Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Frostwerks posted:

What were both positive and negative stereotypes of various nationalities in the ETO? You mentioned friendly fire as American (though I don't know if this is because they were considered skittish and twitchy or because they had poor operational awareness and lit up their own by mistake) which I too have heard before but I was wondering if there were any traits held in esteem even among enemies. I imagine though that one's worldview would have a significant impact on this I realize: someone in their early twenties who spent their formative years under the NS banner probably wouldn't have many kind words to say on behalf of Slavic peoples, but I could be surprised.

There was a joke in the western theatre that the way to identify a distant group of infantry was to fire one shot at them. If they responded with volleys of rifle fire, they're British. If they start shooting machine guns at you, they're German. If they scramble for cover, and five minutes later your position gets destroyed by artillery fire, they're American.

What was the American doctrine of taking territory during WWII? I've read about blitzkrieg and deep battle, but I hardly know anything about how the Western Allies advanced after D-Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

wide stance posted:

Any tanker books like Tigers in the Mud but from an allied perspective in North Africa or the Western Front?

Also, any further reading about the story (myth?) of a Tiger crew having to surrender when 14 Shermans or so were wailing on it, due to concussions or something.

Never heard that one. The most impressive "invincible Tiger" story I've seen was the one in the Tigerfibel where it took two dozen shots from AT guns and managed to crawl back to friendlies with two ruptured torsion bars and other damage.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So I'm still trying to research military jurisprudence...

Spain, Feldlager near Alcantara, 9 Sept 1580.

The Silesian Erich Lassota, from whose reminiscences this anecdote comes, is a common soldier among the Landsknechts who are serving Philip II in his war against Portugal. They have been ordered to leave camp, but they are refusing since they have not been payed. The Obrist rides up and says:

"If anyone sets himself against my order, henceforth I shall not pardon any single person who appeals in a capital case. Instead I will punish everyone according to his crimes, as set down in the Articles of War." With that, he rode away.

The following morning, the regiment broke camp.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 27, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MORE METAL :black101:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found an interview with a Soviet tanker who used a Sherman. Some very neat stories and anecdotes about the Sherman in here.

quote:

- My tank was hit on 19 April 1945 in Austria. A Tiger put a round straight through us. The projectile passed through the entire fighting compartment and then the engine compartment. There were three officers in the tank: I as the battalion commander, the company commander Sasha Ionov (whose own tank had already been hit), and the tank commander. Three officers, a driver-mechanic, and a radio operator. When the Tiger hit us, the driver-mechanic was killed outright. My entire left leg was wounded; to my right, Sasha Ionov suffered a traumatic amputation of his right leg. The tank commander was wounded, and below me sat the gunner, Lesha Romashkin. Both of his legs were blown off. A short time before this battle, we were sitting around at a meal and Lesha said to me, "If I lose my legs I will shoot myself. Who will need me?" He was an orphan and had no known relatives. In a strange twist of fate, this is what happened to him. We pulled Sasha out of the tank and then Lesha, and were beginning to assist in the evacuation of the others. At this moment Lesha shot himself.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

chitoryu12 posted:

I found an interview with a Soviet tanker who used a Sherman. Some very neat stories and anecdotes about the Sherman in here.

Loza has a full book, Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks, which is on Amazon. Definitely an interesting read if you can get ahold of it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chamale posted:

There was a joke in the western theatre that the way to identify a distant group of infantry was to fire one shot at them. If they responded with volleys of rifle fire, they're British. If they start shooting machine guns at you, they're German. If they scramble for cover, and five minutes later your position gets destroyed by artillery fire, they're American.

What was the American doctrine of taking territory during WWII? I've read about blitzkrieg and deep battle, but I hardly know anything about how the Western Allies advanced after D-Day.

There wasn't any kind of formal name for the doctrine, but you can get a glimpse at it by looking at Field Manuals. FM-17, covering armored divisions, FM-6-20, covering the use of artillery on a tactical level, FM-2-20, covering the use of mechanized reconnaissance troops, FM-5-6, covering engineer operations, and FM-7-40, covering the rifle regiment, are all probably fairly fruitful. You should also read up on fire and movement.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

That's depressing. Let us consider, instead, some swagged out dudes and their portraits.

