Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

deaders posted:

This series is a bit of a departure for me, shot with a Mat 124g on Tmax 100. I really like Tmax now, it is also amazing for portraits.

These are pretty good, love the tones and kinda makes me think of Robert Adams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

deaders posted:

This series is a bit of a departure for me, shot with a Mat 124g on Tmax 100. I really like Tmax now, it is also amazing for portraits.

:allears: hey baby, you goin my way?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Thanks, and that is awesome you made the RA connection alkanphel, I have been looking at his work a lot lately so was going for that kind of quiet, isolated feeling.

I can't believe the tones you get with Tmax 100, I just ordered a few more boxes. There was not much to be done to these after scanning, it just naturally seems to have nice contrast and tonnes of shadow detail.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

deaders posted:

Thanks, and that is awesome you made the RA connection alkanphel, I have been looking at his work a lot lately so was going for that kind of quiet, isolated feeling.

I've looked at quite a number of his photobooks (he has so many!) so the connection just popped into my head naturally. Good stuff, look forward to more!

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I am pretty bad about remembering to remove the dark slide out of the camera before shooting and good about advancing the frame manually after each shot. I wish it was the other way...

advance by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just got into phone range so have been able to look at the pics in this thread from last couple of months (our net connection has blocked most image sharing sites)

Lovely work all!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yuan Ching by alkanphel, on Flickr

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

ExecuDork posted:

Counterpoint: give up on such bourgeoise concepts as "focus" and "sharpness" and get an old folder. They're great fun.

Also, a quick google tells me B&H is currently out of stock of the Fuji GF670, but when they get more in they sell for $1750. A Moskva 5 is like $100 on eBay.

Yep, so I took this advice. Decided on a Voigtlander Perkeo II, since it seemed to have pretty good optics and shutter, as well as being ridicuslously small (which will make it nicely pocketable for work travel).

I took it out this weekend and shot a few rolls. Finished developing and scanning the first one last night, it makes some nice photos! I didn't botch nearly as many frames due to bad focus as I feared. Things were either a meter away and easy to estimate, or far enough away to just throw the camera in f/8 and focus on infinity. The viewfinder looks like it mostly lines up with the frame, although a few frames were botched due to parallax.

Ultrafine Xtreme 400 + Rodinal 1:100 stand dev.

Icy Marsh by zacharytong, on Flickr

Public Hunting Grounds by zacharytong, on Flickr

I was curious what wide open (f/3.5) would look like. The answer is: soft and swirly, pincushion distortion, although I could see it being fun for certain situations in the future

Cattail by zacharytong, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'd suggest setting your black/white points correctly, looks like you just pulled them straight from the scanner without adjustment.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

ansel autisms posted:

I'd suggest setting your black/white points correctly, looks like you just pulled them straight from the scanner without adjustment.

Argh, I actually struggled with them for ages in Lightroom. I inverted in Lightroom this time so I didn't have to jump hoops in photoshop: my copy of PS doesn't like ARW files, so I have to convert to DNG then downsample to TIF before editing in Lightroom. But because the inversion is done with the curve in lightroom, all the sliders are backwards and my brain melts.

Will take another crack at processing tonight :(

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Yeah, Lightroom seriously needs a better way of inverting. People have been asking for that feature for years and Adobe doesn't give a poo poo.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

polyfractal posted:

Argh, I actually struggled with them for ages in Lightroom. I inverted in Lightroom this time so I didn't have to jump hoops in photoshop: my copy of PS doesn't like ARW files, so I have to convert to DNG then downsample to TIF before editing in Lightroom. But because the inversion is done with the curve in lightroom, all the sliders are backwards and my brain melts.

Will take another crack at processing tonight :(

What? Downsample to TIF? DNG is TIFF. It doesn't matter if your curve is inverted - just adjust the curve until you have actually black pixels. I'm not sure what you managed to do in LR beyond invert, it looks like a scan without any contrast adjustments at all.

This is just setting the black and white points and adding a bit of an S-curve:

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 26, 2015

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

ansel autisms posted:

What? Downsample to TIF? DNG is TIFF. It doesn't matter if your curve is inverted - just adjust the curve until you have actually black pixels. I'm not sure what you managed to do in LR beyond invert, it looks like a scan without any contrast adjustments at all.

This is just setting the black and white points and adding a bit of an S-curve:

Hrm, I thought the ARW -> DNG -> TIF process lost data in the process. I guess I was just confused, sorry for that.

This is my before / after. Not as much contrast as yours for sure, but I did make an effort to stretch the histogram some. Will do more next time :)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Stop messing with your lightroom sliders and learn how to use curves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Curves in Lightroom on negatives sucks, yes.

Extremely cramped and hard to do something precise.

It works somewhat better if you do a pre-process step to 16 bit TIFF with inverting and basic range cropping. Pre-process to DNG doesn't work though, because Lightroom saves the unprocessed image and then the processing settings, so importing that back in gives you nothing new to work with.

Not using Photoshop because it's stupid expensive.

Btw sorry for soiling the medium/large format thread with a small format negative.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 26, 2015

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

How do people here take notes on location, time, and exposure settings for your film when out in the field?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

How do people here take notes on location, time, and exposure settings for your film when out in the field?

I used to do that at the start with a notebook, I stopped after a few rolls when I realised I never referred to them at all. Maybe it would be useful if I was doing crazy zone system poo poo like Ansel Adams but so far I'm not thus it doesn't really matter for me. The easiest way now is probably just punch them into your phone.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

nielsm posted:

Not using Photoshop because it's stupid expensive.

