Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WickedHate posted:

Mighty Avengers is totally bullshit. It does feel like forcing a bunch of black characters onto a seperate team of their own. It wouldn't even be so bad if it was it's own thing instead of an Avengers spin off team.

I think almost any retailer will tell you that it isn't bullshit. I've seen a few pull lists that consist only of Ultimate Spider-Man and Mighty Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

I think almost any retailer will tell you that it isn't bullshit. I've seen a few pull lists that consist only of Ultimate Spider-Man and Mighty Avengers.

I'm just saying, it could be better done. Handled better.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Not really. I straight-up enjoy it more than Hickman's books.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
The fact that the Mighty Avengers has become the Black People Avengers So They Don't Have To Bother The Largely Lily-White Avengers does kind of suck. It's okay, we can all admit that.

That doesn't mean it's not a brilliant, fun, enjoyable book.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Sunspot like the only non-white dude on the main Avengers right now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure that's a complete coincidence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Captain Universe and Nightmask are both black. The Hulk is green.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Hulk is just a white guy in greenface and you know it. He should be ashamed of himself.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Sunspot like the only non-white dude on the main Avengers right now?

Nightmask, Captain Universe, Captain Falcon, Shang-Chi

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also, current owner of AIM. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

The Hulk is just a white guy in greenface and you know it. He should be ashamed of himself.

You can't prove that!

Codependent Poster posted:

Nightmask, Captain Universe, Captain Falcon, Shang-Chi

Also Manifold and Ex Nihilo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Black Panther sure gets a lot of screentime, too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like Hyperion but think it would have been cool to have had Blue Marvel fill that spot as the other God-tier Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PaybackJack posted:

Meh, I lived in North Carolina and stuck my foot in my mouth plenty of times when it came to racism because I grew up in Oregon in a class with literally 1 black kid. There's a long history in the south of things that are racist that we never knew about on the west coast. The racism I encountered growing up was with Mexicans not blacks. Can't speak on behalf of black people, but I really don't think my black friends would have been offended by this, but if they think it is then that's good to know and let's not do it for that reason.

With Miles in 616 it is an almost certainty he'd need to change his name, it's believable that if the public(in 616) saw him swinging around with Spider-Man they would call him Spider-Boy based on the size difference. You could also argue they'd call him Kid Spider, Spider-Kid, New Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, but the name change makes sense were the worlds to collide and it has nothing to do with being racist. I don't think people in the 616 would stop and go "Wait, what if he's been called 'man' before and now we're demoting him to 'boy' and what if, because he's black we're also being racist?" Clearly if this is offensive enough to a couple people in this thread, then it's probably best to not go that route specifically for those reasons as there would probably be a large outcry of negativity on it in the mainstream if they did.

It is an interesting question though of what would/will they call him when he joins 616. They really seem to hate having 2 characters with the same codename running around at the same time.
Did you literally just defend yourself by refering to "My Black Friends."

And in answer to your question, they should call him Spider-Man. If they kill Kaine (which I hope they don't) Scarlet Spider would be okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Black Panther sure gets a lot of screentime, too.

He's on the other team though, not the Avengers proper right now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

He's on the other team though, not the Avengers proper right now.
Well, I know that, but everyone's all splintered into factions anyway. He's still key to Hickman's Avengers titles, even if he isn't officially card-carrying at the moment.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

He is not and that is an insensitive thing to say about him.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Miles should be Spider-Guy, and Pete Spider-Dude.

Then they get together Spider-Bud and Spider-Bro, and sit around and play Goldeneye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Miles should be Spider-Guy, and Pete Spider-Dude.

Then they get together Spider-Bud and Spider-Bro, and sit around and play Goldeneye.

Pete seems like he is an Oddjob kid of guy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Skwirl posted:

Did you literally just defend yourself by refering to "My Black Friends."

And in answer to your question, they should call him Spider-Man. If they kill Kaine (which I hope they don't) Scarlet Spider would be okay.

No, I was stating that if I was wrong I'd be fine being corrected by them. I was not using them to advocate my stance of being in the right.