Back in August 2014, the Frick had an exhibition of two paintings, one by Scipione Pulzone of Jacopo Boncompagni, and the other by El Greco of Vincenzo Anastagi.

This is Boncompagni. Painted 1574.

Governor of Castel Sant'Angelo, leader of the pontifical army, and--by purest coincidence I am sure--bastard of the current pope. His portrait is by the most sought-after portraitist in Rome, and it's in a style these people loved: clear, precise, almost tromp l'oeil. But I can't really see that sensitive and intelligent face on someone thundering down a field in defense of his father's political agenda. And look at what he's holding: in one hand a piece of correspondence and in the other, instead of a rod of office, a diplomatic dispatch case. Wikipedia says that he "was a patron of arts and culture. Pierluigi da Palestrina dedicated to him the first book of Madrigals...He was also a lover of the theatre and of chess." That seems about right. His last name is what his father's had been before he took his regnal name (Jacopo was legitimized) but even that is chill--it means "good comrades."

Rabadh, if the second Desmond rebellion had succeeded, behold the face of your new king.

This is Anastagi. Painted 1575.

He's not a very noble noble, but he is an experienced infantry officer, and Boncompagni has just appointed him sergeant-major of Castel Sant'Angelo. Perhaps, says the New York Times, this is why he had his portrait done. And consider what it's of: a tough officer, at the peak of his craft. The sash for his sword, the ribbons on his helmet, the belt that holds his breastplate and his backplate together, his tasset buckles, and even the fabric lining his armor (as far as I know, in this period it just goes straight over your jacket, which can be uncomfortable, so die da oben put padded cloth on the inside of their armor--you can see some of it peek out beneath the pauldrons) all match, and they all match his pants. But those are the shoes of a man who knows what his job entails. Plain leather, low heels, tied with ribbons as utilitarian as the garters that hold up his sturdy stockings.

But imagine commissioning this thing and then receiving the finished product, because it might be of an Italian nobleman but it's not about that at all, it's about paint and what it means to put paint on a canvas. Look at the light on Anastagi's armor, the curtain in the background, that wall and floor. You've requested a little soliloquy on who you are and why you own and you've just gotten some Greek weirdo musing about the distance between an art's medium and its subject matter--it's like expecting a formal portrait and getting Nude Descending a Staircase. The target audience would not like it, because for people like Anastagi that's not what painting does. Not to mention that a full-length portrait of someone of his low social rank (especially when his new boss just had only a three-quarter portrait done?) is...inadvisable.

In 1756 El Greco left Rome.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/22/arts/design/men-in-armor-el-greco-and-pulzone-at-the-frick-collection.html

Getting caught up after a rough few weeks but I had to give this post some appreciation. This is how you do history. Evidence, context, argument,

Also, someone asked about panzer corps and eastern front atrocities. The short answer is that there still needs to be more research done, but they pitched in like everyone else when asked. I know there was a good article published a couple years back about one particular massacre by a tank regiment and I'm pretty sure there's a book coming out soon from a younger guy on that subject. I'll throw up some details when I have access to my notes again.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Getting caught up after a rough few weeks but I had to give this post some appreciation. This is how you do history. Evidence, context, argument,
A good green is pretty hard to make so this is also a display of technical virtuosity on both El Greco's part and the part of the people who made Anastagi's pants and kitted out his harness.

Edit: Also, check out Boncompagni's Wikipedia entry. (He's listed here as Giacomo, I guess they used both that name and Jacopo?) He was refined as all hell, but was able to carve out a nice little niche for himself until the next administration pried him out of it:

quote:

Despite all the political and military charges he had been able to assign to his son, Gregory aimed to carve out for him a true state. After a failed attempt of acquisition of the Marquisate of Saluzzo in 1577, in the same year the pope paid 70,000 golden scudi for the small Marquisate of Vignola to Alfonso II d'Este. Two years later it was the turn of the larger Duchy of Sora and Arce, for which the pope and Giacomo paid 100,000 golden scudi to Francesco Maria II of Urbino.

In 1583, in reward of other 243,000 golden scudi, Giacomo acquired also the large Duchy of Aquino and Arpino in the Kingdom of Naples, bought from the D'Avalos family. When Gregory died, Boncompagni was the most powerful man in central Italy, and, at the command of 2,000 infantry and some light cavalry, took the task to pacify the situation during the sede vacante period. However, at the election of Sixtus V he was stripped of all his charges in the Papal States.
I love early modern Roman politics. The changeovers are always hilarious, and not only do you have the powerful fighting each other during Vacant See, at these times the people of Rome reclaim (or attempt to reclaim) their ancient right to self-governance. This is how transitions of government work in a culture that has an early modern conception of where power comes from, everything always flakes out for a while.

Also you can buy a little marquisate lol

Edit 2: Meanwhile, this is what Anastagi did about ten years before that picture was made.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 27, 2015

Frantz
Jan 10, 2013
Hi!
I guess this is not strictly speaking history (as of yet anyway), but have any of you book-loving goons read "An Intimate War: An Oral History of the Helmand Conflict" by Mike Martin? If so, what did you think?

At a glance it seems like he has some very well made points about the problems of the last 30 or so years of conflict in the region, but I'm not really an expert on the subject. Seeing as I'm still a student, and therefore have little to no extra cash for "read this for fun"-type deals, I was hoping to hear if it is worth it, or if I should look for something else to spend my precious fun-money on :)

Also, this is awesome! Does it by any chance exist as a poster one can buy?

FAUXTON posted:

MORE METAL :black101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

wide stance posted:

Any tanker books like Tigers in the Mud but from an allied perspective in North Africa or the Western Front?

Also, any further reading about the story (myth?) of a Tiger crew having to surrender when 14 Shermans or so were wailing on it, due to concussions or something.

I feel like mentioning Stalingrad here, where one T-34s armour was too thick for German grenadiers to penetrate, so they just kept wailing on the front plate, till the crew emerged to surrender, all completely deaf.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Frantz posted:

Hi!
I guess this is not strictly speaking history (as of yet anyway), but have any of you book-loving goons read "An Intimate War: An Oral History of the Helmand Conflict" by Mike Martin? If so, what did you think?

At a glance it seems like he has some very well made points about the problems of the last 30 or so years of conflict in the region, but I'm not really an expert on the subject. Seeing as I'm still a student, and therefore have little to no extra cash for "read this for fun"-type deals, I was hoping to hear if it is worth it, or if I should look for something else to spend my precious fun-money on :)

Inter-library loan it! If your uni library has Link+ or something similar, they can get it from another library and get it to you in a week or two.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Tias posted:

I feel like mentioning Stalingrad here, where one T-34s armour was too thick for German grenadiers to penetrate, so they just kept wailing on the front plate, till the crew emerged to surrender, all completely deaf.

That was Beevor's Stalingrad and the opening days of the invasion to Soviet Union. The tank in question was KV-1, which Beevor described as "KV Tank Monster". According to the story, German panzers lined up and pounded KV until they ran out of ammo. The KV's crew emerged from inside deaf and dazed, but tank did not have a scratch. I'd love to have some verification to this story.

Frantz
Jan 10, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Inter-library loan it! If your uni library has Link+ or something similar, they can get it from another library and get it to you in a week or two.

I've tried, all of their copies have been loaned out for ages, with multiple people still in front of me in the queue :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Wait, was friendly-fire a real problem for American forces in WWII? I assumed it was a crack about some of their more recent performances.

I'm not aware of any statistical analysis that suggests the US was any worse than anyone else about friendly fire in WWII. You see Cobra listed a lot but at least in terms of bodycount it is pretty mild, especially compared to some of the stuff the Brits did. Cap Arcona was the worst I know of by far; they also had significant incidents in North Africa and a couple in Normandy. Submarines from all sides were fond of wasting friendlies, the Germans in particular.

