Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

:catstare:

Uh, for this analogy to work, your friend would actually have to believe that a cabal of Jews holds the world's power.

Even if they pull all the strings, that doesn't make them the "dominant race" when they are so numerically outnumbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

QwertyAsher posted:

It could be that, or it would require his friend to believe white men aren't the people with the most power in society

Let's be honest, anyone willing to create something like that is the same sort to deliberately separate indistinguishable western "Jews" from general "Whites" in the first place. Even if you want to pretend every Jewish person is some sort of superhuman lawyer/doctor/banker/lobbyist hybrid, the demographic numbers don't stack up.

And we've seen some examples in Israel (Depo-Provera for Ethiopian Jews, separate regard for Arabic Jews) that show prejudice along color lines can be stronger than the bonds of a common religious identity, so it's apparently a pretty frail cabal (Kaball??) if they're actually secretly controlling the world.

e: beaten by an americant

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

C'mon man, we were good friends. Don't make me unfollow you.

And the best part is, they're doing this in retaliation a plugin that substitutes "SJW" and "hipster" for "skeleton" and "goblin."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Dark One posted:

And the best part is, they're doing this in retaliation a plugin that substitutes "SJW" and "hipster" for "skeleton" and "goblin."

That's the only thing that could possibly make Reddit readable, to be honest.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's the only thing that could possibly make Reddit readable, to be honest.

The other good one is the plugin that turns "the cloud" into "my butt."

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cloud-to-butt-plus/apmlngnhgbnjpajelfkmabhkfapgnoai?hl=en

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Dark One posted:

And the best part is, they're doing this in retaliation a plugin that substitutes "skeleton" and "hipster" for "skeleton" and "goblin."

I highly recommend the skeleton plugin.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Good lord do a lot of internet manbabies hate Anita Sarkeesian. I mean they really really HATE her. It blows my mind.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's incredible how much hate she gets even from people that seem otherwise reasonable. I know a guy from another site who's very liberal, thinks everyone in Gamergate is a bunch of stupid sexist shitheads, and he still went off on how Anita Sarkeesian is dumb and terrible and should stop making videos (while saying that anyone who gives her death/rape threats is even worse). It kind of took me by surprise because unless you buy into the whole Gamergate mentality what else is left to hate her for?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Good lord do a lot of internet manbabies hate Anita Sarkeesian. I mean they really really HATE her. It blows my mind.

The amount of sheer frothing hate she inspires is, to my mind, the single biggest indicator that she might have a point worth listening to. If she were simply wrong she'd be a laughingstock, like Jack Thompson. Instead we get the horror show we have now.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's incredible how much hate she gets even from people that seem otherwise reasonable. I know a guy from another site who's very liberal, thinks everyone in Gamergate is a bunch of stupid sexist shitheads, and he still went off on how Anita Sarkeesian is dumb and terrible and should stop making videos (while saying that anyone who gives her death/rape threats is even worse). It kind of took me by surprise because unless you buy into the whole Gamergate mentality what else is left to hate her for?

I think on a critical level her arguments are not well supported, although the production values in her videos are very good. I don't see how you could hate her unless you were a goony game guy who felt threatened by the fact that someone was criticizing the video games you are always mad at anyway.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'll concede, her videos are kind of Feminist 101 sorta stuff and not really thought provoking but your friend seems to be really sensitive to a lady on the internet having opinions (even if he himself thinks Gamergate is dum.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
My buddy is extremely critical of her and her ghostwriter, mostly because they're colossal shits regrettably often. Most recently, he said in response to the Charlie Hebdo attack that he does not stand with Charlie, because he doesn't approve of using his free speech to mock the marginalized in society. As nice as it is to have a woman giving feminist perspective on video games, can we get a different feminist?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

The Virginia abolitionist Moncure Conway, noting Jefferson’s enduring reputation as a would-be emancipator, remarked scornfully, “Never did a man achieve more fame for what he did not do.”

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

:catstare:

Uh, for this analogy to work, your friend would actually have to believe that a cabal of Jews holds the world's power.

So you're not disagreeing with that definition of racism, just the idea that Jews wield a lot of power in the world?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Salvor_Hardin posted:

C'mon man, we were good friends. Don't make me unfollow you.

