucky. So he's got to wait until the Senate race and the presidential race are not aligned.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

FAUXTON posted:

A Fisher-Price toy telephone wearing a rug. That's pretty close.

Okay your powers of observation are very good.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Rand Paul: a figure who for some reason elicits trust from millennials, a man you feel as if you can confide your innermost secrets to.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

sullat posted:

Haha! Did not know that. Fair play, Kentucky. So he's got to wait until the Senate race and the presidential race are not aligned.

He'll bee too old when that happens, with a good chance he would lose the Senate before then due to everyone in Louisville, Lexington and N. KY hating his guts.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1i9qLUgPY

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If KY elects a republican governor couldn't they just run some dude as a proxy, have him resign, then appoint Paul? I was going to look up KY's special election laws but then I saw the guy who started fark.com is running for governor and decided I'd pack it in for the night.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Rand Paul: a figure who for some reason elicits trust from millennials, a man you feel as if you can confide your innermost secrets to.

Is it because when you talk to him he just tells you whatever you want to hear?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

FAUXTON posted:

Is it because when you talk to him he just tells you whatever you want to hear?

From what I hear this was why he got such a good reception when talking at Cal. He just talked about the NSA and overseas drone strikes; he'd probably have gotten run out of town if he'd said "oh I'm fine with drone striking domestic shoplifters" or taking after dear old dad and talking about how the Civil Rights Act was the greatest infringement on property rights in American history or how the American Disabilities Act is unfair to businessmen or poo poo like that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lockback posted:

If KY elects a republican governor couldn't they just run some dude as a proxy, have him resign, then appoint Paul? I was going to look up KY's special election laws but then I saw the guy who started fark.com is running for governor and decided I'd pack it in for the night.

There's no need for this sort of complicated scheme. The Kentucky primary isn't until May 17, so Rand just doesn't put himself on the presidential primary ballot for that one state. It's only a problem if Kentucky somehow would be the edge between winning and not, which is even more unlikely than him being in contention in the first place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

From what I hear this was why he got such a good reception when talking at Cal. He just talked about the NSA and overseas drone strikes; he'd probably have gotten run out of town if he'd said "oh I'm fine with drone striking domestic shoplifters" or taking after dear old dad and talking about how the Civil Rights Act was the greatest infringement on property rights in American history or how the American Disabilities Act is unfair to businessmen or poo poo like that.

My fischer price chatter phone told me the coolest poo poo.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

From what I hear this was why he got such a good reception when talking at Cal.

Ftfy

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

He'll bee too old when that happens, with a good chance he would lose the Senate before then due to everyone in Louisville, Lexington and N. KY hating his guts.

He'll be 57 in 2020, that's not too old. The second part though, yeah.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Titus Sardonicus posted:

He'll be 57 in 2020, that's not too old. The second part though, yeah.

Yeah, but in 2020, he'll be challenging an incumbent President - either a member of his own party (which straight-up isn't gonna happen) or he'll be running against an incumbent Hillary (which sounds like one of the most up-hill things you can do). Yeah, I suppose the incumbent President could really be on the hook if a lot of bad poo poo goes down 2016-2020, but realistically Presidents have been really good at getting reelected in modern times.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rand's seat is pretty safe should he choose to defend it

this ain't pennsylvania: the big cities are not big enough to outvote the countryside by themselves. If he holds Covington, the Pennyrile, the outer Bluegrass - all areas where his numbers are okay-to-good - and maintains some minor toehold in the mountains. he is fine.

I'm afraid america is stuck with Senator Rand Paul for a good while, barring some unexpected shenanigans in the Presidential race.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Thank you Breitbart

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Thank you Breitbart

I can't tell if this picture is pro or anti-walker. Scott Walker should have listened to his mothers warning about the wind changing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's no need for this sort of complicated scheme. The Kentucky primary isn't until May 17, so Rand just doesn't put himself on the presidential primary ballot for that one state. It's only a problem if Kentucky somehow would be the edge between winning and not, which is even more unlikely than him being in contention in the first place.

Actually, he's got an even better plan: he's trying to convince the KY GOP to opt-out of the primary and run a Presidential caucus convention instead. Since that won't be administered by the state, it won't run foul of the ballot law. Parties can do this, since it's up to them what type of selection process they run for nominations, so it has a decent shot of working. It still doesn't solve his general election problem, but that's not really his biggest general election problem anyway.

