Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

oldpainless posted:

Monk loving sucked and if you liked it you can go to hell!

Man why you gotta be like that

John Turturro just called me bawling his eyes out because he read your post

"I was Monk's brother Ambrose in that show and I thought I did a good job"

why did you make john turturro cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Man why you gotta be like that

John Turturro just called me bawling his eyes out because he read your post

"I was Monk's brother Ambrose in that show and I thought I did a good job"

why did you make john turturro cry

Tell him to go gently caress himself after Transformers

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Wow the manga ending to EoT/AYNIK sounds pretty loving terrible.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
People who like minimalist intros should definitely check out Broad City. Short, sweet, and it's different every episode.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Monk loving sucked and if you liked it you can go to hell!

Calaveron posted:

Tell him to go gently caress himself after Transformers

Just FYI, these are literally the most correct opinions in this thread and both of those posters are cool, smart, and handsome as is anyone who shares their opinions on these topics.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One day Tom Waits will clear his throat and it'll turn out he had a normal speaking voice all these years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fz8jcm-bV8

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Big Grunty Secret posted:

People who like minimalist intros should definitely check out Broad City. Short, sweet, and it's different every episode.

Like what Girls does?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Henchman of Santa posted:

Like what Girls does?

Broad City doesn't pretend to speak for a generation.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, girls is firmly planted up its own rear end. Broad city is about girls I want to hang with. Girls is about girls I want to hang.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Okay, but I am talking about their theme songs (or relative lack thereof). I do not give a single poo poo about your opinions on Girls as a show.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They do similar things with the intro, except for the part where broad city's intro then segues into a quality television program.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

My roommates watch New Girl all the time, and they have different versions of the opening--some episodes only use an 8 second version of the longer intro.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kalos posted:

The GoT opening is one of those things that wasn't designed with the idea that people would be watching it multiple times (possibly frequently). It's gorgeous, creative, the music rules, and I was sick of it halfway through the first season.

I crank the gently caress out of it every time I watch an episode. It's just so good on a properly beefy system.

I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me by now.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
American Horror Story is a huge offender of the opening taking way too loving long. The first few episodes it's cool to watch all the new poo poo, and then it gets boring. Okay, get it, lots of creepy loving dolls looking at you and weird shots to make a balloon look like a dick. Got it. After three or four episodes they should cut the poo poo down or just do a brief one like Breaking Bad did.

But gently caress alive no matter how many times I see GoT's opener, I want to watch it all.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do people bash baddies in the head once and then flee like idiots. The baddie got knocked out, beat the snot out of him!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mans posted:

Why do people bash baddies in the head once and then flee like idiots. The baddie got knocked out, beat the snot out of him!

Because they are the goodies

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Its not easy for just anyone to knock someone out in one shot every time and even when you do, it doesn't take more than a minute or two for them to wake back up. In every movie one karate chop will put someone down for the full duration of an hour long heist job or whatever.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mans posted:

A good inversion of a cliche similar to this (the "shoot them once, you think they're dead, but they're still alive) is in the second season of 24.

That season, on a whole, is pretty good. The exception to this is the Kim plotline. The writers literally just had the stupidest loving poo poo happen to her. A psycho employer who she escapes from, a cop she has to escape from, a crazy mountain-man survivalist she has to escape from, and no lie, a God-damned cougar almost kills her while she is trapped in...a cougar trap. A cougar trap that any idiot with opposable thumbs can escape from because it just requires loosening up a wire.

Then a the end of the season, she is back at the FIRST psycho's place, and he shows up to kill her. She calls her dad asking what to do, and somehow she has a gun, so he yells for her to shoot him.

Then he yells for her to shoot him again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
John Wick did a good job of avoiding that, too. I think there's maybe three people in the movie he doesn't shoot in the head to be sure they're dead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

John Wick did a good job of avoiding that, too. I think there's maybe three people in the movie he doesn't shoot in the head to be sure they're dead.

Seriously, check this scene out not just for the great choreography, but the fact that trained hitman John Wick actually acts like a hitman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ULL_4P0fbs

Also, the one guy he shoots in the stomach doesn't just fly offscreen and disappear, he comes back because he's not dead. They paid good attention to stuff like that.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CJacobs posted:

Seriously, check this scene out not just for the great choreography, but the fact that trained hitman John Wick actually acts like a hitman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ULL_4P0fbs

Also, the one guy he shoots in the stomach doesn't just fly offscreen and disappear, he comes back because he's not dead. They paid good attention to stuff like that.

