Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kreeblah posted:

Chrono Trigger on a 1CHIP-03 SFC. On the off chance that it's my cable (because I don't actually remember what the details are on it), I just ordered a new CSYNC one from Retro Access and if that doesn't work, I'll have to dig out my other SFCs and SNESs and try them. I also just tried upgrading my XRGB to 1.11 with no meaningful changes, so whatever's going on, it's probably not that.

Because it's Chrono Trigger on a 1CHIP, the CYSNC cable will make it work. That's the issue. You solved it already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cubey posted:

there are more good master system games than saturn or dreamcast games, so

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Kreeblah posted:

Chrono Trigger on a 1CHIP-03 SFC. On the off chance that it's my cable (because I don't actually remember what the details are on it), I just ordered a new CSYNC one from Retro Access and if that doesn't work, I'll have to dig out my other SFCs and SNESs and try them. I also just tried upgrading my XRGB to 1.11 with no meaningful changes, so whatever's going on, it's probably not that.

I picked up a 1CHIP-03 SNES recently, and it took a bit of time to figure out its unique video issues. That particular board revision doesn't provide proper sync over composite for whatever reason, so you get issues in Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Demons Crest, and Chrono Trigger.

The 1CHIP-03 also lacks a CSYNC connection by default, so it requires a mod in addition to a CSYNC cable. I ended up wiring it to pin 3 of the Multi-out connector just like on a modded SNES-Mini to resolve the sync issues:

http://retrorgb.com/snescsync.html

On the S-RGB chip, I'd recommend getting sync from pin 7/CSYNC IN, as pin 18/CSYNC OUT gave me the same jittering issues as using composite video for sync.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Speaking of Dreamcast games. I'm off on another business trip to Columbus and am bringing my Dreamcast. Since Beat em Ups are my favorite genre, I thought I'd give the Beats of Rage homebrew stuff a go. Any ideas where I can get the best/newest/most complete cdi's of these?

Also any other games/homebrew suggestions would rock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RodShaft posted:

Speaking of Dreamcast games. I'm off on another business trip to Columbus and am bringing my Dreamcast. Since Beat em Ups are my favorite genre, I thought I'd give the Beats of Rage homebrew stuff a go. Any ideas where I can get the best/newest/most complete cdi's of these?

Also any other games/homebrew suggestions would rock.

Tech Romancer. Every Dreamcast owner should own Tech Romancer. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

This might seem like a stupid question, but:

1. Does this cable have audio out plugs?
2. If so, are you sure you have the red video plugged in, rather than the red audio cable?

It happened to me once!

Not unless they made the blue cable an audio plug

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dynamite Cop, homie.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dynamite Cop, homie.

I now have the gun, fishing pole, and arcade stick, but I'm not bringing them to a hotel.

I remember in college having discs and discs of emulators and homebrew for the Dreamcast(no need to pirate, gf worked at slackers... hell it was her Dreamcast in my dormroom since she stayed there more than I did). Thats when I fell in love with a Japanese snes soccer game where you'd go into a dragon warrior type battle screen whenever you'd go near a opponent. It was all in moon language buy I played the Hell out of it. I'd kill for knowing what it was and an English translation... But back to finding the best BOR compilation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RodShaft posted:

I now have the gun, fishing pole, and arcade stick, but I'm not bringing them to a hotel.

I remember in college having discs and discs of emulators and homebrew for the Dreamcast(no need to pirate, gf worked at slackers... hell it was her Dreamcast in my dormroom since she stayed there more than I did). Thats when I fell in love with a Japanese snes soccer game where you'd go into a dragon warrior type battle screen whenever you'd go near a opponent. It was all in moon language buy I played the Hell out of it. I'd kill for knowing what it was and an English translation... But back to finding the best BOR compilation.

Sounds like an Izanuma game to me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That sounds a lot like one of Tecmo's Captain Tsubasa games. There were a bunch of 'em across NES, SNES and Megadrive, including a couple in English and even one in Spanish, I think.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you but Dynamite Cop isn't a gun game, it's a (good) beatemup. You may be confusing with Virtua Cop. Also, get Zombie Revenge which is a DC beatemup based on House of the Dead

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

d0s posted:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you but Dynamite Cop isn't a gun game, it's a (good) beatemup. You may be confusing with Virtua Cop. Also, get Zombie Revenge which is a DC beatemup based on House of the Dead

I MEANT TO PLAY IT WITH THE FISHING CONTROLLER!

Thanks for the recommendations. Columbus has enough retro stores I'm sure I can find one of them.

I may have a copy of one or the other. Stupid storage. I need to buy another house.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I know a PS2 is hardly retro, but I have one that's been around for over a decade, now (oldschool phat) and has never had component cables hooked up to it. The other day, I finally got around to buying some, and when I hooked them up one of the lines out wasn't sending any signal (so some of the colors were missing). It's not the cable, I've since tried a couple with no luck. Am I hosed?

