Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Played one of those games last night that makes me wish we had a backup goalie so I could've just pulled myself.

Played a team with a bunch of ringers who skated around 3/4ths of my team, I had to make a shitton of saves to keep it scoreless through the 1st and then in the 2nd it fell apart.

Their 1st was a crazy redirection that hit about 4 people before getting by me. The 2nd was a goal put into our own net by one of our worst players who decided he was going to simply blindly turn around and fire the puck behind the net. :wtc:

Managed to keep them from scoring again in the 2nd but everything came crashing down in the 3rd where they managed to get 4 more. I even had another teammate almost score on me again by doing another blind fire behind the net, thankfully I was in a position to make a crazy diving save to keep it out, afterwhich the ref came over and said "I don't know what more your team expects you to do when they're trying to shoot on you too"

After the game I even had one or two of their players comment on how many amazing saves I did make even though we lost 6-0. I really would've liked to have pulled myself after the 3rd and put on some player gear and score some goals myself because I'm pretty sure their goalie is godawful terrible but we couldn't get any real shots to actually test him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Got hit in the throat again lastnight. Still hurts today. I think I finally have to give in and get a dangler.

A dangler and/or Maltese combo. The Maltese combo has the additional benefit of giving you extra collar bone protection, which can sometimes be vulnerable even through a C/A.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Danglers are sweet. Sometimes I make sweet remixes by jingling it around. Refs give me the stink eye, but whatever.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

real_scud posted:

After the game I even had one or two of their players comment on how many amazing saves I did make even though we lost 6-0. I really would've liked to have pulled myself after the 3rd and put on some player gear and score some goals myself because I'm pretty sure their goalie is godawful terrible but we couldn't get any real shots to actually test him.

This isn't totally as bad as the two teams I'm on this season, but it's close. I'm getting sick of the other team complimenting how amazing I was when we lose 7-1.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I subbed for an A league team once and got murdered 10-1. The team talked about how well I played and offered me their normal goalie spot. Oh good game guys I'll get back to you pretty busy see you around *tires screeching*

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm pretty sure I managed to crack ribs on Friday night which wasn't a fun experience. The shot somehow managed to get me in the gap under my arm where your CA wraps around as I slid into it. Took the wind out of me straight away.

On the other hand I can now backside push to my left! The bad news is in doing so I've completely lost the ability to push to my right. Progress??!!

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Zip! posted:

I'm pretty sure I managed to crack ribs on Friday night which wasn't a fun experience. The shot somehow managed to get me in the gap under my arm where your CA wraps around as I slid into it. Took the wind out of me straight away.

On the other hand I can now backside push to my left! The bad news is in doing so I've completely lost the ability to push to my right. Progress??!!

Could you do three pushes to the left and end up going right? ;)

Yes, I am from Michigan.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

A dangler and/or Maltese combo. The Maltese combo has the additional benefit of giving you extra collar bone protection, which can sometimes be vulnerable even through a C/A.

This. I didn't go Maltese, but I do have the CCM throat protector and a dangler after I took a shot in the clavicle and narrowly missed straight trachea (with a dangler on).

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

This. I didn't go Maltese, but I do have the CCM throat protector and a dangler after I took a shot in the clavicle and narrowly missed straight trachea (with a dangler on).

Having two layers of protection is a good idea. The dangler should get most pucks, but the puck has a way of finding gaps in your protection and a puck to the throat is extremely dangerous. I do have a Maltese, but I should probably put a dangler back on to give myself some extra protection from shots to the chin and neck.

Speaking of Maltese, I am ordering a Maltese gel kit for my mask. It should be a bit more protective than standard foam and since I have access to someone who knows how to fit it properly. I've already added some Maltese foam with a chin sling (modified it last night to not block my mouth) and some new padding on my cheeks. I'm also going to replace the screws and possibly the straps and cage, since I have a lead on where to source one for my mask. My mask has a good shell, so it is just a matter of fixing the other parts to get it to where I feel comfortable using it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Zip! posted:

Catching up on the thread, Zip per your video and just general advice on lateral movement, with proper edges on the skate you should move at a right angle to where your toe is pointing when planting your foot correctly. Are your skates tied with even tightness? Maybe loosen up the elastic toe ties to allow for more ease of movement, I'm a big fan of sliding toe bridges myself.

