Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1. It kinda depends on how bad the fan translation is.

2. Try to keep to the theme we have, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. Not every Jojo was named Joestar.

3. Tokimemo 2

4. Girl's Side 2 is Better, Down Here With Senpai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
4) Awkward sparkly boy-touching! already sounds like a decent thread title.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I can think of a name that encompasses both exceptional female nerdhood and the ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJoeGEEu5L4

The protagonist's name is 倉下 月海, Kurashita Tsukimi. She is an unemployed artist who draws jellyfish. Only ever jellyfish.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
1) If it doesn't matter how much effort you have to expend and it's just a question of time between updates, I absolutely recommend doing it yourself. Personally, it doesn't matter to me at all how slow the updates are, and I think you would definitely come up with something substantially better than the average fan translation.

That said, it probably does matter how much effort you have to expend, and I don't get to decide how many man-hours you want to put into translating dating sims for the internet. It's up to you. Trust in your heart of justice, and all that jazz.

2) 不動軍艦 Fudo Gunkan?

I got nothin'.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
So Sheep, any chance of a TokiMemo2 Kaori run in the future, as a side project? She looks like she's not nearly as difficult as Shirayuki or Kasumi, and seems to have a pretty interesting story attached to her.

1. Translate it yourself, definitely. Language issues like you've described just aren't worth the headache that would ensue. =\
2. Kira kira name.
3. Tokimemo 2 level of detail
4. Stalking Senpai to Get Him to Notice Me

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Marina doesn't work in the EVS. I've tried!

The translator of TMGS1 DS and TMGS3 PSP is the one who's first language isn't English or Japanese. The translator of TMGS2 is someone else, and I don't remember what their first language is. The best description I've heard about the TMGS2 translation is "almost-but-not-quite-right". It's good, and works really well for those of us who don't/barely understand , but there's a lot of literal translation mixed with weird English slang. One line in particular that stands out in my memory went something like, "If you're talking about that thing, that was my bad." I seem to remember that a very common Japanese phrase/sentence part being translated as "oh gosh", so you get a whole game of people saying "gosh" or "oh gosh" to each other, especially the heroine. Anyway, it was something the translator got very defensive about and absolutely refused to change when people pointed out it didn't sound natural at all.

1. Your translations are very good, and I've enjoyed reading them, along with your cultural notes. My vote is to translate it yourself.

2. Either is fine.

3. Any is fine, whatever makes for the best blind run for you. There's a questionnaire at the beginning of the game, and if you haven't looked up what it's for yet, you shouldn't! :allears: Let the stream your heart decide for you!

4. Joke name: Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2: Almost as much boy-poking as Duel Love!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tokimemo Girl's Side 2: Hey, Hey, Senpai, Hey, Hey, Listen, Hey, Do You Love Me Yet

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
I think at this point that doing your own translation is pretty much a thread tradition. Shine on, you crazy diamond, and get senpai to notice us!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
1 - Your translations have been great and I'd be happy if you kept at it, but it's understandable if you want to take a break.
2 - No opinion
3- Archetypes!
4 - Let's play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 - She rubbed me the wrong way

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Poulpe posted:

4 - Let's play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 - She rubbed me the wrong way

I'll admit I laughed, and I'm tossing my vote in for this as thread title.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
1. You should do eet. You're pretty good. :ocelot:
2. Name her 倉下 月海.
3. Archetypes.
4. Let's play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 - She rubbed me the wrong way
Yes please.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
3. Nothing but blood types

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1. Translate it yourself. It's tradition!
2. Kurashita Tsukimi
3. Tokimemo 2 level of detail is fine.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Haifisch posted:

2. Kurashita Tsukimi

This. Your translations are great.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Haifisch posted:

2. Kurashita Tsukimi

This is the best.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Haifisch posted:

2. Kurashita Tsukimi

Gotta go with this

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Haifisch posted:

2. Kurashita Tsukimi

This is good.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Haifisch posted:

2. Kurashita Tsukimi

Also voting for this.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
1.) Translate it yourself.
2.) Goon tradition!
3.) Tokimemo 2 level
4.) Awkward sparkly boy-touching!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

More dumb names!