I have the same issue with my fat and there's just no way around it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

d0s posted:

That said there are like 2 good master system games and that poo poo belongs in the trash, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgW-2orQQg

I think the Master System had a pretty good library for the small number of games it has. Just off the top of my head

Rastan
Golvellius: Valley of Doom
Maze Hunter 3D
Altered Beast
Columns
Fantasy Zone: The Maze
Golden Axe
Missile Defense 3D
R-Type
Spy vs Spy

That's just off the top of my head. It probably feels like a lot less given how small the US library is (~100+, IIRC), but I'd bet that the number of good games as a percentage of its library is not much worse than the NES.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgW-2orQQg

I think the Master System had a pretty good library for the small number of games it has. Just off the top of my head

Rastan
Golvellius: Valley of Doom
Maze Hunter 3D
Altered Beast
Columns
Fantasy Zone: The Maze
Golden Axe
Missile Defense 3D
R-Type
Spy vs Spy

That's just off the top of my head. It probably feels like a lot less given how small the US library is (~100+, IIRC), but I'd bet that the number of good games as a percentage of its library is not much worse than the NES.

the sonic & wonder boy games were good

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Alex Kidd in Miracle World!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Cubey posted:

there are more good master system games than saturn or dreamcast games, so

Make a list please. I'm curious to read your reasoning. The Master System has a library of 318 games, compared to ~600 and ~700 on the Saturn and Dreamcast respectively.

midge fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 27, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's a pretty lovely reasoning.

Still, the Master System has some impressive gems like Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap, and Golden Axe Warrior (a Zelda-like), as well as a good version of Bubble Bobble (much better than the NES one if I recall right), and the two main Sonic games were pretty great. Oh, and Alex Kidd in Miracle World, yeah, that was pretty unique.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 27, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World!

No. The rock-paper-scissors mechanic is terrible and should have never been put in a game.

Master System also has the good home port of the original Double Dragon, the best version of Choplifter, and I really like Kenseiden.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, I've only ever beaten that game with save states for that reason.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Random Stranger posted:

I have the same issue with my fat and there's just no way around it.

God drat it. Is it a fat thing in general? I really wanted to play games in 480p for once :(

E: re master system, its not a great console but dragon's trap is pretty awesome

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

God drat it. Is it a fat thing in general? I really wanted to play games in 480p for once :(

I thought it was just mine that was broken or something like that, other fats seemed to do it okay, but you've been through all the steps that I have (except I've also tried multiple RGB cables) it sounds like you're in the exact same situation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

midge posted:

Make a list please. I'm curious to read your reasoning. The Master System has a library of 318 games, compared to ~600 and ~700 on the Saturn and Dreamcast respectively.

Well my reasoning starts with the Saturn somehow having significantly fewer games worth playing than the N64 and PS1, both of which themselves really suffer from having a ton of 'good' games that look and play like absolute dog poo poo. And I say that as someone who grew up with them. And the Dreamcast has some good games, but I've always found a good portion of those games considered to be 'good' to be completely underwhelming. Really the only games I actually care about on it at all are Powerstone 2, Rush 2049, Hydro Thunder and Chu Chu Rocket.

Meanwhile the Master System had excellent versions of Choplifter and noted best shmup ever R-Type (though its version of R-Type became useless to me when I got a TG16), and it also has things like Ys, Shinobi, Marble Madness, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Thunder Blade and Phantasy Star. Until my power supply for it blew, I played it a hell of a lot more often than my Dreamcast, which I don't think I've actually touched in like 5+ years.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^^ you are a broken man

I went on a date with someone who has a bigger game collection than I do. :allears:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Caitlin posted:

I went on a date with someone who has a bigger game collection than I do. :allears:

But what was their high score in Splatterhouse?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Cubey posted:

Well my reasoning starts with the Saturn somehow having significantly fewer games worth playing than the N64 and PS1, both of which themselves really suffer from having a ton of 'good' games that look and play like absolute dog poo poo. And I say that as someone who grew up with them. And the Dreamcast has some good games, but I've always found a good portion of those games considered to be 'good' to be completely underwhelming. Really the only games I actually care about on it at all are Powerstone 2, Rush 2049, Hydro Thunder and Chu Chu Rocket.

Meanwhile the Master System had excellent versions of Choplifter and noted best shmup ever R-Type (though its version of R-Type became useless to me when I got a TG16), and it also has things like Ys, Shinobi, Marble Madness, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Thunder Blade and Phantasy Star. Until my power supply for it blew, I played it a hell of a lot more often than my Dreamcast, which I don't think I've actually touched in like 5+ years.

