Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Waffleman_ posted:

Movie month last month did not really do that hot.

Considering that many of the movies aired the year before, is this really a surprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the problem right now is that 2014 was kinda frontloaded with a lot of acquisitions and they all kinda ended around the same time, leaving Toonami without enough money to replace it all, so they're in a lull while they get some new blood in the lineup. Hopefully, KLK will be a kick in the pants.

Edit: A third month of movies seems unlikely. No Battle of Gods...

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 25, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I hope KLK has the opposite effect, actually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I too hope the block dies because they're airing a show I don't like. Yeah, it's not great, but get over yourself.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Alternatively when your block is made up of mostly bad or mediocre shows already, with much of the actual quality being backloaded at the 4:30AM spot with stuff that's mostly been run a million times, maybe you're not really serving much of a purpose in having the block around if you're just picking more bad shows to throw in there when ratings are already kinda poo poo.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Waffleman_ posted:

Some info from the Q&A:

However, leading the block with AoT reruns seemed to hurt ratings more than it helped.

Toonami's not been doing hot in the ratings in general lately, just seems to be in a down cycle.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Argus Zant posted:

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #3
Seriously, what the gently caress is Crow's issue with titties.
He's an American TV censor: massive amounts of violence, blood, and death are just fine, but a pair of titties is completely inappropriate.:colbert:

I kinda like that the wall-to-wall insanity of Deadman Wonderland means that nobody else gives Shiro's (admittedly strange) outfit a second glance. Even Ganta didn't think twice about it, and so the sole freakout comes from the dude who can make giant blood blades appear out of his arms.:v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Deadman Wonderland's first few episodes are really weird. It seems like up until Scar Chain it has no idea what kind of plot it wants to have.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Crow thing is just a weird character trait, they eventually reveal his backstory in the manga and there's nothing about that.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

"We've requested help from the NSA" is weirdly more prescient now than it was in 2006. Even if they don't actually have insta-google-maps-satellites (yet :tinfoil: )

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Alternatively when your block is made up of mostly bad or mediocre shows already, with much of the actual quality being backloaded at the 4:30AM spot with stuff that's mostly been run a million times, maybe you're not really serving much of a purpose in having the block around if you're just picking more bad shows to throw in there when ratings are already kinda poo poo.

I love my dead gay anime block

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"We've requested help from the NSA" is weirdly more prescient now than it was in 2006. Even if they don't actually have insta-google-maps-satellites (yet :tinfoil: )

the amount of backstory fluff in that series is astounding in that it is both an essential element of the plot, and yet never explained or gone into any detail concerning

for example: did you know that the conflict that everybody in Section 9 served in, and which created the refugee problem so instrumental to 2nd Gig, was actually World War 4?

or how about the fact that the United States of America as we know it today doesn't exist in the same capacity? The "American Empire" they keep referring to is only one of three entities occupying US soil- the others being the Russo-American Alliance and the USA.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Argus Zant posted:

for example: did you know that the conflict that everybody in Section 9 served in, and which created the refugee problem so instrumental to 2nd Gig, was actually World War 4?

They do mention nuclear World War 3 and non-nuclear World War 4 a few times during the series, though details are sparing to say the least.

Argus Zant posted:

or how about the fact that the United States of America as we know it today doesn't exist in the same capacity? The "American Empire" they keep referring to is only one of three entities occupying US soil- the others being the Russo-American Alliance and the USA.

This I did not know, but I find it interesting.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I love my dead gay anime block

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

America has gotten absolutely shafted in the GitS universe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hi, I'm Waffleman.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hi, I'm CBJ.

HGTV parody. :allears:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Well that was loving dark.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Dangerous Person posted:

Well that was loving dark.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

However, leading the block with AoT reruns seemed to hurt ratings more than it helped.

Well I don't know why they're shocked since half the movies were repeats and the lead-in was reruns. They would have at least done better to lead-in with new-old DBZ than rerun AoT.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Well I don't know why they're shocked since half the movies were repeats and the lead-in was reruns. They would have at least done better to lead-in with new-old DBZ than rerun AoT.