Trix did you fill in at the Monday skate at VMIA?

Here's some photos of me at a MN NHL Alumni charity skate. For some reason I look fatter in my CA than usual but still floating around 190. I got to skate against Brian Bellows for the first time and made a big desperation glove save on him. He's crafty as hell in front of the net, did a few things I hadn't seen before as far as interfering with the goalie while looking innocent.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
That's awesome that you got to play against Brian Bellows. He was one of my favorite players as a kid and he was never tainted by playing in Dallas.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

titanium posted:

Catching up on the thread, Zip per your video and just general advice on lateral movement, with proper edges on the skate you should move at a right angle to where your toe is pointing when planting your foot correctly. Are your skates tied with even tightness? Maybe loosen up the elastic toe ties to allow for more ease of movement, I'm a big fan of sliding toe bridges myself.

Nice photos, man.

Its really weird, everything is equal equipment wise and my toe elastic feels plenty loose, that said a friend of mine is trying my pads tonight so I'll be using my old pads with a sliding toe bridge so that might make a difference.

I think the main difference is probably still just foot position - I upgraded to Step Extreme and my right foot push is still very toe heavy. Its just that I've just became a lot better at it all of a sudden to the point where my left foot push which is very heel heavy now feels cumbersome/unsteady. I guess I probably just need to spend some time (hopefully tonight) just pushing from goal line to blue line until I find a sweet spot for my left foot.

E: Day after update - using my old pads was horrific, I'd never noticed how bad they were having not used them since my G2s arrived. They don't move at all once they hit the ice and offer no support. I must've tweaked my knee 3 or 4 times last night when the pads suddenly came to a stop but my body wanted to keep moving - deep joy!

Zip! fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 29, 2015

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

titanium posted:

Trix did you fill in at the Monday skate at VMIA?

Nah, I play a surprisingly good open hockey game every Monday where the better players are junior level/NCAA d3. The one guy just consistently smokes me with his shot. How is the VMIA skate normally?

Also thanks to you I found a team for this past fall, originally I would've been SOL. Networked with some of those guys you play pickup games with at parade.

Now I'm back to the grind of the Blaine league. Play on two different teams there both of which are solid.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 29, 2015

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I did my first skills session in a long time last night. I wasn't comfortable at all during the individual shooting drills. It felt like the shots were too close together and there were a few guys who were shooting as hard as they could with their head down. There were two times that I felt so uncomfortable that I skated out of the net and took a break. Things got a little better when they started doing two man drills with passes and I only started to feel comfortable during the scrimmage, which I played well in. I am noticing that my skating is a lot better, which showed up more against faster/better players, but I am finding that I am having difficulty watching the release of the shot and tracking rebounds. I think a lot of that is nerves still and will get better as I start feeling more confident, but I need to correct that issue, otherwise I am making things more dangerous for myself than it needs to be.

I am trying to get myself ready to play in a league again in March. Though the guy that I had run my team for one season is being weird and it seems like he may be trying to force me out, since he has been talking about how much the team liked the goalie who filled in this past season. The thing is that we had a clear agreement that he was only acting as captain for one season and that I would resume my role as captain and goalie when I was healthy. The league director knows about the agreement, so I'll need to talk to both of them tonight and try to straighten things out. I just hate how everything always ends up being weird, but I can weather through them being babies about if it comes to that.

I am also going to check with the league director about seeing if I could move up to a slightly higher league, since I'd actually feel more comfortable playing against guys who are a bit more under control of themselves and would hopefully face a little more even talent level. I could also explore going back to the team I played for on Saturdays, but they haven't been very good since I left and have had trouble getting enough guys to show up, so I'd rather sub for them for the time being.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yo goalies, the goalie from one of my teams has a helmet that is super old, so we are all pitching in to buy him a new one. One dude said that this helmet was pretty good:

https://www.donsimmons.com/ecom/product/744

Seeing as we know nothing about goalie gear, can you guys tell me if this is a decent helmet? We don't want our goalie to fully turn his brain into scrambled eggs.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 7, 2015

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yo goalies, the goalie from one of my teams has a helmet that is super old, so we are all pitching in to buy him a new one. One dude said that this helmet was pretty good:

https://www.donsimmons.com/ecom/product/744

Seeing as we know nothing about goalie gear, can you guys tell me if this is a decent helmet? We don't want our goalie to fully turn his brain into scrambled eggs.

