Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Chrom should be an alt for Ike, his attacks are more brute force while Lucina carries hers in a more rapier-way. Hell, Chrom swings rapiers like a club and sticks them in the ground afterwords.

And yet they both share the familial trait of bashing holes into walls.

related:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why does Ike have so little killing power? I feel like his slow huge flashy forward smash that you'll almost never hit with should be more powerful than another character's fast, easy-to-land forward smash. I switched from Ike to playing random characters I'd never touched before and instantly did better.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Ike is pretty bad and the players who have the most success with him just try to abuse grabs/his safest moves like his tilts and bair to rack damage. Almost every smash attack is a hard read against any decent player.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ike would be really satisfying to use if he was high risk/high reward instead of high risk/no reward.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why does Ike have so little killing power? I feel like his slow huge flashy forward smash that you'll almost never hit with should be more powerful than another character's fast, easy-to-land forward smash. I switched from Ike to playing random characters I'd never touched before and instantly did better.

Ike is very good at 4v4, and amazing at 8 person smash, just because he has unparalleled ability to knock motherfuckers who aren't paying attention off the stage. He's just not super good in one-v-one.

Also, just like, don't use his forward smash (which is completely retarded) - it's not like he doesn't have other options (like his ridiculous up-smash) that aren't slow that kill people. His forward tilt is like, not completely retarded, for instance, or you could short hop at people and use his ridiculous back air or forward airs.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I usually have good results abusing his aerial forward attack in short hops, and also his neutral combo is very good. You have some combo options with his down throw I think. His forward smash is, sadly, incredibly hard to land but it's also one of the strongest moves in the game.

He was way worse at launch anyway, I think that first balance patch did wonders for Ike.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think there are just some basic skills I need to develop, like the ability to actually grab people, or what to do when they throw me straight up and start juggling me with characters like Marth or Sheik.

I've had some good luck as Luigi, who shares a lot in common with Ike, too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*checks tournament videos*

It was all Diddy.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Diddy Kong is a cool character. Long live Didy Kong.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope tournaments move to more 2v2 formats, it should shake things up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I hope down throw to air gets nerfed to the loving ground. Who thought making the banana give Diddy a free punish was a good idea? Just nerf it to damage. gently caress.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They probably never even tested grab to air combos

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ike absolutely has killing power. Use his up smash instead of his forward smash unless you're a lot more certain your fsmash will hit, his up smash covers quite a bit more area and is a little more safe.

Here is a list of Ike's kill moves:

forward air, if you hit someone near the ledge, back air, up tilt, forward tilt, f, d, and up smash, up air, down air, standard B (eruption), and potentially counter.

I don't know if you have something specific in mind, but Ike's forward smash is absolutely stronger than pretty much every other forward smash in the game that is faster. The only f-smashes that I think are stronger than Ike's are Bowser's, DeDeDe's, and maybe Ganondorf's. Ike is a very hard character to play as, but he's not bad. Unlike faster characters who can get away with making mistakes like misspacing and whiffing attacks, Ike can't. Getting a better feel for how to play the action game insofar as learning how to grab, how to "read" your opponent, and how to go for kills will go a long way to making your Ike better. It's just smash fundamentals that you need to be on point with when you play heavy characters like Ike.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

same

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Ike absolutely has killing power. Use his up smash instead of his forward smash unless you're a lot more certain your fsmash will hit, his up smash covers quite a bit more area and is a little more safe.

Here is a list of Ike's kill moves:

forward air, if you hit someone near the ledge, back air, up tilt, forward tilt, f, d, and up smash, up air, down air, standard B (eruption), and potentially counter.

I don't know if you have something specific in mind, but Ike's forward smash is absolutely stronger than pretty much every other forward smash in the game that is faster. The only f-smashes that I think are stronger than Ike's are Bowser's, DeDeDe's, and maybe Ganondorf's. Ike is a very hard character to play as, but he's not bad. Unlike faster characters who can get away with making mistakes like misspacing and whiffing attacks, Ike can't. Getting a better feel for how to play the action game insofar as learning how to grab, how to "read" your opponent, and how to go for kills will go a long way to making your Ike better. It's just smash fundamentals that you need to be on point with when you play heavy characters like Ike.
I find Ike the most fun to play, I think I'm just frustrated by how bad I am at the game. On the other hand, I've owned it for three days.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I find Ike the most fun to play, I think I'm just frustrated by how bad I am at the game. On the other hand, I've owned it for three days.