I really should get round to seeing John Wick.

Keanu Reeves is one of my favorite actors

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a really drat good movie and they do a pretty good job of avoiding stuff that this thread would normally complain about. There are some things that bugged me about it (the premise was a bit silly but the movie doesn't pretend for a minute that it doesn't already know that) but overall it was a very good action flick about Keanu Reeves killing a whole bunch of bad dudes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Normally the way they talk up Wick as some kind of unstoppable badass for a good five minutes would piss me off, but they did it really well. It ended up making it even more satisfying when he went all "Welp, time to headshot dudes!".

It also had a great twist on one of those annoying-as-hell cliche action movie scenes right after that house shootout that was linked. I don't want to spoil it, even in tags, because it's that wonderful.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In the same way that Guardians of the Galaxy can be imagined to be a film adaptation of some group's pen-and-paper roleplaying campaign, it occurred to me that Edge of Tomorrow is basically what would happen if a video game speedrun were turned into a movie. Do the same "levels" over and over and over and over and over again until you can do it perfectly in the fastest, most efficient way possible by sheer muscle memory.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

In the same way that Guardians of the Galaxy can be imagined to be a film adaptation of some group's pen-and-paper roleplaying campaign, it occurred to me that Edge of Tomorrow is basically what would happen if a video game speedrun were turned into a movie. Do the same "levels" over and over and over and over and over again until you can do it perfectly in the fastest, most efficient way possible by sheer muscle memory.

I really like that, and I think I read somewhere that the guy who first wrote the (book? anime book?) got his inspiration from that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gridlocked posted:

Gonna keep spoiler tags up for my irrationally irritating movie momements because I feel I will most likely ruin both Edge of Tomorrow and All You Need Is Kill for some people but in a nutshell: It's a great film, Tom Cruise manages to be an engaging protagonist for the first time in ages, the romantic subplot isn't overbearing and they even make sure the supporting characters get enough screen time that you feel the movie was worth their time. See it already.

So firstly nitpicky wise I really wish they kept the name All You Need Is Kill, which I believe was it's working title, because it was a cool name.

Secondly in the manga they have a little Day X+Y counter pop up which really doesn't do anything other then tell us that while we have only moved one page in time, the protagonist has moved about 80 attempts at the mission; I felt that if they included something like that along side or intercut with extended versions clips that make up the the mid-film montage of his failures the whole process of Tom Cruise going from being a out of his depth, scared rich boy to a hardened veteran with some serious psychological issues be a bit more solid. Also they kinda avoided the full extent of his damage except for the clip run where he didn't try to save anyone and simply watched them die with a passive face giving a nod to "Yeah look he has PTSD"; more acknowledgement of the issue turning him from the reluctant hero he is in the film into the solid anti-hero his character was in the book would have made me somewhat happier.

Finally while the happy ending was decent for the film I felt it was a little too hand-wavey, I wish the ending had been the much more downer one from the manga just because it kept in tone with the "War is hell" message I was getting from the work. For context in the book Rita never lost her looping powers and they were stuck in it together; at the end of the book when they achieve their very similar objective to destroying the Omega they find themselves repeating the loop inadvertently realise that only one person at a time can have the power (one of them effectively becomes the new Omega) and are forced to fight to the death to be the one to survive and keep fighting (killing their Omega-equiv didn't end the war for them). In the end the Tom Cruise-equiv ends up killing Rita in front of the survivors of the battle. While he is now hailed as the last and best hope for humanity, with more Mimic kills in a single battle than any soldier has achieved in the entire war, he is also viewed with fear and disgust by the other soldiers as an unhinged manic who cut down a fellow soldier in the field because she appeared to get in his way.

Sorry if this is a bit much for the Irritating Moments, but I wanted to wade in on the conversation about a movie I was REALLY overjoyed to see come out and be amazing inspite of my criticisms and the initial "Oh look Tom Cruise saves the world" reaction I got when I saw the poster.

One little nit-pick about that movie that drove me craaaazy:

The aliens are called "mimics". They're called that from the very start, with no explanation given of why humans started calling these squid-monsters "mimics". In fact, I was thinking the whole film they should be called "Squiddies" or something instead, until at the very end of the film, it all makes sense.

