Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

a cop posted:

What does this mean if you want to sell your shares :whitewater:

Had to look this up. Amazing what you can find online.

Go down to item 3.01 on page 4. There is more talk in item 1.01 but I only skimmed some. There is some information about their future there.
They are gone from the market but depending on what the owners want to do it might go to become a penny stock one day soon or it is another step in their bankruptcy fillings. If they become a penny stock then you still have a chance to sell it, if not then you lost that investment to $0.

Edit: If someone sees a mistake or has more info let me know. I did a quick bit of research with a few minutes of spare time and have to go.

BouncingBuckyBalls fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah generally something like this will go onto the pink sheets if there's enough volume to support it. If the company liquidates (I know nothing about the one you're talking about) the shares will be canceled and, hey, at least you get some capital losses to put on your taxes.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KernelSlanders posted:

Yahoo Plans To Spin Off Its Alibaba Stake, Tax Free, Into A New Company

How is YHOO up on the news that they're selling off the only profitable division?

Because taxes were/are the biggest weight on Yahoo shares: BABA taxes right now are a $16b liability on their balance sheet. The spinoff aims to reduce the taxes to 0. That's a lot of cost savings!

Also, Yahoo earned about $1 a share over the past year, ex-BABA. They're a profitable company.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

a cop posted:

I wonder where the ceiling on ZIOP is...

drat, 4x return in a few months...why can't I ever find these?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

But surely the entity Yahoo is spinning off as an Alibaba holding company won't be able to avoid taxes if it sells and/or repatriates the stake?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

But surely the entity Yahoo is spinning off as an Alibaba holding company won't be able to avoid taxes if it sells and/or repatriates the stake?

I don't know the specific tax laws and their chance of success, but avoiding all taxes is exactly what they're trying to do. It's not unprecedented. I think Liberty Media did it a couple of times, as an example. And apparently the Yahoo CFO knows what he is doing. We'll see I guess.

The BABA stake is owned by a Hong Kong subsidiary of Yahoo at the present time. And the shares are still in lock up until mid-September.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

DNova posted:

Sold a small amount of CSIQ Feb20 $21 puts. Wouldn't mind getting assigned, but don't think I will.
How do you sit down with such large balls?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Chinese government potentially cracking down on Alibaba: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-28/china-accuses-alibaba-of-lacking-proper-oversight-of-merchants

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

nebby posted:

How do you sit down with such large balls?

A prescription swivel chair.

But, why? I don't see this as being a ballsy position.

Or are you making fun of me :saddowns:

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 28, 2015

Apollo_Creed
Aug 4, 2002

I am the Master of Disaster.

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh but they can!

One of my favorite financial news writers (Matt Levine) has written about the Alibaba/Yahoo situation a few times, and as luck would have it, he's got a piece out today about it (with plenty of foot notes!):
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-01-28/yahoo-would-rather-not-pay-taxes-on-its-alibaba-shares

Apollo_Creed fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 28, 2015

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

DNova posted:

A prescription swivel chair.

But, why? I don't see this as being a ballsy position.

Or are you making fun of me :saddowns:
Selling naked puts on a volatile stock like CSIQ is risky business. Multiply # of contracts * 100 * strike price - premium to see your net loss if the company were to go belly up.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

nebby posted:

Selling naked puts on a volatile stock like CSIQ is risky business. Multiply # of contracts * 100 * strike price - premium to see your net loss if the company were to go belly up.

Thank you, I know how puts work. I'm exposed to roughly the same risk as if I had simply purchased the underlying if it comes to the company evaporating overnight.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 28, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone interested in the Shake Shack IPO? I don't think it will be as successful as Chipotle, but it might be a decent regional-to-national expansion play.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

nebby posted:

Hold on. Since when have been close to CSIQ going belly up? Market indicators and the discussion of the prospects are all pretty positive about solar energy futures.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
He seems to think selling puts is more risky than buying the stock outright. :shrug:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Selling puts is like buying the stock with no upside and high leverage. So yeah, not something I'd do for a stock that swings 3-4% daily.

I wasn't suggesting CSIQ was going to go belly up, I was just explaining maximum downside in case the OP didn't know (we've had posters who didn't.) if I am going to gently caress around with a stock like CSIQ I sure would want to be exposed to the upside, seems odd to be collecting put premiums on a stock like this. Just my 2c, good luck!

nebby fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 28, 2015

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
NBG is down to $1/share. The new Greek government doesn't seem to want to play ball with the European countries who've been bailing them out. How low will it go?

