Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

At&t is the carrier for my personal cell phone. - I can sit at my desk and have coverage
Verizon is the carrier for my work cell phone. - I do not get connection at my desk.
Somehow this building is a blockage for Verizon. Others with this service have the same experience.
Is there a setting in the phone that can make it receive signals inside this building. If not, having the work cell through Verizon kind of defeats it purpose.
Can this be looked into please

Eyebrows up.

You guys left Verizon set at 0 in the building config, it's a common mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Verizon sells a signal booster device that actually works pretty well. We've put a few of them here, but all our corporate cell phones are Verizon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

Verizon sells a signal booster device that actually works pretty well. We've put a few of them here, but all our corporate cell phones are Verizon.

We can't do that for some reason (I forget why), but we just had this discussion with another guy in a different part of the building, and ended up installing a Wilson AG Pro 70 db Dual Band Cellular Signal Booster from Amazon for $675 and it works pretty well.

I gave that to him as on option, last time it was such a huge issue to spend the money to get one. It also isn't going to cover the whole warehouse and shop floor like he wants, just their little office. Which is fine but the first time he's in the warehouse and misses a cell call...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when you tell him that you'd love to get him one but management denied the request due to cost. Then you tell him to get his boss to talk to management if he needs it to do his job.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Couldn't people VOIP via google voice (hangouts) to receive calls for $0 + cost of a WAP? If US based.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I said to check with the person who gave you the phone about AT&T vs Verizon - the IS Department does not handle cell phones. We can install an extender like we did in Plant 2 Mezzanine however it will only cover the office and not the entire warehouse, and it is expensive.

That answer made him go crying to someone else. He always cries to people about stuff.

He's the same guy who asked why I had to buy him a $1150 laptop from Lenovo (X1 for travel) instead of the $449 ones they have at Sam's Club.

Sam's Club. Your company's official IT Partner.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Usually it's the other way around "I want the more expensive one because more money = more better".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Usually it's the other way around "I want the more expensive one because more money = more better".

He runs this refurbishing division and they are cheap as poo poo and try to get free labor from Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and those organizations that use handicapped people to do work. He uses the word free 5 times in each sentence.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I bet he has a load of money because of how much a cheap rear end in a top hat he is. Does he also scam benefits for low income people?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
"We're moving offices so we can be right next to the soup kitchen. I'm tired of paying for lunch!"

How is it that people grow up and don't understand that just because something costs fewer dollars for you personally doesn't mean it isn't more expensive for someone else/temporally/ethically.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Stupid question time.

We have a Netbotz 320 at a remote location and we haven't received alerts from it in a while. It was pointing at Gmail's SMTP server, so I changed it to our IIS SMTP server, 172.16.111.61. I added the Netbotz appliance's IP to the connection and relay permissions. For good measure, I stopped and restarted the SMTP server within IIS.

The Netbotz log only shows this:

code:
Jan 27 12:47:30 netbotz0369B2 kern.info nbTestEmailCGI: READ :220 hostname.genpro.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.4675 ready at  Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:07:27 -0500 
Jan 27 12:47:30 netbotz0369B2 kern.info nbTestEmailCGI: WRITE:EHLO netbotz0369B2
It then fails the connection test in the Netbotz Advanced View application. I don't get the test email it's supposed to send to the address I specified, my personal one.

If I telnet to the server on 25, I a similar thing. It gives that first line then nearly instantly closes the connection.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 27, 2015

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Stupid question time.

We have a Netbotz 320 at a remote location and we haven't received alerts from it in a while. It was pointing at Gmail's SMTP server, so I changed it to our IIS SMTP server, 172.16.111.61. I added the Netbotz appliance's IP to the connection and relay permissions. For good measure, I stopped and restarted the SMTP server within IIS.

The Netbotz log only shows this:

code:
Jan 27 12:47:30 netbotz0369B2 kern.info nbTestEmailCGI: READ :220 hostname.genpro.local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.4675 ready at  Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:07:27 -0500 
Jan 27 12:47:30 netbotz0369B2 kern.info nbTestEmailCGI: WRITE:EHLO netbotz0369B2
It then fails the connection test in the Netbotz Advanced View application. I don't get the test email it's supposed to send to the address I specified, my personal one.

If I telnet to the server on 25, I a similar thing. It gives that first line then nearly instantly closes the connection.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Do you have tarpitting enabled? Or forced authentication on that Exchange receive connector? Also check the list of allowed IPs to use that receive connector.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Migishu posted:

Lync 2013 Status: Crashed twice yesterday, once so far today, and my day only started 3 hours ago.

Don't use Lync.

Skype for Business is actually really good. Like, OCS levels of good.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

nexxai posted:

Do you have tarpitting enabled? Or forced authentication on that Exchange receive connector? Also check the list of allowed IPs to use that receive connector.