The wikipedia list obviously has the flaws of any wiki thing but at least on cursory glance it appears the Brits won both the bodycount and number of incidents contest by a mile. That being said, if I had to guess I suspect the Red Army would beat the Brits handily if we had perfect data.

Chamale posted:

This is speaking very broadly, but I think the best description is a focus on combined arms and support-by-fire. In other words, combined arms teams were the basic building block; operations were conducted employing as much firepower as possible from all sources. In practice this usually meant fixing opponents with maneuver units, then using artillery and air power to reduce them without a whole lot of additional manuevering. This was a pretty good plan for a theater where the US had such a massive advantage in artillery density and air superiority.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 27, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pyle posted:

That was Beevor's Stalingrad and the opening days of the invasion to Soviet Union. The tank in question was KV-1, which Beevor described as "KV Tank Monster". According to the story, German panzers lined up and pounded KV until they ran out of ammo. The KV's crew emerged from inside deaf and dazed, but tank did not have a scratch. I'd love to have some verification to this story.

Ack, you're right :eng99: I only have the Danish translation, in which it's merely "a tank", which I took to be a T-34, since the previous paragraph rambles on about quick T-34 deployment from factory to streetfight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Operationally speaking the US didn't really have a single land doctrine in ww2. The Pacific theatre was its own crwature. Operation torch demonstrated an ability and willingness to expend vast resources in order to achieve conventional but impractical for other belligerents goals like opening a second front. US generals liked to criticise Monty for being slow, but Eisenhower was the top-down proponent of the allied broad-front advance on the west front. Bradley was solid but lacked the ground or resources to make his mark, Patton talked the talk of mobile warfare but liked to throw his men at defended forts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
From the link early about Russian Shermans:

quote:

The Sherman was light years better in this regard. Did you know that one of the designers of the Sherman was a Russian engineer named Timoshenko? He was some shirt tail relative of Marshal S. K. Timoshenko.

This reminds me of Chekov from Star Trek. :D

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

But the solid-shot on the JS was so powerful that one hit was sufficient for anything. When we went into Vienna, they gave us a battery of heavy JSU-152s, three of them (In his book Loza called them SAU-152, I specially asked him about these vehicles, he said they were based on JS chassis, therefore they were JSU-152. -Valeri). How they held us back! On the highway we could make 70 km/h with our Shermans and the JSUs barely moved. When we got into Vienna there was an incident that I described in my book. The Germans counterattacked us with several Panthers. The Panther was a heavy tank. I ordered an JSU to move forward and engage the German tanks. "Well, take a shot!" And oh, did it shoot! I must say that the streets in Vienna were narrow, the buildings tall, and many wanted to watch this engagement between a Panther and an JSU. They remained in the street. The JSU let loose and the impact knocked the Panther backward (from the distance of 400-500 meters). Its turret separated from the hull and landed some meters away. But as a result of the shot broken glass fell from above. Vienna had many leaded-in windows and all of these fell on our heads. To this day I blame myself that I did not foresee this! We had so many injured! It was a good thing that we were wearing helmets, but our arms and shoulders were all cut up. This, my first, experience of fighting in a large city was sad indeed. We still say, "A clever man does not go into a city, but bypasses it." But in this case I had specific orders to go into the city.

Everyone being hyped to see the ISU-152 take out a Panther getting pelted by glass shards after the shot is the best

e: well, except for the guys in the Panther who were probably liquified

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 27, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eej posted:

Everyone being hyped to see the ISU-152 take out a Panther getting pelted by glass shards after the shot is the best

e: well, except for the guys in the Panther who were probably liquified

If you watch the GoPro videos of T-72s in Syria, you'll see just how much wanton destruction heavy guns cause in urban areas. They completely fill the immediate surroundings with dust and smoke, shatter windows and knock things over, and potentially even light nearby flammables on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsDP5DznDQ

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

With the Chilembwe Uprising well in hand, the authorities start thinking about settling down for some good old-fashioned mass reprisals. Meanwhile, in Singapore, there's serious problems brewing among the Indian troops currently garrisoned there.