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

NBG is down to $1/share. The new Greek government doesn't seem to want to play ball with the European countries who've been bailing them out. How low will it go?

I actually bought NBG for $500 U.S like a year ago purely as a gamble with the expectation that I could lose it all. Went up like 30% in two weeks, then afterwards plummeted and now that money is essentially lost to me. I keep the stock in my portfolio as a lesson.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Had to look this up. Amazing what you can find online.

Go down to item 3.01 on page 4. There is more talk in item 1.01 but I only skimmed some. There is some information about their future there.
They are gone from the market but depending on what the owners want to do it might go to become a penny stock one day soon or it is another step in their bankruptcy fillings. If they become a penny stock then you still have a chance to sell it, if not then you lost that investment to $0.

Edit: If someone sees a mistake or has more info let me know. I did a quick bit of research with a few minutes of spare time and have to go.

All 4000+ of my remaining shares were converted to WTSLQ on the OTC exchange, so they are trade able now, and trading at around what they were before they were delisted.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Noah posted:

I piggy backed off your comments on EA, I hadn't even looked at them since last year. Thanks for the heads up, I grabbed some $45/jan/30 calls this morning at $4.30, which i was a little hasty on because I could have gotten them lower, but everything seemed to indicate that they were gonna do well on this earnings report. We will see how the next two days go, but it's looking real good.

drat nice gain. I didn't even end up trading on EAs earnings, I went with ILMN instead which beat the EPS forecast by a significant amount and saw a huge jump on the open but has since fallen right back to where I bought it at. Looks like you've got more than a double on that trade though!

e: Also (possibly against my better judgement) I decided to take a small long volatility position in FB. Bought one straddle at 76 for 5.28 yesterday. Here's hoping for an irrational market!

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Sokrateez posted:

drat nice gain. I didn't even end up trading on EAs earnings, I went with ILMN instead which beat the EPS forecast by a significant amount and saw a huge jump on the open but has since fallen right back to where I bought it at. Looks like you've got more than a double on that trade though!

e: Also (possibly against my better judgement) I decided to take a small long volatility position in FB. Bought one straddle at 76 for 5.28 yesterday. Here's hoping for an irrational market!

Still waiting on bids to normalize, no one has sold any contracts today, I guess I don't expect to see any real movement until tomorrow. Bid is only 8.00, but if EA maintains (as they have historically on these earnings jumps) for the next two days I hope to come away closer to 9.50 or 10.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

RaoulDuke12 posted:

All 4000+ of my remaining shares were converted to WTSLQ on the OTC exchange, so they are trade able now, and trading at around what they were before they were delisted.

I don't think it's possible to sell if you used Robinhood, lol. Just says WTSLQ with an equity value of 0 and no buy or sell option.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So you have to get your robinhood shares moved to a different broker? Can you file a complaint with the FTC?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

a cop posted:

I don't think it's possible to sell if you used Robinhood, lol. Just says WTSLQ with an equity value of 0 and no buy or sell option.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think the shares are even worth the commission on Etrade right now, haha.

edit: oh wait, never mind, I didn't carry a zero. Still though.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 28, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yahoo is nearing no-brainer territory again.

Bear in mind that you have to constantly adjust its value for BABA's value, since BABA now represents ~80% of Yahoo's current share price. Yahoo Japan represents another 10% even accounting for taxes. So day-to-day Yahoo is less than 10% of the value of the company, or less than $5 a share.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Hi i'm here because of robinhood and don't know what i'm doing. I'm trying to learn as much as i can before i make my first trade but can you not limit order or short sell with robinhood? is that going to totally gimp my ability to be successful?

e: guess you can limit order with robinhood. i seriously don't know what i am doing. i put ten dollars in this thing and expect never to see it again. I am having fun

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 29, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

good lord.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
I just want to get rich quick

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
How do you folks feel about china? My understanding is that its pretty much like the us stock market prior to black friday, everyone and their mom trading?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Oovee posted:

How do you folks feel about china? My understanding is that its pretty much like the us stock market prior to black friday, everyone and their mom trading?

From a guy who bought a lot of chinese stocks at one point, stay away from them until somewhat less than 95% of them stop being massive scams.