Now That's What I Call Subjective™

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Cubey posted:

Meanwhile the Master System had excellent versions of Choplifter and noted best shmup ever R-Type (though its version of R-Type became useless to me when I got a TG16), and it also has things like Ys...

Shouldn't the Master System version of Ys also have also become useless when you got a TG-16? Especially since the Master System version was only Book 1.

(Okay, I guess you also needed the CD attachment for Ys, but still.)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^^ get a duo, scrubs

univbee posted:

But what was their high score in Splatterhouse?

C'mon now, I have to have realistic expectations here. :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Codiekitty posted:

Shouldn't the Master System version of Ys also have also become useless when you got a TG-16? Especially since the Master System version was only Book 1.

It's on the TGCD, which is really expensive, and also the game itself is insanely priced. I do hope to own it someday, but I'll have to wait until the bubble bursts or something because, drat.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
There's a setting in the System Configuration menu on a Fat PS2 where you choose between YPbPr and RGB. I think the fats default to RGB and you have to change the setting.

Couldn't get my piece of poo poo gamestop component cable to work until I figured this out.

Blurry-rear end tracfone camera pic:

This is on a SCPH-30001 R

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Cubey posted:

It's on the TGCD, which is really expensive, and also the game itself is insanely priced. I do hope to own it someday, but I'll have to wait until the bubble bursts or something because, drat.

You can play burned discs, y'know.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cubey posted:

IIRC you can get it digitally on Japanese PSN (as in it's the emulated PCE version). Might even be a PSP/Vita-compatible title, I think it was a freebie and I downloaded it to my PSTV.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Caitlin posted:

You can play burned discs, y'know.

gently caress. That. :colbert:

Plus I'd still need to sink money into a TGCD anyway, which I'm not really concerned with doing until I round out my collection of regular TG16 games. I wish I could go back in time to when I first bought the console for 50 bucks CIB and when even the rarest games for it were in the 20-30 dollar range. The market for this thing has gone completely retarded since 2008.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cubey posted:

The market for this thing has gone completely retarded since 2008.

Now there's a new thread title.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Caitlin posted:

^^ get a duo, scrubs

When I got my TG-CD, a Duo was actually more expensive than getting a TG-16 with CD attachment, a converter card, and a Japanese Super CD card and probably still is. Plus, I get to play card-based PC Engine games.

Cubey posted:

The TG-CD doesn't have any copy or region protection, so if you really wanted to you could just burn Ys. That's what I did with Super Air Zonk, because screw you if you think I'm paying $200 for a game I could finish in a day.

(EDIT: Ninja'd)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So wait, Ys for the TG16 CD is expensive now?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RadicalR posted:

So wait, Ys for the TG16 CD is expensive now?

There is currently 1 ebay listing for it at all, for $99.99. I guess it depends on what you consider to be expensive for a retro game (there are certainly a lot of games that are worse), but 100 bucks for one game is no joke.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Codiekitty posted:

When I got my TG-CD, a Duo was actually more expensive than getting a TG-16 with CD attachment, a converter card, and a Japanese Super CD card and probably still is. Plus, I get to play card-based PC Engine games.

The TG-CD doesn't have any copy or region protection, so if you really wanted to you could just burn Ys. That's what I did with Super Air Zonk, because screw you if you think I'm paying $200 for a game I could finish in a day.

(EDIT: Ninja'd)

If you don't want to be a smart person and wait for Doujindance you can always :

http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_21_70&sort=20a&page=1&zenid=atp565036hsm62jres4p6vh2m5

This is the :retrogames: thread, if it's not :retrogames: you're doing it wrong.

(sake of disclosure I'm the person with a Duo, an Express and two TG-16s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Some of the completed listings go down to $30 for just the disc, whereas a copy with manual and case goes for $40 - $80. A copy with the box went for $180.

But holy poo poo, when did Wanderers from Ys start costing $70 - $100? That game came with my TG-CD and I think I paid, like, $130 (plus shipping) for the whole set.

EDIT: That is, for the console, carry case, and a couple games. I got the converter and JP Super CD card later.

Caitlin posted:

If you don't want to be a smart person and wait for Doujindance you can always :

http://gamedoctorhk.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72_21_70&sort=20a&page=1&zenid=atp565036hsm62jres4p6vh2m5

This is the :retrogames: thread, if it's not :retrogames: you're doing it wrong.

(sake of disclosure I'm the person with a Duo, an Express and two TG-16s)
I'm part Scottish so I'm stingy as hell. So I'm mad that that place is selling a converter card for $65 when I paid at least $100 for mine.

Also, awesome, that site sells Cho Aniki. I already have it (and Ai Cho Aniki), but I still think that's great.

Codiekitty fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread