Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Captain Novolin posted:

Sometimes there's just a delay. I use my japanese PSN account to grind for rift crystals sometimes and it takes a while for things to update.

For any new-ish players using a second account to cheese RC like I did, keep in mind that t here's a timer on how often you can send a pawn back with new gear. I have no idea how long it is, but you'll know if it happens when your pawn shows up with nothing but rocks instead of the ur-dragon drops you gave her :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Everdraed posted:

Haha looks like it worked! Went from 8,000 riftcrystals to a tidy 130k, and Haggar has not only learned about the world and its monsters but also found himself a nice big sword to swing. Thanks for the gifts, I appreciate them!

Once I max out Haggar's warrior I'll probably switch him over to sorcerer to try out group spellcasting, since that seems pretty ridiculous.
Oh good. I'll take him into BBI at some point. Once you get to post-game, there's an easy way to grind up vocation levels for yourself and him. That would be a good time to pick up my pawn, as you could literally start it, then go make a sandwich and let her wreck stuff :v:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

titties posted:

For any new-ish players using a second account to cheese RC like I did, keep in mind that t here's a timer on how often you can send a pawn back with new gear. I have no idea how long it is, but you'll know if it happens when your pawn shows up with nothing but rocks instead of the ur-dragon drops you gave her :smith:

The struggle is real. Muleing is a bitch in this game. On my wishlist for this game right after "multiple character slots" is "persistent storage".

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

I decided to get back into this game and play a class I always thought was interesting but never really got: Magick Archer. After paying my dues as a mage/sorcerer, I found out that MA is the best class. Death got all my pawns and, on a lark, decided to try and see how much damage I could do to those two condemned gorecyclops. I took down one in about two minutes with Ninefold Bolt alone. Second one took less since I realized the bolts could actually knock off their helmets.

I'm not even that optimized! I can't imagine how strong I would be had I taken the time to min/max everything.

Edit: I forgot that the Ricochet Bolt is crazy powerful too. This class is the best.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Yeah, I spent some time with the other classes getting augments and it was torture. 420 shoot magic arrows erryday.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ricochet Bolt in BBI is great.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I hope if they do make a sequel there are a lot more fights involving big things with little guys and less fights that are all bandits or all wolves or whatever. Those got old pretty quick to me, but climbing up a big thing to stab its face a hundred times is still fun as gently caress.

The big enemies were really fun to fight - especially dragons - but I also enjoyed fighting the humanoid opponents that posed a threat. I think better balance, behavior, and variation on those types of enemies would have gone a long way. There are some great mechanics in place for fighting humanoids that players weren't given enough opportunity to use like the juggle skills, perfect blocks, perfect dodge moves, and ranger/strider skills like implication.

I won't miss harpies or wolves though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dragon's Dogma Online announced on Famitsu

Crossing my fingers it's not poo poo and it gets imported to the West.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Dragon's Dogma Online announced on Famitsu

Crossing my fingers it's not poo poo and it gets imported to the West.

If this turns out to be hot garbage I will be the saddest person.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

scans have been leaked apparently:
pc/ps3/ps4, f2p, coming out 2015

plays like dragma, 4 player parties (can be pawns) and up to 100 dudes in a lobby.
new setting and frequent updates planned
edit:

quote:

-Jobs include figher, hunter, priest, shield sage and more
-you can freely change your job and pawn's job
-character creation is more extensive
-Big monsters get "angry" status (stronger attacks)

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 27, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh fuuuuccckkkk

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In addition to that (from NeoGAF): same director as for Dark Arisen (not Itsuno).

Not super-thrilled about the f2p thing because it could potentially be really badly monetized, but Dragon's Dogma + multiplayer + same combat sounds potentially very very fun.

Hopefully it will have bad AMAZING J-Rock for its soundtrack.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Oh fuuuuccckkkk

think about this: street fighter 5 is crossplay between pc and ps4

what if this is crossplay between ps3/ps4/pc

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yessssss, the f2p puts me on hold though, but it looks a lot like DD, maybe even same engine still.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Eurogamer says there are no plans to release the game in the West. :smith:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the leak that revealed that the game even existed was a european trademark registration for it

so, y'know

lol

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Oh hell yes. This is going to be awesome. It looks like they took a page from monhun and are making a real multiplayer game about kill internet dragons. Those screenshots make it look like I can climb a dragon to stab it in the face while casters pelt it with insane spells. Regardless of what platform it's for I'm sure we'll have some great...

Well poo poo. :negative:

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

46% of DD's sales were in Europe and NA. Why would they cut out their biggest markets?

loving capcom.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TescoBag posted:

46% of DD's sales were in Europe and NA. Why would they cut out their biggest markets?

loving capcom.

Pull a Xenoblade and petition them until it gets localized.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I really doubt they'd have a PC port for a Japan only release, I'm not worried. This looks cool.

I need to get back to actually finishing Dragons Dogma, though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
They better not gently caress up the F2P aspect, extra storage space, character slots and cosmetics are fine but don't go putting quests and loot behind pay walls (who am I kidding, they'll gently caress this up).

