Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I just learned, a week late, that Marcus Borg has gone on to his eternal reward! What a shame - he was always somebody I would loved to have met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking of which... do animals have souls? Most denominations would say no, but animals are apparently still self-aware enough to be worthy of kindness. So what exactly does having a soul even do for you, anyway?

Apologies for the potential can of (soulless) :can:, but this entire topic is something I was never able to wrap my head around.

From what I understand, animals have souls but they are lesser than humans. We show animals kindness even though that are lesser than us because in doing so we emulate God who is kind to humans even though we are lesser than Him. Human souls allow us to commune with God. Without it, things like sacraments and the afterlife would be impossible.

In short, I'm not sure if my cat will be hissing at Mary in cat heaven but I hope so

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

It isn't because if someone started preaching something not along orthodox teaching, they'd get called in front of their bishop for potentially starting a heresy.

Pretty much what I thought. Every once in a while I wish the Bishop would just use his authority to smack people down, but even though I have an orthodox bishop (versus some diocese where they have bishops who agree with or otherwise have views that cause them to accept Broad Churchman when they go into heterodoxy) he's tended to try to exercise restraint simply because my diocese is extremely divided. The amount of politics involved is frustrating, but at the same time there are similar types of political issues that crop up on occasion in the RC/EO churches as well, so it's not like it's entirely a unique problem.

It's interesting to note that Broad Churchmanship is pretty much limited to the West, because Broad Churchmanship has a limited missionary background because (possibly because it might be viewed through a lense of colonialism due to its secular outlook), so when you look at the vast majority of Anglicans who are in the Global South, they tend to be of a more evangelical and charismatic tradition, and also tend to be from a more Low Churchmanship. Churchmanship is an interesting concept to explore if only because it requires that you look into the historical context of so many different things that lead to its modern incarnation.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Smoking Crow posted:

From what I understand, animals have souls but they are lesser than humans. We show animals kindness even though that are lesser than us because in doing so we emulate God who is kind to humans even though we are lesser than Him. Human souls allow us to commune with God. Without it, things like sacraments and the afterlife would be impossible.

In short, I'm not sure if my cat will be hissing at Mary in cat heaven but I hope so

http://www.eyeofthetiber.com/2014/12/12/pope-francis-confirms-cats-still-going-to-hell/

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Is this a Catholic version of The Onion? That's glorious :staredog:

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

System Metternich posted:

Is this a Catholic version of The Onion? That's glorious :staredog:

Yes, and it generates predictably Onion like levels of oblivious responses on Facebook on the occasions where it's passed around in Christian groups I'm a part of. It's wonderful.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking of which... do animals have souls? Most denominations would say no, but animals are apparently still self-aware enough to be worthy of kindness. So what exactly does having a soul even do for you, anyway?

Apologies for the potential can of (soulless) :can:, but this entire topic is something I was never able to wrap my head around.

My catholic philosophy teacher said no but since they don't have a rational soul they can be recreated easily

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Powered Descent posted:

Aristotle says yes, but vegetative souls and animal souls are different from rational souls or angelic nature. St. Thomas Aquinas follows him. Rational souls include the properties of vegetative and animal souls, but are also immortal. Animals and plants have souls (the principle of life) but they are destroyed when the animal or plant dies.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PrinceRandom posted:

My catholic philosophy teacher said no but since they don't have a rational soul they can be recreated easily
Just yesterday I found this article by Andrei Kuraev saying sort of the same thing while defending evolution: that animals have no rational or moral will, and only humans are promised immortality, but if God wants to put animals in the world to come, he will.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keromaru5 posted:

Just yesterday I found this article by Andrei Kuraev saying sort of the same thing while defending evolution: that animals have no rational or moral will, and only humans are promised immortality, but if God wants to put animals in the world to come, he will.

This is roughly the Evangelical view as well. It's entirely possible that Fido and Chairman Meow are part of God's perfect existence so they may well be waiting for you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Worthleast posted:

Aristotle says yes, but vegetative souls and animal souls are different from rational souls or angelic nature. St. Thomas Aquinas follows him. Rational souls include the properties of vegetative and animal souls, but are also immortal. Animals and plants have souls (the principle of life) but they are destroyed when the animal or plant dies.

Many thanks to all of you for the answers, but it's left me with more questions than I had when I started.

So what's the difference between a vegetative soul and an animal soul? Which one do, say, mushrooms have? (They act more like plants but they're more closely related to animals.) Are there bacterial souls and viral souls? And what about the trillions of microbes that are a de-facto part of my body right now? Do they have their own souls, or do they share mine? How about cell lines with a human genome, like HeLa cells? Do they still have a scrap of Henrietta Lacks' soul?