I wanted to get out that DBD where Muir replaces the text of an article about rapists with jews and tries to play it as "People who want to stop rape are the REAL nazis", but its way too far back to find it on the Politoons thread, and Muir made his own archiving system so its one of the worst I've ever seen, so I'd have to go through them one by one, and gently caress that with nails.

Anyway, my point is your friend has reached Muir levels. Sever.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe the guy really really cares about properly giving credit for lets play footage.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I had one really really socially retarded friend of mine tell me that Gamergate really was about ethics in game journalism. I regrettably informed him that he was a poo poo and stopped talking to him.

Some people actually believe that, and it's weird.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

darthbob88 posted:

My buddy is extremely critical of her and her ghostwriter, mostly because they're colossal shits regrettably often. Most recently, he said in response to the Charlie Hebdo attack that he does not stand with Charlie, because he doesn't approve of using his free speech to mock the marginalized in society. As nice as it is to have a woman giving feminist perspective on video games, can we get a different feminist?

Yeah, the internet was definitely pissed off about her in anticipation of her future opinions on a thing that wouldn't happen until many months later. Also, pointing out that maybe the Charlie Hebdo stuff was pretty racist is not really that lovely of an opinion. The only reason anybody got on board with the Charlie Hebdo stuff was because it was critical of muslims. If it was drawings of hook-nosed jews, and the place was shot up by psycho rabbis nobody would be taking the line on it that they are. It's political opportunism as far as the eye can see because Islamophobia is popular in western countries.

The specific poo poo in Charlie Hebdo was racist, and coming from their position within French society it was totally punching down. The "free speech" narrative being pushed is only being used to deflect responsibility for agreeing with a bunch of racist images. It's completely disingenuous. The right wing loving hated Charlie Hebdo, and weren't talking about free speech at all when they were taking on more powerful figures.

Now that a tragedy has happened they get to run around saying, "Well, you know, I don't completely agree 100% with all the cartoons, but by god, you know, FREE SPEECH!" It's a loving dog whistle.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
It could also be some people don't like when people get shot up for producing their lovely satire.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's entirely logical to condemn the cartoons for their content but also not wish they be loving murdered.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, if only she, AND HER GHOSTWRITER, had taken the view that sometimes it's ok to punch down at minorities, if you're only joking even though you're reinforcing popular opinion, everything would be wonderful and beautiful.

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.
You guys suck at reading. He said his friend said he didn't stand with Charlie Hebdo for those reasons, not Anita.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yeah, if only she, AND HER GHOSTWRITER, had taken the view that sometimes it's ok to punch down at minorities, if you're only joking even though you're reinforcing popular opinion, everything would be wonderful and beautiful.

It's never ok. It's also never ok to murder people for expressing their opinions. Losing face or their job is all fine but actual people were killed. Some not even involved directly in the cartoons.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 27, 2015

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's never ok. It's also never ok to murder people for expressing their opinions. Losing face or their job is all fine but actual people were killed. Some not even involved directly in the cartoons.

No it's ALWAYS ok!
gently caress you dude. Keep fighting those imaginary enemies.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I can't take it anymore. I have to do, what I believe is right. I'm willing to STAND UP and say, out loud, in public, that it is NOT ok to murder people. I hope that as more people join me in saying that murder is NEVER alright, that we can have a positive impact on the murder rate. Thank You.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I can't take it anymore. I have to do, what I believe is right. I'm willing to STAND UP and say, out loud, in public, that it is NOT ok to murder people. I hope that as more people join me in saying that murder is NEVER alright, that we can have a positive impact on the murder rate. Thank You.

Killing is wrong. And bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPK3nU2746U

Chosen One posted:

Killing is wrong. And bad. There should be a new, stronger word for killing. Like badwrong, or badong. Yes, killing is badong. From this moment, I will stand for the opposite of killing: gnodab.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I'll concede, her videos are kind of Feminist 101 sorta stuff and not really thought provoking but your friend seems to be really sensitive to a lady on the internet having opinions (even if he himself thinks Gamergate is dum.