So this being an MMO is comparable to other MMO Lite games like Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter, and Guild Wars 1. I'm okay with that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am pessimistic as hell about this and am praying for a lovely surprise but I am not hopeful that it won't be an absolute turd of a F2P game with bad net code.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Arisen! I wish I could tell you how to fight this cockatrice, but you haven't purchased the "Pawn Monster Knowledge Pack" yet! (Only $4.99, best deal)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

If it's free to play I doubt there will be any issues with just grabbing the game and playing it, beyond lack of localization, which isn't all that necessary for Dragon's Dogma gameplay, to be honest. Unless they go out of their way to IP block. This should be especially easy on PS4 with a JP account.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
^^ Why would we have EU and US trademarks for the game if it wasn't coming to the West?

Also some more bits of info.

quote:

In an interview with Famitsu, producer Matsukawa and director Kinoshita share the following comments:

-Development started with the basic desire of taking Dragon’s Dogma and making it playable in an online environment.
-The game couldn’t be made in tandem with Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen and was therefore pushed back.
-Capcom contemplated a monthly fee, but chose freeo-to-play in the end in an attempt to get more players to try it out.
-Though paid items are present, the game will still feel like a proper Dragon’s Dogma game.
-The story is completely new and there are no character connections. (Editor’s note: We take it this means no character connections to the previous game.)
-The game world will initially be the size of what players have come to expect from -previous games, but will expand over time to be three times larger in scope.
-Parties are formed in the lobby, after which players depart for the field.
-An effort has been made to emphasize the strengths and traits of individual classes, but -it’s not balanced so strictly that players need to be super meticulous about party makeup.

Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono also adds that the game’s development is benefiting from the cooperation of Sony Computer Entertainment.
http://gematsu.com/2015/01/dragons-dogma-online-free-play-title-ps4-ps3-pc

gently caress.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, after reading about the original development plans for DD you really start to see it reflected in the final design of the world. Places like the arena in the frontier caverns with the giant gate that doesn't open, for example, or the vast empty region between Answorth Castle and Bloodwater Beach. Or the Bluemoon Tower, which is only used for two quests in the entire game despite being larger than Gran Soren as an asset. They didn't build that huge model just to hunt a griffin and kill a poorly fleshed-out antagonist. :psyduck:

It's definitely got that "remnants of a grander design" vibe, once you know how much more they hand planned.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
New Dragon's Dogma :gizz: ... F2P MMO :flaccid:

Please Capcom don't gently caress this up.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Im_Special posted:

Why would we have EU and US trademarks for the game if it wasn't coming to the West?

You get a trademark to prevent others from using the name, not to allow yourself to use it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mirarant posted:

Please Capcom don't gently caress this up.

They're making a free-to-play MMO. They already hosed this up.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm trying to think of what could be behind a paywall without messing up the game, and I can only think of two things:
Character classes, and zones/dungeons. Possibly some sort of premium pawns, but I doubt it.

Maybe they can sell towels which will make your pawns shut up about being wet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NarkyBark posted:

I'm trying to think of what could be behind a paywall without messing up the game, and I can only think of two things:
Character classes, and zones/dungeons. Possibly some sort of premium pawns, but I doubt it.

Maybe they can sell towels which will make your pawns shut up about being wet.

Why would you sell things which make pawns talk less? Their running commentary is one of the highlights of the game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

*walks down road*

'Tis a tree Arisen!'

Goty

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

You get a trademark to prevent others from using the name, not to allow yourself to use it.
Well I still doubt this is staying Japan only. Home consoles and PCs aren't exactly extremely popular over there like they are in the west.

NarkyBark posted:

- Good F2P: Paying for skins and other aesthetic stuff. You will look cooler but that's about it.

- Decent F2P: You can pay for an extra character slot or a bigger inventory. But if you just focus on 1 character you can level him up and get gear for him at the same rate as paying players.

- Bad F2P: Upgrading you sword with this +1 damage bonus will take 72 hours. OR you can spend 20 Capcom coins and upgrade it now!!

- Bad F2P: To unlock the next skill you need 2000 experience points. Every boss fight will give you around 10xp points. Have fun grinding!!!!. OR you can buy our XP boost pack for just $5.99 and level up NOW.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"is that... Some kind of structure?"

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
I'd be happier if it was one time payment and then add-ons, like Guild Wars 1, but whatever, more Dragma I'm happy.
Maybe we even get to go to the moon! Also make the super bright anime-ish hair colors 500 bucks tia.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
This is like the opposite of what I wanted

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

When was the last time a game's title ended in 'Online' and it wasn't garbage?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I hope this is a game that I have the opportunity to play and judge for myself whether it is good or bad.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Rime posted:

Or the Bluemoon Tower, which is only used for two quests in the entire game despite being larger than Gran Soren as an asset. They didn't build that huge model just to hunt a griffin and kill a poorly fleshed-out antagonist. :psyduck:
You forgot the post-game wyvern. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Harrow posted:

They're making a free-to-play MMO. They already hosed this up.
All they had to do was put in proper co-op, tweak some of the annoying quests / encounters, and release it as a remaster or a proper sequel. :psyduck:

Capcom might as well say 'yeah, we're hoping to sucker in the fans of the original, then drop all support and run with the cash from this poo poo two months after launch.'

• Locked thread