I suppose all my questions boil down to this: what exactly IS a soul, anyway, and what does it do?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Powered Descent posted:

So what's the difference between a vegetative soul and an animal soul? Which one do, say, mushrooms have? (They act more like plants but they're more closely related to animals.) Are there bacterial souls and viral souls? And what about the trillions of microbes that are a de-facto part of my body right now? Do they have their own souls, or do they share mine? How about cell lines with a human genome, like HeLa cells? Do they still have a scrap of Henrietta Lacks' soul?
If you're Aristotle, a soul is the form (structuring principle) of the living being, the operations of life. If an eye were an animal, sight would be its soul.

Plants, mushrooms, etc, all have vegetative souls, since that's the ability to absorb nutrition and replicate yourself. The basic necessities of life. Things that have appetites and motive power but do not think have an animal soul. They seek what's good for them and reject painful stimuli. If he knew about one-celled organisms, Aristotle would probably say that some of them have animal souls. Human beings have a rational soul--we think.

The soul is not a physical inheritance but the system of organization and actions which governs and subtends the living being. HeLa cells wouldn't have Ms. Lacks' soul because they lack the principles that made her her--her thoughts, her appetites, her actions. but they do have a soul, as does everything that lives. The bacteria that are part of your body are not part of your soul, since they aren't (so far as we know) making your decisions and thinking your thoughts. They aren't part of the structuring principle that makes you who you are. (Aristotle knew about parasites but he did not know about gut bacteria or mitochondria, without which you cannot live! Those might be part of your vegetative soul.) Neither is your hand, if it were chopped off--that would no more have a soul than a sculpture of a hand.

Everything Aristotle says eventually boils down to a discussion of actions and the ability to take actions. Everything is movement with him. As a living human you do things, and the soul is those actions.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 27, 2015

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Many thanks to all of you for the answers, but it's left me with more questions than I had when I started.

I suppose all my questions boil down to this: what exactly IS a soul, anyway, and what does it do?

HEGEL answered well, but I'll add this. The soul is not material. The difference between a pile of carbon, hydrogen, etc. and a living cell made up of those same atoms is the soul.

Unless you're Dr. Duncan MacDougall. Then the soul is material and weighs 21 grams. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall_(doctor)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Majorian posted:

I just learned, a week late, that Marcus Borg has gone on to his eternal reward! What a shame - he was always somebody I would loved to have met.

Aw, that sucks. Still, he had a good run.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Worthleast posted:

HEGEL answered well, but I'll add this. The soul is not material.
The great thing about Aristotle is that it isn't essentialist either, it's not some hidden entity within yourself. It's actions and movement.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Aristotle got mega inspired proving Parmendies wrong.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PrinceRandom posted:

Aristotle got mega inspired proving Parmendies wrong.

All he had to do was move like Diogenes

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Here's an overview of Aristotle's Soul View.

http://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/psyche.htm

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Getting assigned to read Marcus Borg as a college freshman was one of the formative :aaaaa: experiences of my adult intellectual life

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Should Priests have the rigth to strike?
Recently there was a massive general strike in my country protesting possible changes to the Labour Law. The union of Priests have traditionally refrained from striking but they removed this rule in 2010. For the first time ever these priests participated in a political strike. They beleive this is justified since it as an act of solidarity on behalf of the weak ( basically if you are a unskilled manual Labour changing the Labour Law is the last thing you want).
But not everyone priest agrees With the union and many quit when this rules was changed in 2010. Some wrote very angre letters in the newspapers about how striking goes extremely against the calling of the priesthood(they should always be available).

So what you guys think. Is it ok for a priest to strike for any reason?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Smoking Crow posted:

I was always taught that animals don't have souls, but apparently Palamas said they do, but the soul dies with the body.

In any case, no cats in heaven, alleluia.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Baudolino posted:

Recently there was a massive general strike in my country protesting possible changes to the Labour Law. The union of Priests have traditionally refrained from striking but they removed this rule in 2010. For the first time ever these priests participated in a political strike. They beleive this is justified since it as an act of solidarity on behalf of the weak ( basically if you are a unskilled manual Labour changing the Labour Law is the last thing you want).
But not everyone priest agrees With the union and many quit when this rules was changed in 2010. Some wrote very angre letters in the newspapers about how striking goes extremely against the calling of the priesthood(they should always be available).

Priests have a union? Which country?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Baudolino posted:

On the one hand, I'm all for giving our clergy a decent living for their occupation. On the other hand, the canons explicitly declare the bishop to be the master of his diocese, plus it's kind of lovely to deprive people of the sacraments due to a labor dispute. What if somebody wants to confess on their deathbed during the strike? In any case, the parish usually gives the priest his salary, not the diocese (although the latter often handles pensions and healthcare and other such things).

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Worthleast posted:

Priests have a union? Which country?