Here's my issue with the "They're very Feminism 101 For Dummies" thing: They're supposed ot be that. They're literally meant to introduce basic concepts to people utterly unfamiliar with them.

Also re: Liam Neeson and Taken: The Taken movies, for being made largely by Europeans, are actually incredibly American in that they're about white people from the US rampaging through foreign countries with no consequences. The second one features a pretty white girl blindly throwing grenades out a window and blowing up a bunch of infrastructure (so that Liam Neeson can hear the explosions and figure out how far away they are) and nothing happens because it's a pretty white girl and the people getting blown up are vaguely brown.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hilbert Spaceship posted:

You guys suck at reading. He said his friend said he didn't stand with Charlie Hebdo for those reasons, not Anita.
The risk of ambiguous pronouns. My buddy doesn't like Anita because her writer doesn't stand with Charlie for those reasons. While I can see the need to criticize Charlie for reinforcing racist popular opinion, doing so right after they got viciously attacked just sounds like victim-blaming.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What of the bourgeois though?

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
Is there anything I can say, after linking a dozen cited legit sources, to someone who continues to defend the crusades as righteous and the inquisition as something that people opted for because it was less harsh than normal Spanish court? I made the mistake of touching the poop in the politics section of a football forum I frequent. I am assuming that this guy is a lost cause?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Is there anything I can say, after linking a dozen cited legit sources, to someone who continues to defend the crusades as righteous and the inquisition as something that people opted for because it was less harsh than normal Spanish court? I made the mistake of touching the poop in the politics section of a football forum I frequent. I am assuming that this guy is a lost cause?

A debate which is really about modern political leanings on a rando football forum is uh not exactly the place you're likely to find a lot of nuanced credible opinions about thousand year old historical events.

Just remember that you can never use rational thought to disprove an argument that was constructed without rational thought.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Literally The Worst posted:

Here's my issue with the "They're very Feminism 101 For Dummies" thing: They're supposed ot be that. They're literally meant to introduce basic concepts to people utterly unfamiliar with them.

Also re: Liam Neeson and Taken: The Taken movies, for being made largely by Europeans, are actually incredibly American in that they're about white people from the US rampaging through foreign countries with no consequences. The second one features a pretty white girl blindly throwing grenades out a window and blowing up a bunch of infrastructure (so that Liam Neeson can hear the explosions and figure out how far away they are) and nothing happens because it's a pretty white girl and the people getting blown up are vaguely brown.

That's probably the best metaphor for America ever

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ErIog posted:

Yeah, the internet was definitely pissed off about her in anticipation of her future opinions on a thing that wouldn't happen until many months later. Also, pointing out that maybe the Charlie Hebdo stuff was pretty racist is not really that lovely of an opinion. The only reason anybody got on board with the Charlie Hebdo stuff was because it was critical of muslims. If it was drawings of hook-nosed jews, and the place was shot up by psycho rabbis nobody would be taking the line on it that they are. It's political opportunism as far as the eye can see because Islamophobia is popular in western countries.

The specific poo poo in Charlie Hebdo was racist, and coming from their position within French society it was totally punching down. The "free speech" narrative being pushed is only being used to deflect responsibility for agreeing with a bunch of racist images. It's completely disingenuous. The right wing loving hated Charlie Hebdo, and weren't talking about free speech at all when they were taking on more powerful figures.

Now that a tragedy has happened they get to run around saying, "Well, you know, I don't completely agree 100% with all the cartoons, but by god, you know, FREE SPEECH!" It's a loving dog whistle.

Actually you are entirely mistaken. You can either read the whole thread about it here, or go to this helpful website to get a better context for their satire. They are of the staunchest anti-racist newspapers in France, and I'm sick of anglo-american "leftists" simply accepting the line that they were racists because they take their caricatures at face value. You might as well call Colbert or the Onion racist.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's entirely logical to condemn the cartoons for their content but also not wish they be loving murdered.