We don't use Exchange - this is just an IIS SMTP server used for applications, devices, appliances, etc. to relay. Our email is pure Google Apps. I've had similar weird issues trying to use Google's SMTP guide for Gmail/Gapps and have a ticket in with our Google Apps reseller to chime in and ascertain the magic combo, given that it takes around 3 minutes for a test to time out and report failure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Eldercain posted:

"We're moving offices so we can be right next to the soup kitchen. I'm tired of paying for lunch!"
Actually, he got a hotel instead of staying at the homeless shelter one time. They actually asked him to stay there when he went to visit a site.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Actually, he got a hotel instead of staying at the homeless shelter one time. They actually asked him to stay there when he went to visit a site.

Wait wait wait wait wait. This employer of yours literally tried to send someone onsite and asked them to stay at a HOMELESS SHELTER? This is a new level of crazy I've never even thought possible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait. This employer of yours literally tried to send someone onsite and asked them to stay at a HOMELESS SHELTER? This is a new level of crazy I've never even thought possible.

There has to be a law against that kind of thing, gently caress.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Bob Morales posted:

I bet this would win that windows tech stories contest.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

No, the client or whatever you want to call them asked him. They also said he didn't need to rent a car and they could just take him around in their church van or whatever.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

No, the client or whatever you want to call them asked him. They also said he didn't need to rent a car and they could just take him around in their church van or whatever.

Ahh. That makes the comedy a slightly different flavor. Still amazing though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had clients before who would rather down an office of 30 people for a couple of hours to swap various bits of hardware out than pay for the work to be done out of hours. It's like time is only a cost to them if they get an invoice for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

It's like time is only a cost to them if they get an invoice for it.

This is 100% it. Unless there's a line item, it's free.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Yeah good luck me convincing a company of over 40,000 computers to move to Skype for Business.

They paid for this hell hole, we just get to live in it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a different Skype for Business than the one you get when you Google "Skype for Business" I take it?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a different Skype for Business than the one you get when you Google "Skype for Business" I take it?

E: Oops I can't talk about this

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are the clients available yet or are you on a pre-release?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's a pre-release and I can't actually talk any more about this (and apparently I have colleagues on this forum)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jeoh posted:

E: Oops I can't talk about this
You can still say it's what they've rebranded Lync to, that's public information. Skype had an old "Skype for business" thing which is unrelated to the new Microsoft thing.

Guess which one is the first hit on Google!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the Mac client doesn't look and function like it still uses the MSN Messenger codebase from the days before NAT traversal for file transfer was a thing, then don't acknowledge this post.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
If the Windows client is actually rebased on top of the EVE Online voice chat system, then don't acknowledge the post above this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well there goes that plan

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jeoh posted:

We use it currently. It's not bad. I'm pretty sure when you delete users, it doesn't actually delete them, it just removes them from your managerial control. The accounts are still there, but you no longer have access to them.

We've also been using Slack for a while now and I absolutely love it.
https://slack.com/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just received the following defect report (from our own testers):

"Change the tect (colors/font) so that they look more non identical"

The defect title?

"Information is bit unclear"

Well you got that right.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Fun request came through to my personal email from a friend at my previous small MSP. He gave me a list of their core servers and asked to check if I could get into them.
My reply was

quote:

Its all still broken. I guess you all reenabled SSL2 and started a service that enabled the old self DDOS scripts. Have fun finding it since it'll loop until you find the account!

Ah, I love having old bosses that don't pay attention. Not my problem anymore

Before anyone says "thats malicious activity", they were told that this stuff existed when I was on my way out and I disabled it since I was asked to leave it there.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AAB posted:

Fun request came through to my personal email from a friend at my previous small MSP. He gave me a list of their core servers and asked to check if I could get into them.
My reply was

Before anyone says "thats malicious activity", they were told that this stuff existed when I was on my way out and I disabled it since I was asked to leave it there.

Contract your services back to them at $200 an hour if they can't figure it out.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

m.hache posted:

Contract your services back to them at $200 an hour if they can't figure it out.

I fully expect to do this in a couple of days once it eventually overloads their firewall and then their ISP blocks them

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

We don't use Exchange - this is just an IIS SMTP server used for applications, devices, appliances, etc. to relay. Our email is pure Google Apps. I've had similar weird issues trying to use Google's SMTP guide for Gmail/Gapps and have a ticket in with our Google Apps reseller to chime in and ascertain the magic combo, given that it takes around 3 minutes for a test to time out and report failure.

Next things I'd check are:

- Is outbound SMTP from that relay host permitted in the firewall? Lots of companies drop port 25 traffic from any non-designated email host to prevent infected computers from becoming spam bots
- Do you have an SPF record setup for the domain that you're using in the "From: " address, and if so, has the public IP address that your relay is sending from listed in the SPF record? If not, Gmail will likely consider it spam and possibly drop it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AAB posted:

My reply was

It's honestly just common courtesy to tell them what service account you left a script that's shutting them down is running under. Even if they " knew it existed". Don't be a dick

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

re: skype and lync chat

No wonder skype magically knew my lync contacts.

evol262 posted:

It's honestly just common courtesy to tell them what service account you left a script that's shutting them down is running under. Even if they " knew it existed". Don't be a dick
hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

evol262 posted:

I think you missed the "I already told them where it existed and they asked me to leave it there" part.

• Locked thread