Ganbare

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Anidav posted:

I hope down throw to air gets nerfed to the loving ground. Who thought making the banana give Diddy a free punish was a good idea? Just nerf it to damage. gently caress.

Nothing is getting nerfed.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you'd like a chill, but good player to watch (and even spar or ask questions) for learning Ike and the game in general, then I recommend Bum: http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3.

He mains DK, but plays a lot of Zelda, Ike, Ganondorf, and Samus. He also answers questions and offers advice, and will play pretty much anyone who adds him at least once if the connection isn't terrible.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

ShadeofBlue posted:

What do people mean that he can't ledgehop in Smash 4, because I've heard it a few times now? You can definitely drop the ledge, use your second jump and then forward air onto the stage, it just requires more precise timing than other characters. Am I missing something about what ledgehop means?

He can only get on stage with his fair, not just a hop. Also, there are stages where he gets caught if he tries, like Battlefield.

I just tested it out and it most certainly does not work, he falls way too quickly for him to be able to get on stage unless you use a move that has forward momentum -- meaning if you jump they can just react to the offensive option because it's all he has.

Edit:

A point I meant to make in my last post but didn't was that when people compare two characters and say they are the same, it usually is most to do with how they maneuver and their neutral game. Characters like Lucario and Mewtwo have very similar movement and the way they control neutral is very similar, which is where the comparison comes from.

laplace fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 27, 2015

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

laplace posted:

He can only get on stage with his fair, not just a hop. Also, there are stages where he gets caught if he tries, like Battlefield.

I just tested it out and it most certainly does not work, he falls way too quickly for him to be able to get on stage unless you use a move that has forward momentum -- meaning if you jump they can just react to the offensive option because it's all he has.

Yah I played around with it some more and he does have to use a move. Dair works too, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NTT posted:

They probably never even tested combos

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 27, 2015

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GymKgJHt_oQ

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

they have a video on youtube showing off luigi combos -_-

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man.

gently caress Greninja.

Usually I can beat the majority of folks For Glory throws at me pretty easily with Shulk/Falcon/Link, but whenever I come up against a Greninja with any idea how to control space I just get loving trashed. :negative:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 27, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bef posted:

they have a video on youtube showing off luigi combos -_-

By Nintendo of America, which was not involved with development. :smugdog:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

idk how many people care but i made a big post about palutena in the other thread so i thought i'd crosspost it here

sharrrk posted:

