Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Not really, but there's a movie coming out next year that deals with post-DM Yugi and Kaiba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Not really, but there's a movie coming out next year that deals with post-DM Yugi and Kaiba.

You have no clue how excited I am about that. I've been wanting that movie to happen for years.

I just hope Yugi gets to keep using his awesome deck he fought the Pharaoh with at the end of the series.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap, there's a guy on Arc V that uses a Prophecy Deck. Wonder if we will see him duel though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh snap that actually sounds cool.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

this loving episode of GX with the ~*90s rapper gangsta*~ dub voice is painful to finish

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The third season of yugioh is not on netflix and that makes me angry.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

The third season of yugioh is not on netflix and that makes me angry.

All of it's been on Hulu since forever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

All of it's been on Hulu since forever.

i don't like hulu, but thank you, i will watch it

edit: is this noah jerk really going to deny me the pleasure of seeing the battle city finals???

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mabels big day posted:

i don't like hulu, but thank you, i will watch it

edit: is this noah jerk really going to deny me the pleasure of seeing the battle city finals???

Yes.
Yes he will.
And you will be bored every minute of it.

You want more crazy Marik face.
You always want more crazy Marik face.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This series is weird. I bet after the poo poo with the pharoh, Yugi wound up getting shanked in an alley trying to befriend a hobo or something because clearly, if someone tries to murder you and everyone you know, they are your best friend and the more often they try to kill you, the better friends you are.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nuebot posted:

This series is weird. I bet after the poo poo with the pharoh, Yugi wound up getting shanked in an alley trying to befriend a hobo or something because clearly, if someone tries to murder you and everyone you know, they are your best friend and the more often they try to kill you, the better friends you are.

Look, as far as I recall Yugi only becomes friends with people who tried to kill him after their evil half has been banished from their minds.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yes.
Yes he will.

if they make tristian duel it will be worth it

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mabels big day posted:

if they make tristian duel it will be worth it

Oh you are in for a treat. :unsmigghh:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yes.
Yes he will.

Please, I'm sure it will be both memorable and hilarious.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Season 2 of GX down, main thought: as a card game player who has little idea how Yu-Gi-Oh actually works, I got sick of watching nearly every episode get decided by "Did I draw Pot of Greed/Graceful Charity and you didn't? Guess I win!" that I had to look up the rules to see if the cards were banned from the tournament play and it looks like they are.

Anyways, the wikia also spoiled that the cards are rarely featured in the remaining seasons and series of the anime and I'm not really sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
What, you weren't bugged by how Jaden always wins A Hero Emerges?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

What, you weren't bugged by how Jaden always wins A Hero Emerges?

Busted cards and combos are whatever, but you can win with anything if you have completely busted card advantage/card draw.

edit: Oh, that card. That's not even that busted, it's just the "random" that always works out in Jaden's favor even though I'm sure it's easy to play the card in a way to make the percentages really favorable. Also that card only showed up 10 times in seasons 1 and 2. Pot of Greed is in 59 episodes.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 28, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

edit: Oh, that card. That's not even that busted, it's just the "random" that always works out in Jaden's favor even though I'm sure it's easy to play the card in a way to make the percentages really favorable. Also that card only showed up 10 times in seasons 1 and 2. Pot of Greed is in 59 episodes.

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity are the dominant writing crutch for most of the original and GX. They're gone by the time of 5Ds though and never return as far as I can remember.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think I finally understand. This series isn't about friendship, or even card games really. It's just about cheating and how no one cheats better than a literal magic egyptian pharoh.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By Zexal the superpower of the day is literally just cheating.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

By Zexal the superpower of the day is literally just cheating.

Wasn't Yami Yugi's special power in DM also the power to draw whatever he needs to win? I swear it was mentioned he could manipulate destiny or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wasn't Yami Yugi's special power in DM also the power to draw whatever he needs to win? I swear it was mentioned he could manipulate destiny or something.

In one chapter he does some glowy stuff with the pendant and his friend draws the card he needs, too. So he not only can manipulate his own card, but others as well. He basically has a gameshark around his neck.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah but he didn't outright change the card.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Wish I had bought the Yugi and Kaiba Reloaded decks when they were new so I didn't have to pay a bit more. But I will get them both for nostalgia.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Every main character cheats, it's just how Yu-Gi-Oh! works. Yugi can use the Millennium Puzzle to draw any card he wants at any given moment, Yusei creates the Saviour Dragon and Saviour Star Dragon cards out of nowhere every time he uses them (as they're not part of his deck, but summoned with the Crimson Dragon plot device) and his Shooting Star and Quasar Dragons are blank cards he gives shape when needed, Yuma flat out creates cards with the exact effects he needs with Shining Draw and can modify the cards he does have with Re-Contract Universe (which is only used once and might be far more limited than that considering how Yuma describes the ability), Yuya outright changes his cards to a new type of card never seen before and creates Fusion Monsters to help his main card.

Judai is an odd case in that he isn't directly cheating, the manga describes him as having extremely high draw luck, which is a bullshit talent but not technically unfair. Even when he does get supernatural powers they're used mostly out of battle, I can't think of any moment Judai uses his Supreme King powers or Jubel to cheat. On the other hand, there is no way in hell he's actually carrying all the Fusion Monsters he uses.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Every main character cheats, it's just how Yu-Gi-Oh! works. Yugi can use the Millennium Puzzle to draw any card he wants at any given moment, Yusei creates the Saviour Dragon and Saviour Star Dragon cards out of nowhere every time he uses them (as they're not part of his deck, but summoned with the Crimson Dragon plot device) and his Shooting Star and Quasar Dragons are blank cards he gives shape when needed, Yuma flat out creates cards with the exact effects he needs with Shining Draw and can modify the cards he does have with Re-Contract Universe (which is only used once and might be far more limited than that considering how Yuma describes the ability), Yuya outright changes his cards to a new type of card never seen before and creates Fusion Monsters to help his main card.

Judai is an odd case in that he isn't directly cheating, the manga describes him as having extremely high draw luck, which is a bullshit talent but not technically unfair. Even when he does get supernatural powers they're used mostly out of battle, I can't think of any moment Judai uses his Supreme King powers or Jubel to cheat. On the other hand, there is no way in hell he's actually carrying all the Fusion Monsters he uses.

Yugi, Kaiba, and Jounouchi all use the mythic dragon cards to make whatever bullshit they need at the time, too. :v: I loved that, though.
"Oh no! Imperial Order sealing my Deck Destruction Virus?! Fuse Kritias with it to make a bullshit dragon that nukes your field!"
"Oh no! Black Magician Girl isn't strong enough?! Fuse her with Timeaus to make her a dragon rider with a bullshit pump ability!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

On the other hand, there is no way in hell he's actually carrying all the Fusion Monsters he uses.

GX resides in a world where duelists have been freed from the shackles of the 15 card extra deck. :ussr:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Judai is an odd case in that he isn't directly cheating, the manga describes him as having extremely high draw luck, which is a bullshit talent but not technically unfair.

Jaden uses alien cards found in a vision quest/literal trip to outer space.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Believing in the heart of the cards is absolutely not cheating.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Kaiba is the only duelist who doesn't cheat, clearly he is the only true and good duelist.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

mabels big day posted:

Believing in the heart of the cards is absolutely not cheating.

It's what's gotten me to win in Hearthstone more often than not.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

forbidden lesbian posted:

Kaiba is the only duelist who doesn't cheat, clearly he is the only true and good duelist.

Kaiba counterparts are a lot less consistent at cheating ways than Yugi counterparts. Kaiba and Manjoume play fair (apart from that one time Kaiba used the Millennium Rod to gently caress up Ishizu's prediction, and that was not on purpouse), then Jack does the same cheating as Yusei does, then Kaito creates two cards out of thin air (one of which is a Numbers so I guess it's somewhat acceptable in the series proper) but nothing more than that, and until now Reiji has played entirely fair (unless you count being able to create his own Pendulum Monsters legally like Pegasus created his Toons cheating)

Xoidanor posted:

GX resides in a world where duelists have been freed from the shackles of the 15 card extra deck. :ussr:

The 15 card limit was added when the Fusion Deck became the Extra Deck. By GX's time, there was no limit on the amount of cards your Extra (back then Fusion) Deck could hold.

Yuma and Astral happily destroy that rule into pieces though, with the sheer amount of Xyz Monsters they have.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

What about that time he threatened suicide to win at a card game? That sounds like an illegal play to me.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

What about that time he threatened suicide to win at a card game? That sounds like an illegal play to me.

That just sounds like your standard tournament to me :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

That's not cheating, that's playing to win. Get good, scrub

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kaiba counterparts are a lot less consistent at cheating ways than Yugi counterparts. Kaiba and Manjoume play fair (apart from that one time Kaiba used the Millennium Rod to gently caress up Ishizu's prediction, and that was not on purpouse), then Jack does the same cheating as Yusei does, then Kaito creates two cards out of thin air (one of which is a Numbers so I guess it's somewhat acceptable in the series proper) but nothing more than that, and until now Reiji has played entirely fair (unless you count being able to create his own Pendulum Monsters legally like Pegasus created his Toons cheating)

I don't know who any of those people you're talking about are other then Kaiba so I can only assume they're from not the first series and thus irrelevant to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

No one's going to mention Yuya, Yuzu, Gongenzaka, and Shun's draws that are a loving spectacle to watch with glitter and everything? Yuzu's special draw even includes musical notes. Shun's draw is apparently so strong, it causes birds to fly away. :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Well yeah, Arc-V has people who can blow grown men off their feet with the power of a card draw. Gongenzaka is the only one close to that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThermoPhysical posted:

No one's going to mention Yuya, Yuzu, Gongenzaka, and Shun's draws that are a loving spectacle to watch with glitter and everything? Yuzu's special draw even includes musical notes. Shun's draw is apparently so strong, it causes birds to fly away. :v:

You're arguing this about the series that shows off a guy going through enthusiastic card drawing exercises? That's obviously the result of hard work and lots of practice, god. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Arc-V had a guy last episode who literally punched people in the face if they tried to make certain moves he didn't want them to, I think we've reached the apex of cheating.