Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Anyone have the original video of Mac Marketing with the two ladies from "China" looking to buy a condo for Chinese New Year?

I'd like to have it for the future when I tell people "told you so". There are videos of after the fact about them but I cannot find the original CTV (Global?) bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

OSI bean dip posted:

Anyone have the original video of Mac Marketing with the two ladies from "China" looking to buy a condo for Chinese New Year?

I'd like to have it for the future when I tell people "told you so". There are videos of after the fact about them but I cannot find the original CTV (Global?) bit.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2469665470/

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

peter banana posted:

In Toronto, it's because we get hosed constantly by the rest of the province (and country).

Our premier is the personification of Toronto, you elected the poo poo out of her and gave her a majority. Toronto has overwhelmingly voted for the OLP who have been in power making the money spending decisions for the last 12 years. There's no way Toronto is getting hosed harder per capita by the province than anyone else. I don't blame the country for not handing the province money, we're running a $12b deficit with too many $100m+ scandals and cash giveaways to profitable corporations to even count anymore. drat those conservatives for not giving us more money to stuff into Ford's (auto) piggybank.

peter banana posted:

they'll be in the cold, cold ground before they allow their tax dollars to fund an upgrade to our literally crumbling infrastructure

How do non-Torontonians have any say in how provincial money gets spent? How do I become one of these people who actually has a say?

peter banana posted:

Also, we have had an almost comical parade of idiot mayors

You elected those idiot mayors using the same keen voting skills you used to keep the Ontario Liberals in power for over a decade. Ooh but everything is the rest of the province and country's fault, no wonder gently caress Toronto is the winning platform.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Yeah. That is the one I kept finding (plus the CTV one) but there was a CTV or Global video that was the original.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
It's funny because Toronto votes to gently caress Toronto.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

OSI bean dip posted:

Yeah. That is the one I kept finding (plus the CTV one) but there was a CTV or Global video that was the original.

Found it:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2333674031/
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/year-of-the-snake-nets-condo-sales-developers-1.1150505

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Link? As a cyclist, I enjoy car-commute schadenfreude.
This is at noon on a Saturday. It's no surprise to me that Ontarian suburbanites are so angry and lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miErXMuzxAA

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We lived in that area. That isn't so bad for that stretch of road. It gets much much worse than that when its actually busy.

We moved to loving Winnipeg so we wouldn't have to drive that road any more.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

"To be honest with you, it's fairly small, but for the price, it's worth it," said Ramadan Eshref, who visited the sales centre and was considering buying a suite in the building for his son, a recent university graduate.

"For a single man like my son, for example, it's reasonable. Hopefully it will be a start for him."

What a great dad! :haw:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vancouver anecdote time

I have long suspected that when the tide finally recedes in Vancouver, what we are going to find naked in the surf was our local real estate community and less random idiots buying million dollar homes. (Though I am sure there are enough of the latter to go around.)

I present here just two examples from my daily commute.

This new build was completed about a year ago. Looks like a lane house + garden (basement for you non-Vancouverites) suite, so pretty typical for what has been built here over the last few years. My wife calls this home style a New Vancouver Special, and I suspect it will be as hated as the OG Vancouver Special are, in about 10-15 years.

Initially after construction was finished a For Sale sign went up, but came down shortly afterwards. The developer sign though has never come down. My suspicion is that the developer decided to live in it for a year to avoid capital gains taxes. A few weeks ago the For Sale sign went back up.

A block from this, the same developer has started demo on another property. However work appears to have stopped, and again a For Sale sign is up.

Judging by the last names and the company names, the realtor and developer are related. Neither of these properties appear to MLS listed, saving a listing fee, but all the properties on her site are listed between $1.8-$2.3M. (IMO, this is delusional for that neighbourhood, and they are both on a major thoroughfare.)

If the other ten or so properties (poorly shown on her site) are also personal sales, then this is a future bankruptcy anecdote if the market stalls or recedes (or even doesn't continue doing 20% a year.)

Second example

All of the following are on a single block.

Why yes. That is a brand new front-back duplex with lane house. I think this home is 2-3 years old being sold as a potential tear down.

Next door to this new construction, is another new side by side duplex.

I could be mistaken here, but I think he is selling half a duplex as a potential tear down. I would probably be annoyed if I was the idiot that bought the other side of the duplex. Particularly if I had bought it from this guy in the first place.

These five properties are two blocks from a rapid transit hub, so this area is very overdo for some higher density being built. However unless there are five separate people individually contacted that one realtor, it is pretty likely that it is one guy that is about $5-7M in just on that one block. He also probably should have hit upon the idea of redeveloping the block prior to building a couple of new duplexes.

Again, this is a major thoroughfare and none of these properties are listed on MLS. They also do not appear to be listed on his site.

~~~

Maybe both these speculators decided now was the time to strike it rich, or now was the time to get out while they still can.

When this city finally unwinds, these are the people that are going to be hurling themselves from their office building. :gizz:

e: V :hfive:

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 27, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:gizz:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah put me down as "kill self" if I ever had to move to the burbs to commute longer than 15-30 min. My poor wife has an hour+ commute though. I always joke we should just buy a house in Langford so she's closer to work and she doesn't drive. I could enjoy a 60 min 10km commute every day!

I'm having trouble imagining taking 60 minutes to travel only 10km, and I live right in the middle of the city. That's exactly the distance my commute is, and it takes 15-20 minutes tops to drive during rush hour, and maybe 45 minutes if there's a car accident or a train or something. During cycling season, I average about 30 minutes, plus or minus 10 minutes depending on conditions and health.

Winnipeg gets a lot of poo poo here, but it seems pretty livable compared to a lot of the conditions I read about in this thread. Still not buying a house here, though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
That 2-3 year old teardown. Jesus christ, what the gently caress. :psyboom:

This city needs a ten year moratorium on demolition permits. Just ice the whole loving department.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

That 2-3 year old teardown. Jesus christ, what the gently caress. :psyboom:

This city needs a ten year moratorium on demolition permits. Just ice the whole loving department.

Does anyone care to explain the economics behind such a young house being slated for destruction? WTF is going on here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm having trouble imagining taking 60 minutes to travel only 10km, and I live right in the middle of the city. That's exactly the distance my commute is, and it takes 15-20 minutes tops to drive during rush hour, and maybe 45 minutes if there's a car accident or a train or something. During cycling season, I average about 30 minutes, plus or minus 10 minutes depending on conditions and health.

Winnipeg gets a lot of poo poo here, but it seems pretty livable compared to a lot of the conditions I read about in this thread. Still not buying a house here, though.

Greater-Victoria actually has some pretty bad traffic issues in certain places. There's a huge suburb that has a single bottlenecked highway leading to it. Since its a separate city there was absolutely no planning or coordination between the city and this suburb, and the suburb was ruled over by a king-like developer-mayor who's only agenda was to sprawl sprawl sprawl as fast as possible. It's created an awful traffic situation as a highway that was built to service an area that has about 5x as many people as it did. The best part is that the worst part of the highway is not in either Victoria or this booming suburb, but a cash strapped city in between plus along the edge of another city that doesn't really care about the traffic problem (a city in greater-victoria is what most sane people would call a neighbourhood, but here they are fully independent cities).

An hour to do 10km is about the upper limit, but the average times get up there more and more often. Hooray for a total lack of regional planning and a commute that goes through 4 absolutely separate cities with their own mayors and councils all in the span of 10km. It's about a 25min drive normally, but easily goes to 40-60 at rush hour (which seems to span from like 3pm to 6pm now???).

Local single family house developers are some of the biggest and loudest voices demanding "the government" do something about the problem. They will of course just jam what ever highway upgrades are built with more suburban commuters. They try to sell it as "addressing affordability".

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone care to explain the economics behind such a young house being slated for destruction? WTF is going on here.

Honestly I doubt that it actually has a demo permit on it. If I were to guess, he is putting them all up in one lot hoping that BOSA or some other tower developer will decide that is the place that they can build a couple of condo buildings.

However the new builds mean that wasn't his initial plan, and is probably a desperate Plan B.

e: Also that rapid transit hub has been there for 30 years so if someone was going to build higher density in the area they already would have. (Or at least purchased the land before it quadrupled in value.)

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 27, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg has a few bad traffic problems but its pretty much confined to people driving to the new suburbs in the south end because they're all new developments with retarded twisty for no reason roads where its impossible to avoid bottlenecks or take public transit.

I don't understand why people want to live in those poo poo neighborhoods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

Winnipeg has a few bad traffic problems but its pretty much confined to people driving to the new suburbs in the south end because they're all new developments with retarded twisty for no reason roads where its impossible to avoid bottlenecks or take public transit.

I don't understand why people want to live in those poo poo neighborhoods.

Often it's the only areas where people can afford a house, or it's where they can afford the biggest house. For the same money you can buy a tiny condo downtown, a lovely condo at the edge of town, a run-down house in a nice neighbourhood, or a huge recently built McMansion in a sparkling new up-and-coming new community!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 27, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lexicon posted:

Honestly, most new houses will need to be demoed in about 15 years anyway to due to poo poo build quality.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

sbaldrick posted:

Honestly, most new houses will need to be demoed in about 15 years anyway to due to poo poo build quality.

I can't wait for condopocalypse in about twenty years, and that's being optimistic. Our construction quality is basically a cargo-cult across the board these days. :allears:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

Judging by the last names and the company names, the realtor and developer are related. Neither of these properties appear to MLS listed, saving a listing fee, but all the properties on her site are listed between $1.8-$2.3M. (IMO, this is delusional for that neighbourhood, and they are both on a major thoroughfare.)

Just a minor point, but Nguyen is such a common last name in Vietnam that there actually is a good chance they're not related.

