Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

blackswordca posted:

So a salesguy came in:

One of the clients I support bought a trailer and had it wired to the building for power and internet. Now all the sales guys have been shoved out there. The wiring was just finished Friday and I'm at the client site to tie it in today.

:clint: hey blackswordca, so were getting internet in the trailer today?
:colbert: Yep, I just need to do some setup but it should be up soon.
:clint: fantastic. oh, make sure you turn on wireless
:colbert: turn on wireless? you have a new WAP for me to put in?
:clint: No, I mean turn on the wireless so it works in the trailer as well
:colbert: wireless doesn't work like that. Besides, we just ran a bunch of data cables here to plug your laptops in
:clint: no, that's too much of a pain. The guy at Best Buy said all you need to do is change the setting in the router and wireless will work, so get it done.

If you don't use any kind of device authentication, watch those network ports like a hawk. These are the kind of dipshits who will take an off-the-shelf wireless AP and put it on your network. They'll leave authentication to Open since they can't be bothered to "remember another stupid password".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

But how do you old-person-proof a computer these days?

Depending on what they do, a ChromeBox might be perfect.

Edit: Beaten by a mile. The little HP ones are good though.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 26, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Manslaughter posted:

You wouldn't happen to know the details? I still get this with Twitch even on Low.

I don't know the details, but I personally have not had any major problems with it for quite a while.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A charity table-flipping for charity at MAGfest came in...

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Gaming convention. Childish crap. Someone wearing BDU pants in public. Yep.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd pay money to a website that ran a livestream of consumer-NAS-products-used-in-a-business being carried up a conveyor into a shredder.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A highschooler who wanted to shadow our team came in...

For much of the day he didn't get to do much other than read -- HR mandated that he not be allowed to touch. a. thing. -- but towards 4pm we had some old 3.5" IDE drives to sanitize. We wipe / random-write / wipe the drives and turn them to sand in a shredder at the end of each quarter, but on this occasion we gave the kid a seven-pound wrecking sledge and let him have at them first.

That lasted until the VP on the floor above us dropped by to see what on earth was going on; moments later she had a few shots on the hard drives as well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nthing the chromebook idea. Lock it down so that they can't install extensions, and get them set up with LastPass or something for passwords.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Volmarias posted:

Nthing the chromebook idea. Lock it down so that they can't install extensions, and get them set up with LastPass or something for passwords.

I got this old folder full of mp3s, how do you reckon I play them?

...You upload them to Youtube grandpa

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

:colbert: Then you're gonna need to get the Best Buy guys out here to change that setting, because that's not how commercial networking works. But what do I know, I'm just the guy you're paying for his expertise in setting these things up.

Mac address filtering is man's best friend. You conform or you don't get poo poo.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Gaming convention. Childish crap. Someone wearing BDU pants in public. Yep.

To be fair, the pants were part of a costume, but if you don't want to break stuff every now and then please let me know how you have transcended our animal instincts and share whatever substance does so tia

Roargasm posted:

If you want a Surface Pro 3 you can reach out to an Azure/Office365 rep for a demo. I mentioned buying hardware for my C-levels and they had the paperwork through that day

They want it back, probably?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MJP posted:

To be fair, the pants were part of a costume, but if you don't want to break stuff every now and then please let me know how you have transcended our animal instincts and share whatever substance does so tia

Hey, somebody has to be better than everyone else.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Filthy Lucre posted:

This very much depends on where the 3rd party is in the connection. If the 3rd party is an immediate upstream, then the ISP can do something about it. If 3rd party is a few ASN hops down the road, there's a good chance your ISP can't do anything.

I have Charter and lately every single hop they have leaving their network is congested to hell. Latency doubles or triples leaving their network, and while I'm usually ok with blaming Level3 right out, its happening to other peers as well. If I thought it would do any good, I'd collect stats for a few days to send to them, but its not like they can't see it.

Back in the day when I was still stuck on Dialup, CenturyLink bought out local phone company and routed all their traffic through one of their data centers in Tennessee or something. I went from being able to play Tribes on a 56k line with sub-100ms ping to a server in state to >300ms constant. A grim day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Roargasm posted:

I got this old folder full of mp3s, how do you reckon I play them?

...You upload them to Youtube grandpa

Or you play them natively on the chromebook.

:colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gothmog1065 posted:

[People who think they know what they are doing.]

It doesn't really sound like T1 / T2 are either trained or empowered to do anything at an ISP. My condolences.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MJP posted:

I'd rather donate the hardware to people or nonprofits in need of it and donate money to charity without the need to break stuff other people could use, because we make enough money to do both, but hey.

Che Delilas posted:

Hey, somebody has to be better than everyone else.
I realize that the above image sometimes describes me, but it's really not about being better. It's about being grumpy in a different way than everyone else.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have literally zero desire to take out frustrations that way.

A few years ago, I would absolutely enjoy spiking a keyboard into the floor at the tech shop at maximum force and watching keys launch in every direction. We had dozens of old kbs, so no harm done.

I'm... Better now.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

I have literally zero desire to take out frustrations that way.

A few years ago, I would absolutely enjoy spiking a keyboard into the floor at the tech shop at maximum force and watching keys launch in every direction. We had dozens of old kbs, so no harm done.

I'm... Better now.

as in better single malts?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
In college the IT department had a "Take a sledgehammer to old and busted systems that are beyond repair" fundraiser. My professor had a bunch of old contacts in the IT industry so we had a bunch of big empty server cases or systems with old spec boards that would never power up again and were gathering dust in someone's garage.

They didn't let me put "Die mother fucker die mother fucker die" on infinite loop though, freaking catholic universities.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Facebook, Instagram, Tinder, Twitter and Battle.net all go down around the same time.