That would be all well and good if this was condemnation predominantly coming from people who understood them. Instead we had people coming out of the woodworks condemning these cartoons when the bodies of their authors weren't quite cold yet, when most of these soi-disant "liberals" or leftists do not know French, and had never heard of the cartoon before, so they were basically condemning them on the ground that they got killed by Islamists, which is deplorable and rightly should be mocked and ridiculed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Duke Igthorn posted:

That's probably the best metaphor for America ever

No I'm pretty sure that's Robocop.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
In the end none of this is going to change (speaking in regards to GamerGate/Feminist Frequency) until the internet, by which I mean 15-30 year old white male "nerds", get's over it's obscene attachment to offense as the highest paragon of humor. The thing I'm noticing is that society in general is becoming less and less accepting of the idea of "punching down" and thus there are fewer and fewer targets for offensive humor. So these poor bastards who were raised on South Park and learned that insulting literally anyone and everyone is the best way to be funny (and that also means you can't get in trouble because offending everyone is ok) are finding out that, actually, there are some limits when it comes to social discourse. So while you can still say anything you want, there are fewer places where you won't get poo poo for it.

There's also the general idea that "nerds" are the perpetual victims, as if this were "Revenge of the Nerds", so calling them out for being assholes doesn't make sense since they're discriminated against AS WELL! WHAT PRIVILEGE!?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Actually you are entirely mistaken. You can either read the whole thread about it here, or go to this helpful website to get a better context for their satire. They are of the staunchest anti-racist newspapers in France, and I'm sick of anglo-american "leftists" simply accepting the line that they were racists because they take their caricatures at face value. You might as well call Colbert or the Onion racist.

yeah uh its not just english speaking people who disagree with you who say this boo

http://www.article11.info/?Charlie-Hebdo-pas-raciste-Si-vous

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Crain posted:

In the end none of this is going to change (speaking in regards to GamerGate/Feminist Frequency) until the internet, by which I mean 15-30 year old white male "nerds", get's over it's obscene attachment to offense as the highest paragon of humor. The thing I'm noticing is that society in general is becoming less and less accepting of the idea of "punching down" and thus there are fewer and fewer targets for offensive humor. So these poor bastards who were raised on South Park and learned that insulting literally anyone and everyone is the best way to be funny (and that also means you can't get in trouble because offending everyone is ok) are finding out that, actually, there are some limits when it comes to social discourse. So while you can still say anything you want, there are fewer places where you won't get poo poo for it.

There's also the general idea that "nerds" are the perpetual victims, as if this were "Revenge of the Nerds", so calling them out for being assholes doesn't make sense since they're discriminated against AS WELL! WHAT PRIVILEGE!?

Even South Park pulled a 180 as of the last couple seasons, and seems to be treating some things as just not worth making fun of. I was particularly taken aback by The Cissy and it's portrayal of trans issues. I was admittedly cringing at the thought of South Park tackling the issue. But when I watched it, I discovered it was a sharp departure from the Mrs. Garrison arc in its treatment of transexual people, and totally shrugged off the typical South Park 'truth is in the middle' rhetoric in favour of taking an actual stand.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Poizen Jam posted:

Even South Park pulled a 180 as of the last couple seasons, and seems to be treating some things as just not worth making fun of. I was particularly taken aback by The Cissy and it's portrayal of trans issues. I was admittedly cringing at the thought of South Park tackling the issue. But when I watched it, I discovered it was a sharp departure from the Mrs. Garrison arc in its treatment of transexual people, and totally shrugged off the typical South Park 'truth is in the middle' rhetoric in favour of taking an actual stand.

Yeah, that's the funniest part. Even South Park themselves have walked back from the stupid loving idea that being offensive for no reason is either funny or free from reproach "if you didn't really mean it". But these guys are still riding that gravy train.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Crain posted:

"Punching down/up" is a stupid idea, that subordinates everything into political struggle, and falls apart once we get outside simple comparisons.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crain posted:

Yeah, that's the funniest part. Even South Park themselves have walked back from the stupid loving idea that being offensive for no reason is either funny or free from reproach "if you didn't really mean it". But these guys are still riding that gravy train.

Skimming the wikipedia page about The Cissy this jumped out at me

quote:

For those who are bothered by transgender people a new designation is made to keep them away from the normal people who do not care

Yes, that's right, South Park is saying that the normal thing to do is be tolerant. South Park. When the hell did this happen and why didn't it happen years ago?