Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The way a coil is made (number of turns and gauge of wire) will affect how long it takes for a magnetic field induced in the coil to collapse and turn back into electrical power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Being for engines of drastically different character and era and emissions targets, the Pani coils might have different dwell to the factory ones and this might be worse or better.
The 1198 is before the Pani; the Panigale is the 1199. I have no idea if the dwell is the same but the bike runs better than it did with a bad coil. ;)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You're talking about how much time the computer gives the coil before collapsing the field, right? How would that be influenced by the coil, though? That's the computer and the rpm and etc. The coil just steps up voltage. They make coils with different windings for different voltage output maybe?

Sagebrush posted:

The way a coil is made (number of turns and gauge of wire) will affect how long it takes for a magnetic field induced in the coil to collapse and turn back into electrical power.

What he said.

BlackMK4 posted:

The 1198 is before the Pani; the Panigale is the 1199. I have no idea if the dwell is the same but the bike runs better than it did with a bad coil. ;)

I keep forgetting there was a bike between the panigale and 1098 that nobody ever remembers.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Started the 40k km valve check on the FZ6. Not a very roomy space, I'm standing with my back against some shelves to take the picture.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
So maybe one of the no.1 cylinder exhaust valves is on the tight side. Spec says 0.13-0.20 mm but the 0.15 gauge won't go in. 0.10 fits with room to spare though. The rest looks fine so I won't change any shims.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My first 30k :woop:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I added some holes and a prefilter to my xr100 air box cover.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nice speed holes bro

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
air box mods are a thing okay?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Got some extra scratches this morning, loving road ice...

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Super Slash posted:

Got some extra scratches this morning, loving road ice...

Did the same thing yesterday in the parking lot at work. Dropped it twice more trying to pick the goddamn thing up which is difficult when you are standing on ice.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Stripped the threads out of two side cover holes and broke an EZ out off in a stuck stud of my project bike. Rounded out two screws on the carbs of a different bike. Removed the blinkers from my 530 EXC so now it's just a dirtbike with a large battery. Tried some electrical troubleshooting on my other dirtbike. Took the play out of the throttle on my street triple.

I worked on all 5 of my bikes today :D

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ChewedFood posted:

Stripped the threads out of two side cover holes and broke an EZ out off in a stuck stud of my project bike. Rounded out two screws on the carbs of a different bike. Removed the blinkers from my 530 EXC so now it's just a dirtbike with a large battery. Tried some electrical troubleshooting on my other dirtbike. Took the play out of the throttle on my street triple.

I worked on all 5 of my bikes today :D

EZ out, carburetor, working as intended.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dynoed a 50cc scooter today. Took some time to figure out how to lock the CVT in high gear. Pain in the rear end. Saw 35% hp increase with just a pipe though, not even a carb tune.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How much absolute power? Cause a 35% increase in absolute terms for a 50cc might well be ambient temperature change :v:

Roguestick
Aug 18, 2013
Installed a P1X Powertip on my exhaust today. Previous owner had installed a Two Brother's can on my zx6r, and it was too loud for my liking. Seems to have quieted the bike down a lot when I took it for a short ride around town, only hit about 45 MPH though. At least I can finally hear the wind when I ride around town instead of just my exhaust. :unsmith:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
So when I had the radiator off for the valve check I decided to clean it up a bit. And remove mud from between the fins. And then fix bent fins. And give it a coat of paint. And then I started to scrape off burnt on mud and crud from the headers. Then I removed them to get to the caked on dirt behind the headers. And then I removed the coolant overflow reservoir to get to even more crud. I just keep removing parts and finding more filth.

I need help.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

How much absolute power? Cause a 35% increase in absolute terms for a 50cc might well be ambient temperature change :v:
I think it was 2.6whp up to 3.5whp. That's hella temp change bro.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Did someone sneeze near the dyno during the measurement?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Less sneeze more fart, I think.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'll get a chart of the RPM/time graph to show how long it took to get to the powerband in high gear. You'll enjoy that.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'll get a chart of the RPM/time graph to show how long it took to get to the powerband in high gear. You'll enjoy that.

