Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

real bbq is the one food you can't get here, the bay area maxes out at "acceptable" for some reason

probably because if you were running a smoker 24/7 your neighbors would sue you and get you shut down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

daft punk railroad posted:

do people not realize that you can just slow cook bbq at home and spend that time doing literally anything else

especially since the tech bubble has seen fit to provide us internet enabled grills and smokers

http://www.gizmag.com/lynx-voice-command-smart-grill/31535/

for some reason, an internet connected grill that relies on downloaded recipes to determine when and how long to fire up its burners doesn't sound like that smart an idea

doubly so since it's supposed to be some set-it and forget it type appliance

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

real bbq is the one food you can't get here, the bay area maxes out at "acceptable" for some reason

probably because if you were running a smoker 24/7 your neighbors would sue you and get you shut down

yeah ive felt bad for graham ever since he moved out there. i dunno what you guys call existence in a world without brisket and burnt ends, aint life though

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah ive felt bad for graham ever since he moved out there. i dunno what you guys call existence in a world without brisket and burnt ends, aint life though

Last time I checked, graham seemed to be getting plenty of brisket lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

they're too white

although Korean bbq owns

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

yeah there was something similar to chariot that was doing a fidi <> marina route a couple years ago but it didn't pan out, I think no matter what you can't beat traffic

cole valley seems weird because the N runs like right there

all of them seem to think they can gloss over not being able to beat traffic by providing cheap charter bus level amenities while riding, lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

computer parts posted:

although Korean bbq owns
yes it does I use cj brand [lol] korean bbq sauce on chicken and it is amazing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I kind of want to sign up as an uber driver with my motorcycle and see what happens. Make it very clear in my "page" or whatever that I am a motorcycle and can only carry one person but see how many people sign up cause I can beat traffic every time

(No dudes and no fat chicks)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There were motorcycle taxis all over China when I lived there but I wasn't ready to take my life in someone else's hands like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

I kind of want to sign up as an uber driver with my motorcycle and see what happens. Make it very clear in my "page" or whatever that I am a motorcycle and can only carry one person but see how many people sign up cause I can beat traffic every time

(No dudes and no fat chicks)

you wont be able to sign up

reminder that we know a guy down in little rock that bought a new STi to augment his 370z (yeah i know) under the predication that he could drive uber to pay for it

not checking with uber to see if they'd allow a silver subaru to drive regular tier uber

they would not

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why not? I wasn't aware that they had a list of acceptable vehicles

This seems more and more like a taxi service and less like two friendly people sharing their vehicle for money every day!!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

idk where the ces thread is so here you go http://pando.com/2015/01/23/quiz-ces-gadget-or-skymall-product/

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
i think there should be a discounted uber tier where it has to be a K-platform car

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Phoning It In posted:

i think there should be a discounted uber tier where it has to be a K-platform car

ah yes, gÜber

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bassguitarhero posted:

so i went to brunch with my white friend on sunday to some upscale brunch place called "Dottie's" on 6th street which is a whole story in its own, but she tells me about this new bus/uber/lyft alternative called "Chariot" where you pay $4 to hop in a van that has a semi-preselected route but the driver asks what stop you want and if no one wants the transamerican pyramid for example, then they skip it.

so of course this basically just sounds like what bus systems were before they failed as private companies and turned public, but the big selling point for her was that they could instantly get more vans on the road when they needed them, and take them off when they weren't needed. i asked what were they doing with the extra vans and drivers when they aren't needed, she said the workers were doing stuff in the office. i wake up this morning, turns out chariot is storing their extra vans in front of my apartment

lol at your white friend, lol at all white people

white

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

This seems more and more like a taxi service and less like two friendly people sharing their vehicle for money every day!!

the whole original point of uber was to ape black car services at a discount so you could feel white on a budget

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

Yup. They do. Back when I was on the bench at my old consulting gig I thought about doing uber for the gently caress of it but they didn't allow mustangs or any other coupes

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
in hindsight that was probably a good thing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
pplkpr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I haven't watched all of black mirror yet but I assume this is one of the episodes

