Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

zonar posted:

the new greek finance minister is Yanis Varoufakis aka valve's former inhouse economist

lmao

you're laughing now, but hats will save the greek economy, you'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
if you're looking for 80 hours of padded-out anime adventures that demonstrate to your susceptibility for the sunk-cost fallacy, the tales of games are great. each game is a giant exercise of "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!"

i've played three of them to completion :negative:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I was thinking of buying the the new resident evil game for a lady friend but realized she cheated on me back in 2011 but I still had feelings for her and didn't want to come off as someone weird so instead of buying the game I decided not to. I still send her a Valentines card btw

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anime Curator posted:

I was thinking of buying the the new resident evil game for a lady friend but realized she cheated on me back in 2011 but I still had feelings for her and didn't want to come off as someone weird so instead of buying the game I decided not to. I still send her a Valentines card btw

its funny cause its true

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Maybe he shouldn't have bought a jrpg

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Anime Curator posted:

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have bought a jrpg

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my housemate made hitler and gandhi on the wii u and i can currently hear him making them fight from upstairs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Anime Curator posted:

source yr quotes pls

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

you're laughing now, but hats will save the greek economy, you'll see

i mentioned it to a friend of mine. his response:

"maybe the greek government is releasing half life 3"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

univbee posted:

i mentioned it to a friend of mine. his response:

"maybe the greek government is releasing half life 3"

wait. greeks? half-life? lambda?

:tinfoil:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Pinterest Mom posted:

is there a sega hard girls dating sim

Awia posted:

trap set?

2 3d 4me

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
joystiq is closing which is wild because they've been writing about games for almost as long as i've been playing them

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Nayato posted:

joystiq is closing which is wild because they've been writing about games for almost as long as i've been playing them

yeah i heard. its a huge bummer, joystiq is my favorite bideo james news site

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

yeah i heard. its a huge bummer, joystiq is my favorite bideo james news site

http://www.joystiq.com/2015/01/27/joystiq-closing-shop/?ncid=rss_truncated

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

haha I saw this. I can't imagine what it's like to work there right now :/

games writing is a bad beat. hope everyone makes it out more or less unscathed.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
lol capcom is making a free-to-play dragon's dogma game for consoles

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

games writing is dying and everyone is turning to streamers now, its easier to pimp your game this way

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/16/7559177/quiz-destiny-gun-or-swedish-metal-band

this needs to be a dis or dat in a ydkj game

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vintersorg posted:

games writing is dying and everyone is turning to streamers now, its easier to pimp your game this way

theres still definitely a place for games journalism (especially when its ethical :colbert:) but yeah it seems like it might be on its way out.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

I thought sky lords could evade stingers super easily and the stingers sometimes explode and don't damage the jet? or did they fix that and make airplanes less horrible to play against.

yeah they've hosed it up every patch since release.

at release a loner in a little bird was total stinger fodder but a squad in a little bird with a good pilot and 2 engineers repairing was a death machine.

now a loner in a little bird is invulnerable but also useless because a single stinger has no effect and then they just pop ir smoke and fly away until its cooldown is up. a little bird with a squad is also useless because they nerfed repairing to uselessness.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Vintersorg posted:

after watching giant bomb play games, i can see why games journalism is dying

how can u literally be paid to play video games and be that incompetent, brad shoemaker

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

Notorious QIG posted:

theres still definitely a place for games journalism (especially when its ethical :colbert:) but yeah it seems like it might be on its way out.

at the very least it's definitely turning more toward a "new media" (ugh) kind of model - podcasts and videos and streamers are dominating the scene now. hopefully it's going to reach some kind of equilibrium because I think there's definitely value in institutional memory and a more traditional form of reporting. cheesegod69 on youtube isn't going to build contacts and chase leads, he's on episode 87 of his minecraft series