some general things i can think of off the top of my head:
her jab is goddess-like, you've got three really good options after getting the first hit, which is super quick: go for the jab combo, which hits a ton, making it good for refreshing your stale moves. it also seems to have powerful magnets that make it really hard for people to escape, and even if you miss the first hit of the jab i've noticed many players will still fall into it because of its magnetic effect catching them off guard, you should't rely on that though because a good player will usually not make that mistake.
her second option after jab is to go for a grab. this will nearly always work unless they are in a weird spot and palutena LOVES her down throw. this should probably be your most used technique.
her third option is to go for a forward smash. keep in mind, this is not a true combo, the opponent does have enough time to shield. however, after doing jab to grab a bunch your opponent may not expect you to go for this, and its very good at killing if you land it.
other things are that all of her aerials are great. up air will beat almost everything and its one of her best kill moves, so if you see bowser or yoshi try to sit on you, thats your chance for a free kill. nair is a great follow up to down throw because it does good damage and hits a lot, refreshing your moves. if you get good with it can even use it to drag people under the stage, which is very rude. her forward air is quick and does more damage than you would think it does, this is her best poking tool. i definitely recommend getting good at shorthopping her fair. down air is a spike and its a quick one, i also noticed it tends to beat a lot of moves as well, so if your coming at someone from above it might be a good option.
now, palutena has two attacks that use her shield: her dash attack, and her back air. these moves are special, because they will not lose to anything. samus's fully charged charge shot can be completely nullified with a well-timed dash attack. her back air is also quite strong and can kill at higher percents.
thinking about throws again, her down throw is easily her best, shes really good at following it up with an aerial. her back throw isn't as great as ness's as a kill move, but its definitely an option if you're near the edge and you're starting to get desperate. her forward throw isn't all that great, but it is worth noting that it sends the opponent about the same distance no matter what percent. this might make it good if you get someone by the edge of the screen on a walk-off and they're at low percent, or if you're trying to take advantage of halberd's laser. her up throw is not good either, but it can kill at really high percentages, like 160% and higher. you aren't going to use it often but it may save you in a desperate situation.
her smash attacks! you should almost never go for her down smash. its pretty good at killing but its very easy to whiff and has a bunch of lag, use at your own risk. forward smash is much better, but you're gonna have to make a good read to land it. her up smash, or as i like to call it, the Palutena Glam Blaster is the real star here. this is another good follow up to down throw when going for the kill, if you think they're going to air dodge just hold the charge for a bit longer and they'll get owned. it also good for edgeguarding, since you can it to hang off stage a bit, and its hitbox extends slightly below the ground. also, try to learn the exact length you need to hit with it so you can hit aerial opponents with the tip, they often won't even try to dodge it thinking it won't hit.
her specials! dont let anyone tell you her default specials are bad because they are so wrong. you generally only want to use autoreticle when you think you're at the furthest distance possible when on stage. try to jump before using it if you can, so that the angle of each shot changes as you fall. that makes it harder for them to avoid. use it more than once if you can but don't be greedy, when you start thinking "i bet i can get one more off" that's your cue to stop or else you'll get hit. if you're recovering back on stage its good for making your recovery safer, just make sure your opponent doesn't have enough time to jump at you and own you before you can get it to start firing.
warp owns, unfortunately it doesn't deal any damage like zelda's does. she can still go really far and go right past opponents with it though, and it doesn't have much lag on it either. be careful when recovering with it though. i've noticed there are some weird angles when she will end up just far enough away from the ledge to not grab it and be completely helpless.
reflect is probably my favorite of her specials, you can do many rude things with its windbox off stage by preventing opponents from gaining any distance on their recovery attempts.
counter is a counter. use it like how you would use marth's i guess, i don't have anything else to say about it.

i wrote a lot more than i thought i was going to write but i guess thats what happens when you play the best character in the game

oh here's something i almost forgot to mention. her forward air is really good to use to come back on stage after dropping from the ledge, it catches a lot of people off guard. the timing is a bit tight though but its far from unmanageable

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

My lagless streaming setup is here. Today is a good day.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Does Palutena's fair have a sweetspot or something because I've never done more than 7% and zero knockback with it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Does Palutena's fair have a sweetspot or something because I've never done more than 7% and zero knockback with it.

idk what you are talking about with zero knockback. it's not a kill move or anything but it should get people off of you just fine

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I guess I'm kinda expecting Zelda's lightning kick and when I do it with Palutena it never seems to help, but I guess I haven't been using it for poking or whatever

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also i forgot to mention ledge canceling warp. i haven't gotten good at it yet but it turns warp into an amazing positioning tool

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

I guess I'm kinda expecting Zelda's lightning kick and when I do it with Palutena it never seems to help, but I guess I haven't been using it for poking or whatever

palutena does not have the electric boot unfortunately

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Why would you expect anyone to kick as well as Zelda, the most powerful of kickers.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

laplace posted:

My lagless streaming setup is here. Today is a good day.

no lag on benq? i dont want a clunky crtv to play PM on but i do want it to be lag-free

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

sharrrk posted:

idk how many people care but i made a big post about palutena in the other thread so i thought i'd crosspost it here

Thank you for your kind words about my girlfriend Palutena, I care quite a bit.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think there are just some basic skills I need to develop, like the ability to actually grab people, or what to do when they throw me straight up and start juggling me with characters like Marth or Sheik.

I've had some good luck as Luigi, who shares a lot in common with Ike, too.

I don't really understand how you play Luigi without grabbing. That's his thing, he has the best grab combos in the game.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

bef posted:

no lag on benq? i dont want a clunky crtv to play PM on but i do want it to be lag-free

With a sewell converter and a 1ms benq monitor there is less than 1/15th of a frame of lag. it's excellent.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I don't really understand how you play Luigi without grabbing. That's his thing, he has the best grab combos in the game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

diddy's tail ought to be a hurtbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Is this smash 4

• Locked thread