It's important that it fits well, you really need to try it on to gauge that.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
Hackvas are solid masks, he'll be fine with that. Or you could go cheaper and get an NME7/NME8-- still a decent level of protection at a softer price point. Or get a super custom one from Michel at Protechsport (best bang for your buck by far, but 8+weeks of waiting).

Hackvas used to be a great deal when they cost $350, but I think $550 is pushing it. Just my opinion.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

Wooty posted:

Thanks for those replies and ideas.

I have been frustrated by my butterfly slides and other movements. I am a good skater otherwise, it is just that I can't get this right. I think if I can get this improved I am moving in the right direction.

It is hard playing at the beginner level, none of the players can get it on net from the blue line and it is like following a pinball as it slowly comes creeping in.

I'm in a similar spot as you- I feel like I've got nothing when trying to push laterally as I'm down in a butterfly.

I've been trying this with a furniture slider pad under my knee-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb063l_kOWs

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

BulimicGoat posted:

I'm in a similar spot as you- I feel like I've got nothing when trying to push laterally as I'm down in a butterfly.

I've been trying this with a furniture slider pad under my knee-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb063l_kOWs

I have not had a chance to work on it, only playing once a week and now I am constantly babysitting grandkids.

The one instruction I received that started a bit of progress is that your skate needs to be in front of the non-pushing knee. Further forward then I had been doing it.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

Wooty posted:

I have not had a chance to work on it, only playing once a week and now I am constantly babysitting grandkids.

The one instruction I received that started a bit of progress is that your skate needs to be in front of the non-pushing knee. Further forward then I had been doing it.

I'm in the same boat as you- I only get one shot a week to be on the ice. I'll have to try that skate in front tip, thanks!

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Ok so I just got back from my one time a week game....

I lost 5-4, 4 of the goals were because I could not handle a bouncing puck up close or an offensive player close to me.

I am not sure how to improve the puck handling when up close and then the movement when the offense is moving across the front of the net.

My team provides zero help in the crease.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Tell me how I improve on this.

I catch with my left hand. When a guy is coming it to my left, I often times get beat high, sometimes low, blocker side. I feel like the angle is good, but I get beat on this more than any other shot. They are usually top or mid circle when shooting.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I volunteered to play goalie in a pickup game yesterday. Other team has a 2 on 1 where the puck carrier on my left threw a saucer pass to a right handed winger on my right. The winger was slightly ahead of both the D and the other forward so I had to get left to right in a hurry. The winger ended up one timing it high against the grain back to my left. I did one of those saves where my right knee went down to the ice but my left Knee went out and up to try and block the high shot the other way. The puck ended up hitting me on the inside of my thigh where there was no padding and I now have a massive welt there. I don't know how you people do this.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Vital Signs posted:

I catch with my left hand. When a guy is coming it to my left, I often times get beat high, sometimes low, blocker side. I feel like the angle is good, but I get beat on this more than any other shot. They are usually top or mid circle when shooting.

I've had this issue in the past and while I won't claim to have solved it, my suspicion would be that you are not as square to the puck as you think you are and/or there may be an issue with your depth. Especially, when shooters are moving, it can be easy to align yourself with the shooter and not the puck, which can create a situation where you think you are square, but you are giving them more space on the blocker side than you realize. Secondly, the further you come out, the more angle you will cut off, but if the shooter is moving, then the angle is changing and the further you are out challenging, the more you need to move to stay square to the puck. You want to be anywhere from 6-18" above the crease and you can make small shuffles/center-shifts to stay square with the puck. If you are too far out, then you need to move larger distances to stay square and if you are too deep, then you are giving the shooter a lot of room to work with.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jovial Cow posted:

I volunteered to play goalie in a pickup game yesterday. Other team has a 2 on 1 where the puck carrier on my left threw a saucer pass to a right handed winger on my right. The winger was slightly ahead of both the D and the other forward so I had to get left to right in a hurry. The winger ended up one timing it high against the grain back to my left. I did one of those saves where my right knee went down to the ice but my left Knee went out and up to try and block the high shot the other way. The puck ended up hitting me on the inside of my thigh where there was no padding and I now have a massive welt there. I don't know how you people do this.