Norway. It`s not really a union in the traditional sense. More like a Society of Priests( presteforeningen).I think it`s more a Place for debate and seminars plus they provide certain services that unions often do. But have never really taken a combative stance against the state Church. Think of it more like a " Priest Club" than a regular union.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ProperGanderPusher posted:

On the one hand, I'm all for giving our clergy a decent living for their occupation. On the other hand, the canons explicitly declare the bishop to be the master of his diocese, plus it's kind of lovely to deprive people of the sacraments due to a labor dispute. What if somebody wants to confess on their deathbed during the strike? In any case, the parish usually gives the priest his salary, not the diocese (although the latter often handles pensions and healthcare and other such things).

Ok. But what if you aren`t striking for Your own benefit but strictly to help other workers? In this case the priests arent going on a political strike to get better pay, but to protect unskilled low-pay workers ( like for instance cleaners or Garbage disposal men/persons).

Just to be Clear this was just a two hour strike that was meant to make a point . I doubt any sacraments were left unperformed. Tough maybe a deathbed confession went unconfessed, we will never know.
You have some good Points tough. Being a priest not like any other job.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Perhaps it was the priests marching with their faithful in solidarity with them, rather than a refusal to give sacraments.

I'm imagining Monks with a vow of poverty striking for more soup or something.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Worthleast posted:

I'm imagining Monks with a vow of poverty striking for more soup or something.
"What do we want?"

"Less food, smaller cells!"

"When do we want it?"

"Now!"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ProperGanderPusher posted:

This is the same anti-labor extremist argument trotted out about every profession that might possibly cause harm were they to strike. Other professions it is used against include teachers, law enforcement, emergency and health personnel, air traffic controllers, and I could go on but you probably get the point. That you subscribe to this ideology doesn't change the fact that in the real world there are many ways for workers to strike while still providing "essential" services.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is the same anti-labor extremist argument trotted out about every profession that might possibly cause harm were they to strike. Other professions it is used against include teachers, law enforcement, emergency and health personnel, air traffic controllers, and I could go on but you probably get the point. That you subscribe to this ideology doesn't change the fact that in the real world there are many ways for workers to strike while still providing "essential" services.

Two problems with comparing the priesthood to any other profession:

First of all, souls are on the line. Are you seriously going to refuse to baptize somebody or hear their confession just because the diocese is screwing with your pension?

Second of all, being a priest isn't simply a job. You are a servant to your parish and it is your duty to be there for their spiritual needs.

Look, I'm as pro-union as the next goon, and it pisses me off when people complain about clergymen getting any kind of compensation at all (I've been flirting with taking up holy orders, so I have a vested interest in things not being too hellish for me), but striking really isn't appropriate when you're running a spiritual hospital.

How could a priest "strike" while still providing services? In the RCC, most parishes are completely self-sufficient and don't pay anything to the diocese or to the Vatican (if I'm not mistaken; feel free to correct me). In the Orthodox Church, parishes give 10 percent of their tithing money to the diocese, but the administration is made up of a handful of secretaries, some of whom are volunteers. Most of the money goes directly towards, healthcare, pensions, and airfare for the bishop. If the priests cut those payments off (which they don't have the authority to do anyway), they would be shooting themselves in the feet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Isn't a priest strike basically interdict?

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
The church I used to be a part of recently formed a union for ministers. It is the second largest church/denomination in Canada after the Catholic Church. http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/01/21/united_church_of_canada_clergy_form_their_own_union.html

I would say it is a pretty progressive church overall so it isn't a big surprise.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a bona fide heresy, depending on who you ask.

So is the any church not in communion with Rome. Or all of Christianity if you're a Muslim. Basically everyone who follows any Christian denomination, or any religion at all, is engaged in practicing a belief that is heretical--depending on who you ask.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ZombieLenin posted:

So is the any church not in communion with Rome. Or all of Christianity if you're a Muslim. Basically everyone who follows any Christian denomination, or any religion at all, is engaged in practicing a belief that is heretical--depending on who you ask.

Calm down homie

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

Sounds like you are too.:smug:

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Isn't a priest strike basically interdict?

That's more like a lockout.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ZombieLenin posted:

That would be why I added "depending on who you ask". This would be a case where context genuinely matters; everybody in this thread is heretical according to at least one other person in this thread, and in general we all accept that. In any case, Hegel (currently HEY GAL) explained later that some of the Church Fathers were pro-universalism.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hey, I'm pretty sure all Christians in the thread agree about Saint Abba Moses being a cool dude (well, after he converted, at least). That removes a lot of heresy points. Might even save you from an anathema.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

ZombieLenin posted:

Are you from the 13th century? I don't think anyone's held onto the concept of Muslims as confused Christians for at least a century now. Heresy is a bit more narrow a concept than "other belief systems."

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Are you from the 13th century? I don't think anyone's held onto the concept of Muslims as confused Christians for at least a century now. Heresy is a bit more narrow a concept than "other belief systems."

Unfortunately people like that do exist. Apparently one of them does interreligious dialogue for the diocese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Numerical Anxiety posted:

I've heard the legend that Mohammed was a cardinal who got passed over for the Papacy, and went off in a huff to do things his way.

(I don't believe it)

• Locked thread