His campaign has also said they're considering suing the state and arguing that the KY election law interferes with federal administration of elections. This is a decent argument, except that it runs counter to Rand's entire political philosophy.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

His campaign has also said they're considering suing the state and arguing that the KY election law interferes with federal administration of elections. This is a decent argument, except that it runs counter to Rand's entire political philosophy.

Hypocracy is the mark of Executive leadership. I don't think Rand has any political philosophy apart from gently caress you, hail Rand.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, but in 2020, he'll be challenging an incumbent President - either a member of his own party (which straight-up isn't gonna happen) or he'll be running against an incumbent Hillary (which sounds like one of the most up-hill things you can do). Yeah, I suppose the incumbent President could really be on the hook if a lot of bad poo poo goes down 2016-2020, but realistically Presidents have been really good at getting reelected in modern times.

drat it, you're right and I'm loopy. I was half asleep and a quarter lucid when I made that response, my bad.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Daily Show took on Iowa

http://www.hulu.com/watch/742649

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

FAUXTON posted:

god dammit

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FAUXTON posted:

A gif flipping between those would make a great avatar. :allears:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Boring guy starts committee

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/27/scott-walker-2016_n_6556220.html

quote:

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker announced Tuesday that he formed a political organization to help boost a potential 2016 presidential run, the first concrete step toward a possible campaign that comes as others are also ramping up efforts to seek the GOP nomination.

The tax-exempt group, Our American Revival, was formed on Jan. 16. Walker's campaign issued a statement Tuesday to The Washington Post announcing creation of the committee.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 27, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Thanks to that cspan feed I've cleaned up the speech and put it in a format my markov bot understands. Be on the lookout for @palin_ebooks tonight!

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
To me, Rand Paul looks like the love child of Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

badatom posted:

Cannot unsee :captainpop:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Necc0 posted:

Thanks to that cspan feed I've cleaned up the speech and put it in a format my markov bot understands. Be on the lookout for @palin_ebooks tonight!

You are doing God's work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

badatom posted:

Oh that one's better.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I thought that candidates and their related PACs cannot be actually connected. In other words, why would Christie or Walker announce the creation of a PAC if they are not supposed to know what the PAC is doing?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lockback posted:

Joementum posted:

Actually, he's got an even better plan: he's trying to convince the KY GOP to opt-out of the primary and run a Presidential caucus convention instead. Since that won't be administered by the state, it won't run foul of the ballot law. Parties can do this, since it's up to them what type of selection process they run for nominations, so it has a decent shot of working. It still doesn't solve his general election problem, but that's not really his biggest general election problem anyway.

The republican party hates Paul however, mostly because they belong to McConnell who brings home the bacon for the state (which is what really matters). Basically Paul is hosed unless he wants to sue which wouldn't look all the good for him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

The republican party hates Paul however, mostly because they belong to McConnell who brings home the bacon for the state (which is what really matters). Basically Paul is hosed unless he wants to sue which wouldn't look all the good for him.

That's why I posted the solution I did: he just ignores the Republican presidential primary in Kentucky, which is likely to be irrelevant. He doesn't need the party's help to do that.

Also, definitely Iowa, possibly New Hampshire, and maybe even South Carolina will have voted by the time he has to register for the Kentucky primaries (Tuesday, January 26, 2016). He'll have a much better picture of how realistic his chances are by then.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I thought that candidates and their related PACs cannot be actually connected. In other words, why would Christie or Walker announce the creation of a PAC if they are not supposed to know what the PAC is doing?

They're not candidates yet, they can hand the reins off at a later date.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Well, a treasurer for the PAC nominally has legal authority over the PAC. In reality, the PAC is what you use to get another 10k in contributions from an individual while trading those contributions with another PAC for someone else's donations.

Say I know a guy who owns an insurance brokerage downtown, married with 2 kids, who wants to give me all the loving money he can without the work of going through creation of a SuperPAC. He can max out, his wife can max out, his kids' trust can wire me their double maxes, and then he can repeat his giving by contributing to my candidate PAC, and I'll trade four doublemax checks for four singlemax from a friend's PAC and three singlemax from someone in Iowa I want to influence.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I get hard just looking at all that free speeching

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove