Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You poor, sad man who cannot find joy in life's simple pleasures. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

No trouble, it's just fun for about 1/4th of the games runtime

The fighting gameplay is shallow as gently caress, just mash A until it's time to press B for a finisher. Sometimes you dodge.

this could also be said of Batman, Dark Souls, DmC, etc.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
if you mash in batman you die

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ArfJason posted:

if you mash in batman you die

this is only true with bosses.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nasgate posted:

this could also be said of Batman, Dark Souls, DmC, etc.

Sure if you're retarded

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Don't forget that Mordor game, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gamer goons, you all eat disgusting poo poo, so this is right up your alley. Need a goon that lives in the Philippines (thats the only country with KFC that has it) to go buy this:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Well clearly, it's Pure Food. I'd feed it to my children. And my dog.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
nobody plays suda51 games for the gameplay

actually Lollipop chainsaw and Shadow of the Damned had solid gameplay though

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

I said come in! posted:

Gamer goons, you all eat disgusting poo poo, so this is right up your alley. Need a goon that lives in the Philippines (thats the only country with KFC that has it) to go buy this:

whoa is that CHEESE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

whoa is that CHEESE

I think it's mustard but I can't decide.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It's cheese.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I said come in! posted:

gently caress, I can feel my arteries hardening just looking at it! :stare:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Stiq a fork in them, they're dead...

http://www.joystiq.com/2015/01/27/joystiq-closing-shop/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wamdoodle posted:

gently caress, I can feel my arteries hardening just looking at it! :stare:

The hot dog seems entirely superfluous. I mean I doubt you would even be able to taste it.

Fill it with southern style pulled pork and dump a bucket of spicy BBQ sauce on it and I would be all about that though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the elder scrolls online had a patch and it is so big I am just wondering if them changing most of the game is a sign that they were never ready for launch

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Third World Reggin posted:

the elder scrolls online had a patch and it is so big I am just wondering if them changing most of the game is a sign that they were never ready for launch

These days an mmo hitting retail is basically a paid beta before it goes f2p. And somehow people keep falling for it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Third World Reggin posted:

Zenimax knew the game would be a flop before release, and were already way behind schedule making it (and way over budget) so they poo poo out TESO and locked a bunch of stuff behind a pre-order paywall, and release crazy expensive special editions to recoup some of their losses. They supported the game for about six months, in that time people found out how to mass dupe items by accident, the in-game economy was crushed, there were lots of mass bans, etc, apparently even streaming it on Twitch can get you in trouble for some reason

and on top of that the game itself screws up TES lore, graphical glitches are everywhere, you can walk through poo poo, it's really bad

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have no idea how you release a game for 60 bucks plus 15 per month right now next to Guild Wars 2 and not feel a deep sense of shame. Not that GW2 is totally incredible but it's a well made and well supported MMO with no monthly fee at all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Hopefully that remains a rumor

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have no idea how you release a game for 60 bucks plus 15 per month right now next to Guild Wars 2 and not feel a deep sense of shame. Not that GW2 is totally incredible but it's a well made and well supported MMO with no monthly fee at all.

the original FF14 was so bad that it was essentially F2P for the first six months, because square kept giving out "apology months" to players who were angry about how garbage it was. also they outsourced the translation to china, which led to some great fuckups:

rip, original ffxiv

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 27, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I really liked it when people in the thread kept saying that 15 bucks isn't going to be a deal breaker because 15 bucks is nothing.

They couldn't figure out that there were just other offers that were better games for the same price or cheaper and both of those were issues.

Now people are saying they may play again since the sub is dropped, like it was an issue all along.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excels posted:

the original FF14 was so bad that it was essentially F2P for the first six months, because square kept giving out "apology months" to players who were angry about how garbage it was. also they outsourced the translation to china, which led to some great fuckups:

rip, original ffxiv

New FF14 is pretty darned good, too bad about the fee.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

good article actually

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Because Guild Wars 2 is a hollow shell of the first game and the only poo poo they release nowadays is really boring "Living Story" crap or whatever they call it where your character acts second fiddle to the writer's Mary Sue characters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I played GW2 at release so maybe things have changed now, but at the time I thought it probably would have been better as a subscription game given they'd just replaced the monthly fee with extortionate in-game costs on everything from character progression to fast travel with the intention of making you buy gold, the only reason I could afford grandmaster talent training was because I lucked across one of the highest selling runes on the market at the time. At least games like WoW are somewhat upfront about how much they're gonna gently caress you

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?
Honestly i miss the times where you just spend your honest 10-15 bucks a month and did not have to deal with all the poo poo they want to sell you on the side.

The drugdealer tactix of fixing you onto something for free to then milk you pisses me off. It's not even that i fall for most of that poo poo (my sin is EA) but to deal with it and the often lovely gamedecisions coming from that really ruin a lot of otherwise good games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GW2's gold economy has kind of stabilized to an okay place for a non-subscription game. Unless you're after the rare skins, you can just trade like $10 for gold and outfit a character or two with what is basically maxed out armor, which would take much longer through frinding in game. Since you can convert funbux to gold and vice versa, the cash shop is basically their gold sink now rather than repair costs. There's still some inflation with that, and its effectiveness depends on them continuing to put things people would want in the cash shop. Getting gold in game is super tedious, though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Greece's new finance minister is the economist Valve hired for the Steam Market.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ArfJason posted:

Hopefully that remains a rumor

Pretty much confirmed at this point:

https://twitter.com/Sliwinski/status/560156310625587200

Anyone in the market for people with no marketable skills?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I played GW2 at release so maybe things have changed now, but at the time I thought it probably would have been better as a subscription game given they'd just replaced the monthly fee with extortionate in-game costs on everything from character progression to fast travel with the intention of making you buy gold, the only reason I could afford grandmaster talent training was because I lucked across one of the highest selling runes on the market at the time. At least games like WoW are somewhat upfront about how much they're gonna gently caress you

That's total bullshit. I spent a bit of money for gems to increase my bank size and buy character slots when the game came out, but just because I appreciated the lack of a subscription fee. Fast travel is cheap enough that after level 20 or so you can use it pretty much constantly, and I don't remember exactly how traits worked when the game came out but I had no problem affording mine without ever touching the marketplace.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Greece's new finance minister is the economist Valve hired for the Steam Market.

The first step to getting Valve its own country.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
All MMOs are poo poo. Just designed to suck as much cash as possible from the player base, as long as possible, with the least amount of developer resources.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MMOs can be good, actually

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Vindictus is a good Mini Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If Dragon's Dogma Online ever gets a western release I'm probably going to give that a spin even though it already sounds terrible

I wanna roleplay as a pawn in voicechat with pubbies

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Vindictus is a good Mini Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

No game that sells haircuts for 5bux is good. Unless it's some kind of barbershop simulator.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to trying out Black Desert when it's English

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
king's bounty is a lot better than i expected. the writing is atrocious garbage though

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Pews posted:

No game that sells haircuts for 5bux is good. Unless it's some kind of barbershop simulator.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to trying out Black Desert when it's English

haircuts and underwear are the only things you can buy, though, and you can't even convert real cash to fake cash like in lovely cash shop simulator Guild Wars 2 which heck, you still had to pay $50 for to even play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
thats right...u buy underwear... currently my karok has a thermal sweater and longjohns which is the default but i intend to give him a speedo.

• Locked thread