Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Because somebody asked for it...

:siren::siren::siren:NEW COMIC!!!:siren::siren::siren:

Welp, I guess Moonshadow really does know how to pick her targets. Her track record remains a flawless 4/4 of taking out unrepentant creeps

Looks like Allison is doing the sensible thing and consulting with the authorities before acting on her discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Some pretty good alt text though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Slashrat posted:

Welp, I guess Moonshadow really does know how to pick her targets. Her track record remains a flawless 4/4 of taking out unrepentant creeps

Maybe one of his other victims approached Moonshadow after they saw the clip of him being strangled for trying to rape someone else on youtube?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Or the guy got on her radar after the video, and she did her own research. Despite her vigilantism, she was a legit crime fighter for several years.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Or she killed him after seeing the YouTube video, and his past just coincidentally fits.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
A "series of emails left open on his computer". I'm guessing Moonshadow opened them up.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Huh. Is she covering for Moonshadow to try to investigate on her own, or is she not totally sure it was her? Covering seems to make more sense, but if that was the case she probably wouldn't have suggested "it's gotta be a high tier invisible".

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Carrasco posted:

Huh. Is she covering for Moonshadow to try to investigate on her own, or is she not totally sure it was her? Covering seems to make more sense, but if that was the case she probably wouldn't have suggested "it's gotta be a high tier invisible".
I think she's grasping at straws and doesn't want to believe that Moonshadow would actually become a serial killer.

vv: :agreed:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 27, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
In the previous page, she was looking at old pictures of Moonshadow. To me, that suggests she knows that it's Moonshadow but she doesn't want to believe it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder why they're MRIing her?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MikeJF posted:

I wonder why they're MRIing her?

Probably a regularly scheduled checkup/therapy session.

And she definitely knows it's Mary, but doesn't want to believe it. I wonder if the same is true for the government, after all Moonshadow is kind of a government-trained assassin gone rogue, and that would be one hell of a PR hit.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Maybe moonshadow is in charge of the investigation for the IS and is supporting theories that deflect suspicions from her power set.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm pretty sure she's doing this for Hector. This stupid, stupid thing she's doing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She also may not want to tell people things that may get them inviso-slashed as witnesses until she's ready to tell the world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She may have decided to deal with this herself, too. Superhero-away!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My assumption is that the government knows exactly who did it, and doesn't want Megagirl to get involved. If she and the country argued about what to do with a murderer, the country would lose.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is her other super power being the dumbest person on earth? Seriously ? She can't make that leap of logic there?

Guess I'll let these people take as much technical information and biological information on me as humanly possible , no way they'd figure out some way past my abilities.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not sure what her angle is, playing dumb to her handler like this. But it's not like Allison's known for making good decisions so hey. If this is all a leadup to Allison getting the feds out of the way so she can have a one-on-one chat with Moonshadow then this situation is probably going to end badly for her.

Hollismason posted:

Guess I'll let these people take as much technical information and biological information on me as humanly possible , no way they'd figure out some way past my abilities.

It's either play ball with the feds and get reg'd up or go rogue like the supervillains. Did you think the government was going to fork over all of that sweet funding to a teenage superhero team with no strings attached?

But yes having the limits of her powers constantly studied and tested is absolutely going to gently caress her over later.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Hollismason posted:

Is her other super power being the dumbest person on earth? Seriously ? She can't make that leap of logic there?

She grew up being invincible. She's never had to make good decisions, so there's that.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Well, on the other hand, she gets a possible warning if her powers ever go Cleaver on her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
She knows full well Moonshadow is behind this. It's possible she thinks the government knows it too and is trying to suss out why they're letting Moonshadow do her thing.

That's my gut instinct anyway. This whole TK theory is hard to imagine being earnestly held.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Note that she's poking holes in the tk theory.

On the other hand, she isn't poking the biggest hole she could (without naming anyone): that she saw a silhouette with her crushed plaster trick, and body-blocked an invisible person. Clevin is witness to both these things.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I think Alison suspects Moonshadow (her mental list of 'invisibles I know' is probably quite short) but she's not ready to point fingers yet. She's poking holes in the TK theory because the holes are large and obvious and need to be pointed out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Given that anything Allison says on the matter is news, it would be irresponsible to finger anybody unless she's absolutely sure, so I'm not surprised she's not doing that.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Clevin didn't see inside the room, so all he knows is that she blew powder in and then was knocked down by something. She could theoretically have been pushed over by a TK, and that TK could then have cut Clevin, although I don't know why that would be considered the more likely theory. Also, how about we take a look at the relevant page here?