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Space-Pope posted:

how can u literally be paid to play video games and be that incompetent, brad shoemaker

i know game devs who don't even know how to play games

v shameful

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

(ask) me about being a big gay baby who cares about dumb poo poo like this

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

turnways posted:

i know game devs who don't even know how to play games

v shameful
idgaf if u dont know how to play a game when ur job is engine development or making art assets or w/e. but its kind of different when playing video games on camera is ur job, and u suck poo poo at it and constantly use "talking and playing is hard, guyyyysssss" as an excuse for your inability to read a button prompt

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Nayato posted:

(ask) me about being a big gay baby who cares about dumb poo poo like this

same

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

once again i refer the thread to the excellent mrbtongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXEAGWynGA

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

games journalism has two major problems: it's pretty much impossible for them to be honest and have reliable revenue, and games can't reliably be obtained early in the same consistent manner that movies can be, both due to game publishers only sending early review copies to people who consistently give them positive reviews, and games often not even being in a releasable state until release day due to day 1 patches and the like

there's also a big problem of time commitment; a movie has a finite length and even an impossibly-long movie will take up less than 4 hours of your time, while i'm getting into an argument in the playstation import thread because someone thinks you shouldn't review a 60-hour jrpg without completing it. yes, i'm totally going to spend 60 hours of my time + the time to write a review which i'm probably not going to be paid for beyond the free copy of the game, this is good value for money and will surely put food on my family's table

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

for all that destiny got wrong it got the items and flavor text very, very right

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

univbee posted:

games journalism has two major problems: it's pretty much impossible for them to be honest and have reliable revenue, and games can't reliably be obtained early in the same consistent manner that movies can be, both due to game publishers only sending early review copies to people who consistently give them positive reviews, and games often not even being in a releasable state until release day due to day 1 patches and the like

there's also a big problem of time commitment; a movie has a finite length and even an impossibly-long movie will take up less than 4 hours of your time, while i'm getting into an argument in the playstation import thread because someone thinks you shouldn't review a 60-hour jrpg without completing it. yes, i'm totally going to spend 60 hours of my time + the time to write a review which i'm probably not going to be paid for beyond the free copy of the game, this is good value for money and will surely put food on my family's table

games reviewing is only one small aspect of games journalism though. ultimately reviewing should be done however the reviewer wants

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

the number one source of revenue for games journalisms has been and always will be advertisement and the number one advertiser for games journalisms has been and always will be video game and related companies.

people were complaining about this stuff back when pc gamer was a thing and it was wall to wall video game ads.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

maybe we'll grow up and start asking for games criticism, not games journalism~

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

the number one source of revenue for games journalisms has been and always will be advertisement and the number one advertiser for games journalisms has been and always will be video game and related companies.

people were complaining about this stuff back when pc gamer was a thing and it was wall to wall video game ads.

well yeah, i mean the great kane & lynch 2 debacle of 2007 was directly related to this, and it was definitely still nowhere near new then

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Space-Pope posted:

it's really funny because the new guy they hired, Dan, consistently beats them at every game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pinterest Mom posted:

maybe we'll grow up and start asking for games criticism, not games journalism~

nah we just want effusive praise for games we already like and cheap shots at games we already hate

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

oh yeah, i guess it also doesn't help that reviewers can get dogpiled by fanboys if their "idol" is besmirched

yes, this looks like a rewarding career path for sure

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
lol dragon's dogma is finally coming to pc

...as a free-to-play multiplayer game http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...campaign=buffer

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

univbee posted:

oh yeah, i guess it also doesn't help that reviewers can get dogpiled by fanboys if their "idol" is besmirched

yes, this looks like a rewarding career path for sure

I agree with them

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

Notorious QIG posted:

games reviewing is only one small aspect of games journalism though. ultimately reviewing should be done however the reviewer wants

yeah the fact is that the most interesting writing about games isn't being done by reviewers or even, like, review-heavy sites. gamespot and IGN are getting traffic but when's the last time you thought "excellent, the new danny o'dwyer article is out"

(that's a bad example because danny o'dwyer is cute and irish but he's the only name i know at gamespot anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

the main problem is that reviews generate pageviews which generates ad revenue so you have to have them but reviews are like... the least interesting, least useful poo poo and metacritic is slowly choking the game industry to death

• Locked thread