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

it's basically a replacement for long-term memory of interactions with people so I'm guessing it's for people with brain injuries or who get blackout drunk all the loving time

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

WoW!
Now there's an app that informs users which people to become friends with and whom to avoid based off stress levels? Definitely sounds interesting... What do you think? Could this app inform users of which bills to pay and which not to pay, those can be stressful too!
Regardless, pplkpr should definitely post their apps on the M.A.P. MobileAppsPost. Your Map For All Apps.
http://www.mobileappspost.com

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol it's got a comment on every loving techcrunch article https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mobileappspost/350573768383632

Apr 7, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

it's basically a replacement for long-term memory of interactions with people so I'm guessing it's for people with brain injuries or who get blackout drunk all the loving time

Hello.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

and an indiegogo https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mobile-apps-post-everything-apps

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i really hate the name pplkpr

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't know if you guys get to experience this, but down in Dixie it's a big dick-swingin' thing to just ramp your truck forward over the parking spot block instead of backing out

you're not really swinging your dick unless you've eschewed the concept of the parking space completely and just start pulling over the barrier onto the sidewalk/grass.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 27, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i mean if you can't make the median in right front of the grocery store your own personal parking spot, are you really free? :freep:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the other day i saw a pickup perfectly straddling the line between two parking spaces. i actually could have squeezed my car between his driver's side and the next car but i'm sure that wouldn't have ended well for me

Apr 7, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

the other day i saw a pickup perfectly straddling the line between two parking spaces. i actually could have squeezed my car between his driver's side and the next car but i'm sure that wouldn't have ended well for me

sorry about that! lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shifty Pony posted:

they "rescued" a local place into a steampunk bar but gave it a name that made it seem like a bondage place.

"metal and lace"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

where's your forums cancer

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Yahoo is selling Alibaba discuss

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

As for carry while Ubering, my firearm comes out of my pocket while in the holster and goes in the side pocket of my door because I'm left handed. It's invisible there to pax. Many right handed people carry store their firearm between the driver's seat and center console or under the driver's seat. There are slim gun safes designed for vehicles for this purpose. In your vehicle, the firearm needs to be quickly accessible. That usually means not carrying on your waist, especially during colder weather when it could be covered by a shirt, a coat and a seat belt.

Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

As for carry while Ubering, my firearm comes out of my pocket while in the holster and goes in the side pocket of my door because I'm left handed. It's invisible there to pax. Many right handed people carry store their firearm between the driver's seat and center console or under the driver's seat. There are slim gun safes designed for vehicles for this purpose. In your vehicle, the firearm needs to be quickly accessible. That usually means not carrying on your waist, especially during colder weather when it could be covered by a shirt, a coat and a seat belt.

jesus loving christ

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

I started carrying a knife after some drunk douchebag tried to start some poo poo once motioning like he had something in his pocket for me.

I started loving with him taking a wrong turn here and there. Dude started acting all scary like I was taking him somewhere to kick his rear end. Made me drop him off like 2 blocks from his destination like he didn't want me to see where he lives lol.

Anyway I'll probably be the next uber driver on the news next time I have to deal with one of these fuckboys.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

To protect yourself and your passengers and have you ever used it.

I carry a led flashlight tazer, it's small, fits in the palm of your hand and a butterfly knife. I pulled it once when some guy jumped in my car and I had passengers. I discharged it and told him he had 3 seconds to get out of the car otherwise I would fry him. He looked at me like I was crazy. Yeah, he jumped into my car and I am the crazy one. Told him i wouldn't let off the trigger until the battery was fully discharged into his body. He decided to get out of the car.

Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

I started carrying a knife after some drunk douchebag tried to start some poo poo once motioning like he had something in his pocket for me.

I started loving with him taking a wrong turn here and there. Dude started acting all scary like I was taking him somewhere to kick his rear end. Made me drop him off like 2 blocks from his destination like he didn't want me to see where he lives lol.

Anyway I'll probably be the next uber driver on the news next time I have to deal with one of these fuckboys.

lol link please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did cory doctorow start driving uber or smth

• Locked thread