She saw Moonshadow's eyes and called her name. She's got to be pretty sure it was her. Obviously it's not a 100% ID, but there's got to be more to her not suggesting Mary as the culprit than just uncertainty. It's possible that she doesn't want ordinary people getting hurt in the inevitable super-fight, but keep in mind there are other superheroes around who probably do work for the government and would be happy to help beat down a serial killer if necessary.

I think she's not telling them because this is really the final death of the Guardians, and she already feels guilty enough about what she did to them. If it comes out that Moonshadow was invisibly killing people, what's it going to do to all three of the remaining team members? Alison might be willing to take the hit to her own reputation, but what about Hector and Brad? Hector is still living off of the merchandising and Brad is going to be using his reputation to help other biodynamic people with deformities. It's going to cause them serious problems when this comes out.

It's still dumb, though. Alison is operating under the assumption that she can deal with Moonshadow herself if necessary, because she ALWAYS operates under that assumption. She's never really had to rely on people in her life; her instinctive reaction is to assume that she herself is capable of dealing with any problem that comes up, because usually that is true. This is one of the central features of the comic, and the thing that underlies her entire quest to Fix The Entire World. So she's taking a terrible risk by letting a serial killer run around loose because she's pretty sure she can stop her, but how bad is it going to be if she turns out to be wrong, or if there are more victims first?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
it wouldnt be that bad, because shes killing awful people

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What kind and name is "Clevin" anyways.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What kind and name is "Clevin" anyways.

It's a variation of "Cleavon" which is a slightly less rare English name.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's a variation of "Cleavon" which is a slightly less rare English name.

Oh poo poo, Clevin and Cleavor are the same person.

Just give it some thought. :v:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Clevin Van Houten. Millhouse's lamer older brother.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Comedy Option: Mega-Girl admitted she likes doing violence, has now caved to that gut instinct and secretly agrees with Moonshadow on how to fix things.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

nimby posted:

Comedy Option: Mega-Girl admitted she likes doing violence, has now caved to that gut instinct and secretly agrees with Moonshadow on how to fix things.
Although the entire point of the comic is that Alison comes to the realization that you can't solve all the world's problems by punching things really hard.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Mars4523 posted:

Although the entire point of the comic is that Alison comes to the realization that you can't solve all the world's problems by punching things really hard.

Just punch even harder!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Superstring posted:

Just punch even harder!

Yeah when people say you can't solve problems with violence they clearly don't know how to use violence to effectively solve problems.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

VanSandman posted:

Yeah when people say you can't solve problems with violence they clearly don't know how to use violence to effectively solve problems.

Punch the Sun, baby!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

jsoh posted:

it wouldnt be that bad, because shes killing awful people

She'd probably get a pretty high approval rate, but as was already pointed out, this is exactly what every other biodynamic on the planet does not need, even if Menace was lying about the assassinations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Well, there are two things:

1) Alison clearly doesn't think it's okay, so she'd feel really lovely about letting more people get murdered.
2) As has been shown by even the arguments in this thread, a substantial number of people favor stuff short of the death penalty for rapists. And that's setting aside the large contingent of people who believe that due process is really important (for straight white men).

Being a serial killer is just generally a bad PR move.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Carrasco posted:

She might not just be naming names because thus far "I'm Mega-Girl and I don't like you" has often ended with society reflexively shunning whatever she doesn't like.

She suspects Mary, but that's basically a conviction in certain people's eyes. If Mary's actually innocent, naming her would ruin whatever she had going on.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Glazius posted:

She suspects Mary, but that's basically a conviction in certain people's eyes. If Mary's actually innocent, naming her would ruin whatever she had going on.

This. I think she's being pretty logical and level headed thus far, it's that her world is loving nuts.

If voicing a concern is enough to get a professor fired, she's right to say nothing until she knows more, one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
New comic. I think the idea she doesn't want to believe it's Moonshadow is the right one here, she seems relieved in that last panel.

Of course, it's not hard to make an alibi when you can slip in and out of a public place without anyone seeing you go.

• Locked thread