I'm Sorry, Dave, I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Poke His Penis.

Touch Sensi, Get Dokis

Sha-la-la-la-la-la, Go on and Poke the Boy

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
1.) Translate it yourself. I don't know nearly enough Japanese to comment on the accuracy of the fan translation, but most of its dialogue does not sound natural at all. Every time I try to play it, I get annoyed at how awkward everyone sounds and quit partway through, whereas your translations have all been fantastic.

2.) Mermaid-themed name

3.) Tokimemo 2 level of detail

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bookworm posted:

1.) Translate it yourself. I don't know nearly enough Japanese to comment on the accuracy of the fan translation, but most of its dialogue does not sound natural at all. Every time I try to play it, I get annoyed at how awkward everyone sounds and quit partway through, whereas your translations have all been fantastic.
The translations are very literal, whereas sheep tends to somewhat localize his translations, so this is pretty consistent! Goons are a much more tolerant environment for taking liberties with translation than most of the crazy anime internet, since people will get into a frothing rage if you ~destroy the sanctity of the original Japanese text~.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The translations are very literal, whereas sheep tends to somewhat localize his translations, so this is pretty consistent! Goons are a much more tolerant environment for taking liberties with translation than most of the crazy anime internet, since people will get into a frothing rage if you ~destroy the sanctity of the original Japanese text~.

Agreed. sheep, definitely do it yourself. (Gives it more of a "personal" touch, anyway). We'll understand if this makes it take longer - and your style of humor makes it worth the wait anyway.

Fun and somewhat-relevant bit with localization: I was watching Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 before it left Netflix the other night, and turned the subtitles on just out of curiosity.

Scene: Nene hacks into the NSA, announces this to the others.
Japanese Leon: *something like "wow, how impressive".
American Leon: *likely remembering they're still technically police officers* "That's 20 years..."

The quiet, dry observation is a lot more enjoyable than J!Leon sucking up to her, and gives the scene a bit of unexpected humor that wasn't particularly present in the original script, so the point goes to the long-since defunct ADV Films.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

It's nuts that what Sheep is doing would count as "taking liberties with translation" in the eyes of those people, but you're probably right that it would.

Where does that attitude even come from? Are they so used to reading lovely fanfiction that when they see something that sounds like actual natural English, they don't know how to handle it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's something that drives me nuts. Look at Touhou's fan translations, the early games especially were bad for literally translating puns - that naturally make absolutely no sense in english, which makes the characters sound like blathering morons.

There's natural anger for completely changing the meaning of a scene, or trying to make something 'family friendly' like 4kids. But humor and idioms almost never translate well and should be substituted to get the same meaning without confusing people.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
1.) Translate it yourself.
2.) Mermaid Names, maybe with a goon surname
3.) Tokimemo 2 level

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

It's nuts that what Sheep is doing would count as "taking liberties with translation" in the eyes of those people, but you're probably right that it would.

Where does that attitude even come from? Are they so used to reading lovely fanfiction that when they see something that sounds like actual natural English, they don't know how to handle it?

That attitude comes from somebody who watched the subtitled version before the dubbed version and had similar expectations for the translation/script--in their eyes they know how things 'really' should be so any change is bad, both when it is actually bad and actually isn't. Then sometimes they carry those bum expectations over to other works, which is even more dumb. Nobody wants to read a subtitle-style LN translation or non-voiced video game translation, for instance.