Well the speculation is that they spent their movie budget getting those episodes of Hellsing, which they weren't going to be able to air otherwise.

Also, last night's Mike Tyson Mysteries was great. Especially because they don't actually solve anything, those people just died.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I know you all are crazy about KLK, so you should probably take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGxk2aUBFQ

Some folks make the sword from the show using a shitload of scissors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Welp. Toonami has been reduced to midnight-3:30. Here's your full schedule starting on the 7th.

12:00 - DBZ Kai
12:30 - Kill la Kill
01:00 - Naruto: Shippuden
01:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act
02:00 - Gurren Lagann
02:30 - One Piece
03:00 - Deadman Wonderland

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It was fun while it lasted.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait where did Cowboy Bebop Remastered go?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems like at least the premieres are getting good enough ratings to keep them around.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait where did Cowboy Bebop Remastered go?

Gone! The reruns weren't getting good ratings, so they're gonzo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Welp. Toonami has been reduced to midnight-3:30. Here's your full schedule starting on the 7th.

12:00 - DBZ Kai
12:30 - Kill la Kill
01:00 - Naruto: Shippuden
01:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act
02:00 - Gurren Lagann
02:30 - One Piece
03:00 - Deadman Wonderland

loving hell. This is depressing. I really, really hope it's not gonna go away entirely anytime soon. I'm okay with this by itself, at least.

I think Toonami's been around that size or shorter during it's original run, anyway.

....Still, not a good sign. :smith:

Mr. Fowl posted:

I know you all are crazy about KLK, so you should probably take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGxk2aUBFQ

Some folks make the sword from the show using a shitload of scissors.

This is badass.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Weren't they going do some sort a special "The Intruder 2" thing on the block?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Weren't they going do some sort a special "The Intruder 2" thing on the block?

Yeah, supposidly this year. I really hope it happens. The original arc had a huge impression on me as a little kid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They still fully intend on doing Intruder 2 this year.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I know people like DBZ, but what a lovely way to start the block off in 2015.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Sad that the overnight reruns got axed, but on the upside this means that Toonami can focus its budget on a tighter lineup.

I don't know if Toonami will ever fully go away; I assume it'll keep running on AS in some form as long as AS wants to keep running anime and Jason wants to keep making bumpers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HorseRenoir posted:

Sad that the overnight reruns got axed, but on the upside this means that Toonami can focus its budget on a tighter lineup.

I don't know if Toonami will ever fully go away; I assume it'll keep running on AS in some form as long as AS wants to keep running anime and Jason wants to keep making bumpers.
Its a good brand name and better than just going "Okay on Saturdays we just play anime okay"

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Like seriously, as much as I don't like KLK, it's at least it's something new. Why would they bother paying out the rear end for it's license if they can't start with it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

Like I said, I think the premieres are doing well enough, despite the current lull. Last I checked, the premieres had a high engagement on social media, with shows consistently trending on Twitter, which I think nowadays is seen as just as important as ratings in determining a show's popularity, especially a late night block like Toonami.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

They still fully intend on doing Intruder 2 this year.

Yesss. Awesome. This makes me pretty happy to know. Hopefully it's a hit and they end up doing more storylines.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get it was a reruns half-block but still that's about half of Toonami's runtime (and Bebop, the thing that was the DBZ of Adult Swim Action) gone for reruns of KoTH and such.

I want to be positive about this but it's very hard to be positive for something that was bisected by a company that has had history of acting up in this regard.

Oh well, at least Ben 10 and other such CN Detrius (Did we really need to reair Beware the Batman or IGPX?) won't stank the place up. With it's last means of any traction on CN, it's dead, forgotten and gone.

I only hope Toonami isn't following it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 28, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hahaha, right after the post about the schedule change, the Toonami Tumblr made a seemingly queued post with a gif of Franky with the text "Later." I and another guy remarked on Twitter that that wasn't the most reassuring thing in the world and they deleted it quickly/

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

good job killing the loving block jason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know this probably isn't the best news for the block but I find it hard to get worked up for over losing a bunch of repeats in the middle of the night. Not exactly a big surprise that they had poo poo ratings.

• Locked thread