:munch:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

less than three posted:

Facebook, Instagram, Tinder, Twitter and Battle.net all go down around the same time.

:munch:
Twitter's not down, though.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

Twitter's not down, though.

I'm having some issues loading pieces, and downdetector.com is reporting stuff as well.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

map.ipviking.com looks like World War loving Three atm.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
China's angry about something!

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 27, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My god. My screen went green and 300'd the gently caress out of the US.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

less than three posted:

Blizzard must have banned their WoW bots again.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

less than three posted:

Read this and shudder: http://furbo.org/2015/01/22/fear-china

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

It doesn't really sound like T1 / T2 are either trained or empowered to do anything at an ISP. My condolences.

Tier 2 is neither. They have no power and no actual troubleshooting abilities. It is 100% script driven and they will not deviate from those scripts.

Tier 1 doesn't give a gently caress if it's not making them money. "Your modem is offline, let me transfer you to tier 2". If they think they'll get some core services out of the deal they'll fight for it tooth and nail and wont' actually drop the customer.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

It's about being grumpy in a different way than everyone else.

I realized from earlier in this thread or somewhere in Working in IT that you work for Red Hat, ergo you're a *nix grump by nature, which puts things in perspective.

how do i grep /usr/human/bin/emotion beep boop

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
RE: I got through the trial period, a new role came in:

Holy poo poo my new team is great. Get to work from home when its difficult to get in (I take trains and they've been awful (cancelled) recently), jokingly asked my new manager if he would mind if I do overtime while sat in the pub, hours aren't as rigid as long as I work hard and keep churning through work as fast as I do, as long as I do 8 hours a day. So if I need to leave early for something, they won't mind so long as I log on later and finish my hours then.

Which is great, because when they trialled me for the role I was ill that week and couldn't really give my 100%, so now my 50% is what they expect of me. I don't understand how I even came in to work before, now i've got a chill boss I do way more work, i'm motivated and getting up doesn't suck.

Oh, its also confirmed that i'm out of the other team and they'll be giving me a raise, so I can finally use the emote! :yotj:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A recruiter came in...

... with a senior WIndows engineer role at a place closer to me, but with a lovely litany on Glassdoor.

Is it ethical/advisable to reach out to the recruiter saying "hey guys, is it possible to get IT and management's feedback on this?" and send a link to the Glassdoor review.

It was contract to hire anyway, and I'm full time, but going from a 70-person company where you can walk up and down the aisles cursing up a storm to a "conservative but laid-back" company culture with rampant favoritism/old-boyism accusations and three re-orgs over the last three years gives me great, great pause. Unless they give me some kind of very ironclad assurance I'll probably withdraw myself from consideration.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MJP posted:

A recruiter came in...

... with a senior WIndows engineer role at a place closer to me, but with a lovely litany on Glassdoor.

Doesn't this mean that the company is so incompetent that they haven't figured out how to give themselves fake positive reviews?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

Is it ethical/advisable to reach out to the recruiter saying "hey guys, is it possible to get IT and management's feedback on this?" and send a link to the Glassdoor review.

Yes? If you're concerned by the reviews there, then just ask them straight up about them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

An urgent email from the CEO came in.

quote:

I am hearing from therapists again about them being kicked off the system. This issue has gotten so out of hand our staff are unable to do their jobs. [wa27] I don't know if this is a server issue or [software] issue but IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY THE END OF THE WEEK. I'm really not kidding. FIX IT

The issue is that a few staff are using remote desktop from their lovely home connections and getting frequent disconnects. And they're blaming that for not getting their work done. :fuckoff:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The unthinkable has happened.

:yotj:

Now taking suggestions on how to spend my next 2 weeks...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had that exact same confrontation with the CEO and I straight up told him that it's their very cheap and terrible internet connection. I went on to say that if he wishes, I can get rolling business class internet at each of their locations for a few hundred dollars a month and that will resolve the issue.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Doesn't this mean that the company is so incompetent that they haven't figured out how to give themselves fake positive reviews?

Doesn't speak well for anyone or anything.

My last job's IT group was like a microcosm of the Warsaw Pact in a very bad way. This prospective company boasts similar conservative environments, extreme aversion to risk/trying new things, and such. Nothing beats being able to shout about the loving Keystone Kops shitshow of electricians our building had which killed power to our offices one day last week. Felt good considering the folks on the phones are talking to truckers all day and were surprised that I could actually curse alongside them.

What concerns me about this, though - I would hate to be the one that turned a bad situation into a witchhunty one by dropping the Glassdoor bomb on them. I have no connection to this company but I worry that if the Powers that Be over there find out, they'll have yet another "reorganization."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

I had that exact same confrontation with the CEO and I straight up told him that it's their very cheap and terrible internet connection. I went on to say that if he wishes, I can get rolling business class internet at each of their locations for a few hundred dollars a month and that will resolve the issue.

I've had to deal with exactly this before, when lawyers were trying to connect to the vpn by tethering their phone to their laptop while at the cottage in the middle of nowhere. We got quotes to roll out business-class internet to everyone's summer home/cottage and the problem immediately disappeared.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Lync 2013 Status: Crashed twice yesterday, once so far today, and my day only started 3 hours ago.

Don't use Lync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

At&t is the carrier for my personal cell phone. - I can sit at my desk and have coverage
Verizon is the carrier for my work cell phone. - I do not get connection at my desk.
Somehow this building is a blockage for Verizon. Others with this service have the same experience.
Is there a setting in the phone that can make it receive signals inside this building. If not, having the work cell through Verizon kind of defeats it purpose.
Can this be looked into please

Eyebrows up.

• Locked thread