They can't/won't call him Spider-Man as long as Peter Parker exists and is able to be Spider-Man. That's not happening. Thor is only not Thor because he's not worthy currently. Diddo for Captain America. There could be overlap between them but it would be temporary and everyone would just be waiting for the inevitable return of Peter with the name.

bobkatt013 posted:

Pete seems like he is an Oddjob kid of guy.

Johnny is clearly the Oddjob guy. Peter is the guy forced to use the klob and then mocked or being unable to beat Johnny.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 27, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PaybackJack posted:

No, I was stating that if I was wrong I'd be fine being corrected by them. I was not using them to advocate my stance of being in the right.

You aren't in the right.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Skwirl posted:

You aren't in the right.

I worded that poorly. I wasn't trying to imply I was in the right. Let it go in the thread. I stated I am not the one who'll be offended by it and if others are then not using that term is then that's cool with me. If you want to write some words on why you strongly believe I'm in the wrong and I don't understand your position, feel free to PM me. It's a derail at this point so let's move it there.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

So any guesses on how Marvel will make Johnny Storm black in time for the new FF movie this summer?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Goon posted:

So any guesses on how Marvel will make Johnny Storm black in time for the new FF movie this summer?
They're canceling the FF comic anyway so I wouldn't worry about what they think about a Fox movie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Goon posted:

He burned too hot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The FF retire after the whole Incursion poo poo and go live simple lives, meanwhile, coincidentally, one of the Battleworld dimensions has a different FF with a black Johnny ready to step up to the task. Incidentally they don't have a Thing so the X-Men just let them borrow Rockslide.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

He burned too hot.

I think this is what they actually did for Electro.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think this is what they actually did for Electro.

It is. Electro absorbs too much electricity and oh so conveniently comes out looking exactly like Jamie Foxx in ASM2.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Urrrgh corporate synergizing is the worst.

Except when it isnt.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The FF retire after the whole Incursion poo poo and go live simple lives, meanwhile, coincidentally, one of the Battleworld dimensions has a different FF with a black Johnny ready to step up to the task.
I would be completely unsurprised if that happened and I basically expect something like it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SynthOrange posted:

Urrrgh corporate synergizing is the worst.

Except when it isnt.

The, like, five or so issues where Mystique had scales.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so I'm not 100% current with the latest issues, and maybe this is a loving retarded question, but can someone explain to me the Avengers/Incursion storylines and how they intersect with the Axis storylines, specifically why the gently caress Stark is in a prison in the Avengers, but in the Axis tie-in stuff, he's in San Francisco selling Extremis and is totally evil, but the incursion stuff makes it sound like he's been in prison and missing for quite a while.

I may have missed a "this poo poo happens a few years down the road" thing maybe but it confused the poo poo out of me since I basically wait like every 3 months to binge on comics and now I'm confused as poo poo since I just started reading the Axis stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

I may have missed a "this poo poo happens a few years down the road" thing
This poo poo happens a few months down the road. (8 months, specifically.)

Specifically, everything going in Avengers/NA right now (since Avengers #35 & NA #24) takes place after everything else in every other Marvel title.

Also just ignore Axis like everyone else.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 28, 2015

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Reading Nova makes me so sad lately with Sam dealing with his memory loss issues along with a villain like carnage knowing his secret identity. It's still great, but I just hope the kid can catch a break soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So... carnage is back? And a villain again?

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

So... carnage is back? And a villain again?

Yep, Carnage is still around and evil.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On one hand heroic Carnage was hilarious, on the other who read Axis.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

On one hand heroic Carnage was hilarious, on the other who read Axis.

Not even Sam read Sixis and he was in it. He called it "Secret Inversion".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
His dad getting home will make things slightly better for sure.

So... Pym totally got movie-synergized, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

His dad getting home will make things slightly better for sure.

So... Pym totally got movie-synergized, didn't he?

That depends. Does he have a beard in the movie? That's the only thing that happened to him.

• Locked thread