What pants are you wearing?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I'm not entirely sure, Bauer Goalie pants of some sort, I have no idea what model type they were though.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Vital Signs posted:

2 things; 1 you're probably overcompensating for the angle change and moving too far over to your left, 2 you're probably not square to the shot and are opening up a lane for the puck to travel through (an extreme example of this to help visualize what I mean would be if you lined up for a shot from the left point, but your body is facing the right point - location wise you're in the correct spot but nearly none of your blocking surface is filling the shot lane).

So number 1, here is a really good video on being patient on your feet - http://vimeo.com/116578881 - essentially the concept is you let the shooter get slightly ahead of your shuffle which takes away the against the grain option and lets you use your momentum to push into the shot if they go for the far post.

Number 2, I always try to keep the middle of my stickblade centered in my stance but also facing the puck at all times. This means that if I have to turn my wrist to face the puck, I know that my shoulders and hips need to rotate as well for me to be square. From there it is just a simple case of finding the right depth to fill the shot lane and take away the angle.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the replies. Both are extremely helpful. I do think a big issue is that I follow the body and not the puck, as I'm a convert from skating out. I picked up goalie so I could play with a few buddies who have recently gotten into the sport. I guess years of being taught to take the body are screwing me over when in net. I'll see how centering myself on their stick goes.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Zip! posted:

2 things; 1 you're probably overcompensating for the angle change and moving too far over to your left, 2 you're probably not square to the shot and are opening up a lane for the puck to travel through (an extreme example of this to help visualize what I mean would be if you lined up for a shot from the left point, but your body is facing the right point - location wise you're in the correct spot but nearly none of your blocking surface is filling the shot lane).

So number 1, here is a really good video on being patient on your feet - http://vimeo.com/116578881 - essentially the concept is you let the shooter get slightly ahead of your shuffle which takes away the against the grain option and lets you use your momentum to push into the shot if they go for the far post.

Number 2, I always try to keep the middle of my stickblade centered in my stance but also facing the puck at all times. This means that if I have to turn my wrist to face the puck, I know that my shoulders and hips need to rotate as well for me to be square. From there it is just a simple case of finding the right depth to fill the shot lane and take away the angle.

That's a much better explanation than mine, particularly the parts about letting the shooter get slightly ahead of you, so that they can't shoot against the grain on you, and that you can physically be in the right spot, but if you're body isn't square, then you are not covering nearly as much net as you think you are. I'm in the process of getting my patience back after being out for a while, so that video was a good review for me to see.

I also got almost all of the foam on my mask replaced with Maltese gel. The fit seems to be a lot better, the mask is lighter, and since they use a lot less gel than you would traditional foam, and the airflow in the mask should be much improved. I haven't replaced the foam on the back plate yet with gel and I may do that after I get some new straps for my mask, but we'll see. The gel is supposed to do a better job of dissipating energy than traditional foam, so that along with the better fit should hopefully be more protective. I'm still in the process of deciding what I think of the chin sling, so I need to give that a little more time. I'm skating tonight, so it should be a good chance for me to see what I think of all of the changes.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
The ToeHooks I bought ended up coming early and I had a chance to install them before my game tonight. I've never played with any type of toe ties, so I can't judge it as an alternative. My pads weren't over rotating and snapped back into place after a butterfly- plus I didn't have to worry about tying laces up beforehand. Overall, I'd recommend them

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

BulimicGoat posted:

The ToeHooks I bought ended up coming early and I had a chance to install them before my game tonight. I've never played with any type of toe ties, so I can't judge it as an alternative. My pads weren't over rotating and snapped back into place after a butterfly- plus I didn't have to worry about tying laces up beforehand. Overall, I'd recommend them

The Brians velcro toe ties are another good option. I've used them about 4 times so far and have been really happy with them.

I skated in a pickup game tonight. I felt a bit more comfortable in net, but I was still a little too passive at times and was staying on my feet too much, which led to me giving up some goals that I should have definitely stopped. It's a process, but I need to start pushing myself to be more aggressive on the ice and I think once I do that my results will get a lot better. Not unexpected, but frustrating. I will say that I'm having some issues tracking shots and rebounds, so I might try to arrange a lesson in the next week or two to try and work on those areas.