I wouldn't even mess with the big ones, since the accounting is all shady even there.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stoic Commie posted:

Hi i'm here because of robinhood and don't know what i'm doing. I'm trying to learn as much as i can before i make my first trade but can you not limit order or short sell with robinhood? is that going to totally gimp my ability to be successful?

e: guess you can limit order with robinhood. i seriously don't know what i am doing. i put ten dollars in this thing and expect never to see it again. I am having fun

This is like this threads worst fears realized btw

Stay in the gbs thread for now, we'll sort you out

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
How bizarre that Yahoo tanked today...this is basically the best case scenario, so I don't get it. I would have expected a ~$10 per share rise on this news. Previously the only question was how much the tax hit would be. $40 for BABA can be fully counted now. Yahoo Japan still something like $7. Cash still something like $10. That right there gets you to $57. Yahoo core valued negative again? Really? What am I missing?

I guess I'm about to get back into Yahoo?

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
Maybe fears over BABA earnings tomorrow?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
But even BABA tanking and dropping like 10%, the tax savings alone on this more than make up for it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

District Selectman posted:

How bizarre that Yahoo tanked today...this is basically the best case scenario, so I don't get it. I would have expected a ~$10 per share rise on this news. Previously the only question was how much the tax hit would be. $40 for BABA can be fully counted now. Yahoo Japan still something like $7. Cash still something like $10. That right there gets you to $57. Yahoo core valued negative again? Really? What am I missing?

I guess I'm about to get back into Yahoo?

Not quite as easy as that, but the complicated math gets me to about $55 a share in a bad-case, no growth core businesss, compared to the $46.5 it's at right now.

The thing is...at 46.5, over 80% of the value of the stock is BABA. So probably best to wait until after BABA earnings to reduce the BABA risk if you're trading just for the undervaluation.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Someone posted an article here awhile back that was basically "let's look at someone who made some of the worst possible stock picks but stayed in the market long term", if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can fish the article from google using some key words it would be highly appreciated.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

a cop posted:

Someone posted an article here awhile back that was basically "let's look at someone who made some of the worst possible stock picks but stayed in the market long term", if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can fish the article from google using some key words it would be highly appreciated.

That was me, here is the post in question:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Thanks so much! Really liked that one.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Arkane posted:

Not quite as easy as that, but the complicated math gets me to about $55 a share in a bad-case, no growth core businesss, compared to the $46.5 it's at right now.

The thing is...at 46.5, over 80% of the value of the stock is BABA. So probably best to wait until after BABA earnings to reduce the BABA risk if you're trading just for the undervaluation.

Assume BABA tanks, loses 10% on earnings. You're down to $36. You can even assume Yahoo Japan is sold in a tax inefficient manner, so it's something like $4 instead of $7. Now you've got $40 worth of non core assets. They have, I believe, $10B still left from their initial sale of BABA. Let's assume they light that on fire. You're still looking at paying $6 for a business that earns $1 per share.

There's plenty of speculative reasons to think YHOO can improve too. Firefox has already moved to Yahoo for search. It wouldn't be a surprise if Apple moved to them for Safari. Google has become expensive in the adword realm, and Yahoo/Bing has an opportunity there I think. All useless speculation, but also just icing on the cake it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There's ~384 million shares, so if BABA hit 90 (-10%), you're looking at 34.6b. Then you have to discount that amount, because SpinCo would trade at a discount to BABA. So let's assume a 2.5% discount, which knocks you down to $33.7b.

Anyway, here is the current math as I see it. With BABA at 98.5 a share, you have a $36.9b valuation on their shares after the discount.

On a diluted basis, they have almost exactly a billion shares outstanding. So that gets you to $36.90 per share for BABA at 98.5, then I put Yahoo ex-BABA at $18 a share in a "bad case" scenario -- $10b in cash minus $7b in liabilities is $3b + $7b for Yahoo Japan + 8x P/E for $1 EPS or $8b for core = $18b. $18b + $36.9b = $54.90 per share. And that's really a terrible scenario where YHOO is just straight up liquidated.

So Yahoo at 46.5 is trading at 84.7% of its terrible scenario breakup value. 18% upside.

Bit of a no brainer....but what I learned last time, and history may not repeat itself, is that the price of Yahoo can remain disconnected from reality for an extended period of time, and the price movements of Yahoo with respect to BABA sometimes make 0 sense. So I'd be looking for any notable BABA/YHOO divergences for an entry point. Q4 of 2015 is the spin-off, so there's not much opportunity for a short-term catalyst. And also any investment in YHOO is exposed to BABA's volatility.