For subtitles you have to be somewhat careful/measured in the liberties you take--since you only have so much time for text to be on screen and readable and it's a little more obvious and sometimes even grating when you're sprucing things up--but with a professional quality (free to edit timing, flaps, etc.) dub you're pretty much free to go full-out on localization and, in fact, really should. For other works, that don't contain voiced dialogue to begin with, space issues can still be a thing though generally speaking it's better to go for as much of a full-localization as the space allows. The literal, probably bland subtitle style translations aren't automatically any more accurate than what you'd usually see in a dub, but, well, due to the nature of how most dubs were done and are sometimes still done today (people translating episode, say, 8 in a series without having seen anything else or worse somebody being given episode 4 and later episode 42 translating characters as if they were still their episode 4 selves) a lot of people just place a false stigma on that style of translation in general. Because things sound more spruced up, they assume they've been spruced up inaccurately due to past experiences with cheaply done dubs/translations.

Still, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a non-troll who didn't like what sheep's been doing for translations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

SorataYuy posted:

Fun and somewhat-relevant bit with localization: I was watching Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 before it left Netflix the other night

Wait, is there a site or something that lets you know when Netflix is going to change their selection and what they're adding/dropping?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Decus posted:

Still, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a non-troll who didn't like what sheep's been doing for translations.
I translated a thing six years ago, and since I felt the Japanese text was pretty dry, I tried to do some localization. One thing. It was pretty light localization, nowhere near Working Designs levels. I still sometimes get hate mail.

I don't think you understand how batshit people get about NO, YOU CHANGED THE IMPLICATIONS OF THE WORDS :byodame:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

There are apparently some people willing to fully immerse themselves in a foreign culture but who are not willing to take the added step of learning the language of that culture. I'm really not sure how or why that happens. I mean, I know that written Japanese is a bloody mess mashed together from three separate forms, but still.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I mean, I know that written Japanese is a bloody mess mashed together from three separate forms, but still.

It's just like spoken English! \o/

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 28, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

There are apparently some people willing to fully immerse themselves in a foreign culture but who are not willing to take the added step of learning the language of that culture. I'm really not sure how or why that happens.

I think I just suck at languages. I've been trying to learn Korean (a relatively simple language) for years. :(

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

mycot posted:

I think I just suck at languages. I've been trying to learn Korean (a relatively simple language) for years. :(

Yeah, I don't think the people that Bobbin are talking about get further than maybe considering trying to learn at some nebulous point in the future.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

vibratingsheep posted:

It's just like spoken English! \o/

Oh, English both spoken and written was mashed together from far more sources than three. For instance, our Anglo-Saxon forefathers adopted Latin characters with silent letters thanks to the influence of French Normans and wound up dropping the Scandinavian letter "thorn" because the German printing presses the English bought lacked the character. Oh, and we stole our numerals from Arabic.

On the other hand, spoken English is mainly sourced from Anglish, Saxon, Celtic (a language family), French, Latin, German, and Danish, and it's also got a spattering of vocabulary from every global region the British Empire ever colonized, which is basically all of them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I was recently in Okinawa and got the opportunity to really practice using my one year of college Japanese a bit. I'm still pretty bad, and speaking way too informally due to anime influence, but I can at least have a bit of conversation.

I tried to lead with English to lower people's expectations, since I don't look obviously foreign (Chinese-American) :v:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I translated a thing six years ago, and since I felt the Japanese text was pretty dry, I tried to do some localization. One thing. It was pretty light localization, nowhere near Working Designs levels. I still sometimes get hate mail.

I don't think you understand how batshit people get about NO, YOU CHANGED THE IMPLICATIONS OF THE WORDS :byodame:
This brings back memories of the big One Piece fansub group(circa 2007 or so) insisting on using nakama all the time because English just can't capture its connotations.

Mysteriously, every work I've seen that did translate nakama made it work just fine.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Oh, and we stole our numerals from Arabic.

What we call the Arabic numerals are not, in fact, Arabic in origin :ssh:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

senrath posted:

What we call the Arabic numerals are not, in fact, Arabic in origin :ssh:

Doesn't change that we stole them from Arabic sources. :colbert:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Haifisch posted:

This brings back memories of the big One Piece fansub group(circa 2007 or so) insisting on using nakama all the time because English just can't capture its connotations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I've seen the complaints about Fire Emblem Awakening. I can guess.

Cripes, the whining over Henry alone...

• Locked thread