Curves is definitely something you can do in something lovely like the gimp or paint.net without problems

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also your can pay monthly with CC so it's not prohibitively expensive now.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

alkanphel posted:

I used to do that at the start with a notebook, I stopped after a few rolls when I realised I never referred to them at all. Maybe it would be useful if I was doing crazy zone system poo poo like Ansel Adams but so far I'm not thus it doesn't really matter for me. The easiest way now is probably just punch them into your phone.

I actually went back to pen and a moleskine for this after using Evernote because I found it quicker and simpler than dicking around with my phone every time I wanted to record information about an exposure.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

polyfractal posted:

I was curious what wide open (f/3.5) would look like. The answer is: soft and swirly, pincushion distortion, although I could see it being fun for certain situations in the future

Cattail by zacharytong, on Flickr

From another folder user/fan.

Wide open is usually OK, but you chose basically the double worst case scenario which is wide open and close up. Any lens will suffer in this scenario, folders like this especially.

Folders like the Ikonta and the Perkeo use a so called "front cell" focussing method. That means only the first element (group) moves to focus VS the whole lens, which called unit focus and is usually better. Some folders like the Mamiya Six (not the plastic one, the folder) and some others have it. The Mamiya actually circumvents this whole problem by leaving the lens alone and moving the film, achieving the same thing, essentially.

What does that mean for you?
It means those lenses are usually either corrected for mid-distances (think people shots) or infinity, where they perform at their best. Everything outside that range is usually OK, but not great close to wide-open.

That said, listen to Ansel Autisms: You should set your black points and contrast properly coz it will improve the image rendition. A lot.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

VomitOnLino posted:

Wide open is usually OK, but you chose basically the double worst case scenario which is wide open and close up. Any lens will suffer in this scenario, folders like this especially. Folders like the Ikonta and the Perkeo use a so called "front cell" focussing method.

That said, listen to Ansel Autisms: You should set your black points and contrast properly coz it will improve the image rendition. A lot.

Ah, interesting. I wanted to try wide open, but was afraid I'd miss focus on a farther away target, so I chose something close. Didn't realize it carried performance implications depending on distance to target. Will keep that in mind in the future, thanks.

And yeah, point taken about the black points :)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
e: nvm

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 27, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

polyfractal posted:

Yep, so I took this advice. Decided on a Voigtlander Perkeo II, since it seemed to have pretty good optics and shutter, as well as being ridicuslously small (which will make it nicely pocketable for work travel).
I took it out this weekend and shot a few rolls. Finished developing and scanning the first one last night, it makes some nice photos! I
I love everything about this, even your scanning and post-processing. Awesome!

Helicity posted:

When I'm on the ball, a pencil and a rite-in-the-rain notebook, and I put the camera down between shots so I can write down all the things. Ideally BEFORE I shoot, so I can write down the settings actually used.
I'm never on the ball, though (other than that one time), so I'll scribble some half-assed notes in a non-waterproof notebook, or on the back of a receipt, then lose the paper before I get around developing the film. :downs:
Sometimes I'll put a few notes into my phone, but not often.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC8043-Edit by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

The 6x9 Back on my Mamiya can make decent panoramic pictures with some cropping. Something I will have to investigate further.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Putrid Grin posted:

_DSC8043-Edit by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

The 6x9 Back on my Mamiya can make decent panoramic pictures with some cropping. Something I will have to investigate further.

drat, that's nice.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hougang by alkanphel, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Helicity posted:

I'll add coordinates to my GPS if I see something that might look cool in different light or at a different point in the year, but other than that, shooting instead of writing things down will get you where you're going a lot faster. Once you get a solid amount of fuckups under your belt, things will be intuitive enough.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I have a notebook for jotting down potential locations that might be good to revisit if the light is bad when I am there. Not so much for writing down technical details because it doesn't matter and 90% of the time is going to be f16 or f11 @ 1/250th

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Have you noticed a significant developing time difference between 120 and 135 Tri-X in HC-110 (1 + 46)? I thought dev times were usually the same for 135 and 120, but DigitalTruth is saying 7 minutes for 135 and 8 minutes for 120.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

mulls posted:

Have you noticed a significant developing time difference between 120 and 135 Tri-X in HC-110 (1 + 46)? I thought dev times were usually the same for 135 and 120, but DigitalTruth is saying 7 minutes for 135 and 8 minutes for 120.

I doubt 1 minute would change anything in the end result of the development, especially with that dilution ratio.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Overall surface area doesn't affect development time

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/ 6.5 minutes at dilution E (1:47) shot at 400

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Finally starting to get my vietnam photos scanned in. 13 rolls to go.

Rice Fields of Sapa, Vietnam by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

The first time I loaded a roll of film into my new Mamiya C220, I hadn't closed the back properly, so the frame counter never clicked over to 1 before I had wound the entire roll onto the take up spool. I stuck it in a dark bag and tried to wind it back on to the original spool, but I think I got fingerprints all over the emulsion and probably didn't wind it very tightly before taking it out of the dark bag. I'm going to burn off and dev this roll really quickly just to make sure the mechanics all work.

But on the whole, medium format is as cool as it gets.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Busy January so far!

May by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Busy January so far!

May by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

I'm curious on what aperture you shot that at? I haven't shot any real portraits with the 6x7 yet really...and will be soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Can someone explain to me the difference between a circular polarizer and a linear polarizer? I keep reading that circular polarizers are more geared towards those with autofocus and with ttl metering. Since I am using a Hasselblad with a WLF is there any reason I should spend the near $100 extra to get a circular polarizer? Also how do you compensate with your metering? Since I can't put the filter on a handheld light meter, how do I get a proper exposure?

• Locked thread