The new padding in my mask worked well tonight. The fit was great and I took one hard shot to the mask with no ill-effects, so at least so far it is doing its job.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Aniki posted:

The Brians velcro toe ties are another good option. I've used them about 4 times so far and have been really happy with them.

I skated in a pickup game tonight. I felt a bit more comfortable in net, but I was still a little too passive at times and was staying on my feet too much, which led to me giving up some goals that I should have definitely stopped. It's a process, but I need to start pushing myself to be more aggressive on the ice and I think once I do that my results will get a lot better. Not unexpected, but frustrating. I will say that I'm having some issues tracking shots and rebounds, so I might try to arrange a lesson in the next week or two to try and work on those areas.

The new padding in my mask worked well tonight. The fit was great and I took one hard shot to the mask with no ill-effects, so at least so far it is doing its job.

What's this gel stuff you're talking about? I might be looking to do something similar.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Spookydonut posted:

What's this gel stuff you're talking about? I might be looking to do something similar.

Maltese gel, I ordered the 3/8" kit. I know a Maltese rep, so I got a bit of a price break, but I used the difference to pay him to install it for me. I can take some pictures tonight to show how it is installed in my mask, but I definitely felt that the fit and airflow were better and my mask feels quite a bit lighter as well.

http://maltesesports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Attached is a photo of the Maltese gel installed in my mask. The backplate still has regular foam for now and the chin sling was handmade by my friend, which is why it looks rougher than the other pieces. As you can see, he used a lot less gel than you would with standard foam. The fit is very good so far and it is definitely lighter and cooler than the old foam was. Hard to comment on protection since I've only used the chin sling a few times and the full install only once, but I have noticed that the chin sling acts as a bit of a dampener and I added a dangler as a dampener as well, thinking that any shots that hit the dangler would lose some energy by the time they hit my mask. Everything is a bit of a guessing game when it comes to protecting your head, but I know that fit is very important and that certainly seems to be improved.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm not sure if we should consider Aniki an expert or an idiot when it comes to head protection.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I'm not sure if we should consider Aniki an expert or an idiot when it comes to head protection.

I can't really argue with that. I will say it is one of those subjects that the more I learn about it, the more I realize how much I don't know and from talking to some experts it seems like they don't know yet either.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
I remember looking up Maltese gel when I was having pain on my ankle bone. Seems like a lot of good products there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to an open hockey on Friday. It was the fastest skate that I've done since I've returned and I didn't play very well. I still felt tentative and was staying up on my feet too much. I started fairing a little better once the pace slowed, but it still feels like the biggest thing for me right now is getting my confidence and timing back. On the positive side of things, my stamina is getting a lot better and I made it through the full session without any problems.

I am going to go to another open hockey session on Monday and will try to get a lesson in this week, so hopefully I'll start getting more confident in net soon.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Bradf0rd and I played against each other Sunday at mixed league, and we both brought our GoPros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InhxQ5gs5-U

Also, Molson wins the wildcard game 0-5. First shutout with them. Though truth be told I wish the shutout came tonight, we play the first place team and they are going to be a challenge. But I'll take a win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx3XP0XKg6o

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to open hockey this afternoon and I did a bit better than I did on Friday. I feel like I'm starting to get more confident, my timing got better as the session wore on, and I'm getting a little more comfortable butterflying against live shots. I'm still not where I want to be yet, but it was encouraging to see some signs of progress. I also made a nice glove save through traffic and a couple of athletic saves, though I'm still staying on my feet too much, I'm vulnerable against backdoor passes, and I feel like my body is not square to the puck, so those are issues that I need to address.

I do have a goalie lesson scheduled for Wednesday morning before work, so I'll focus on those and some other issues that I've noticed and hopefully that will help me get back on track. I'm also hoping to get on the ice on Friday, but I'm not sure if I'll do open hockey or go to a skills session instead. I'm leaning slightly towards open hockey, since I think that playing against faster players is good for me right now, but it just depends if I can get off of work early enough to get there.

Edit: I should dig out my GoPro and get some footage again. It will be ugly right now, but it would still help me figure out how out of position I am on some plays.

• Locked thread