The aliens kill off other species by fighting them day after day, repeating things until they've learned how their opponent fights. This means they can "mimic" their enemy's method of fighting. (Except that's really more of a counter than a mimic, its more like they're just fast learners?)

The problem with this is that none of the humans knew this at the time of the start of the film, its a major plot point that nobody understands how they are so good at fighting and the military doesn't know they're using time-travel. So why are they called mimics? Did the show up on Earth and go "Hey Humans, we're called mimics and we're invading you now!" It just doesn't make sense. They shouldn't have a name which gives away their whole method of working. Some human would name them based on their appearance and that'd be it; so it'd be something like 'squiddies' or 'shadows', not 'mimics'.

nucleicmaxid posted:

I really like that, and I think I read somewhere that the guy who first wrote the (book? anime book?) got his inspiration from that.

Yup, the whole film/book came from the idea of taking an FPS setting (respawning characters fighting endlessly) literally.

Red vs Blue kinda did the same thing a long time ago, taking an FPS literally and looking at the absurdity of it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDYaeNW7_U

Kill the reds! Kill the reds! Kill the reds!
Kill the blues! Kill the blues! Kill the blues!

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Jan 26, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I get irritated when someone gets stabbed in the chest, but with the blade up and down and it goes in perfect and the person dies.

That's not how anatomy works. Ribs are made of bone, and are pretty hard. You won't be punching through a sternum with a knife. Sword, maybe. Knife? Probably not.

Yet every time I see someone get stabbed, it's with the blade vertical instead of horizontal.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

One little nit-pick about that movie that drove me craaaazy:

The aliens are called "mimics". They're called that from the very start, with no explanation given of why humans started calling these squid-monsters "mimics". In fact, I was thinking the whole film they should be called "Squiddies" or something instead, until at the very end of the film, it all makes sense.

The aliens kill off other species by fighting them day after day, repeating things until they've learned how their opponent fights. This means they can "mimic" their enemy's method of fighting. (Except that's really more of a counter than a mimic, its more like they're just fast learners?)

The problem with this is that none of the humans knew this at the time of the start of the film, its a major plot point that nobody understands how they are so good at fighting and the military doesn't know they're using time-travel. So why are they called mimics? Did the show up on Earth and go "Hey Humans, we're called mimics and we're invading you now!" It just doesn't make sense. They shouldn't have a name which gives away their whole method of working. Some human would name them based on their appearance and that'd be it; so it'd be something like 'squiddies' or 'shadows', not 'mimics'.

Yup, the whole film/book came from the idea of taking an FPS setting (respawning characters fighting endlessly) literally.

Red vs Blue kinda did the same thing a long time ago, taking an FPS literally and looking at the absurdity of it all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDYaeNW7_U

Kill the reds! Kill the reds! Kill the reds!
Kill the blues! Kill the blues! Kill the blues!

I thought they were based of Fijian Mimic Octopi? They certainly wiggle around like they are.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Novum posted:

Its not easy for just anyone to knock someone out in one shot every time and even when you do, it doesn't take more than a minute or two for them to wake back up. In every movie one karate chop will put someone down for the full duration of an hour long heist job or whatever.

Archer has a pretty nice scene in which Archer knocks out another operative by punching him in the face. He references that being knocked out for that long is "super bad for you". The agent he punched later mentions that the rest of his week is doctor appointments to see if he suffered any permanent damage.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Razorwired posted:

Archer has a pretty nice scene in which Archer knocks out another operative by punching him in the face. He references that being knocked out for that long is "super bad for you". The agent he punched later mentions that the rest of his week is doctor appointments to see if he suffered any permanent damage.

Archer is also one of the few movies or TV shows to show the crippling tinnitus that would result from being around gunfire without ear pro all the time.

"Swear to god, I can do that all day. I mean to me it sounds like bubble-wrap."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DrBouvenstein posted:

A good inversion of a cliche similar to this (the "shoot them once, you think they're dead, but they're still alive) is in the second season of 24.

That season, on a whole, is pretty good. The exception to this is the Kim plotline. The writers literally just had the stupidest loving poo poo happen to her. A psycho employer who she escapes from, a cop she has to escape from, a crazy mountain-man survivalist she has to escape from, and no lie, a God-damned cougar almost kills her while she is trapped in...a cougar trap. A cougar trap that any idiot with opposable thumbs can escape from because it just requires loosening up a wire.