Today's paper swings from the sublime to the ridiculous; there's a highly interesting coroner's inquest into the shooting of two officers after their car was stopped by a Territorial Army guard, and the current state of the mining market is described in terms better suited to a bowel movement.

edit: Also, I went on the Internet, and I found this: a picture of a German dugout literally all wearing their underpants on their head like Captain Blackadder...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 27, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

Here is an incident from Hungary. We had a trophy German "letuchka" (light maintenance truck). We had penetrated into the German rear in column. We were going along a road and our light truck had fallen back. Then another light German truck, just like our own, attached itself to the back of our column. A while later our column halted. I was walking down the column, checking vehicles. "Is everything in order?" Everything was fine. I approached the last vehicle in the column and asked, "Sasha, is everything OK?" In response I heard "Vas?" What was this? Germans! I immediately jumped to the side and cried out "Germans!" We surrounded them, a driver and two others. We disarmed them and only then did our own light truck come up the road. I said, "Sasha, where were you?" He responded, "We got lost." "Well, look," I said to him, "Here is another light truck for you!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I know a lot about WW2, but I never knew the first Royal Navy vessel lost was sunk by another RN boat while they were both skulking around neutral waters. Classic British military action: malicious and stupid.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

If you watch the GoPro videos of T-72s in Syria, you'll see just how much wanton destruction heavy guns cause in urban areas. They completely fill the immediate surroundings with dust and smoke, shatter windows and knock things over, and potentially even light nearby flammables on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsDP5DznDQ

Some of my favourite parts of documents on the Battle of Berlin are soldiers bemoaning how it takes 2-3 76 mm shots to make a hole in a building big enough to send troops through, unlike a 152 mm shell, which makes the building disappear .

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Some of my favourite parts of documents on the Battle of Berlin are soldiers bemoaning how it takes 2-3 76 mm shots to make a hole in a building big enough to send troops through, unlike a 152 mm shell, which makes the building disappear .

Which did they consider worse, that it took a few shots or that they went in afterwards?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

xthetenth posted:

Which did they consider worse, that it took a few shots or that they went in afterwards?

The taking a few shots, the buildings were quite stable despite holes being punched through. Usually.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's other videos of BMPs being used for urban combat. They punch holes the size of a dinner plate in everything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wide stance posted:

ANYTHING by Patrick Delaforce will be pretty heavily based on his own experience with the RHA and then the RTR. Troop Leader: A Tank Commander's Story by Bill Bellamy with the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars. As already mentioned, http://iremember.ru/en/ is ALWAYS the place to go for Russian primary source stories of :black101: and :smith:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Tanks in urban environs always sounds like a horrible idea. Especially in WW2 era tanks where a dozen people chucking molotovs could gently caress one up.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's why they had a squad of guys riding on top of them to suppress anyone that pokes their face out within 100-150 meters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

Tanks in urban environs always sounds like a horrible idea. Especially in WW2 era tanks where a dozen people chucking molotovs could gently caress one up.

From what I've heard regarding Iraq, armored vehicles actually performed way better in urban environments than anyone expected. Obviously you don't want to send lone vehicles into hostile territory with no support, but a properly supported tank can and will gently caress major poo poo up. It helps that the Abrams is a tough nut to crack open anyway, so it's not like someone can just hurl a Molotov onto a buttoned-up tank and wait for the crew to bail.

I think remotely operated MGs are also a big boon, since they can be safely used to fire up into buildings without anyone exposing themselves to danger.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's why they had a squad of guys riding on top of them to suppress anyone that pokes their face out within 100-150 meters.

Don't think that anyone was actually fighting from the top of the tank, unless you have sources that say otherwise.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rhymenoserous posted:

Tanks are really useful for dominating the streets and providing direct fire support. The idea that they're totally worthless in cities is crazy.