Did you have to convert it to a logarithm scale because of how long it took? :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:neckbeard:

I'm assuming you locked the throttle and went to the pub for a while.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Began fixing some questionable choices PO made

before

after

(the plate mount has a hinge I haven't set yet, I know it's too close to the wheel)

What is it with POs and horrible wiring?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wiring is hard, ok

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
drat, girl, I love that blue!

I am really careful/OCD about wiring. I have a giant roll of velcro zipties that I use, and electrical tape and that silicone pressure tape as well. I want my wiring to be as water/sun/bulletproof as possible. The PO's wiring makes me sad.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Began fixing some questionable choices PO made

before

How was the plate mounted by the PO? If it's a universal mount, do you think I could get that off of you? I realize it's a cop magnet, but a few 'improper tag display' tickets beats even one ticket from a DC speed camera.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

Wiring is hard, ok
Not to excuse the PO, but this is really true. To do it really properly you need some knowledge and skills and supplies that are actually kinda hard to get. Or at least not obvious where to get.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Not to excuse the PO, but this is really true. To do it really properly you need some knowledge and skills and supplies that are actually kinda hard to get. Or at least not obvious where to get.

I would say "RadioShack" but they stopped selling actual wiring poo poo years ago and are now just a lovely cellphone retailer. For me, it's soldering iron, solder, flux (if necessary) and heat-shrink tubing, unless you intend to crimp poo poo in which case those electrical pliers are needed as well. Does this make me "the PO"? :confused:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're gonna open a can of worms about crimping vs soldering in high vibration environments, solder lead content, and stress relief. :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

How was the plate mounted by the PO? If it's a universal mount, do you think I could get that off of you? I realize it's a cop magnet, but a few 'improper tag display' tickets beats even one ticket from a DC speed camera.

Sure, it's all yours. Do you need it soon?

It's the one that came with my undertail, but it's bendable. It was just drilled in.

(huge)

Crimpin ain't easy :(

Lynza posted:

drat, girl, I love that blue!

I am really careful/OCD about wiring. I have a giant roll of velcro zipties that I use, and electrical tape and that silicone pressure tape as well. I want my wiring to be as water/sun/bulletproof as possible. The PO's wiring makes me sad.

Same here. Had a heart attack when I saw the PO had lengthened the undertail wires by attaching extra lengths with 3 entire rolls of electrical tape.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Sure, it's all yours. Do you need it soon?

Awesome, thanks! I don't need it soon - I don't think there are going to be many opportunities to ride in the coming month or so. If there is a meet up around here soon, I'll grab it from you then.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

:neckbeard:

I'm assuming you locked the throttle and went to the pub for a while.

This is in seconds, not minutes, you pessimists. I would only have had time to take a few sips. I think this was after I swapped in the tuned pipe, so this is actually the faster run.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGAGAGAGGAGAGGAGAGA over the better part of a minute. Fantastic.

I'm surprised a 50cc only spins to 10k.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

41 thousand seconds, not too bad for a scooter.

Oh, I see there's a dot. drat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I actually don't know what it revs to, but the torque peaked at like 8500 so I stopped around there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The enfield stands again! And for some reason it's all twisted around and doesn't track straight. I vaguely remember thinking it was possibly backed into by a car before I put it away six/eight months ago, and now with a new tire I have proof.

Time to see how much adjustment I can get out of loosening the triple tree.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Video of first startup and idling. Really a paint-shaker with wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X4QL2Pl6Bk

(may still be processing)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saw someone riding one of those the other day with a café seat/bars and ohlins shocks. I had to laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got my fork tubes and swapped out the bent ones. Finally! Installed a not-broken harness, so now my cluster remembers what time it is. Next step is to install my "new" rear shock and I will be set.