I knew a Vietnamese dude at University with the last name Nguyen, and whenever he'd meet another girl with the last name Nguyen they would always spent the beginning of their date checking to make sure they weren't too closely related before getting close.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HookShot posted:

Just a minor point, but Nguyen is such a common last name in Vietnam that there actually is a good chance they're not related.

I knew a Vietnamese dude at University with the last name Nguyen, and whenever he'd meet another girl with the last name Nguyen they would always spent the beginning of their date checking to make sure they weren't too closely related before getting close.

Yeah, it is super common. However combined with the development company being called Pacific Gate Development and her Pacific Gate site I feel comfortable that it is a related business.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pure anecdote time, but almost every single REALTOR(r) I know or know of is either married to an amateur developer or house flipping or is one them self. They are true believers and they've put their money where their mouths are. It's always "Oh yeah this condo is great, if I could afford it I'd have bought it my self but I'm tied up with the 5 investment condos I already own". I've yet to talk to a realtor that doesn't own a few "investment condos" or "rental houses", or is married to/dating someone who does.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Pure anecdote time, but almost every single REALTOR(r) I know or know of is either married to an amateur developer or house flipping or is one them self. They are true believers and they've put their money where their mouths are. It's always "Oh yeah this condo is great, if I could afford it I'd have bought it my self but I'm tied up with the 5 investment condos I already own". I've yet to talk to a realtor that doesn't own a few "investment condos" or "rental houses", or is married to/dating someone who does.

The funny thing is - this betrays not knowledge or confidence in the market, but rather, an extreme lack of financial and risk-management sophistication. A similar phenomenon is observed in people who own vast amounts of equity shares of their own employer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

The funny thing is - this betrays not knowledge or confidence in the market, but rather, an extreme lack of financial and risk-management sophistication. A similar phenomenon is observed in people who own vast amounts of equity shares of their own employer.

Is that really bad? My wife's work has a program where you can get 50% off stock in the company or some poo poo each month like as part of their pension poo poo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Baronjutter posted:

Is that really bad? My wife's work has a program where you can get 50% off stock in the company or some poo poo each month like as part of their pension poo poo.

Well it's bad if that's your entire savings plan

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

It's good to get the free money as part of a purchase plan, but you're already exposed to enough risk with your employer by virture of the fact that they're the ones paying your salary. If things get bad enough that you're laid off or the company folds, not only are you no longer getting a paycheque, but those shares in the company are worthless. Once I learned how bad it was to have a huge chunk of my savings in there, it lit a fire under my rear end to learn how to invest on my own.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Stock purchase programs are awesome. Max out your allocation. On the other hand, if you don't sell some or all of your allocation every time a buy goes through, u r dumb.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Getting more into Canadian finance territory, but we'll have to figure out how to sell/move around those free stocks. It's like the biggest most profitable insurance company in the country so it's actually been doing pretty well.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
At the nadir of the GFC in 2010 my stock purchase plan was worth almost 6 figures. That was the dumbest loving thing I ever did because it proceeded to lose about 20k. My cost basis was only like 15k so I didn't feel bad but I learned a valuable lesson about diversification that year. Don't make the same mistake.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Getting more into Canadian finance territory, but we'll have to figure out how to sell/move around those free stocks. It's like the biggest most profitable insurance company in the country so it's actually been doing pretty well.

Always take the free money. Always diversify out of it (e.g. sell $X of the stock, buy $X of an index fund, or an index portfolio) at the earliest opportunity.

Doing pretty well => irrelevant. Lehman Brothers was doing pretty well until it wasn't. Canadian housing has been doing pretty well up until now. The point is to not have your savings at all correlated with your source of income.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Lexicon posted:

The point is to not have your savings at all correlated with your source of income.

Somehow I have a very hard time explaining this point, especially to my in-laws (my father and brother in law have pretty much bought as many of these options from the same company, which they both work at and not diversified from them that much afaik. This worries me.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, I have no idea how to sell a stock or buy another stock. I'm still struggling to set up my loving TD e-series funds. I think I need to head back to the finance thread and also set up a face to face with my "personal banker" or what ever she calls her self.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's so hard? Click portfolio. Click sell. Click number of shares to sell. Click limit order or market. Confirm. Make it rain.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Don't put money in lithium mining companies. :negative:

My e-series have been lovely, though, barely making anything off them. Lost on the Canadian and International ones, in fact.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

Yeah, it is super common. However combined with the development company being called Pacific Gate Development and her Pacific Gate site I feel comfortable that it is a related business.

Ah true, I didn't notice that link!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Tweet of the day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

Tweet of the day.

lol

a quick reference guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXQCABue8y8

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Man, I have no idea how to sell a stock or buy another stock. I'm still struggling to set up my loving TD e-series funds. I think I need to head back to the finance thread and also set up a face to face with my "personal banker" or what ever she calls her self.

Dude, you have a whole Internet of goons next door in Canadian Finance ready to dish out as much free advice as you could possibly need. Ask away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006