Then a the end of the season, she is back at the FIRST psycho's place, and he shows up to kill her. She calls her dad asking what to do, and somehow she has a gun, so he yells for her to shoot him.

Then he yells for her to shoot him again.

For a really lovely slasher film, Jeepers Creepers does this really well. The unstoppable supernatural monster is stalking the two teenage protagonists and they run him over in their Impala. Then they reverse over him. Then they drive over him again, then reverse over him again, and then drive over him forward one more time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Razorwired posted:

"And at that altitude!"

"Super bad for you"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Razorwired posted:

Archer is really dedicated to showing how its action sequences would go down in real life, which is part of what makes it funny. Sterling is the only one that ever counts bullets and uses that to his advantage.

The scene where he has a showdown on top of a moving train wearing night vision goggles and everything goes horribly awry is another great example.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Archer is really dedicated to showing how its action sequences would go down in real life, which is part of what makes it funny. Sterling is the only one that ever counts bullets and uses that to his advantage.

The scene where he has a showdown on top of a moving train wearing night vision goggles and everything goes horribly awry is another great example.

Everything Archer does is the greatest. They also repeatedly refer to the fact that they have a really weird timeline with a mix of new and very dated technology. As well as stuff like the KGB and Soviet Union existing.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Memento posted:

For a really lovely slasher film, Jeepers Creepers does this really well. The unstoppable supernatural monster is stalking the two teenage protagonists and they run him over in their Impala. Then they reverse over him. Then they drive over him again, then reverse over him again, and then drive over him forward one more time.

Jeepers Creepers 2 as well. Ray Wise is :black101: personified.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Archer is extremely irritating because their first priority is to get every voice actor onto every episode even when it doesn't make sense or help the story in any way.

By the second season they had run through all their original ideas and have leant hard on catchphrases and call-backs ever since. If a new joke ever hits they run that poo poo into the ground out of necessity.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yes he did.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I thought they were based of Fijian Mimic Octopi? They certainly wiggle around like they are.

I don't think so considering this is what they look like in the manga:

I have no clue why they are called Mimics beyond the aforementioned meta knowledge.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jan 27, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CJacobs posted:

It's a really drat good movie and they do a pretty good job of avoiding stuff that this thread would normally complain about. There are some things that bugged me about it (the premise was a bit silly but the movie doesn't pretend for a minute that it doesn't already know that) but overall it was a very good action flick about Keanu Reeves killing a whole bunch of bad dudes.

You say it's silly but I felt it was very reasonable especially when you take into account Wick is the one begotten son of the Grim Reaper sent to earth to lay motherfuckers down.

That said, I'm really glad they didn't go with a Irrationally Irritating "They killed my wife" motivation.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jan 27, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I get irritated when someone gets stabbed in the chest, but with the blade up and down and it goes in perfect and the person dies.

That's not how anatomy works. Ribs are made of bone, and are pretty hard. You won't be punching through a sternum with a knife. Sword, maybe. Knife? Probably not.

Yet every time I see someone get stabbed, it's with the blade vertical instead of horizontal.

All of this, but with vampires and wooden stakes.

I can accept people like Buffy, other vampires, etc... being able to do it. They're supernatural and have super-strength.

But the odds that a regular human could have any hope of pushing a wooden stake though a ribcage? Especially when the stakes are perfectly round and thus rely entirely on someone's grip strength? Can you say holy mother of God, splinters everywhere?

Like...wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have stakes that looked more like a dagger? With a cross-guard that can be pushed against? You would still need to push really loving hard, and I'm guessing the success rate would be pretty low before the vampire killed you, but you'd at least have a shot compared to a traditional stake with no cross-guard.

The only time I've seen this addressed is in the first Dusk till Dawn. When describing the vampires, one of the characters actually mentioned that they have really soft bodies, and how weird that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MariusLecter posted:

You say it's silly but I felt it was very reasonable especially when you take into account Wick is the one begotten son of the Grim Reaper sent to earth to lay motherfuckers down.

That said, I'm really glad they didn't go with a Irrationally Irritating "They killed my wife" motivation.

I really like how they did the whole "Dead Wife" thing BEFORE he went on his killing spree. So we didn't have to worry about it being a thing; we just knew it's an angry, depressed man who wants revenge for his best friend being cruelly murdered. The best friend a man could ever have.