The US army doctrine in ww2 was theoretically not a whole lot different from the German one, but it's very difficult to ascribe a 'doctrine' to each country in ww2 because the way each country's army acted tended to violate it much of the time. If you want to see general trends, the US Army had the largest divisions of any combatant in ww2, and these divisions were bulked out with everything, from motor transport, to getting an independent tank battalion each. This is because the US decided to field only 90 divisions during the war(that number turned out to be only 87) The US Army quickly recognized the value of supporting armor in infantry attacks, though the post-war army would eventually become composed of formations based off the US Armored divisions instead with the armor and armored infantry battalions training together, providing better coordination.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having watched a bunch of Syrian tank videos, am I correct in thinking that they seem unable/unwilling to use their infantry properly? Driving a lone T72 down an alley so narrow you can't even traverse the turret fully, with multi-storey apartment blocks on either side, seems like absolute madness and you get the impression that the only reason their losses aren't more severe is just a shortage of AT weapons among the rebels.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Slavvy posted:

Having watched a bunch of Syrian tank videos, am I correct in thinking that they seem unable/unwilling to use their infantry properly? Driving a lone T72 down an alley so narrow you can't even traverse the turret fully, with multi-storey apartment blocks on either side, seems like absolute madness and you get the impression that the only reason their losses aren't more severe is just a shortage of AT weapons among the rebels.

Well, Assad is just throwing whatever he has at the problem, and whatever the attrition rate for tanks in Urban warfare is, it's at least as bad for infantrymen. His problems probably partly relate to the fact his tanks are kind of lovely, probably mediocre tank crew training, and the widespread diffusion of cheap AT in the form of RPGs, which, while not that good, can still do a lot when they're plunging on to the top of the tank, as the Russians themselves have discovered in some of their central Asian adventures.

The biggest problem tanks have in urban environments is that they can be hit from the top and the back very easily, but that's a problem an infantryman has x100 in the same environment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Slavvy posted:

In the particular video that was linked there did seem to be infantry running all over the place. I too was sceptical, but then sure enough they'd come scampering out periodically. But the tanks certainly did seem get ahead of them a lot.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

More often soldiers would hide AT guns is crazy places like cellars or storefronts and blast any tanks they saw coming. I can't imagine the noise.

The Americans gave up trying to fight through the streets of Aachen and started to level the city block by block. That, or haul artillery guns to the front line and blast holes into buildings at point blank for the infantry to mouse through.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

PittTheElder posted:

In the particular video that was linked there did seem to be infantry running all over the place. I too was sceptical, but then sure enough they'd come scampering out periodically. But the tanks certainly did seem get ahead of them a lot.

I don't remember anyone praising arab army training, so it just might be that the infantry isn't exactly trained to support tanks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh hey, something like that almost happened to my grandad. He and his buddy pulled into camp late at night, heard a bunch of people speaking German, and just crept back out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Well, Assad is just throwing whatever he has at the problem, and whatever the attrition rate for tanks in Urban warfare is, it's at least as bad for infantrymen. His problems probably partly relate to the fact his tanks are kind of lovely, probably mediocre tank crew training, and the widespread diffusion of cheap AT in the form of RPGs, which, while not that good, can still do a lot when they're plunging on to the top of the tank, as the Russians themselves have discovered in some of their central Asian adventures.

The biggest problem tanks have in urban environments is that they can be hit from the top and the back very easily, but that's a problem an infantryman has x100 in the same environment.

I'd agree with you if it were an army fighting another army but in this case it's an army (however inept, still an army with organised structure and discipline and supplies et al) fighting civilian guerillas. The army is able to bust out the BMP's and just vomit out a whole bunch of infantry and tanks wherever they like, they also have artillery. You'd think that would be enough to oust the rebels. I also don't think the T72's are doing particularly worse than most tanks would in that scenario. You wouldn't want them taking on a modern armoured division but they're still a fast and powerful tank when you're facing guerrillas who appear to be limited to RPG's and don't have any really dangerous ATGMs (someone correct me if there are indications to the contrary).

You could also argue T72's were designed with division-level field combat in mind, not resisting rear/top hits at short range.

PittTheElder posted:

In a lot of the videos the tanks appear to be just wandering around in small groups with no infantry in sight. I get the feeling they're approaching it backwards and trying to get the tanks to lead the way instead of having infantry clear the buildings with tanks as cover.

• Locked thread